Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

ozymandius1024 posted:

Is Beterbiev close enough to the title level?

Maybe but still needs to work up the second tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Stevenson is absolutely not going to fight Kovalev, but I want to believe him anyway.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Kovalev looked like he punched himself out trying to finish pascal in the 4th and it took him a while to recover. Pascal's conditioning let him down and he was about to be killed on his feet before the ref stopped it.

Grittybeard posted:

Stevenson is absolutely not going to fight Kovalev, but I want to believe him anyway.

Stevenson will drop the belt assuming he wins his upcoming fight.

eric fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 15, 2015

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

eric posted:

Kovalev looked like he punched himself out trying to finish pascal in the 4th and it took him a while to recover. Pascal's conditioning let him down and he was about to be killed on his feet before the ref stopped it.

Stevenson will drop the belt assuming he wins his upcoming fight.

Sakio Bika clinching and rabbit punching the poo poo out of Stevenson seems like a pretty cool outcome.

Probably should've given a Pascal another count when they were in the corner but the stoppage-like Lopez getting stopped by Berto last night-isn't inappropriate per se but just doesn't sit well. I know it is be low on the list of things wrong with boxing but there need to be clearer guidellines on when fights are stopped as it ends up coming down to ref styles with the Luis Pabons of the world at one end and Steve Smoger at the other.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I don't have any problem with the stoppage. Pascal was clearly hurt and stumbling around, and the refs job is to stop a guy from getting seriously hurt in this situation.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, I'd be a lot less happy about the stoppage if the last 3 punches thrown of the fight hadn't all connected and left him either stumbling out on his feet or clearly not defending himself. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy a rematch or that he doesn't deserve one, because him lasting that long was a hell of a lot better than I expected him to and it was a great fight, but that's one stoppage I don't disagree with.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
If Kovalev had not slipped and taken the ref's attention away, the fight might have been stopped right then. Pascal could not even keep his balance, but the ref was looking at Kovalev.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was there live. Was super cool. Lots of screaming wars in the crowd between pro-Pascal Montrealers and a surprisingly loud Russian minority. Five bodyshot knockdowns on the prelims. I'm still not sure what exactly happened when Kovalev hit the deck there.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
At the Kovalev Hopkins fight like 20 Russians got in a brawl with each other before the it even got to the third round. Did you see anything crazy like that?

Live boxing rules..I can't wait to go to another fight

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ribsauce posted:

At the Kovalev Hopkins fight like 20 Russians got in a brawl with each other before the it even got to the third round. Did you see anything crazy like that?

Live boxing rules..I can't wait to go to another fight

I didn't see any brawls. Just lots of blind drunk French Canadian cougars in obnoxious stiletto heels - "why do you want to go to the over there? Why should we not go to the outside at the over here where I can smoke and drink and do whatever the gently caress I want." There was also a drunk russian guy walking laps around the block in the snowstorm after the event yelling KOVALEV right in the face of every person he encountered. I saw him four times while I was waiting for my ride.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was out of town this weekend and missed both of the big events (PBC on Spike and Kovalev-Pascal). From what I heard, Kovalev had some trouble early but managed to close the show against a wilting Pascal. Not a surprising outcome to be sure; Pascal always reminded me of Roy Jones Jr. without the consistency. This win puts Kovalev in my top ten for sure.

The schedule is pretty sparse until April, no real notable fights this week and the return of Kell Brook the week after. Brook is a big wild card right now because for such a movement-heavy fighter to get stabbed in the leg raises all sorts of questions about his return. I hope he hasn't lost anything in the ring, as it would be great to see him and Amir Khan duke it out to see who's the best European welterweight.

We're less than two months away from the Mayweather-Pacquiao thread and I will probably end up making a separate thread to break down the fighters, the matchup, and some of their previous matches. Hopefully it'll be a good way for people that aren't familiar with boxing to get into the fight anyway.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was out of town this weekend and missed both of the big events (PBC on Spike and Kovalev-Pascal). From what I heard, Kovalev had some trouble early but managed to close the show against a wilting Pascal. Not a surprising outcome to be sure; Pascal always reminded me of Roy Jones Jr. without the consistency. This win puts Kovalev in my top ten for sure.

