Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I'm not reading any of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Fanfic is a grand human tradition stretching back in time before the advent of the written word. Storytellers have always used the ideas and works of others, especially characters, to inspire them and to reach an audience familiar to the original stories. The myths and legends of Coyote and Heracles and Moses that are accepted in modern times as canon are just collated and edited fanfic of the original tales. Some dude didn't just sit down one day and write the myths of the Greek gods as a complete work. Somebody just decided to write down what the countless storytellers and socially stunted hermits were making up. What we're left with is a curated "best fanfic of 387 b.c.e." anthology.

I am so ready for this thread.

E: the modern bible was curated by committee and general consensus, but even today we have the apocrypha that some accept as canon and some do not.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

Nah, it's just weird that in 1000 years some Harry Potter fanfic might be considered part of the canon.

This is second place though