Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Are you retarded or just trolling.

I'd ask the same thing about you, but I think I know why you have that avatar now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i wish i lived in the states. even if it's hard to find jobs, at least you have half a continent to find work from. not so much in europe, yr pretty much stuck in your own country.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

Oh, $1000.00 a month is also about 25% of the Net take home pay for the Average Salary in the US, hope you can get that 60K per year right out of High School, because if you take four years to go to college, you'll only make $918,272.79 by the time you hit 67!

Show your work, including changes in interest rates, raises, avg cost of living, inflation/deflation and provide at least fifteen sources in a bibliography or :getout:

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?

Dyna Soar posted:

i wish i lived in the states. even if it's hard to find jobs, at least you have half a continent to find work from. not so much in europe, yr pretty much stuck in your own country.

Maybe, but the last couples places I worked at had a pretty unofficially-official rule of tossing out applications for people that weren't local. You can always move to a new place and THEN look for work, but, boy, that can go wrong fast.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

its saltier than the salt miner's butthole in here

There is always work in the salt mines if you can start at the bottom.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

fearlessflyingfish posted:

Maybe, but the last couples places I worked at had a pretty unofficially-official rule of tossing out applications for people that weren't local. You can always move to a new place and THEN look for work, but, boy, that can go wrong fast.

yeah and i've got a cushy job i won't be laid off from ever, so i'm cool. i just wish i had the opportunity for a complete change of scenery but not have to learn a new language. also wish i could live somewhere warm, like the southern states.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Show your work, including changes in interest rates, raises, avg cost of living, inflation/deflation and provide at least fifteen sources in a bibliography or :getout:

http://www.investor.gov/tools/calculators/compound-interest-calculator

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr12-02.pdf (Average US income is 51,371, about 8,630 less than what I got from my first google)

I could do a yearly breakdown, but as we had that recession 7 years ago, and Greenspan's obsessive cutting of Interest Rates for almost 20 years before that, I think we can safely conclude that Interest Rates decline over time, so picking the current high and going with that is probably a conservative bet.

My Great Aunt bought me a $25.00 Savings Bond when I was born in 1975. It had 7% interest and matured in 7 years. (I cashed it out at 16 and made $75 on it) Today you could buy a comparable Savings Bond for $25.00 and it will have a 00.10% interest rate.

To put it another way, Interest Rates have been slashed to disincentivize savings and to keep the poors poor, because when poors save their money, they're not spending it and making the rich richer economy grow.

The compound interest BS you were taught as a kid doesn't work with low interest rates, it's a Big Numbers (Ooh, Millions!!!) jazz hands distraction to reinforce the "Just World - Americans Can All Succeed If Only They Try Hard Enough!" myth.

Before Greenspan and the Ayn Rand/Reaganite Economists took over, it did work because you could find savings accounts with 5+% interest rates and you could find Savings Bonds with 7-10% interest.

Hell, before George W. Bush came out and said they were useless in 2001, ten year Treasury Notes were pulling 6-7% interest. Now they're pulling 2%, Maybe, and people CHEER when the Fed slashes interest rates.

In essence, that's what this whole thread is about! "The Stuff you Boomers were taught as kids doesn't work anymore because you hosed up and continue to gently caress up the world!"

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Why the gently caress would you, as a private individual, buy us bonds, treasury notes, and motherfucking savings accounts for retirement. Like I dont even know how to combat this ignorance.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

My Q-Face posted:

http://www.investor.gov/tools/calculators/compound-interest-calculator

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr12-02.pdf (Average US income is 51,371, about 8,630 less than what I got from my first google)

I could do a yearly breakdown, but as we had that recession 7 years ago, and Greenspan's obsessive cutting of Interest Rates for almost 20 years before that, I think we can safely conclude that Interest Rates decline over time, so picking the current high and going with that is probably a conservative bet.

My Great Aunt bought me a $25.00 Savings Bond when I was born in 1975. It had 7% interest and matured in 7 years. (I cashed it out at 16 and made $75 on it) Today you could buy a comparable Savings Bond for $25.00 and it will have a 00.10% interest rate.

To put it another way, Interest Rates have been slashed to disincentivize savings and to keep the poors poor, because when poors save their money, they're not spending it and making the rich richer economy grow.

The compound interest BS you were taught as a kid doesn't work with low interest rates, it's a Big Numbers (Ooh, Millions!!!) jazz hands distraction to reinforce the "Just World - Americans Can All Succeed If Only They Try Hard Enough!" myth.

Before Greenspan and the Ayn Rand/Reaganite Economists took over, it did work because you could find savings accounts with 5+% interest rates and you could find Savings Bonds with 7-10% interest.

Hell, before George W. Bush came out and said they were useless in 2001, ten year Treasury Notes were pulling 6-7% interest. Now they're pulling 2%, Maybe, and people CHEER when the Fed slashes interest rates.

In essence, that's what this whole thread is about! "The Stuff you Boomers were taught as kids doesn't work anymore because you hosed up and continue to gently caress up the world!"

Should I be proud that my throwaway "ITT" thread became a center for serious business socioeconomic debate?
I think I will be proud.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Why the gently caress would you, as a private individual, buy us bonds, treasury notes, and motherfucking savings accounts for retirement. Like I dont even know how to combat this ignorance.

Why the gently caress wouldn't you? They are the lowest risk. 401Ks and other Mutual Funds and Stocks and other Investment vehicles are riskier and you run the risk of being in a Market Down-turn when it comes time to start drawing your retirement, and guess what? When you're supposed to retire at 65 or 67 or 80, whatever it ends up being, you can't just put off retiring until the market recovers, as that could take years! (Or, you could because you're a stupid Baby Boomer who bought into the whole Private Investment Accounts Are Better! lie.)