Kovalev looked great early and almost had Pascal out in the 3rd. He made a mistake and punched himself out trying to finish Pascal early in the 4th and it allowed Pascal to get back in it a little and hit some wild right hands in the 5th/6th. Kovalev recovered by the 7th and with a little more respect for Pascal went back to work and it was over for Pascal. I also can't wait for May 2nd.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

The schedule is pretty sparse until April, no real notable fights this week and the return of Kell Brook the week after.

Jhonny Gonzalez-Gary Russell jr and Jermell (?) Charlo vs Vanes Martirosyan is the 28th as well.

Schedule is getting pretty loaded throughout with Golovkin set to return May 16th against Willie Monroe Jr (top 15-20 ish middleweight who won Espn's 'boxcino' tournament last year and most recently beat Bryan Vera) and Lomachenko-Gemalier Rodriguez (his mandatory) added to the May-Pac undercard.

Neither fight seems is all that on its merits but its nice to see Golovkin stay active against someone other than the Rod Salka of middleweights and Lomachenko should put on a show in front of a really big audience.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/383767-willie-monroe-jr-granted-may-16-title-shot-against-gennady-golovkin

http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/3/12/8205025/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-vasyl-lomachenko-officially-added-to-undercard

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

That Kovalev-Pascal fight was brutal. Both men were winded as gently caress by 5, Kovalev especially. That counter-punch from Pascal that floored Kov looked like blind luck; The guy was out on his feet and looked like he didn't know what just happened. I don't like stoppages but he clearly couldn't keep his hands up, that last hook was fuckin' nasty.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
life is confusing sometimes

http://www.sherdog.com/blog/Former-Presidential-Candidate-Mitt-Romney-Set-to-Box-Evander-Holyfield-for-Charity-83463#5uCc7TvIXFxOqWiJ.01

quote:

Former presidential hopeful Mitt Romney will box former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield for charity on May 15.

The matchup takes place at the Rail Event Center in Salt Lake City and will serve as the main event of the evening. The Salt Lake Tribune first reported the news.

Romney (0-0) and Holyfield (44-10-2, 29 KOs) agreed to the bout in order to support Charity Vision, an organization that focuses on helping physicians in the developing world put an end the blindness epidemic.

"It will either be a very short fight, or I will be knocked unconscious," Romney told the Salt Lake Tribune. "It won't be much of a fight. We'll both suit up and get in the ring and spar around a little bit.”

Holyfield, who has not competed professionally since 2011, is a four-time heavyweight champion and is best known for his infamous bouts against Mike Tyson in 1996 and 1997.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I hope this is like that time Holyfield fought Matt Hardy in a 'fake' wrestling boxing thing and still managed to knock him stupid. Er.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

pascal wants to pack some muscle on and be a 3 round fighter

http://www.boxingscene.com/pascal-wants-stiverne-heavyweights-manager-shocked--88691

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wasn't getting enough brain damage being hit by the smaller guys I guess

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Is Kell big for the division? He looked smart and strong cue sticking Porter, I don't think he needs his legs as much for mobility as dominance.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Ninja PD posted:

Is Kell big for the division? He looked smart and strong cue sticking Porter, I don't think he needs his legs as much for mobility as dominance.

they've been talking about him going to 154 lately but i cant remember him ever having much trouble making welter

what time is he on, anyone know?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

they've been talking about him going to 154 lately but i cant remember him ever having much trouble making welter

what time is he on, anyone know?

Unless he's going straight to Canelo or Cotto I can't see moving up to 154 since all the money's still at welter.

Showtime broadcast starts at 5:15 CST so (doing some crude math) I believe 10:15 GMT?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Sweet KO. Khomitsky loves ruining the local big ticket sellers, first Buglioni now Etches.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

haha they were trying to hype this dude up, saying if he stops this guy he'll be in the company of golovkin, and he got sparked

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

yo Kell what really happened in that dudes apartment??

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Brook's video packages are amazing.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i always think spending the millions on buffer is such a waste of money but all the english ones are so wank i can't blame em

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Apparently Jo Jo Dan's real name is Donut or something.

EDIT: I guess I'm on some sort of delay? :10bux: well spent

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Good show if a bit much at times. poo poo is about to go down.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

national anthems are such a loving BORE who even gives a poo poo in year of our lord 2k15

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The lad who sits in front of me at the football was trying to sell me tickets to this for £150. He'd bought up a load under the foolish assumption that it would sell out and he could make some money out of it.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

well stubhub is sponsoring it so the touts must be doing well

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
An incredibly overclassed mandatory :monocle:

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage