Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alternative Markets is clearly going to pay for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

Because "Terr" doesn't have to end in "rist!"

(Good GOD terrascapes are expensive...)

They are, but they are also totally worth it, in fact if you get the virtue that increases their output then it's a good idea to just spam as many of them as you can afford.

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, but it's so much more fun to build a billion of these things:

And go full-on EMPRAH :commissar: I mean, why the hell else would we put hooded statues on a moving gun cathedral?

Where the hell is the tech that lets you build them? I'm playing a purity game right now and can't for the life of me find it. I don't know the name of the unit so I can't Civ-o-pedia it either. I just want to grind everyone into dust, damnit.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Where the hell is the tech that lets you build them? I'm playing a purity game right now and can't for the life of me find it. I don't know the name of the unit so I can't Civ-o-pedia it either. I just want to grind everyone into dust, damnit.

That's the LEV Destroyer, the Purity ultimate unit like Supremacy's ANGEL and Harmony's Xeno Titan. You need the Tactical LEV tech and it's basically a gigantic hovering artillery piece with enough strength to fight capably in melee. I personally feel it's not super great unless you get the Supremacy version so it doesn't have to set up prior to attacking, at which point it becomes amazing but that might just be me.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

AmishSpecialForces posted:

It's the LEV Destroyer, you get that from the Tactical LEV tech.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

That's the LEV Destroyer, the Purity ultimate unit like Supremacy's ANGEL and Harmony's Xeno Titan. You need the Tactical LEV tech and it's basically a gigantic hovering artillery piece with enough strength to fight capably in melee. I personally feel it's not super great unless you get the Supremacy version so it doesn't have to set up prior to attacking, at which point it becomes amazing but that might just be me.

On a related note, I find it amusing that the basic Purity starship in the spinoff game Sid Meier's Starships looks almost identical to the LEV Destroyer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

On a related note, I find it amusing that the basic Purity starship in the spinoff game Sid Meier's Starships looks almost identical to the LEV Destroyer.

Purity is basically 40k SPESS MUHREENS so it's not surprising; space marine starships are basically giant spacefaring cathedrals with guns taped to every surface not covered in flags or symbolism, which is basically exactly what the LEV Destroyer is.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

Purity is basically 40k SPESS MUHREENS so it's not surprising; space marine starships are basically giant spacefaring cathedrals with guns taped to every surface not covered in flags or symbolism, which is basically exactly what the LEV Destroyer is.

Yeah, I mean have you seen their civlopedia entry? It mentions how at the heart of every LEV Destroyer there is an Old Earth relic of some kind, and that "should we be concerned with the growing religiosity of their crews? Certainly not!" followed by something like (this is from memory, I can't be bothered to open up beyond earth just to look at pedia entrys)"those paladins who fight with the greatest tools should understand and respect the burden they carry".

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah, I mean have you seen their civlopedia entry? It mentions how at the heart of every LEV Destroyer there is an Old Earth relic of some kind, and that "should we be concerned with the growing religiosity of their crews? Certainly not!" followed by something like (this is from memory, I can't be bothered to open up beyond earth just to look at pedia entrys)"those paladins who fight with the greatest tools should understand and respect the burden they carry".

The basic Purity unique unit is literally 2 guys in space marine armor with bolters and a third guy also in space marine armor carrying a space marine style flag and a bolt pistol. Subtlety!

AmishSpecialForces
Jul 1, 2008

Agent Interrobang posted:

It's the LEV Destroyer, you get that from the Tactical LEV tech.

Thanks for your help. I was being a dumb and already had the tech/affinity levels but had used up all my floatstone on other poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

The basic Purity unique unit is literally 2 guys in space marine armor with bolters and a third guy also in space marine armor carrying a space marine style flag and a bolt pistol. Subtlety!

Then the third is a space marine dreadnought!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The other one is the... "LEV-Tank" which is kind of a crap name when every T4 tank levitates.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The LEV Tank is basically just an M1 Abrams that floats. Though unlike the T4 tanks it has a ranged attack so it actually functions like a real tank rather than a fast moving swordsman. It also comes into play much earlier than all the other hover units.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Chapter Six: Pies or Cider

[Freeland Public News Service, August 10, 2632]
Freeland has finally accepted the Augmented with open arms. A concentrated effort to develop treatments and improvements for their implants is under way. It may take some time to bear fruit, but the government remains confident that the effort is worth it.

Additionally, the colonial administration has begun offering tax incentives to entrepreneurs who are willing to seek out distant and unusual markets. Combined with the steady production of trade convoys, this has resulted in an explosion of commerce and industry.

Since we have five Virtues in the same category, we now get an additional benefit.

We officially have hella cash.

In the east, tectonic activity has unearthed the fossil of some immense creature. A second expeditionary team has encountered a similar skeleton in the north, outside of non-human ruins many have taken to calling a “Progenitor” city. We are now receiving reports of their results. Uh, please stand by...

...I'm being told little of interest was discovered, aside from the innate scientific value of cataloging a unique alien animal. Let's hope these things aren't still out there, haha!

Anyway, let's move on to the main purpose of this announcement. Two government initiatives are now hiring, with generous pay and benefits. The first is a genetic research and agriculture project, designed to fully utilize the output of the recently-invasive apple trees to maximize their potential either as a source of food, or as a trade good.

(Basically, do we make apples into better pies, or better hard cider?)

The second is to fill the new factories opening now that convoy production has slowed. There are many projects the colony can now start, and every worker will have a say in which is begun! Contact your local Shift Manager if you are interested.

Let's live well. Thank you, and good night.

Freeland's build queue is open once again. The choices are:

--Colonist
--Worker
--Explorer
--Soldier
--Cytonursery (+1 Health, +1 Science)
--Laboratory (+2 Science)
--Pharmalab (+2 Health)
--Recycler (+2 Production, +1 Production from Trade Routes)
--Ultrasonic Fence (prevents aliens from getting within two tiles of a city.)
--Vivarium (+2 Food, +1 Food from Desert tiles)

Hello? How can I help you?

I... How did you... Okay. Thank you, madam!

Alvida, Hutama.

Weirdo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Energy crop, and build a recycler.

Condolences on the Manticore. They're a nuisance alien, but useless in player hands.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Food crop, Colonist.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Condolences on the Manticore. They're a nuisance alien, but useless in player hands.

If only they had 2 movement instead of 1...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Food crop, because 4X early game.
Recycler, because production from trade routes sounds great. Would be nice to grab another colonist after that.

I guess we have a free exploration unit?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

my dad posted:

Food crop, because 4X early game.
Recycler, because production from trade routes sounds great. Would be nice to grab another colonist after that.

I guess we have a free exploration unit?

Echo this. Long-term, the energy won't matter; short term, the food WILL.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So have the redone wonders upset your plans for the future, Mr. Hutama?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Mmm, pie. food

As for the building, go with Cytonursery, science is important. Better recipes are learned through science.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Speedball posted:

So have the redone wonders upset your plans for the future, Mr. Hutama?

I can't say they have, since I hadn't decided on any previously. The nerf to trade routes has put a cramp in my style though. At least our extra ones are not tied to population, so we still have three where any other city would have one. Here's to Freeland!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Energy, because the answer when asked if we want to make more booze should always be "yes", and colonists, so that we can stake our claim to attractive bits of land before our neighbors do.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

Most of the aliens are pretty useless in player hands; they can't get XP, can't get upgrades and can't even fortify until healed, requiring you to use the 'sleep' command and just fuckin remember to check on them. Worse still just standing in miasma doesn't seem to heal player owned alien units, I have no idea what is going on there.

The only alien type I like to get are the flyers; getting one of those early is super useful for scouting and snapping up supply pods. If i get any other kinds of aliens I usually try and get them killed asap.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Food Crop, and build a Recycler first, followed by Colonists.

Can you spend energy to make things build faster? If so, I think we should rush the Recycler.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Neruz posted:

Most of the aliens are pretty useless in player hands; they can't get XP, can't get upgrades and can't even fortify until healed, requiring you to use the 'sleep' command and just fuckin remember to check on them. Worse still just standing in miasma doesn't seem to heal player owned alien units, I have no idea what is going on there.

The only alien type I like to get are the flyers; getting one of those early is super useful for scouting and snapping up supply pods. If i get any other kinds of aliens I usually try and get them killed asap.

...or you can delete them for free energy?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent Interrobang posted:

...or you can delete them for free energy?

I forgot you could do that :negative:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Captain Bravo posted:

Food Crop, and build a Recycler first, followed by Colonists.

