Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's all about the tripe, man. Super cheap and wonderfully versatile. Back-in-the-day, it is what poor people ate (along with oysters and lobster). Great stuff. If you boil it, it is soft and silky. If you fry it up, nice and crunchy. It is basically a noodle made out of meat and it is fantastic. So many different varieties too. When you start with it, stick to beef and, initially, go for the more "feathery" ones as opposed to the more "honeycomb" ones. That is going to give you a lot more neutral of a profile to work with, at least in my experience.

Same could be said about basically another other bit of offal. Hearts are awesome and have already been mentioned. Try a few different types and see what organs sing to you. Read up on how to prepare them, since offal normally needs a little more processing at home than other cuts. Also, in contrast to other types of meat, I'd say start with tried-and-true recipes as opposed to just cooking them on their own to get a hold of their flavor. Offal can have some strong flavors that may not be initially appealing but, in the context of a recipe, are loving awesome.

Also: goat. I loving love goat. It has gotten more expensive in recent years but it is still going to be significantly cheaper than lamb. I started eating goat because it was a low-cost alternative to lamb but over the years, I've come to actively prefer it. Goat can be very tough, so cook it low and slow, brine it, all that good stuff. Make a barbeque sauce with prunes, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin and habeneros. Goes loving great with goat. Goat and prunes generally get along. Make some tagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Croatoan posted:

Huevos del toro is still pretty cheap.

Nature's chicken mcnuggets

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The real trick is to have your buddy text you the cut you want in either Chinese or Hangul, then show it to the butcher on your phone. If the place doesn't do English, you are in for major savings.

I have less luck at Halal markets because the meat is usually . . . Halal and there is a significant mark-up for that. Back in Indianapolis, I could go to an international market that had a Halal and a non-Halal butcher. So, you could get some choice meats for rock bottom prices. So good.

That said, I'll take the produce out here in California anyday. You want a real treat, that's where it is at. I'll take a real tomato over any cut of meat anyday.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Filipino cooking in general is poised to be the next "big" thing. It's already reached local saturation. Get on that bandwagon while it is still cheap and awesome.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
White mushroom broth is super tasty and served at many high end restaurants. White mushrooms aren't going anywhere in terms of prices.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Couldn't you just grind it up to make a fishball? The bone would add some calcium.

Or get them while they are super young, like anchovies, and just eat them whole, bones-and-all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
To me "bone broth" was always when you made stock but waited too long so the bones turned to mush and you had to strain it. And even after you strained it, it was still sorta gritty and gross. Basically, a polite way of describing stock that got hosed up.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Tripe is a noodle made out of meat and it is wonderful. Lately, I've been on a trippa alla romagna kick and it is wonderful.

I know I'm late on the Sweetbreads but I'm on time with the tripe! Just wrap the sweetbreads in tripe and make Kokoretsi. It is a good idea.

I always end up preparing my tripe the "European" way and it is good but lacks that essential "crunch" that I really love in asian tripe. Is it just pig vs. beef/lamb or is there something with the preparation? Not the honeycomb tripe, I think that is always going to be a little softer, but the more billowy tripe (like you get in pho). When I cook that at home it is an overcooked noodle and I want al dente.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Aaaand this sounds bad. I don't want meat with a crunch. Pray tell, what is the European way?

What Mario tells you to do: simmer the ever loving gently caress out of it. Forever.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I collect them all the time from the roads around here. They are delicious.

I always want to do this. Stupid question, but how can you tell if they are ripe and do they ripen after harvest?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Only time I've ever made/had them I just breaded and deep fried them. I'm not a huge fan because testicles are nature's Chicken McNugget. They have the same taste and texture as liquified chicken mess. That's actually probably where we got the inspiration. But had to used better quality meat that has been more processed. And make it chicken, because there are more of them.

Testicles: the whitest of meats.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's peasant food. There is a reason why a lot of peasant food is breaded and deep fried. That makes anything taste good.

One of the tragedies of the American genocide is that we don't have more crazy banging recipes for our country's native fauna. I'd say look to Asia but turkey just doesn't have a market share there. When I was in grad school I let some buddies of mine borrow my brewing setup to fry a Thanksgiving turkey in mostly duck fat (cut with some canola oil because we were grad students and even with the gutter oil discount pure duck fat was too expensive) and everybody just wondered why Americans like turkey so much. Why not eat duck?

So rock this American cuisine in American style. Fry the poo poo out of it and love it for what it is. Add some remoulada on the side and call it a pinxtos or something if you want to made it transcendent.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Wild Turkey 101 is fantastic.

And me, I'm the guy who loves turkey. After Thanksgiving, I used to buy several birds on discount and eat them over the next few months. The dryness is a vehicle and an excuse for gravy. The trick is to make proper gravy with a real roux.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Make done a d use the turkey to cut the lamb. Saves money but has lamb goodness.

Speaking of lamb goat is very cheap and very delicious

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

The idea is a super cheap delicacy. If we just wanted cheap wed Be swapping rice and bean recipes. Heart has a wonderful depth of flavor so it isn't money saving it is just delicious and relatively affordable.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Black truffle. It's like $250/lb as opposed to $1K+/lb for the superior white truffle. The real trick if you are in the PNW is to source some garlic truffle. It's rare but not really that expensive.

Also, candycaps man. They are starting to get more well known but they add a really nice maple-y depth, like fenugreek and aren't that expensive.

Go against the gluten free train and grab some mock duck at your local Chinese grocer. Pretty much 100% gluten and pretty much 100% awesome. Goes great in sammies and anywhere else you'd add some ducky protein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I used to do that with broccoli leaves. So many people just want one part of the plant. So much more fun to have all of the plant.

Depending on where I move, I might be able to grow brussel spout trees, which would be pretty awesome.

In terms of a cheap delicacy, it is hard to beat a good tomato or a good mango. Add some basil to either and make a ghetto caprese. If you can get buffalo mozzarella, then you can go really crazy.

Speaking of water buffalo, Kymak is loving delicious. I haven't had much luck finding it stateside but if you have a good little Turkey/Bulgaria near you, you could get that with honey and call it a day. Super decadent.

• Locked thread