Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Fanfic is a grand human tradition stretching back in time before the advent of the written word. Storytellers have always used the ideas and works of others, especially characters, to inspire them and to reach an audience familiar to the original stories. The myths and legends of Coyote and Heracles and Moses that are accepted in modern times as canon are just collated and edited fanfic of the original tales. Some dude didn't just sit down one day and write the myths of the Greek gods as a complete work. Somebody just decided to write down what the countless storytellers and socially stunted hermits were making up. What we're left with is a curated "best fanfic of 387 b.c.e." anthology.

I am so ready for this thread.

E: the modern bible was curated by committee and general consensus, but even today we have the apocrypha that some accept as canon and some do not.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nah, it's just weird that in 1000 years some Harry Potter fanfic might be considered part of the canon.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Have people not been retelling and changing stories throughout history? No story is created whole cloth.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

CestMoi posted:

It is truly ironic that Homer wrote fanfiction of his favourite Greeks and likewise, in Marge gets hosed by everyone in Springfield I have written fanfiction of HOmer.

See? This guy gets it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nessus posted:

I've heard this a poo poo ton lately and I'd actually say it has it backwards. "Creative remixing," "writing in a shared setting," whatever you want to call it has had a long tradition dating back into the immemorial past. Saying that all of this is retroactively "fanfic" seems like looking at the history of human water transport from the first dugout canoes up through the navies of World War II and saying, "Container transports are a grand human tradition. Look at all of the containers those boats transported!"

It's a purposefully flippant and simplistic interpretation of history through a modern lens, I'll admit. Fan Fiction in the Internet Age is really its own beast; a terribly written, cum-soaked beast.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tunicate posted:

So apparently this was on a Berkley reading list for a fanfic course?

There's some pretty great tumblr drama over the course, since apparently you're not supposed to give fanfic reviews with constructive criticism.

If there's one thing people should do in school that they don't do now, it's learning how to properly give and take a critique. Art classes in college were funny when everyone seized up at critique time.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The only rational emotion is a detached smug disdain.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The disappearance of a student at Hogwarts is no mystery. The school has more than enough money and political clout to cover up the occasional student death.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Earwicker posted:

what is a "banking adventure"?

Hostile takeovers and repo jobs, mostly.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

International finance is actually how muggles use magic.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JosephWongKS seems to enjoy finding the most glowing of reviews for the worst things. It adds to the experience to hear from people who not only think this is not a horrible train wreck, but legitimately think that it is good and worthy of praise.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Harry will be attending a school that teaches the science of magic. Say this thing, use this focus, direct your thoughts properly and you can replicate a spell that will have the same effect every time. There are foundational principles and techniques, that once learned, allow more complex spells to be performed. "It's magic," seems like a perfectly good answer to give a muggle who has had no exposure to the wizarding world when they ask how something magical works. If the little poo poo wants to read up on Sub-Ley-line Aether Flow Theory or something, tell him to go to the campus library.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

froward posted:

HISTORY: Harry stared down soul chompers from azzerban before, by displaying perfect rational lack of fear wrt death.

SOLUTION: So in the next sixty seconds in-story, he refuses to acknowledge the power of the abracadabra spell over his sovereign soul, and it passes right through him, killing a nearby groupthink unicorn. Voldemold is so impressed that he demands/begs to be harry's new disciple. Everyone goes for drinks at the pub and they end up getting so drunk that voldemold and harry make out and it's super awkward the next day, they never talk about it but it casts a pall over their friendship.

Best chapter yet. They just continue to get better and better!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bags of Devouring are their own offshoot of magical storage. Instead of being a portal to an extra-dimensional storage space, it is a disguised feeding orifice of a insatiable cosmic horror. The best magical storage is of course Heward's Handy Haversack. Look it up sometime. It has features a bag of holding can only dream of. Like shoulder straps and pockets. Whatever you're looking for automatically being on top is the most vital feature, though. Every adventurer should have one.

