Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

One here closed couple years ago. Looked like they recruited employees from island of dr moreau

Weird thing could be no one else in store and no one in line and still take at least an hour to get in and out

Like the place had some kind of

Time sink machine installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

k marts have to be a cover for something. they are constantly going out of business, for months at a time. i swear i've seen one appear in a strip mall with half the shelving already sold.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Brotein_Shake posted:

Yesssssss I couldn't remember the name but it was in the last k-mart thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odz_-BcKxx0

:laffo:

That reminds me of a store we have around here called Ollie's Bargain Outlet. All the signage looks similar and they have the same motto. The one near me opened up next door to a K-Mart.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
two of my friends in middle school got arrested at kmart for shoplifting WWF action figures.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Dehry posted:

That reminds me of a store we have around here called Ollie's Bargain Outlet. All the signage looks similar and they have the same motto. The one near me opened up next door to a K-Mart.

i bought jeans from an ollie's with the brand markered over. they were pretty nice for ten bucks.

also, two copies of the hello kitty mmo (his & hers, duh)

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

two of my friends in middle school got arrested at kmart for shoplifting WWF action figures.

what, like panda bears and poo poo

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Brotein_Shake posted:

It looks like Ollie's Bargain Outlet stole their gimmick, did it better, and outlived Building #19 (by not smelling like piss). Even salvage merchandising is super competitive.

efb

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Brotein_Shake posted:

The Items in this section have PASSED their "best by" date.
The "use by", "best if used by", "best by" or "best before" dates are generally found on shelf stable products. These dates tell you how long the product is likely to remain at its absolute best quality, but it is not a safety date. As long as you've been storing the item properly, you can generally consume it beyond this date.

building19.txt

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

a girl i knew in high school was working at a kmart when it closed and she drew unemployment for 6 month. a 16 year girl from a good family drawing unemployment

Mr. Welfare
Feb 12, 2009

Centrelink's Finest

The Twinkie Czar posted:

You don't have Walmart, right? And do you have anything like Dollar General or Family Dollar? I think the unavoidable problem for Kmart, even our version of it, is that there's just too much competition in the downmarket arena.

Nope, but we do have a chain called "Big W" that has a blue pseudo-Walmart theme.

I don't think there is a dollar store chain (not that I've been keeping tabs on), but we have tonnes of independent "$2+ dollars" stores for weird cheap junk.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zeroisanumber posted:

There's a KMart in Minneapolis that's not only a decrepit pile of poo poo, but also divides a major thoroughfare, presenting a roadblock between downtown and the southern part of town. It smells like dust and sad and old, sour poo poo. The best thing about it is the taco trucks that park in the parking lot during lunchtime.

this doesn't really explain the insanity of this kmart very well

basically what they did when this kmart went in was, some geniuses at city hall decided they could stop white flight if they made the city more like the suburbs. so at this one point there was some open land on each side of Nicollet Ave, a major commercial street in Minneapolis, and they decided "hey we'll just plow up the road here and unite these 2 parcels of land on each side of Nicollet, then there will be enough land for a kmart" (not sure if kmart was involved at this point but it's the same general idea either way). then the land was leased in one of those hilarious "oh yeah, here's a 100 year lease for :10bux:" things. So now there's this fuckin kmart dead-zone in what could be a really nice, vibrant connection of Nicollet and Lake Street (seriously the parking lot is always almost totally empty). and the dude who owns the land lives out in California or some poo poo, so we're stuck with this lovely eyesore of several acres that nobody likes. the city has put together study groups to try and figure out if there is a viable way to get rid of it, but lol if that's going to happen anytime soon unless maybe there's some benefactor who would pay to buy the land back.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The Twinkie Czar posted:

You don't have Walmart, right? And do you have anything like Dollar General or Family Dollar? I think the unavoidable problem for Kmart, even our version of it, is that there's just too much competition in the downmarket arena.

I was in Walmart the other day and now they have a $1 zone or something I guess to compete with Dollar Tree.

Really though, if I need anything that cheap I'll just go to a dollar store because at least it's not Walmart.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this doesn't really explain the insanity of this kmart very well

basically what they did when this kmart went in was, some geniuses at city hall decided they could stop white flight if they made the city more like the suburbs. so at this one point there was some open land on each side of Nicollet Ave, a major commercial street in Minneapolis, and they decided "hey we'll just plow up the road here and unite these 2 parcels of land on each side of Nicollet, then there will be enough land for a kmart" (not sure if kmart was involved at this point but it's the same general idea either way). then the land was leased in one of those hilarious "oh yeah, here's a 100 year lease for :10bux:" things. So now there's this fuckin kmart dead-zone in what could be a really nice, vibrant connection of Nicollet and Lake Street (seriously the parking lot is always almost totally empty). and the dude who owns the land lives out in California or some poo poo, so we're stuck with this lovely eyesore of several acres that nobody likes. the city has put together study groups to try and figure out if there is a viable way to get rid of it, but lol if that's going to happen anytime soon unless maybe there's some benefactor who would pay to buy the land back.

If I ever lose my poo poo and do an Andrew Cunanan I'll try to bag that guy and Norm Green before I get pulled down by teeth and bullets.

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?
K-mart always feels a little bit like Innsmouth. I'm very much unwelcome and the denizens have a distinctive fishy taint to them.

