Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Some very nice green goo and floaty rock deposits to your north-east for a city (the geothermal + worm goo to your south-west would also be good if not for all the fissures rendering over half the tiles unusable) so there's some solid opportunities for going Harmony or Purity (you always want at least Supremacy 3 regardless because FREE ROADS!). No glowy crystals in sight though which is a pity so probably not a great idea to shoot for more than Supremacy 3.

Also wow, I've never seen an AI capitol come down so close to the player's capitol before; I didn't think the spawn algorithm allowed the AI to come down that close, probably going to have to prep for an early war which is always fun.

Cythereal posted:

Not necessarily, Kavitha is a pretty peaceful AI and extremely loyal. If it was the space Americans, Russians, or Brazilians, on the other hand...

The problem I've found with Kavitha is the insane rate at which they gain territory plus their tendency to expand a lot results in them claiming giant wads of land, usually parts that I wanted :v:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Honestly I don't know how anyone could ever lose even to frenzied aliens; not only do Ultrasonic Fences make it impossible for aliens to attack your city but they almost never attack cities anyway so the only way to actually suffer casualties is to walk into their territory without sufficient military support.

That said, if you come down nearby a couple of big nests (it seems like larger xenomass deposits spawn more aliens faster) you can be in for one hell of a grind.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 3, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

In my test runs, I discovered two glowy crystal deposits, with eight units each, to our southeast, hopefully well out of Kavitha's grasp. So if you guys want to eventually go full :awesomelon:, it definitely won't be a problem.

That being said, I'm not too concerned with available resources when it comes to Affinity choice. This is more about creating a believable society than an optimal Civilization.

Oh well yeah if you have sixteen units of glowy crystals then you're well positioned to take any Affinity combination you want.

That's interesting actually; usually I find I'm short of float rocks or glow crystals, usually there's always plenty of green goo though not always. I've almost never had a start with all three Affinity resources located nearby in quantity without bumping the resources up to Abundant.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

They can gently caress you up before you get Ultrasonic Fences, and even then, they can kill a soldier if they throw sufficient bodies at it. It's not so much that they're an existential threat, but that they can really throw off your opening game, i.e. the post important part of Civ.

But the aliens are like entirely non-aggressive so long as you're not within ~2 - 3 spaces of their nests for the first few dozen turns at least, I can understand how blindly walking into an alien nest would get yourself killed but I have yet to ever actually feel threatened by the aliens and the only time I've ever lost troops to them was when I either didn't scout what I was walking into or underestimated the quantity of enemies.

I guess I can understand how the aliens might throw your poo poo off but I feel like anything short of a Siege Worm deciding it wants to hang out is easily dealt with.

Cythereal posted:

Siege worms can also be a severe nuisance if you don't have the firepower to deal with them and they decide to go back and forth through all your improvements just outside the ultrasonic fence, and sea dragons make exploring the sea irritating.

Yeah Sea Dragons are annoying, though easily dealt with, Krakens are way worse though because none of the ships you can make are melee units so if they get into melee with your botes you are screwed. Fortunately they're also almost blind and so if they're caught without Sea Dragon protection they can be bombarded to death with relative ease.

The Siege Worms thing can actually be dealt with by picking the +1 range upgrade to Ultrasonic Fences, though that unfortunately leaves your Trade Caravans open to the Aliens raiding them. Personally I prefer to make my Trade Caravans immune but as mentioned I rarely have issues with aliens attacking my cities so :shrug:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 4, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The irony is that while Standardized Architecture is a great virtue it is totally useless to us right now, that said the thing it leads to is completely worth getting asap so yeah.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Profiteering is the stand-out winner because it is amazing.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well at the moment the thread seems to be favoring Supremacy but that may change, Supremacy is my personal favorite but I do also rather like Harmony because Rocktopus :v:

That said you typically want at least 3 Supremacy in any game regardless of your primary affinity because free roads are just that good.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CommissarMega posted:

Hence why Purity is the best choice, not even joking.

Also because I'm not a filthy race traitor who's willing to give up everything that made us successful :colbert:

Take a look at human history, what has made us successful are tools, then we started combining our tools together into machines. Supremacy is the logical next step by combining those machines with ourselves. :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

Supremacy's playstyle also favors having huge numbers of troops, while Harmony favors smaller numbers of super-troops. Purity's kind of the middle ground.

Supremacy is all about getting bonuses for having adjacent friendly units so Supremacy armies are these huge rigid formations that roll across the map, Harmony emphasizes small groups of highly mobile units that get bonuses when there are no friendly units around and so Harmony armies tend to be small groups of mobile skirmishers that are constantly flanking and raiding behind enemy lines.

Purity is all about having the biggest possible guns; Purity units have no subtlety, they just have lots and lots of combat power and slam face first into people until someone dies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

Or have enormous defensive bonuses, but playing defensively will usually not win you the game.

Yeah, Supremacy is actually slightly better on the defensive too since if you're going Supremacy you probably have Nodes around the place for bonus healing.

But if you want the biggest numbers possible, Purity has you covered.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Our ancestors did indeed wield many pears.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I like to build wonders because of that one Virtue that gives +7 culture from every wonder you have. When you've been spamming every wonder you can because you're the PAC once you pick up that Virtue it usually triples or more your culture per turn :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

Because "Terr" doesn't have to end in "rist!"

(Good GOD terrascapes are expensive...)

They are, but they are also totally worth it, in fact if you get the virtue that increases their output then it's a good idea to just spam as many of them as you can afford.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

AmishSpecialForces posted:

Where the hell is the tech that lets you build them? I'm playing a purity game right now and can't for the life of me find it. I don't know the name of the unit so I can't Civ-o-pedia it either. I just want to grind everyone into dust, damnit.

That's the LEV Destroyer, the Purity ultimate unit like Supremacy's ANGEL and Harmony's Xeno Titan. You need the Tactical LEV tech and it's basically a gigantic hovering artillery piece with enough strength to fight capably in melee. I personally feel it's not super great unless you get the Supremacy version so it doesn't have to set up prior to attacking, at which point it becomes amazing but that might just be me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

On a related note, I find it amusing that the basic Purity starship in the spinoff game Sid Meier's Starships looks almost identical to the LEV Destroyer.

Purity is basically 40k SPESS MUHREENS so it's not surprising; space marine starships are basically giant spacefaring cathedrals with guns taped to every surface not covered in flags or symbolism, which is basically exactly what the LEV Destroyer is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Stephen9001 posted:

Yeah, I mean have you seen their civlopedia entry? It mentions how at the heart of every LEV Destroyer there is an Old Earth relic of some kind, and that "should we be concerned with the growing religiosity of their crews? Certainly not!" followed by something like (this is from memory, I can't be bothered to open up beyond earth just to look at pedia entrys)"those paladins who fight with the greatest tools should understand and respect the burden they carry".

The basic Purity unique unit is literally 2 guys in space marine armor with bolters and a third guy also in space marine armor carrying a space marine style flag and a bolt pistol. Subtlety!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The LEV Tank is basically just an M1 Abrams that floats. Though unlike the T4 tanks it has a ranged attack so it actually functions like a real tank rather than a fast moving swordsman. It also comes into play much earlier than all the other hover units.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cythereal posted:

Energy crop, and build a recycler.

Condolences on the Manticore. They're a nuisance alien, but useless in player hands.

Most of the aliens are pretty useless in player hands; they can't get XP, can't get upgrades and can't even fortify until healed, requiring you to use the 'sleep' command and just fuckin remember to check on them. Worse still just standing in miasma doesn't seem to heal player owned alien units, I have no idea what is going on there.

The only alien type I like to get are the flyers; getting one of those early is super useful for scouting and snapping up supply pods. If i get any other kinds of aliens I usually try and get them killed asap.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent Interrobang posted:

...or you can delete them for free energy?

I forgot you could do that :negative:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Polynesia's thing is basically have giant amounts of money and buying everything they need. They go from no army to the biggest army in the game in 3 turns :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent Interrobang posted:

The problem is largely that +5 to a given round of healing is very little compared to a +15% attack multiplier on infantry, forever. As we progress up the affinity tree and their base attack power increases, that bonus gets better and better and better, but 5 HP is always 5 HP and little else. The comparative equivalent of a veterancy-and-a-half FOREVER on ALL infantry is amazing.

It's not actually the same as veterency because veterency applies on defense as well but yes.

That said taking Brasilia and stacking +healing bonuses lets you end up with dudes who heal like 50 hp a turn which is pretty neat :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The big thing about the +healing bonuses is that once Alien aggression reaches a certain point they love to just attack you repeatedly. A really good way to farm the first few levels of veterency is to just park some dudes within 2 squares of an Alien Nest and leave them there fortified for awhile while the Aliens throw themselves at them.

In a game against other people I'd take the attack bonus every single time, but against the AI the extra healing can actually be a life saver.

