Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i don't know if there was ever a time where the rolling stones were actually the biggest band on the planet, let alone continuously for 40 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Oh how you were a beautiful gust, Zou.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

going for guerrero tonight lads. stick a quid on it

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Ninja PD posted:

Oh how you were a beautiful gust, Zou.

Not that I'm gonna watch it now that I was spoiled-by Bad Left Hook and not you -but how bad do you have to gently caress p to lose a decision as the Chinese boxing hero in Macau?

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

thehappyprince posted:

going for guerrero tonight lads. stick a quid on it

I'm no Guerrero fan but I'm surprised that he's being slept on for this fight. Thurman is still a bit green.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Slaine posted:

I'm no Guerrero fan but I'm surprised that he's being slept on for this fight. Thurman is still a bit green.

Seriously. I think it is a 50/50 fight or around there. People forget that Guerrero was a champion in multiple weight classes and a great outside boxer besides. I think he will lose this fight if he approaches Thurman like he's Berto though.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I typed up a thread for Thurman-Guerrero to give it some more exposure.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
When will Broner be out of boxing cause this is a joke.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This could be a pretty huge premier for Thurman.

This production style needs to get dirty with time.

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 8, 2015

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Ninja PD posted:

This could be a pretty huge premier for Thurman.

This production style needs to get dirty with time.

I cant stand the production. It just seems so tacky.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
theres a gdt you tards

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Will the kovalev fight next week be any good?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Roman Herbom posted:

Will the kovalev fight next week be any good?

it should be for as long as it lasts. i worry for pascal with his conditioning a bit but he did go 12 with bute so who knows

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't

quote:

While full info is not yet available, the Premier Boxing show on NBC, the first network broadcast of boxing on the network since 1985, drew a 2.5 rating. That's larger than all but the biggest MMA fights on network TV have done, with UFC doing in the 1.4 to 1.6 ratings range during non-football season broadcasts. This is also the overnight rating, which means it should increase due to the West Coast, when the final numbers are announced on Tuesday.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've got nothing against MMA, but the fights are usually over so quickly, the actual broadcast ends up being 60% preview, talking heads, and build up and 20-40% actual fight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The production value of PBC was amazing. I did think the commentary was lacking.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

the commentary was the best non-thurman/guerrero part of last night

they just poo poo all over everything and that owned

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The first PBC show was good if a little awkward at times, something that will probably get fixed as the commentators get a little more comfortable. I expect the goal of Haymon is to boost that viewership number up over time.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

The first PBC show was good if a little awkward at times, something that will probably get fixed as the commentators get a little more comfortable. I expect the goal of Haymon is to boost that viewership number up over time.

bet that number would be way higher if the broner fight wasnt poo poo, probably scared most of the audience away from the main

would love to see quarterlies to see broner losing viewers

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lots of boxing on this week. On Friday we have a crossroads fight between Andre Berto and Josecito Lopez, plus Shawn Porter and Chris Arreola are on the card. It's on Spike TV and to be honest I think it's a card on the level of some of the Boxing After Dark cards HBO used to put on. I'm picking Berto against Lopez who I still think is a little small for the welterweight division.

Saturday is Kovalev-Pascal. I have Pascal as a live underdog who could give Kovalev problems with his athletic ambushing style. Pascal has sizable power too. Still think the Krusher will come through and probably within the distance.

