Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Space Africa with Artists, Continental Surveyor, and Machinery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My Alpha Centauri sense says to go for early recycler tech, so Chemistry should work.

Go for Industry, but grab a Might virtue or two if we run into serious early opposition.

e: Build an Old Earth Relic, that sounds nice, and try to build a colonist early to settle on the coast. Name the colony Neo New Zealand.

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 27, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Let's go for Central Planning, since it seems more useful than the alternative at the moment. We can grab commodization later.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Grant them refuge, of course! We've got plenty of room for everyone!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Let's research the inner circle branch-techs first, in whichever order makes sense to you.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
While I believe that we should strive to preserve our humanity, forcing our fellow citizens to give up their augments would be barbaric. Continue research.

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 10, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, in that case...

Fellow citizens, there is no alternative here. Believe me, I'm just as interested in the results of continued research of the augments as you are, but this is a matter of ethics. Gambling with the lives of the Augmented is wrong. The truth is simple: Many of them will die sooner, rather than later, as their augments fail one by one, if we don't do anything about the issue. We cannot rebuild them - We don't have the technology. And even if we could, can any of you guarantee than they wouldn't spend the rest of their lives being discriminated against? Sadly, the last few months have sorely disappointed me in that regard. However, we do know how a human body works, and we have advanced medical facilities that allow us to undo the changes the Augmented underwent. We can help them become fully human again. We must help them become fully human again! It's the only right thing to do!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In the long run, we should strive not to disrupt the ecosystem, but right now, our priority is to ensure the survival of the colony. Not only would we benefit from the easier agriculture, seeing Old Earth flora growing freely in the wilds will certainly raise the morale of the people. Surely, a forest or two near Jimboomba won't destroy the planet. Ignore the outbreak.

habeasdorkus posted:

This is why I always go Purity.

I'm going to be such a space racist if we ever meet aliens in real life.

From what I've heard about the affinities, each of them can interpreted in several ways. I see a "good" Purity affinity as an internal focus, based on preservation instead of xenophobia. "We're here to save mankind, and we're sticking to that mission. Our goal is to preserve what we always considered to be humanity - if we can form a closer bond with the planet we're on and improve the quality of human life through electronic augmentation, while still keeping the greater goal in our sight, great! But we mustn't stray from our path - Whatever alternate evolutionary paths may exist, following up on them while humanity as a whole is still under the threat of extinction, and therefore unable to recover from another Great Mistake, is a risk we cannot take."

my dad fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 13, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Food crop, because 4X early game.
Recycler, because production from trade routes sounds great. Would be nice to grab another colonist after that.

I guess we have a free exploration unit?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm... From what little I've seen of the game, it's a lot easier to find attack boosts than healing boosts, so heal better is the better option.

Interdependance network looks amazing with our setup.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What are we, robots? Recover the records, guys.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Might, and declare war on the protectorate. We must obtain the gene-vault avenge the monastery!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pierzak posted:

Holy poo poo we're gaining Supremacy points surprisingly fast :stare:
Did I miss a decision to go Supremacy, or does the game just throw those quests your way randomly?

Goons voted Supremacy every time.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Could it be anything but Purity?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cythereal posted:

Foresight.

Don't be afraid to grab a bit of Purity for the farm bonuses, though. Wouldn't do to entirely lose sight of what it means to be human.

Supporting this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Does the free virtue increase the price of the next virtue? If it doesn't, we might actually gain more total virtues by the end by taking that instead of a culture boost..

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No wonder you didn't spot the difference.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Looks like there's another bonus if we fill them up, judging by the bar above. What I'm more interested in is the big bonus for tier 3. Looks like we could get it if we fill up all the tier 3 virtues for industry and knowledge. What does this bonus provide?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Whatever tier 2 virtues we can get. Memeweb sounds good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Standing on their own, I see all 3 of them as eternal nightmares of different flavors.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neruz posted:

So by the 'end' of Beyond Earth so to speak Humans have basically been replaced by one of three types of post-Humans; Robots, Prometheans or Hybrids. That is presumably what my dad meant with the nightmare comment as all three Affinities progress steadily away from Humanity as we know it.

No. I meant that the post-humanist alternatives we're being presented here are deeply flawed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How can you call a future in which the vast majority of mankind dies off in misery - bright?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Poor comparison. The mankind that is nearly destroyed in Star Trek is the same one that rebuilt itself, in a form that still has the potential to grow. Beyond Earth? A few, chosen to be saviors, go far away, and don't do poo poo until it's too late for almost everyone. Forced into a conflict between 3 different ideas about humanity's future, with only one of the three triumphing - and the rest going extinct, along with the humanity they represent. Hell, the ideas themselves, taken to their extremes, presented as inevitable in the game, are horrifying. A pseudo-fascist glorification of what once was that eliminates deviation from a perceived idea of a homo sapiens+ humanity? A merge into a semi-alien hive mind forced on the planetary population? A robotic society that sees everything that is not a part of it as wasteful and anathema? And even if you find one of them desirable, all of them represent a certain stasis. After all, they are an idea of a perfect utopia, guided by those who see them as a perfect utopia, and perfection, after all, doesn't need to change. It's this, this end of growth, this end of change, that I see as the death of mankind in Beyond Earth.

And even for the happy endings offered, I'll give you one example of how they fail: You can say that the story mentions how mankind on Earth greets the robotic visitors as liberators, and gladly uploads once the warlords are dealt with, but that's not how human beings act. We doubt. We fear the unknown. We want things to go on as they did yesterday, possibly a bit cozier. And the worse our situation is, the more we are like that. What do the benevolent liberators do when faced with a less than warm welcome? The answer is clearly stated by the game: "All previous versions of humanity will no longer be supported as of this update."

e: Also, just for the record, the Star Trek Federation is hosed up in a lot of ways.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 28, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SSNeoman posted:

You're Purity as hell, son :v:

Nah. I see the purity route as static and dead in the end as the other two, not to mention being unpleasantly similar to some aspects of Eco's Ur-fascism. If there is anything in science fiction that looks like the best path for humanity to me, it's the Golden Path from the Dune series. (The "Humanity expands too fast for any single power/idea to establish control over all of it" part, not the crazy worm emperor and anti-psychic breeding program parts)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A race for the finish would be more fun than an extermination campaign. Don't attack Kozlov

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Take up the Robot's burden -
Send forth the best ye breed -
Go bind your sons to exile,
To serve your captives' need;

The savage wars of peace -
Fill full the mouth of Famine
and bid the sickness cease;