Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Since you're getting the internal trade networks set up, I'm gonna go with Interdependence Network. Also, give our Marines better attack.

EDIT: Update at bottom of last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Interdependence Network to take advantage of our budding cities, and better attack because +5 to healing compared to +15% offense isn't even really a question. Dead enemies don't shoot back.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm... From what little I've seen of the game, it's a lot easier to find attack boosts than healing boosts, so heal better is the better option.

Interdependance network looks amazing with our setup.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'd go with Attack Power and Commoditisation.Realistically your melee units are going to see less combat than your indirects (I pretty much only use melee units to capture cities and whack ranged units), and I love having loadsamoney in Civ games, being able to poo poo out a massive army on a dime and buy every building in a new city on turn one.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

my dad posted:

Hm... From what little I've seen of the game, it's a lot easier to find attack boosts than healing boosts, so heal better is the better option.

The problem is largely that +5 to a given round of healing is very little compared to a +15% attack multiplier on infantry, forever. As we progress up the affinity tree and their base attack power increases, that bonus gets better and better and better, but 5 HP is always 5 HP and little else. The comparative equivalent of a veterancy-and-a-half FOREVER on ALL infantry is amazing.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Interdependence Network and Better Attack.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Interdependency Network, because our new booze production allows us to make spectacular mixed drinks by combining the different liquors from each of our bases.

Better Attack, because we can easily induce that with periods of enforced sobriety.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Nth'd.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Agreed.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Interdependence Network and better attack

I guess Interdependence Networks kind of goes along with the theme of this being a trading civilization?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
If we're focusing on intracolony trade, then Interdependence Network and Attack to boost our own and protect our own.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent Interrobang posted:

The problem is largely that +5 to a given round of healing is very little compared to a +15% attack multiplier on infantry, forever. As we progress up the affinity tree and their base attack power increases, that bonus gets better and better and better, but 5 HP is always 5 HP and little else. The comparative equivalent of a veterancy-and-a-half FOREVER on ALL infantry is amazing.

It's not actually the same as veterency because veterency applies on defense as well but yes.

That said taking Brasilia and stacking +healing bonuses lets you end up with dudes who heal like 50 hp a turn which is pretty neat :v:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

Neruz posted:

It's not actually the same as veterency because veterency applies on defense as well but yes.

That said taking Brasilia and stacking +healing bonuses lets you end up with dudes who heal like 50 hp a turn which is pretty neat :v:

Yeah, with Brasilia the +10% to attack and defense on all melee units means taking health-ups actually DOES have legs.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Chapter 8: Wake Up! With Hutama

Good morning, Polystralia! Thanks to the heroic efforts of our scientists and engineers in manufacturing computers with local resources, many of you can now stream this show live from your own home.

That's right, the long-awaited premiere of Wake Up! With Hutama has arrived. I'll try to keep the program like a good skirt: long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting.

We live in a remarkable era, don't we? We have done more than simply settle a new world. We're making it better! The list of our accomplishments is long and getting longer. New technologies, new settlements, new buildings, new trade routes. Can you blame me for being optimistic?

As you can see, Interdependence Network is already paying off in a big way.

With the Alien Preserve built, the Food Crop quest was also completed. It's flavored in-game as "better photosynthesis", but we all know what's really going on. :guinness:

We don't actually have access to the unit that Level 2 affinity upgrades yet, but we'll get the upgrade retroactively once we do.

I know there are some who don't share my optimism. After all, the Great Worm is still ravaging the northern countryside and preventing trade and travel with the Protectorate.

I want you to know that I understand completely. But the entire government is focusing all its effort on combating this threat. With the aid of long-distance missile emplacements, we've set up a secure route to reopen safe trade with the good monks of Omoikane.

The missiles do piddling damage to the Siege Worm, but they're slowly making a dent in it.

We're also working on fences that emit sound waves at exactly the right frequencies to keep aliens out. Once those are up and running, we won't have to live in fear of the native life any more.

Of course, we're all starting to feel the strain of our expansion, too. Comforts are getting scarcer, food is getting less abundant. If it were up to me, I would make sure each and every one of you fine citizens had a full pantry and a cold six-pack to come home to. But we're not quite there yet.

The penalties aren't too severe now, but they'll get worse and start hitting other stats eventually as well.

That is precisely why I have funded, from my own salary, the construction of health clinics and cytonurseries in all of our major settlements. It hasn't solved the issue completely, but it's put a serious dent in it.

That's it for news. My musical guest today is the inestimable Pauline Wulandari, whose genetically enhanced vocal chords will make you weep.

After that, be sure to join me next week, when we'll be conducting an exclusive phone interview with the brilliant Doctor Daoming Sochua about the challenges of translating robotics to our new home. I'll also be personally taking questions from private citizens throughout the colony. Don't miss it!