PBC ratings got released and the estimate is 3.13 million viewers averaged over the night. It won out in the 18-49 demographic which is definitely a big success in terms of growing the show. Worth noting is that the most-watched period of the night were the last 6 rounds of Thurman-Guerrero, meaning the biggest number of people saw the best part of that fight. There's also some talk about how the viewer numbers may be underestimated due to Neilson crediting 1.2 viewers per household watching boxing, an awfully low number if you think about (for example) the Hispanic community tuning in.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 9, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack of Hearts posted:

50 Cent made his vast fortune largely off of Vitamin Water being a thing for some reason.

50 made VitaminWater cool and got himself paid with shares in the company. That's not "some reason;" that's the business acumen.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

PBC ratings got released and the estimate is 3.13 million viewers averaged over the night. It won out in the 18-49 demographic which is definitely a big success in terms of growing the show. Worth noting is that the most-watched period of the night were the last 6 rounds of Thurman-Guerrero, meaning the biggest number of people saw the best part of that fight. There's also some talk about how the viewer numbers may be underestimated due to Neilson crediting 1.2 viewers per household watching boxing, an awfully low number if you think about (for example) the Hispanic community tuning in.

good man, the broner fight sucked poo poo but its great that the guerrero/thurman fight got exposure and didn't let broner ruin primetime network boxing

hope for more of these cards soon

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Rounds 9-12 of Thurman/Guerrero were some of the best I've seen in a while.

Anyone got hourly ratings? If people saw that, they'll come back.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

someusername posted:

Rounds 9-12 of Thurman/Guerrero were some of the best I've seen in a while.

Anyone got hourly ratings? If people saw that, they'll come back.

Not sure about hourly ratings but the most-watched part of the show was definitely those last six rounds of Thurman-Guerrero.

3.4 million viewers averaged looks like the complete number.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Why do people not like Adrien Broner, a man who films himself flushing money down the toilet and then posts it to youtube?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The reason I hate him is he could not rip off Floyd Mayweather more blatantly unless he changed his name to "Pretty Boy Broner" before becoming "About Billions"

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Broner's schtick works if he's knocking out chumps and people want to watch to see him lose (the Prince Naseem argument). When he's already lost and he's winning tedious decisions then no one gives a poo poo.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Lionel Richie posted:

Broner's schtick works if he's knocking out chumps and people want to watch to see him lose (the Prince Naseem argument). When he's already lost and he's winning tedious decisions then no one gives a poo poo.

Pretty much.

I'm sure Al Haymon gets pumped when Adrien says things like "the way I fought against Maidana was for the fans, and you see how that turned out", after a horrendously boring fight. That's gotta be great for advertising and attracting eyeballs!

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

ozymandius1024 posted:

Pretty much.

I'm sure Al Haymon gets pumped when Adrien says things like "the way I fought against Maidana was for the fans, and you see how that turned out", after a horrendously boring fight. That's gotta be great for advertising and attracting eyeballs!

"I can be exciting, or victorious, but not both. Now gimme that money, baby!"

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

theyve got buffer and lennon jr at the press conference.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

this is a trainwreck. arum mentioning the holocaust, manny's started preaching. wtf

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Floyd sounded sick or nervous or something.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
this seemed like a funeral or something. Floyd making those fans hype by promoting 'Shots' while on the verge of tears for some reason.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

floyd came off like a poor man's bhop tbh

tickets at $1500 - $7000 lol

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

floyd came off like a poor man's bhop tbh

tickets at $1500 - $7000 lol

lol at actually being able to buy tickets at any price

EDIT: Other than being some superwhale who plays baccarat at 20K a hand.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 11, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The crowd will be filled with Asian business tycoons and rich kids who have never seen another live fight before, in person or otherwise.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Floyd sounded sick or nervous or something.

Am I the only one who thinks he could be done after this fight? He can't have much more fights left on his deal, and he flatout said last year he thought he had 1 or 2 more years left in him.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks he could be done after this fight? He can't have much more fights left on his deal, and he flatout said last year he thought he had 1 or 2 more years left in him.

I think he only has 1 fight left in the contract after this. If he wins I bet he just calls it a day.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how I'm just now hearing of this, but AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! loving kill him Pacquiao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

The crowd will be filled with Asian business tycoons and rich kids who have never seen another live fight before, in person or otherwise.

Maybe not totally accurate though. I mean someone had to attend all those Zou Shiming cards.

• Locked thread