Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Oooh - this was one of my favorite games back in the day. I considered trying to put together a LP of it a while back, but didn't get too far before I gave up on that. Looking forward to this!

Explore more! And if possible, set up a .gif for some of the enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
I still have the manual that came with the Interplay collection a while back - if you'd like, I can post descriptions and info of the spells as we find them.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Slavery! It's one of the routes I never ended up exploring.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Magic Rundown - Low Magic:

Some spells have the option of spending more MP when you cast them to increase their effect - this is capped by the caster's relevant Magic skill.

Mage Fire (2MP) - Does 1-8 damage to one enemy 30' away. It's useful early on as something to do when enemies approach, but is outclassed by basically everything else.
Disarm (4MP) - Disarms a foe? It states that it won't work on natural weapons, but I've never seen this work on anyone.
Charm (3MP) - Increases one target's AV by 1 for the duration of battle, and also heals 1-2HP? Never bothered with it, but that's what the description says.
Luck(3MP) - Increases one target's DV by 2 for the duration of battle. No fun secondary effects.
Lesser Heal(2MP) - Heals 1-4 points of health to 1 target. Probably the best Low Magic spell, due to the way Stun damage works. If one of your guys falls out of the fight, this brings them back in before you lose.
Mage Light(1+MP) - If you're in a dark area, cast this so you can see - it lasts 3 hours per MP spent. Another key Low Magic spell.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Magic Rundown - High Magic pt. 1:

Air Summon(1MP+) - Gives you an Air Elemental party member. They're not great, but they're a body to put in the way. Each MP gives you 4 hours (according to the book - that seems a bit off), but you shouldn't ever pay more than the minimum, since you can just resummon them later fully healed.
Elvar's Fire (6MP) - Hits an enemy group within 30 feet for 2-12 damage. This is not great damage, and it's kind of inefficient, but here and now it's incredible. It's been a while, but as I recall, there's a repeatable encounter against a horde of some kind of vermin that shows up nearby that Elvar's Fire demolishes handily for decent XP.

Sun Magic pt. 1:
Exorcism(5MP) - Absolutely wrecks a group of undead within 50 feet for 6-36 damage. Does more damage at a longer range and is cheaper than Elvar's Fire, but more selective targets.
Guidance (1MP+) - Gives you a compass. Compasses are useful for obvious reasons. 1mp per 3 hours.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Magic Rundown:

Sun Magic pt. 2:
Sunstroke (1+ MP): As Rujasu mentioned, 1-8 damage per mp spent to a target within 20 feet. Doesn't have the best range, but is very efficient.

High Magic pt. 2:
Fire Light (1+MP): It's the same as Sunstroke, but slightly better - 1-8 damage per MP spent to a target within 30 feet. For some reason I recall Sunstroke being better, but the book has Fire Light with a slight edge on range. EDIT: According to the OP, damage should be 1-6 per MP, and the book is wrong. This meets more with what my memory says.

Druid Magic pt. 1

Greater Heal (4MP): Heals 1-6 damage on one target. As you might recall, Lesser Heal does 1-4 damage for 2mp. The potential for the extra 2 HP doesn't really add a lot of survivability over the Low Magic spell, and you have to have access to Low Magic to even get Druid Magic. This spell is just bad.

MaskedHuzzah fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 10, 2015

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Magical Forest! Because both sequences are awesome, but I think it's better to do the Forest first!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Phoebus sounds fun!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Magic Rundown - More Druid Magic:

Death Curse (6mp): 3-18 damage to a single enemy within 40 feet. It's not super efficient, but it has an okay range.

Fire Blast (12mp): 4-24 damage to a group within 30 feet. It's basically two Elvar's fires stapled together, but in Druid magic. Kind of expensive - frequently more expensive than you actually need for that number of targets - there's not a lot you want to use this on that Elvar's Fire isn't very nearly as good at dealing with.

Insect Plague(4MP): Decreases AV and DV of a group within 40 feet by two each. It's cheap, but it doesn't see a lot of use - reducing AV and DV by such a low amount rarely has a large impact on combat. It might stack though, possibly making it hilariously potent? Or you can just blast it with fire and other ranged weapons and the problem is solved.

Whirl Wind (4MP): A group within 40 feet of you gets pushed back 30 feet. Useful if you have a solid range superiority over a guy who has a devastating melee attack. Rarely useful.

Scare(2MP): Improves the party's AV by 2. Whoopdyshit. Once again, might be good if it can stack, otherwise not really going to substantially impact a combat.

Beast Call(1MP+): It's like summoning anything else, but it's a beast! It gets in the way of enemies and takes hits for you! I don't recall any of the summoned creatures really standing out.

High Magic:

Cloak Arcane(1MP+): This gives +2AC for the party. This seems like a minor bonus, and it kind of is but... it's cast out of combat, so it's not occupying one of your mage's turns. It lasts for an hour per MP. It's not the best effect, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything!

Sense Traps(1MP+): Let's say that you were worried about traps and wanted a way to find them with magic. This is it! Good work!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
That's one of my favorite sequences of the game - sure, they could have done the now traditional "Knock you out in a cutscene", but setting up a battle like that just to shove you into a prison really made it worth it.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The City of the Yellow Mud Toad! With a name like that, how can it not be entertaining?

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Glazius posted:

That was actually a pretty worthy trap for the unwary.

It's also a great trap for people who read the "paragraphs" in advance (like me as a kid). They see the note about the sword being there, surrounded by drama and ready for the taking. The part about it murdering you is only mentioned in-game.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
College of Magic ,because I can't remember it at all.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Game Preserve. Sounds less dramatic than the Valley, so it's bound to be important.!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall this at all - must have somehow overlooked it in my playthroughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to this finally finishing - love the ending sequence of this game.

• Locked thread