It's time for a new virtue, citizens of the Commonwealth! We have a new one to consider:

The other options are: Adaptive Tactics (+50% military unit XP gain), Frugality (+10% Food retained after city growth), Foresight (+10% Science when Healthy), Commoditization (+1 Energy on every basic resource), Scalable Infrastructure (+15% Wonder production), and Social Investment (+2 Production from Manufactories)

Also, if you have any questions for the big man, shoot.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 21, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Administrative note: +5 healing is nothing big late-game but early game this is HUGE. It cuts the downtime for your damaged exploring units significantly. If you're in a skirmish, your recovery time gets cut quite a lot, and that doubles for healing in friendly zones.

Adaptive Tactics. We need to blow these lovely aliens away, and learn to get good faster!

I find it interesting, lore-wise, that the Preserve is a culture building. The people starting their lives on this planet are getting culture for the people who LIVE here, not old culture from old Earth. They're telling animal stories to their kids about the animals that live here.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 21, 2015

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Commoditization

Dear Mr. Hutama, why does the alien tubers make my pee smell funny?

-Bobby Sands of Jimboomba, Age 6

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The big thing about the +healing bonuses is that once Alien aggression reaches a certain point they love to just attack you repeatedly. A really good way to farm the first few levels of veterency is to just park some dudes within 2 squares of an Alien Nest and leave them there fortified for awhile while the Aliens throw themselves at them.

In a game against other people I'd take the attack bonus every single time, but against the AI the extra healing can actually be a life saver.

Also; Hutama's quote for Computing is seriously one of the best quotes in the entire game.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 21, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'quote' is not 'edit'

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Liquidity! if we're going to buy everything, might as well start driving down the price now to ensure we get the best bargains! :10bux:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Neruz posted:

Also; Hutama's quote for Computing is seriously one of the best quotes in the entire game.

I wish to hell the voice actor for Hutama actually spoke it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

I wish to hell the voice actor for Hutama actually spoke it.

Yeah, honestly Beyond Earth would be like five times better if the VA's for each leader spoke their quotes upon researching a given tech.

But seriously Hutama is great, I think the best part about him is he is actually kind of plausible as a leader of a hybrid Australia + Philippines nation; he's caricatured pretty badly but the caricature is quite heavily based on real life Australian and Philippine leaders, just taken to extremes.

Speaking as an Australian I would totally vote for him.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Neruz posted:

Yeah, honestly Beyond Earth would be like five times better if the VA's for each leader spoke their quotes upon researching a given tech.

But seriously Hutama is great, I think the best part about him is he is actually kind of plausible as a leader of a hybrid Australia + Philippines nation; he's caricatured pretty badly but the caricature is quite heavily based on real life Australian and Philippine leaders, just taken to extremes.

Speaking as an Australian I would totally vote for him.

I think he's supposed to be Indonesian as well, since his backstory refers to him going to a university in a city in Java or Sumatra, I forget.

Voting for Commoditization since we have a poo poo-ton of basic resources in our cities' borders now and we should be making more bank, as is Polystralia's strength.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GhostStalker posted:

I think he's supposed to be Indonesian as well, since his backstory refers to him going to a university in a city in Java or Sumatra, I forget.

Yeah he is, Polystralia is basically an amalgamated nation of Australia + Philippines + Indonesia + a few other pacific islands.

Basically it's Australia + Pacific Islands.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Neruz posted:

Yeah he is, but Polystralia is basically an amalgamated nation of Australia + Philippines + a few other pacific islands.

Of which Indonesia is likely a part of, is what I'm getting at. Just wanted to make sure they were explicitly named in your list.

Or am I misunderstanding your point here and you're agreeing with me? I shouldn't post when I'm very tired...

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GhostStalker posted:

Of which Indonesia is likely a part of, is what I'm getting at. Just wanted to make sure they were explicitly named in your list.

Or am I misunderstanding your point here and you're agreeing with me? I shouldn't post when I'm very tired...

I'm agreeing with you, I'm just bad at words and you quoted me before I fixed the mistake.

e: Actually hah; I guess that Polystralia is in fact Australia + Polynesia which makes sense given the name :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Neruz posted:

I'm agreeing with you, I'm just bad at words and you quoted me before I fixed the mistake.

e: Actually hah; I guess that Polystralia is in fact Australia + Polynesia which makes sense given the name :v:

lol, fair enough. Sorry for dragging that out longer than it need to. Shouldn't post when I'm tired...

Also, I never played Polystralia or saw all that much of it in my one game of Beyond Earth that I played since it was on another continent that I didn't have much to do with, but I wanna know what sort of city names pop up on its default list and what cultures inspire them. Noticed some Australian, Polynesian, and Indonesian inspired names in the cities I saw, so I guess that answers that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

lol, fair enough. Sorry for dragging that out longer than it need to. Shouldn't post when I'm tired...

Also, I never played Polystralia or saw all that much of it in my one game of Beyond Earth that I played since it was on another continent that I didn't have much to do with, but I wanna know what sort of city names pop up on its default list and what cultures inspire them. Noticed some Australian, Polynesian, and Indonesian inspired names in the cities I saw, so I guess that answers that.

