Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

The Whole Internet posted:

My parents were pretty cool and chill, and I grew up well-adjusted and don't resent them at all. But I was unemployed and living with them for a year out of college (graduated in 2010), and my dad gave me some grief for it. Gave me advice for getting a job that wasn't much help.

And then he lost his job, and spent two years unemployed!

So this thread is pretty good and relevant imo.

Yeah, a lot of this advice is well intentioned and not mean.
Sometimes older people even understand, on paper, what it is like. Like, they agree, but their habits still revert to "Oh, just call up and ask!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

The Whole Internet posted:

My parents were pretty cool and chill, and I grew up well-adjusted and don't resent them at all. But I was unemployed and living with them for a year out of college (graduated in 2010), and my dad gave me some grief for it. Gave me advice for getting a job that wasn't much help.

And then he lost his job, and spent two years unemployed!

So this thread is pretty good and relevant imo.
Dad status: owned

He's about to get double owned playing Mario Kart with his also unemployed son

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Whatev posted:

Dad status: owned

He's about to get double owned playing Mario Kart with his also unemployed son

*spends entire race in 8th place, constantly owns son with blue shells and lightning bolts--the mario kart equivalent of welfare, finishes in 1st

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Whatev posted:

"It's not about who you know, it's about who you blow"

Thanks for that fruitless 2 year detour Auntie you stupid bitch

superhans said that too, so there must be something to it

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I didn't get a cost of living raise this year. Cool.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
just get a job at ups they are always hiring new full-time warehouse guys
now in 1988 i started there at $17 an hour so by now they should be hiring new guys at around $50

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Professor Shark posted:

Baby Boomer Teachers are the worst. They all walked into jobs when they were 22 and have had them ever since, they skew heavy towards high functioning alcoholism, and an unfortunate percentage view Substitutes as failures for not having jobs right away, even while retired teachers aren't having their jobs replaced.

"Tough? I had it tough! *insert some story that doesn't sound all that bad* Also, why should I have to leave a detailed lesson plan? If the guy who comes in here doesn't know Calculus, that isn't my problem!"

I'll be lucky if I have a permanent job by the time I'm 35. A guy I know just got his permanent position, he's 40 :woop:

Holy poo poo quoted for truth. You get the occasional one who can really remember what it was like to teach before NCLB and all the rest, and they're awesome, though. Angry, real angry, but not entitled.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

whatis posted:

*spends entire race in 8th place, constantly owns son with blue shells and lightning bolts--the mario kart equivalent of welfare, finishes in 1st

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Humboldt Squid posted:

I hear there's free land in the Oregon territories

Grandma dug out all the info she was given on homesteading as a young girl in the Depression and encouraged me to drop out of school and start farming when I had some trouble with math in 4th grade. Grandma was arrested for hunting possums in Florida a few years later. We didn't live anywhere near Florida.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
"A few days after submitting your resume, go into the office and hand a letter of appreciation to the hiring manager. It'll keep your resume fresh in their mind and show initiative."

I was naive/desperate enough to try this one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"A few days after submitting your resume, go into the office and hand a letter of appreciation to the hiring manager. It'll keep your resume fresh in their mind and show initiative."

I was naive/desperate enough to try this one.

Did you break into the building or what

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Did you break into the building or what

Nah, just left it with the manager's assistant/secretary (with predictable results).

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
boomers are the worst people ever

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I've been fortunate to not have been through any real droughts of un or underemployment, but it really kinds gets me going when I hear the majority at work(I'm in aerospace defense, average age 55) guys complain about not getting their 3-5% raise for the year when they

A) are already in the top quartile of their pay
B) have massive pensions and 401k/stocks
C) refuse to drive in if there are more than 10 snow flakes falling from the sky at any one time
D) religiously walk around the office to gab from 8 am to 10 am

Like c'mon man, don't complain to me, I got hired in at average wage, cant get a pension, can't progress because you are farting around in your chair until you hit 70 and lose your mind, and have to continually prove myself over and over.

God I can't wait till I'm near retirement age so I can not give a gently caress

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

stop blaming the fact that you're an unemployable loser on "the economy"

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Parallax Scroll posted:

stop blaming the fact that you're an unemployable loser on "the economy"

right, blame it on obama

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like some advice on a specific topic. What is the best way to leverage social networking like LinkedIn during a job-hunt?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Horniest Manticore posted:

boomers are the worst people ever

The Greatest Generation

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Considering that boomers will be the people doing your interviews, maybe listen to their advice?

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Bishop posted:

Considering that boomers will be the people doing your interviews, maybe listen to their advice?

their advice sucks and doesn't work

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

ghetto wormhole posted:

I would rather slowly lower myself into a wood chipper than fill out eighty job applications in one day. I'm not sure it would even be possible.