Tunicate posted:

I think it's okay to nest bags of holding or portable holes, but only if you don't mix between the two.

Any of that chicanery usually ends up with ruining the items and dumping your stuff in storage wherever. Catastrophic explosions are usually GM fiat. The only D&D magic items I can think of that explode when broken as per the rules are the Staff of Power and its cousins, where the catastrophic results of such a sundering are often intentionally brought on.

Of course, turning a bag of holding inside-out or puncturing it is supposed to ruin the magic. Does a sewing needle count as puncturing? If so, preventative maintenance is impossible and bags of holding are extremely expensive curios at best.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 5, 2015

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Sc

LowellDND posted:

On the other hand, someone actually did mix Harry Potter and a d20 character https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20

Scrub tier. Gandalf was only a 5th level a Magic User.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

Saying that, please tell me there's a section on firebreathing dragons.

I hope he is ignorant of real fire-breathing creatures if he does.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I can only hope that this Harry gets sorted into Hufflepuff because nobody likes him.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Using rape as a tittering schoolboy swear was mildly popular in my youth. Usually used as "you got raped," or "I'm going to rape you" in the sense of someone getting trounced in a competition. Though it was sometimes used in the same manner as it was in this story, such as "she's so annoying, I'd love to rape her to teach her a lesson." Kids are shitheads. Kids also usually don't fully understand the full implications of their statements.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to defend the writing, mostly just pointing out that this was "a thing" at some point in time in my slice of America. Did I read it wrong or did Harry suggest he and Draco murder someone to become better friends before Draco dropped the revenge rape bit?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Also, JWKS threads are for mockery.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That, and the fact that parents are ok sending their children to a school where the students are constantly exposed to unnecessary danger. Hogwarts has a GOOD reputation. Just think how horrifying a shittier school would be. Defense against the dark arts classes sometimes involve live fire exercises with little oversight.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Nessus posted:

Also, "surprise sex." Really.

Girls love surprises. They're romantic and show that you have the capacity for spontaneity.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tupperwarez posted:

Ron Weasley: Jobber for Life

If he'd stand up for himself every now and again, the promoters might not stick Ron on curtain jerker duty every time.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Job was the original jobber. No respect.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I went to the Oracle and asked her, "O, seer of things unseen, who is the wisest among the muggles?"

She paused for a moment and then replied, "you are, EliezerHarry, for you alone know that you know nothing."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Weird, its like reading my mentality when I was 12. 'I'm smarter then you and I know it, but if it takes effort I don't want to show it.'

I can't find the article, but there is a school of thought in which telling kids they are smart actually does harm, as opposed to saying they worked hard. If they find something hard, they think its cuz they aren't smart (which is the source of their validation), so they avoid it. If they are told they succeed through work, they think they just need to work harder to understand the material.

He seems... oddly underdeveloped in a lot of ways.

This is me IRL.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I'm not sure I see the problem in the catgirl scenario. Like, if you get tired of your furry fuckdolls, just leave the volcano lair and hang out with some of the other people in paradise.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

Chapter 8: Positive Bias
Part Five

At least Eliezer is self-aware that Eliezarry is condescending and obnoxious. So that’s a start, I guess?

No wait a minute, there’s also the bit about “that was secondary to finding out what she’d done wrong”. That implies that Eliezer thinks that if someone is being condescending to you, the onus is on you to be condescended to in order to find out “what you’d done wrong”. He’s merely justifying Eliezarry’s being so unlikable and annoying.

That can't be right. You'd have to be some sort of obnoxious, condescending prick to think like that.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

"Legacyspy" posted:

examples of consequences of preferring dust specks to torture.

Being a decent human being with basic empathy.

