Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I've always had a weak spot for France, so I say we follow them into space on a ship full of Artists and Machinery and equipped with a Tectonic Scanner.

Only thing different here from my preferred setup is France rather than China, so this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lynneth posted:

Supporting this.

On another note, is Germany part of any of these superpowers? Or is its status entirely unknown?

Germany, the UK, northern Europe, the Balkans, and the Middle East are all MIA, but Firaxis all but said "We intend to add a German-based sponsor in a future DLC/expansion" last year.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

habeasdorkus posted:

The game has gotten at least one big balance patch and a second is incoming in a month or two?

Yes, and Firaxis is apparently working on a way to link this game with their upcoming sequel game Sid Meier's Spaceships, though what that means is unknown at present.

Also, I'm agreeing with the consensus that this is an above-average game that needs an expansion or two to make it truly great - par for the course for Civilization, really.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SIGSEGV posted:

Just the idea of a Pan-Asian nation-state-like entity so soon that isn't "someone conquered it all" is just weird to me.

Remember that this is after a nuclear war, massive ecological devastation, and collapse of the global economy. Most of the factions are supposed to be European Union style organizations, not big new nations in and of themselves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Industry and Chemistry. There's a lot to love in Industry, and everything you get from Chemistry is something you'll want up and running ASAP.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, Central Planning is more useful at first unless you've got a lot of resources immediately available. All of tier 1 industry is worth grabbing, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Grant them refuge. At least this bunch had the courtesy to join up with an existing settlement.

And yeah, always irritating when an AI lands right on your doorstep. In my experience, nine times out of ten this happens shortly after you plonked down an outpost right next to where they landed or when you had a colonist moving towards their landing zone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nosy_G posted:

I foresee war with the Protectorate in our future.

Not necessarily, Kavitha is a pretty peaceful AI and extremely loyal. If it was the space Americans, Russians, or Brazilians, on the other hand...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gideon020 posted:

I've seen a few Youtube LPs where that has happened. It usually never ends well.

I've seen one come down within five tiles of my capital. I was Rejinaldo. You can probably imagine what happened next.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

They can gently caress you up before you get Ultrasonic Fences, and even then, they can kill a soldier if they throw sufficient bodies at it. It's not so much that they're an existential threat, but that they can really throw off your opening game, i.e. the post important part of Civ.

Siege worms can also be a severe nuisance if you don't have the firepower to deal with them and they decide to go back and forth through all your improvements just outside the ultrasonic fence, and sea dragons make exploring the sea irritating.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Standardized Architecture sounds like a great way to get new colonies up and working.

I agree. Standardized Architecture is very helpful and leads to a great policy for Polystralia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Civil workers. The gameplay benefit is far, far more useful than defense workers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Profiteering. Always useful, but Hutama especially gets a kicker out of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Continue research.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Section Z posted:

Dumb question. Is your endgame victory goal still tied to your eventual affinity? Or can you for example, pull that Purity endgame goal I've heard about with Augments or Harmony leanings?

Sort of. You need level 13 in the appropriate affinity to pursue that affinity's victory condition, but there's nothing stopping you from going up to level 13 in one affinity and pursuing its victory but being even higher in another affinity, or being 13/13/13 all around or whatever you choose.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ousire posted:

Yeah, you generally want to focus on one of the three after a while simply because that's the easiest way to go about it, but there's absolutely nothing stopping you from dabbling in each affinity tree as much as you want. That said, Neruz is 100% right that you should pick up at least a few levels in each. They're easy enough to get at first and the rewards are well worth the effort

It's also really easy to end up with several levels of Purity by the end simply because a few of the Purity techs reward really good passive bonuses. +1f +1e +1p from every farm tile? Don't mind if I do, especially using the institute to grab +1s for every farm early on, too, and doubly if you can get the ectogenesis pod.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yyyeeaah, I'm going to sit out this argument after the SMAC thread. :v: I usually pick up at least a few levels of everything, depending on what I need and what resources are on hand.