It's absolutely possible, if it takes you less than ten minutes per application, and they're all lined up neatly on a table for you.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

"You make $21,000 a year. Why haven't you bought a house yet and settled down?"

*bought a four bedroom house in 1973 for $20,000*

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

You Are A Elf posted:

"You make $21,000 a year. Why haven't you bought a house yet and settled down?"

*bought a four bedroom house in 1973 for $20,000*

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
In highschool there was an assembly where the speaker told us that yes, with a college degree and a little savings we could all retire millionaires.

idk if that counts as "boomers are stupid and/or shitheads" or "financial people are stupid and/or shitheads."

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
its saltier than the salt miner's butthole in here

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 23, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

I'd like some advice on a specific topic. What is the best way to leverage social networking like LinkedIn during a job-hunt?

Since most job applications want e-mail you can put a link in the e-mail. To be honest I'm not entirely sure myself. I never grew up with social media so I'm in the dark when it comes to that stuff and most job fairs and conventions never really touch on the subject.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Hobo By Design posted:

In highschool there was an assembly where the speaker told us that yes, with a college degree and a little savings we could all retire millionaires.

Well, living with your parents until they die might make that work and since most young people are doing just that he may be able to prove that theory eventually!

*edit* whoops double post

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hobo By Design posted:

idk if that counts as "boomers are stupid and/or shitheads" or "financial people are stupid and/or shitheads."

Could, being the operative word.

Weak language from motivational speakers.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Hobo By Design posted:

That'll be the case for most college people who save even a small % of their money dude. Compound interest and long term investments is a hell of a thing.

Maybe dont call millions of people 'stupid and/or shitheads' when you are completely ignorant of something people learn in high school algebra.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

That'll be the case for most college people who save even a small % of their money dude. Compound interest and long term investments is a hell of a thing.

Maybe dont call millions of people 'stupid and/or shitheads' when you are completely ignorant of something people learn in high school algebra.

And Hobo, he's got you here.

Warren Buffet is a great example.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

Don't. LinkedIn, at least in my field, is basically an online resume with built in references (the endorsements).
You can ask friends/recent coworkers if they know any jobs they can point you at, but those would be people you'd be comfortable asking outside of LinkedIn. "Leveraging" sounds like you want to connect to a whole bunch of strangers in your field or contacts of contacts and start messaging them.

Boomer job advice: Where are my grandkids? Just find yourself a nice man on an average wage and buy a house near me and become a fulltime homemaker. A house and 3 kids is affordable on one wage if you stopped buying all those fancy things we didn't have and scrimped and saved a bit. I mean, look at this 4 year old $100 mobile phone, I mean that was my entire pay packet back in the day, and does it help you get a job? No, it's just for playing the angry birds and showing off to your friends.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"How the gently caress do I memorize these multiple coding languages!?" :psyduck:

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?
My last project manager was a boomer named Gary. His philosophy was "don't rock the boat" and he and three other boomer managers all maintained this perfectly calculated glacial pace to eek as much out of the government funding as possible. They actually fired people for working too fast.

There are few things as detrimental to society than a group of baby boomers desperate to get vested so they can immediately retire with full benefits, all while looking you in the eye and telling you there's no room for a cost of living increase in the budget this year.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
*listens to Rush Limbaugh on the radio at his cushy state job*
*is grandfathered into a retirement program much than the young people can get into*

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 23, 2015

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

That's the case for most people who save money through their life, regardless of education. Selling "it pays for itself" using a bunch of wacky assumptions about never being unemployed or never getting stuck at a bad job because "hey, you're a graduate" is scummy.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
lol nope

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 27, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Haha, Stupid Poors! Don't they know about Compound Interesttm? Don't they know that with the highest yield long-term CDs available (2.25% right now, US Treasury Bonds and Savings Account Rates are considerably lower, everything else carries significantly higher risk of being Madoffed or Recessioned), that they could make $1,089,094.46 after just 50 years if they just put $1000 a month into savings???

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 23, 2015

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

Haha, Stupid Poors! Don't they know about Compound Interesttm? Don't they know that with the highest yield long-term CDs available (2.25% right now, US Treasury Bonds and Savings Account Rates are considerably lower, everything else carries significantly higher risk of being Madoffed or Recessioned), that they could make 1,089,094.46 after just 50 years if they just put $1000 a month into savings???

Are you retarded or just trolling.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Are you retarded or just trolling.

Can't it be both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Oh, $1000.00 a month is also about 25% of the Net take home pay for the Average Salary in the US, hope you can get that 60K per year right out of High School, because if you take four years to go to college, you'll only make $918,272.79 by the time you hit 67!

• Locked thread