Polystralia city names:

Freeland (Capital City)
Jimboomba
Rangi
Pembela
Richport
Maeva
Harta
Kesempatan
Kala
New Hope
Rahi
Tenang
Mareeba
Holyfield
Mahalaga
Waspada
Kayamutan
Ballarat
Speewah

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I love how Ballarat is just thrown in there.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Commoditization. The bank we are presently making is of insufficient madness.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The country's full name is the Commonwealth of the Pacific. The Polynesians are just a chill people who'd much rather be referred to as something that sounds like a name over a lame abbreviation.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Especially since the acronym would be 'CP' :ohdear:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Neruz posted:

Especially since the acronym would be 'CP' :ohdear:

I think CotP would work better, but yeah, Polystralia sounds a lot cooler.

Cythereal posted:

Polystralia city names:

Yup, definitely some Aussie, Indonesian, Maori, Polynesian, and I think Filipino names there.

Looking at the PAC city names that I got, apparently there are some Mongolian, Thai, and Korean names thrown in with the Chinese.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

Looking at the PAC city names that I got, apparently there are some Mongolian, Thai, and Korean names thrown in with the Chinese.

For those curious, here's the full list of city names for the other factions.

American Reclamation Corporation:

Central (Capital City)
Axiom
Vanguard
Liberty
Fortune
Amity
Prospect
Grand City
Praxis
Sentinel
Reliance
Endeavour
Ascension
Stalwart
Heritage
Star City
Bradbury
Empire
Venture
Enterprise

African Union:

Magan (Capital City)
Ayaan
Thabo
Jenali
Bongani
Xirsi
Zuberi
Masego
Sizwe
Ladan
Jabulile
Warsame
Thula
Qasri
Chengetai
Fadziso
Mzoxolo
Hoodo
Liibaan
Roonaan

Pan-Asian Cooperative:

Tiangong (Capital City)
Quyen
Nhiet Tinh
Ganzorig
Huanle
Gong Ren
Thanh
Kuijia
Huihuang
Sinjeon
Renxing
Qi Chui
Gaosi
Adislal
Xindalu
Troi
Phao Dai
Tenger Bambai
Hyugeso

Franco-Iberia:

Le Coeur (Capital City)
Prospérité
Aintza
Fidèle
Gran Éxito
Beraht
Amparo
Bouclier
Izar
Honorée
Mirabelle
Senén
Valienta
Filoteu
Kenza
Igoa
Espérance
Kemena
Pacifique

Kavithan Protectorate:

Mandira (Capital City)
Saira
Asraya
Sabda
Javed
Vasanta
Harsha
Pran
Agni
Zafar
Sachita
Shan
Mansi
Dhanya
Rayyan
Thangam
Udyama
Garhi
Nikhitha

Slavic Federation:

Khrabrost (Capital City)
Uspekh
Serik
Stanimir
Konechno
Svyatoy
Kuzma
Istochnik
Yuriya
Aguya
Izot
Rodomir
Blesk
Vola
Pobeda
Heba
Averkiy
Krasota
Mir

Brasilia:

Cidadela (Capital City)
Santo Adrião
Manoel
Dourado
Boa Esperança
Fiel
Borda Dura
Batista Aldeia
Fogo Sagrado
Paraíso
Ascensão
Terra Alegre
Lembrança
Alto Torre
Bênção
Pacífico
Caminho Celeste
Monumento
Hélder
Lugar de Paz

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
I wonder if some of the city names in languages I don't know are as :psyduck: as Konecho (of course!) or Heba and Izot (no idea where they even got those from). Also the Europeans and Russians sure used a lot of personal names for their colonies for some reason.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What resources have we got to develop right now?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

What resources have we got to develop right now?

From the last screenshot, looks like 1 fiber, 1 resilin, 1 basalt, 1 geothermal, and 2 floatstone.

Also, Liquidity. Not very useful, but the next two are.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Lokapala posted:

I wonder if some of the city names in languages I don't know are as :psyduck: as Konecho (of course!) or Heba and Izot (no idea where they even got those from). Also the Europeans and Russians sure used a lot of personal names for their colonies for some reason.

Some of Brasilia's names sound weird (Borda Dura, Batista Aldeia, Alto Torre) or are first names (Manoel, Hélder), but not weird enough that i couldn't get used to them (also assuming naming conventions changed 200 years in the future).

Doesn't seem to be any spanish names in there though, and Brasilia is supposed to be South America.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was just reading about virtues on the wiki

quote:

Once you have purchased 5 Virtues in the first tier of a tree, if you haven't unlocked the first tier 1 synergy bonus, it is advantageous to buy the first virtue of one of the other three trees, then use the free virtue to resume down your original tree.

Is that true?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

tadashi posted:

I was just reading about virtues on the wiki

Is that true?
Sure, but it's not like you'll be hopelessly gimped if you don't do that.

• Locked thread