Can you spend energy to make things build faster? If so, I think we should rush the Recycler.

You can't hasten production with energy, but you can outright buy units and facilities. In fact, that's going to be the lynchpin of my strategy in this game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Polynesia's thing is basically have giant amounts of money and buying everything they need. They go from no army to the biggest army in the game in 3 turns :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

You can't hasten production with energy, but you can outright buy units and facilities. In fact, that's going to be the lynchpin of my strategy in this game.

How much does a Colonist cost?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

How much does a Colonist cost?

Surprisingly little, I think it's like 640? For 'buying a new city outright' it's not bad.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Energy Crop and add a Vivarium . That should cover the issues.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Energy Crop to play to our strengths and Recycler for more production.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Got caught up. Energy Crop and Colonist. Fat stacks of cash and more outposts!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Alright. Looks I will be building/buying a Recycler and a Colonist first and foremost, but Energy and Food Crop votes are tied. Does anyone else want to vote on this issue?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Alright. Looks I will be building/buying a Recycler and a Colonist first and foremost, but Energy and Food Crop votes are tied. Does anyone else want to vote on this issue?

Energy crop.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Seconding energy crop.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Mad stacks of energy

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Better cider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Chapter 7: Loads o' Money

Alright. I am quite done with this. An entire convoy eaten by that damned thing? Enough is enough. I need options on how to deal with it, pronto.

Our expeditions at various Progenitor ruins are producing incredible scientific insight.

Yes, but how much of it can be used now?

Admittedly little, but the resources retrieved from the northern alien skeleton have allowed us to sustain and even improve augmentation. Many original colonists are now opting to undergo surgery. Aside from the obvious benefits in survival and longevity, provided complications aren't too severe, I believe this is also to show solidarity with the struggles of the Augmented. The enhanced population is now large enough for us to rely on them in military recruitment.

Should we focus on finding people with enhanced reflexes and sight, or enhanced regeneration and organ redundancy? We can also introduce voluntary programs to encourage these things, but limited government resources and the risk of organ rejection mean we can only choose one.

That level of Supremacy has given us our first unit upgrade, each of which improves the abilities of our units and lets us choose one of two perks.

Good, good. I need to speak to some people first, but I'll get a decision on that back to you before the end of the day. Anything else?

We could also build ultrasonic fences. It wouldn't protect us very far, but it would keep even the great worm away from our cities.

That's a good idea too. Hm. Before I adjourn this little meeting, what else is going on in our little slice of paradise?

The settlement of Rangi is—

Neo New Zealand.

Pardon?

The city is going to be called Neo New Zealand. Trust me on this. The name is polling wonderfully.

If you say so. Okay, the settlement of Neo New Zealand is well underway. If we are able to fund its initial growth as well as Jimboomba's, it will be a very prosperous colony, especially once the road there is complete.

Using our mad money, I purchased both an Old Earth Relic and a Clinic in Jimboomba. It's no longer possible to purchase Trade Depots or trade units with cash, otherwise I would have done that too. Speaking of, I also purchased a Recycler in Freeland before building the Colonist.

Trade routes to our own cities give Food and Production. Initially, only the starting city gets a bonus, but eventually both will. Even so, this is probably the most powerful use of trade.

We have also discovered what can best be described as an alien nest, which was even hatching sea creatures. Unfortunately, we lost contact with the, ah... manticore and its handlers shortly after the find. I'm told the people on the xenobiology team feel that if we can mount an armed expedition to the site, we could learn a great deal about life on this planet, possibly enough to give us a decisive edge in eliminating the threat of the worm.

That sounds like a good plan. That reminds me, how is the crop engineering program going?

Very well. Thanks to the construction of a cytonursery, the project should quickly bear fruit with only a little more research into the local environment.

'Bear fruit.' Good one, buddy.

Thank you.

The vote is now on: do we recruit soldiers with better attack capability, or better healing capability? Also, we have enough culture for a new Virtue. The only new one is below, which would be rather useless since we can't even build manufactories yet.

The other choices are: Adaptive Tactics (+50% military unit XP gain), Frugality (+10% Food retained after city growth), Foresight (+10% Science when Healthy), Commoditization (+1 Energy on every basic resource), Interdependence Network (+25% yield from internal trade routes), and Scalable Infrastructure (+15% Wonder production)

• Locked thread