Also; Hutama's quote for Computing is seriously one of the best quotes in the entire game.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 21, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'quote' is not 'edit'

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

I wish to hell the voice actor for Hutama actually spoke it.

Yeah, honestly Beyond Earth would be like five times better if the VA's for each leader spoke their quotes upon researching a given tech.

But seriously Hutama is great, I think the best part about him is he is actually kind of plausible as a leader of a hybrid Australia + Philippines nation; he's caricatured pretty badly but the caricature is quite heavily based on real life Australian and Philippine leaders, just taken to extremes.

Speaking as an Australian I would totally vote for him.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GhostStalker posted:

I think he's supposed to be Indonesian as well, since his backstory refers to him going to a university in a city in Java or Sumatra, I forget.

Yeah he is, Polystralia is basically an amalgamated nation of Australia + Philippines + Indonesia + a few other pacific islands.

Basically it's Australia + Pacific Islands.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GhostStalker posted:

Of which Indonesia is likely a part of, is what I'm getting at. Just wanted to make sure they were explicitly named in your list.

Or am I misunderstanding your point here and you're agreeing with me? I shouldn't post when I'm very tired...

I'm agreeing with you, I'm just bad at words and you quoted me before I fixed the mistake.

e: Actually hah; I guess that Polystralia is in fact Australia + Polynesia which makes sense given the name :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I love how Ballarat is just thrown in there.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Especially since the acronym would be 'CP' :ohdear:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yes.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah in an average game you'll have enough culture to get one full virtue tree and most of if not all of a second tree. If you go heavy culture you might even be able to get some of a third.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Haha, with all those worms out and about I do hope you get to reverse the polarity on your Ultrasonic Fences soon :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah the aliens are trivialized very easily and early on with only a few military techs; pretty quickly the main problem with aliens becomes clearing out their nest areas not because the aliens are dangerous but because there's just so goddamn many of them. As nests also spawn aliens at a rate based on how much Xenomass is in the nest if you get a nest cluster of 6 - 9 Xenomass resources then you have the interesting combination of an extremely valuable piece of land that is literally wall to wall aliens.

Sea aliens are something of an exception; human sea units are all artillery style with good ranged attacks and average melee attacks, whereas alien sea units are all melee all the time so if your boats get out of position they can get their poo poo kicked in quite easily. Even so with upgrades eventually your boats can go toe to toe with the alien sea units in melee, it just takes longer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Whoa; I've never seen the AI kill an indie station before. I thought only the Aliens did that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speedball posted:

And even if they don't killl a station sometimes the station will just die if nobody trades with them.

This happens to me all the time and its infuriating as hell. I want to trade with you you stupid station but you came down in the middle of an entire field of miasma :argh:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Kavitha usually goes Harmony or Purity, it's a bit too early to tell though since the AI tends to spread out a bit at the start before picking an affinity.

The new Gene Vault is really synergistic with Kavitha since they like to spam cities everywhere and own giant tracts of land so the AI will tend to beeline for it even if it intends to go Harmony or rarely Supremacy.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's also worth noting that one of the high level Harmony units uses floatstone as well! The Rocktopus is an orbital alien tentacle monster growing on a chunk of floatstone that moves around in the orbital layer and drops rocks on people :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Rocktopus is pretty unique too since it's the only orbital unit that can actually move.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Section Z posted:

Can it strangle other satellites to death?

Can... Can there be an orbital rocktopus battle if there are two Harmony factions? :pray:

Unfortunately no, they can only drop rocks on people below them.

I don't think there's any satellite that can attack other satellites, anti-orbital fire is only from cities and a few specific ground units.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Actually, the Rocktopus is a two-mode unit; it's a 1-movement levitating unit with a ranged attack AND Anti-Orbital Strike, and a special ability letting it launch to the orbital layer for orbital bombardment attacks, descending after 10 turns [earlier with an upgrade option].

So yes, a low-atmo Rocktopus can perform an antiorbital strike to down a high-atmo Rocktopus.

Oh poo poo it has an anti-orbital strike in its land mode? I did not know that hell yes Rocktopus fights are go!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The ideal way to get health back up, especially considering how much bank we're making, would actually be to research the tech that grants Biowells. I forget what it's called but Biowells are perfect for shoring health up in the midgame before you start stacking various +health bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Biowells are definitely a midgame thing; by the lategame you'll be stacking certain +health techs and virtues (and possibly wonders) that you won't need em anymore but there's a solid chunk of the midgame before you can start stacking all those things where Biowells are what keep you in the green.

• Locked thread