E: people are anything but consistent in their views and practices.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

petrol blue posted:

I sat down and thought about the best choice for ages, invalidating the benefit of choosing optimally. :ohdear:

You fool! Now neither event will take place!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I guess I have a fair amount of empathy with Yud. I have a lot of problems in common with him, but I try to challenge my laziness, my aversion to challenge, and I certainly know I'm not smart. I have superficial knowledge of a wide variety of topics and can sound convincing, but if you sit me down and we start getting deep into apologetics or whatever, I'll start trying to refer you to actual experts rather than try to impress you. We're pretty much the same age, and while I went to college, it never worked out for many reasons, so our education is roughly equal. He definitely knows way more half-remembered science poo poo than I do. The main thing I have over Yud is about five solid years of regular therapy and a desire to improve myself. Maybe I should just stop all of that and start a scam charity/cult, write terrible fiction and smugly dismiss all criticism. It seems to work for a fair number of people, judging by earlier links in this thread. Being self-described as "monogamous with several submissive playmates" while keeping a straight face would be real hard, but I've done some theater work. I think I can hack it with practice.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Did...did Yud just write a weeaboo format "novel" about a girl edging?

E; I'm only basing that on the quoted bit above

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 30, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tunicate posted:

In the same way you upgrade a computer from windows 98 to Windows ME.

As with most of Yud's writing, its all about ME.

ME...METRO...TROPES...TRIPE!

I think I've cracked the Yud-Windows Code, fellas!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

My god! Did a Hogwarts professor just suggest a safe and logical approach to learning magic? That can't be right. Surely, instead of a marshmallow, McGonnagall meant a deadly viper, to properly motivate Harry to sustain the spell long-term.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

It's a complicated subject. D&D and its derivatives have the same problem with shape-changing spells and what they do or don't allow one to do. Pathfinder broke its polymorph spell down into a bunch of separate spells with clearly defined boundaries to help curtail abuse and confusion, for example. That doesn't mean it makes for exciting reading though. I'm sure a good author could have fun with the subject, but Yud.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I've heard 40 YO dudes getting paid barely more than minimum wage working three jobs to keep their kids fed tell me about the evils of unions and welfare programs. Hearing anti-union stuff from a kid might be refreshing because I can at least pretend their ignorance comes from lack of experience.

poo poo, when I got hired at Walmart, the first thing they made me do was watch a video about the evils of unions, after which they made it clear that even talking about unions in any capacity while employed by Walmart was grounds for immediate termination. In an at-will employment state, this was not an idle threat.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Did they actually hire Pinkertons to come in and smash up your workspace a little if you talk about such things? As a warning? Because that's some gilded age poo poo.

No, they'd just use it as a pretense to fire you if they didn't like you. I was working for them in Missouri, an at-will employment state.

Missouri doesn't have any labor laws except a few involving minors in the entertainment industry, however they define that, and time and a half for anything past 40 hours. The rest of the labor protections only exist because they are federally mandated. Breaks, vacation, sick days, maximum allowable hours a week and a lot more stuff are entirely optional and between you and the employer as far as the state is concerned. Employers still provide those things currently because workers still expect them, but the longer things stay as economically lovely they are, the more likely those "perks" go out the window. Welcome to Middle American capitalism!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

He was accelerating as fast as possible to his maximum speed, so almost but not quite the speed of light, to reach a sprint or whatever. The fact that the acceleration period is negligible by human standards isn't the point. Also the fact that this is a paradox is explained by wizards.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Ancient man did some pretty complicated math poo poo in his brain without the aid of writing, so I think Yud is making the false assumption that many historians do that people in the past were less intelligent or interested in knowledge than we are now. I would think the elders would have more leisure time and might welcome some mathematics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

divabot posted:

You know, you really should read The Sequences Arbital.

My very favourite piece so far is The Rocket Alignment Problem.

I somehow made it through that Rocket Alignment Problem. I'm not sure what the point of that was. Was it that fictional rocket engineers are bad at calculating curved trajectories and that MIRI are a bunch of obtuse unhelpful cunts?