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

glowing-fish posted:

Should I be proud that my throwaway "ITT" thread became a center for serious business socioeconomic debate?
I think I will be proud.

trolling teenagers to post their economic treatises on "how things really go down" is doing gods work my friend

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

Why the gently caress wouldn't you? They are the lowest risk. 401Ks and other Mutual Funds and Stocks and other Investment vehicles are riskier and you run the risk of being in a Market Down-turn when it comes time to start drawing your retirement, and guess what? When you're supposed to retire at 65 or 67 or 80, whatever it ends up being, you can't just put off retiring until the market recovers, as that could take years! (Or, you could because you're a stupid Baby Boomer who bought into the whole Private Investment Accounts Are Better! lie.)

omg

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

For what it's worth, I'm almost 40 with no debt, and I make six figures.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So instead of simply piling all of your money into a savings account or bonds, you'll also have to diversify your portfolio out and invest in equities in the private sector? Maybe even branch out into commodities, once the more popular ones reach a better value? Perhaps even wait for the fed to raise the Interest rate, which they are thinking about doing this year, before investing in a t-bond?

You mean you'll still have to WORK at investments to make money? :qq: A Bloo Bloo Bloo.

There isn't one singular way to just make money and then retire off of it? The horror, the shock!

You Have To Put Forth Effort To Do THINGS?! :suicide:

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

For what it's worth, I'm almost 40 with no debt, and I make six figures.

I'm 83 years young and a international shipping magnate making a deece 7 figgies

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I'm 83 years young and a international shipping magnate making a deece 7 figgies

Can I have a job polishing your testicles, Sir?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

So instead of simply piling all of your money into a savings account or bonds, you'll also have to diversify your portfolio out and investing in equities in the private sector? Maybe even branch out into commodities, once the more popular ones reach a better value? Perhaps even wait for the fed to raise the Interest rate, which they are thinking about doing this year, before investing in a t-bond?

You mean you'll still have to WORK at investments to make money? :qq: A Bloo Bloo Bloo.

There isn't one singular way to just make money and then retire off of it? The horror, the shock!

Gosh, it's like you want to MAKE money instead of just saving for retirement! It's like, you already have a job and a family and the whole nine taking up all your time, but then you have to take on a second job, and incidentally one that pays other people a gently caress-load more than you're making to do the same thing, just so that you don't starve when you are too old to do real work? Oh gently caress!! :suicide:

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

VendaGoat posted:

So instead of simply piling all of your money into a savings account or bonds, you'll also have to diversify your portfolio out and invest in equities in the private sector? Maybe even branch out into commodities, once the more popular ones reach a better value? Perhaps even wait for the fed to raise the Interest rate, which they are thinking about doing this year, before investing in a t-bond?

I bet he thinks investing in stocks and market bonds loses money or is a death trap. Just laugh with me.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I bet he thinks investing in stocks and market bonds loses money or is a death trap. Just laugh with me.

Dude went heavy in his POGS Portfolio and shorted Beanie Babies in the 90's

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Who hasn't been profoundly affected by the Great Pokemon Card Depression?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I knew it!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Actually, he bought Netflix at <$20, Omeros at $4 and GoPro at $30. But do tell me more about how the average American can do this if they save just a small percentage of their income!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

I knew it!

im gay is there an issue, please stick to showing us all how the world really works instead of attackingsomeone elses sexual orientation.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

My Q-Face posted:

Actually, he bought Netflix at <$20, Omeros at $4 and GoPro at $30. But do tell me more about how the average American can do this if they save just a small percentage of their income!

like this thank you

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

How can I save 54 dollars? Help me My Q-Face Kenobi, you're my only hope.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

you guys should just buy gold, the skies the limit.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

skeletonotherkin posted:

I'm heavily invested in Mangosteen

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

skeletonotherkin posted:

if you've invested in gold anytime in the last 50 years you've made a gently caress ton of money but I'm not sure how much longer before it undergoes a correction. I'll probably jump in then.

Right now my portfolio consists of second life futures and an old pile of digimon booster packs.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

How can I save 54 dollars? Help me My Q-Face Kenobi, you're my only hope.

No, no, tell me, please, why am I the only one doling out advice? It's like you're retards and trolls! :confused:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

No, no, tell me, please, why am I the only one doling out advice? It's like you're retards and trolls! :confused:

Don't sign your posts

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

Don't sign your posts

OOOOH! You really Got My Goat!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

My Q-Face posted:

OOOOH! You really Got My Goat!

Good, I can actually turn a profit from it.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
hes way out of your league man he makes a deece 6 figgies and hes not a teenager.

hes got the investment racket by the balls and he knows how things really work. You should thank him for laying it down for us

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i'm gonna buy a house soon, then pay it off and when i retire, sell it, move to a condo in the city and live my twilight years off the money i got from the house

that money, which should be like 500k or more with my state pension should be enough

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Instead of investing in stocks and bonds y'all should be like me and just invest in People man. They are whats truly important.

You can ship in a few dozen per shipping container at great rates.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

And another thread gets Ron Mexicoed!

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
If you look at investments as specialized bank accounts with occasional restrictions then a lot of things become clear.

Lol @ all the idiots making GBS threads on treasury bonds. If those go away you might as well shut off your plumbing too.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
you seem salty q face. maybe go to your nearest bank and talk to their financial planner? Its usually free.

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?
Getting derailed arguing about who is the slickest investor is EXACTLY what I expect of the baby boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open container
Sep 16, 2008
As a millenial, I have no idea how to invest because I have never had any money.

• Locked thread