Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm sick of hearing tales of 19th century prisoners dining on lobster and washing it down with oysters.

I'm sick of hearing tales of poor 90's families buying junk skirt steak for $4/lb and having a feast.

And with a little google-fu, I may as well be sick of various peoples throughout time and geography enjoying caviar, sushi and foie gras without having to ransack the nethers of their couches to pay for it.

Above: A 19th century lobster wench gathers fodder for convicted vagabonds.

So what are the hidden gems out there? What can get serious bang for my buck if I resist the natural urge to upchuck?

One problem is that undesirability and unfindability typically go hand-in-hand. For suggestions, it would be nice to have a mixture of "Yeah so you'll basically only find this at Amish co-ops" and "Just ask the mexican grocer nicely, they probably have it in back" and "It's next to the cheerios".

Personally, I am fairly grateful that you can get beef shank for under $5/lb where I live (Florida). It used to be incredibly rare until about 1-2 years ago; now it's always stocked at my favorite haunts. For those of you who don't know, it becomes wonderful and collageny (I think that's the word?) after a braise. Also it comes with a bone with marrow included. That marrow is delicious (and probably healthy).

That's basically all I got. Help me out here. Thanks. (Yes you can suggest bugs if you know what you're talking about).

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

feelz good man posted:

Isn't this thread adding to the problem then?

We swear an oath only to reveal the secrets of this thread to our friends on the condition that they cannot in turn reveal them to their friends.

Skirt steak skated by on that code of honor for over 10,000 years before Hernando Fajita betrayed it. <spit>

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 21, 2015

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Croatoan posted:

Wait, so skirt steak is expensive now?

Like $12/lb where I am. And every cut except maybe filet goes on sale now and again to get cheaper than that. Finding skirt on sale basically only happens when the family that usually buys them is on vacation or something. Best I can figure, anyhow.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

OXTAIL IS 6.50 A LB WTF

I bought a publix greenwise london broil for less. Holy balls.

By the way, london broil is fantastic marinated in italian dressing and soy sauce, then grilled rare. Get it on sale!

London broil is typically $7/lb but goes on 2-for-1 sale pretty often where I am. $3.50/lb is a goddamned steal.

This marinade is cheap and amazing (and I use it with london broil instead of flank steak because of the steal-factor indicated above:). The marinade stuff is on the left column. Don't worry about the white pepper. Nobody uses white pepper. Especially not in a loving marinade.

• Locked thread