I even once did a no affinities, period, challenge game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Speedball posted:

For statistics, the "get beaten to building a wonder" achievement for Civ V is one of the most common, while it is one of the rarer ones anyone gets in Beyond Earth. The "build all wonders" cheevo even moreso. People just weren't using the wonders. That may change.

It's heavily exacerbated by the nature of the tech web. I like to build wonders because I mostly play on low difficulties, and almost every wonder I see the AI build is one from a tech I wasn't going to research anyway.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Eh, ignore the outbreak.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We'll want both in time, but Alternative Markets first.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

That's the LEV Destroyer, the Purity ultimate unit like Supremacy's ANGEL and Harmony's Xeno Titan. You need the Tactical LEV tech and it's basically a gigantic hovering artillery piece with enough strength to fight capably in melee. I personally feel it's not super great unless you get the Supremacy version so it doesn't have to set up prior to attacking, at which point it becomes amazing but that might just be me.

On a related note, I find it amusing that the basic Purity starship in the spinoff game Sid Meier's Starships looks almost identical to the LEV Destroyer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

The basic Purity unique unit is literally 2 guys in space marine armor with bolters and a third guy also in space marine armor carrying a space marine style flag and a bolt pistol. Subtlety!

Then the third is a space marine dreadnought!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Energy crop, and build a recycler.

Condolences on the Manticore. They're a nuisance alien, but useless in player hands.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Guy Fawkes posted:

Interdependence Network and Better Attack.

Agreed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

lol, fair enough. Sorry for dragging that out longer than it need to. Shouldn't post when I'm tired...

Also, I never played Polystralia or saw all that much of it in my one game of Beyond Earth that I played since it was on another continent that I didn't have much to do with, but I wanna know what sort of city names pop up on its default list and what cultures inspire them. Noticed some Australian, Polynesian, and Indonesian inspired names in the cities I saw, so I guess that answers that.

Polystralia city names:

Freeland (Capital City)
Jimboomba
Rangi
Pembela
Richport
Maeva
Harta
Kesempatan
Kala
New Hope
Rahi
Tenang
Mareeba
Holyfield
Mahalaga
Waspada
Kayamutan
Ballarat
Speewah

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

Looking at the PAC city names that I got, apparently there are some Mongolian, Thai, and Korean names thrown in with the Chinese.

For those curious, here's the full list of city names for the other factions.

American Reclamation Corporation:

Central (Capital City)
Axiom
Vanguard
Liberty
Fortune
Amity
Prospect
Grand City
Praxis
Sentinel
Reliance
Endeavour
Ascension
Stalwart
Heritage
Star City
Bradbury
Empire
Venture
Enterprise

African Union:

Magan (Capital City)
Ayaan
Thabo
Jenali
Bongani
Xirsi
Zuberi
Masego
Sizwe
Ladan
Jabulile
Warsame
Thula
Qasri
Chengetai
Fadziso
Mzoxolo
Hoodo
Liibaan
Roonaan

Pan-Asian Cooperative:

Tiangong (Capital City)
Quyen
Nhiet Tinh
Ganzorig
Huanle
Gong Ren
Thanh
Kuijia
Huihuang
Sinjeon
Renxing
Qi Chui
Gaosi
Adislal
Xindalu
Troi
Phao Dai
Tenger Bambai
Hyugeso

Franco-Iberia:

Le Coeur (Capital City)
Prospérité
Aintza
Fidèle
Gran Éxito
Beraht
Amparo
Bouclier
Izar
Honorée
Mirabelle
Senén
Valienta
Filoteu
Kenza
Igoa
Espérance
Kemena
Pacifique

Kavithan Protectorate:

Mandira (Capital City)
Saira
Asraya
Sabda
Javed
Vasanta
Harsha
Pran
Agni
Zafar
Sachita
Shan
Mansi
Dhanya
Rayyan
Thangam
Udyama
Garhi
Nikhitha

Slavic Federation:

Khrabrost (Capital City)
Uspekh
Serik
Stanimir
Konechno
Svyatoy
Kuzma
Istochnik
Yuriya
Aguya
Izot
Rodomir
Blesk
Vola
Pobeda
Heba
Averkiy
Krasota
Mir

Brasilia:

Cidadela (Capital City)
Santo Adrião
Manoel
Dourado
Boa Esperança
Fiel
Borda Dura
Batista Aldeia
Fogo Sagrado
Paraíso
Ascensão
Terra Alegre
Lembrança
Alto Torre
Bênção
Pacífico
Caminho Celeste
Monumento
Hélder
Lugar de Paz

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

What resources have we got to develop right now?

From the last screenshot, looks like 1 fiber, 1 resilin, 1 basalt, 1 geothermal, and 2 floatstone.

Also, Liquidity. Not very useful, but the next two are.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

It is exactly four tiles away, because this game hates us.

Still, if your territory expands out to it you can plant a well on it and get that juicy xenomass resource.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

How far away tech tree wise is the tech for Xenomass Wells, anyway? And I forget if you need an appropriate Affinity to build one.

I think we have the prerequisites and you do not. You don't need affinity points to build firaxite mines, floatstone quarries, or xenomass wells, and especially since the last patch there are some nice wonders that use xenomass.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Haha, well, yes, but that satellite crashing 4 tiles outside the capital, specifically. It's happened 4/4 games where I've gotten that quest since I started noticing it.

I've gotten it inside city radii a few times, but those have always been accompanied by a new faction landing right on the doorstep of a newly founded outpost or city, stations popping up right where I'd planned to send a new colonist, or the like.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AJ_Impy posted:

Everyone needs to experience 'Why is that aquatic chain of mountains moving?' at least once.

Kraken are target practice once you realize they can't move into shallow water. Pick up scavenging and kraken are nothing but big balloons full of beakers waiting for a needle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

And really, if you've decided to exterminate the aliens, there's no reason not to roll in on them with heavily upgraded units and the virtue that gives you Science based off of the strength of alien units you kill. Is that one Scavenging?

Yep. I like to leave alien nests intact near my borders if I've picked up scavenging so I can farm them for science.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Continue the research. What could possibly go wrong?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Really? They try to all the time in my games. It's gotten to the point where I often have to station a complete perimeter of my own units around them as soon as I can so the AI can't destroy them.

Seconded. I've also seen the AI lose half a dozen units trying to kill a station.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

Could it be anything but Purity?

With minors in Supremacy and Harmony because the Imperium of Man is nothing if not prone to cognitive dissonance and hypocrisy when it comes to stuff that's useful to it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Purity's units are genetically enhanced supersoldiers, mega-hovertanks, battlemechs, and floating battleships.

Supremacy's units are terminators (Skynet style), walking artillery platforms, giant robots, and Reapers from Mass Effect 3.

Harmony's units are the ending from Avatar, power-armored soldiers with lances riding giant bugs, a homegrown floating tentacle monster, and kaijus.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Section Z posted:

Can it strangle other satellites to death?

Can... Can there be an orbital rocktopus battle if there are two Harmony factions? :pray:

Sadly, no. IIRC, rocktopi are strictly orbital bombardment units.

But I could be mistaken. Don't have the game installed at the moment and even when I go harmony I never bother with researching designer lifeforms.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Liquidity, which will bring us one step closer to Civic Duty and Magnasanti.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

The ideal way to get health back up, especially considering how much bank we're making, would actually be to research the tech that grants Biowells. I forget what it's called but Biowells are perfect for shoring health up in the midgame before you start stacking various +health bonuses.

Bionics, which I think we have access to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Academies are so rarely useful that I absolutely cannot imagine building one INSTEAD OF a Biowell unless I'm already at like 30+ Health empire-wide, given the multiplicative effect on Science output high Health has. Health is always going to be your highest maintenance priority for maximizing outputs. It's the same reason Manufactories are a fool's gold investment due to the health penalties.

Health is trivial to get heaps of without biowells once you get certain techs/policies, though. Academies are a good investment later in the game.

• Locked thread