SlickDealer
Dec 13, 2014

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.

Dehry posted:

There are a lot of regional closeout chains that are set up like this...I kind of wonder if they are all somehow connected, although the web yields nothing. The Ollie's near me is pretty decent though, although I don't always find that everything is a bargain.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blue Raider posted:

a girl i knew in high school was working at a kmart when it closed and she drew unemployment for 6 month. a 16 year girl from a good family drawing unemployment

sounds like she knows how to game the system, should have dated her

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

You pissed that you missed out?

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
I really want Tesco to suffer a similarly slow and embarrassing supermarket death

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SlickDealer posted:

There are a lot of regional closeout chains that are set up like this...I kind of wonder if they are all somehow connected, although the web yields nothing. The Ollie's near me is pretty decent though, although I don't always find that everything is a bargain.

There's people who are worth millions to billions of dollars and they own nothing but dollar store chains.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i went to a sub-ollie's outlet store and saw literally thousands of toilet brushes shaped like hillary clinton.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

on the subject of dollar stores: i found a cd of wizard clipart at one, but they wouldn't sell it it me because they had been ordered to destroy it.

Matchstick
Jul 10, 2004

More like Kame-Apart.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The Kmart in our town closed down about 6 months ago. I'm amazed it lasted that long, considering a Walmart opened up about 2 blocks away 7 or 8 years ago.

The Staples nearby closed about the same time. That upset me, because it was really easy to get stuff for school there. I'd come home and be able to get things I needed for the next day really close to home. Now the closest office supply is out of my way and a pain in the rear end to get to.

"Teaching: The only job where you steal office supplies from home to take to work."

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BKPR posted:

on the subject of dollar stores: i found a cd of wizard clipart at one, but they wouldn't sell it it me because they had been ordered to destroy it.

forbidden wizard clipart

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i have not shoplifted in a long time, but i was tempted.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

BKPR posted:

i have not shoplifted in a long time, but i was tempted.

Shoulda brought a laptop in and copied it and then left.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

You pissed that you missed out?

lol i was at the time

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Man I kind of miss back in the early 90s going with my parents to Kmart and oggling at the lego castle sets, then maybe getting some peperoni pizza at the end of it all.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
You should see some of the lease rates Kmart has locked in for their stores. I'm talking $1000 per month for 99 years with 60 years left on the lease.

Problem with most Kmarts is the customer base. Ever wonder why a Walmart will close a store and put up a new one a couple miles away?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i bet people who work at k marts take breaks to cry.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Prettz posted:

Man I kind of miss back in the early 90s going with my parents to Kmart and oggling at the lego castle sets, then maybe getting some peperoni pizza at the end of it all.

best thing about kmart in the 90s is mine was nice enough to have the amenities but didnt have the huge walmart customer base so you didnt have to jostle about the electronics department to take turns playing n64/psx/genesis/snes. i miss playing demos at stores

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Problem with most Kmarts is the customer base. Ever wonder why a Walmart will close a store and put up a new one a couple miles away?

to say "gently caress you" to the municipalities who do/don't give them subsidies? because that's usually the reason

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lutha Mahtin posted:

to say "gently caress you" to the municipalities who do/don't give them subsidies? because that's usually the reason

p much, or to avoid local taxes.

anyways, was the pizza at k-mart in square shape? it's kinda hazy like a fevor dream but have some memories of my mom taking me there to shop and get square pizzam, though even as a kid i remember thinking the store was poo poo

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yeah, that's why they move a couple miles in the same city.

HURP DERP.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

my home town still has like 6 fully-functional K-Marts, something like more than the number of operational K-Marts in Ohio. turns out transplants from Juarez love K-mart.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/kmart+el+paso/@31.8007491,-106.3610746,12z

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

InterceptorV8 posted:

This exact thing has happened near me. Now there's a gigantic shopping center with a gaping void taking up 80% of the space and a bunch of the usual parasite businesses (GNC, pet supply store, nail salon, pizzeria, etc) about to die. I have no idea who would buy that much space or what they would do with it.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

skaboomizzy posted:

This exact thing has happened near me. Now there's a gigantic shopping center with a gaping void taking up 80% of the space and a bunch of the usual parasite businesses (GNC, pet supply store, nail salon, pizzeria, etc) about to die. I have no idea who would buy that much space or what they would do with it.

Yeap, a Wallyworld did that around here, closed one store, opened two stores 5 miles apart because the customer base was getting a bit stabby.

Joke's on them, they had a shooting at the other one.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Rutibex posted:

all the k-mart in canada where bought by Target, then one year later Target left canada and is abandoning them lol

E: no wait that was zellers

in australia it's part of the coles and myer group which includes target as well as a bunch of booze stores. also coles and myer

there's a new k-mart opening near me so it can't be doing too bad

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
K-Mart was my family's go-to store growing up until it got pushed out of its huge box on the big box store strip and was supplanted by, like, a Michael's. I didn't see one again until I went to college out of state, looking for a cheap fan. Holy poo poo was it the most depressing place I'd ever been in, it was like a scaled-down Wal-Mart for trailer trash at that point. I saw a dog being roast over a spit in the middle of the road once in the Philippines, and I felt more comfortable then than in K-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like to think Ames is in heaven waiting for his friend to at long last join him.

• Locked thread