Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open container
Sep 16, 2008
I have a liberal college professor boomer mentor. I was talking about money with him and I said how great it'll be when I get my first good job and I'll be able to pay down all my student loan debt. He told me gravely that I shouldn't be in a rush because it would probably be smarter to invest the money instead. Then I told him how high the interest rates were and he became visibly angry. (Not at me, at his generation.) I only have loans through federal and state programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

open container posted:

I have a liberal college professor boomer mentor. I was talking about money with him and I said how great it'll be when I get my first good job and I'll be able to pay down all my student loan debt. He told me gravely that I shouldn't be in a rush because it would probably be smarter to invest the money instead. Then I told him how high the interest rates were and he became visibly angry. (Not at me, at his generation.) I only have loans through federal and state programs.

I don't know how the rules have changed over the last 8 years or so, but my loans came due in June 2007, and after about a year of making on-time payments, my interest rate dropped. And every year that I continued to make on-time payments, it continued to drop. I got to the point after a few years, with a whopping 0.33% interest rate on my Stafford loans, where it actually was smarter to invest the money instead. My Checking Account's interest rate was higher than that (.45% or so), so I actually would have lost money by paying them off any earlier.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

you seem salty q face. maybe go to your nearest bank and talk to their financial planner? Its usually free.

Not salty, not in need of financial planning assistance, just annoyed by the "Anyone can be a millionaire with just a small % of their money" BS. As long as interest rates remain low, No, they can't. But that idea (that things don't cost what they used to, and interest rates aren't what they used to be) is lost on Boomers.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

"Your goal in life should be to work at a job you hate for forty years! It's not work if you like your job!"

"You're just too lazy to wash dishes!"

"You could get a job at Mc Donalds. That'll be enough to support you!"

And the ever present "pounding the pavement".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Whole Internet posted:

My parents were pretty cool and chill, and I grew up well-adjusted and don't resent them at all. But I was unemployed and living with them for a year out of college (graduated in 2010), and my dad gave me some grief for it. Gave me advice for getting a job that wasn't much help.

And then he lost his job, and spent two years unemployed!

My mom's husband is like this. Motherfucker's been unemployed for about eight years now because he's too good to take a $10/hr while my mom works a minimum wage job in retail after getting pressured out of her office job. When I lived with them, I'd have to mow the lawn with the push mower because he didn't trusted me with his riding mower. And he called me lazy when all I've seen him do was watch TV all day while I worked on finding a job or go out and look for work.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

There is always work in the salt mines if you can start at the bottom.

As there is a Morton Salt operation near where we lived, my brother-in-law's wife gave me this suggestion about ten years ago in complete sincerity.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
You should really look at getting your own house to cut that rent cost of yours. I already had my first house when I was your age you know.

Thanks for driving me to the airport by the way, I will speak to you again after me and your mum have enjoyed our 4 week get away in Turkey.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Start in the mailroom and work your way up.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
"just walk in, ask to see the boss and ask him for an interview. once he meets you they'll probably hire you on the spot. if you did this for a solid 2 weeks straight i GUARANTEE you'd have a job by the end of it."

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Why don't you try [tangentially related job that is not entry-level]?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
"If you'd just apply yourself..."

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Applewhite posted:

*walks into a small company mailroom, there are 18 people per square foot all hired and working their way up the corporate ladder*

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Applewhite posted:

What is a mailroom, anyway? Like, where the post office delivers mail to a company and then clerks sort it out and deliver it within the building?

Do those still exist?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

That'll be the case for most college people who save even a small % of their money dude. Compound interest and long term investments is a hell of a thing.

Maybe dont call millions of people 'stupid and/or shitheads' when you are completely ignorant of something people learn in high school algebra.
savings and compound interest as learned in basic high school algebra

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
so what we're learnign here is that you guys got a bunch of good advice but still failed, right? Yes there are still mailrooms jesus christ

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
There's still wheelbarrows and candles too

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

guess i should have just tried to get work at that salt mine then, would've built character i guess?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

sexy young infidel posted:

are the mailrooms used by bored white women to make their suburban hell even slightly more appealing?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i interned for free in 8 different mail rooms for 5 months and 3 weeks each before getting laid off every time
my paying job is capped at 25 hours a week because its cheaper to hire guys as year-round non-benefited "seasonal" workers and i have to take 8 busses to get there
the only good-paying job ive ever had was working in the appalachian turd mines and i had to quit because i was getting turd lung

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sexy young infidel posted:

Liar, next you'll be telling me there are skilled labor jobs available!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

i interned for free in 8 different mail rooms for 5 months and 3 weeks each before getting laid off every time
my paying job is capped at 25 hours a week because its cheaper to hire guys as year-round non-benefited "seasonal" workers and i have to take 8 busses to get there
the only good-paying job ive ever had was working in the appalachian turd mines and i had to quit because i was getting turd lung

Lol if all you did while in the mailroom was deliver mail. You're supposed to make friends and kiss asses while you're on delivery runs. Keep your ears open for opportunities. If people like having you around they tell you about job openings further up the chain.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

Lol if all you did while in the mailroom was deliver mail. You're supposed to make friends and kiss asses while you're on delivery runs. Keep your ears open for opportunities. If people like having you around they tell you about job openings further up the chain.

That Michael J Fox movie was great. :)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BigBoss posted:

That Michael J Fox movie was great. :)

Dunno what movie you're talking about. I was thinking of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and, to a lesser extent, Monsters University.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im a self-made libertarian breaking and entering artist specializing in gold coin mergers and acquisitions

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure this is nothing to do with the economy or boomers the market has simply correctly assessed your value through consensus

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ive lowered my sights to working my way up from jizz room mop attendant
ill get that raise when they see the pride i take in my work

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

glowing-fish posted:

What is a mailroom, anyway? Like, where the post office delivers mail to a company and then clerks sort it out and deliver it within the building?

Do those still exist?

That is exactly what is it and yes they still exist.

A friend of mine had a job in a mailroom and he quit that poo poo in like two weeks. Now he gets paid $17.50 an hour to play video games so I'd say it was a pretty good move.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I will never not lol at the people who do lovely faceless menial jobs for free on the theory that if they show enough willingness to toady for nothing it will motivate someone to pay them to toady

glowing-fish posted:

Do those still exist?

unless you work for Facebook or one of those other soul-crushing offices with open cubicles and beer nights in place of a retirement plan then your company still runs 90% on paper, and it goes through the mailroom

It may also be where they keep the well-used fax machine

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 23, 2015

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Chomp8645 posted:

A friend of mine had a job in a mailroom and he quit that poo poo in like two weeks. Now he gets paid $17.50 an hour to play video games so I'd say it was a pretty good move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If you live like a bitch you're gonna die like a bitch.

All that bitches do is bitch.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

'Get an English degree, a liberal education will broaden your mind and teach you how to learn, then you'll have time to develop salable skills later!'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

He's not a game tester. He's part of a private security detail for an extremely wealthy individual. Let's just say than in this case I think the gentleman hired too much staff for too little work because one of them is playing video games with me every night while on the clock.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

'Get an English degree, a liberal education will broaden your mind and teach you how to learn, then you'll have time to develop salable skills later!'
i recognize this advice from all the liberals ive heard repeat it over the years
those many times

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i recognize this advice from all the liberals ive heard repeat it over the years
those many times

literally everyone over 40, ages 10-19

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
yeah

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
itt people who have yet to come to terms with the economic hellscape that the west is becoming

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
"If you can't get a good enough job to feed and house yourself there must be something wrong with you, and you deserve to starve and die homeless. Lazy fuckers don't deserve to live."

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
unemployed ppl should just move to where the work is. looks like you're useless to the 1st world, we can't all reap the benefits of cheap labour.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm in a pretty good spot now - no debt, a decent-paying job, and a growing diversified retirement plan - but the boomer obliviousness to today's student loan debt and tuition costs still pisses me off. Most of them, if they needed a college degree for gainful employment at all, relied on Pell grants or their in-state tuition was probably $1000 tops in today's dollars. It's virtually impossible for college grads to save now right out of college, even if they luck out with a good job. Even when you're aggressive about paying off loans, it takes years.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TwoQuestions posted:

"If you can't get a good enough job to feed and house yourself there must be something wrong with you, and you deserve to starve and die homeless. Lazy fuckers don't deserve to live."

Well when talking to goons it's not hard to form this opinion by reading e/N.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm in a pretty good spot now - no debt, a decent-paying job, and a growing diversified retirement plan - but the boomer obliviousness to today's student loan debt and tuition costs still pisses me off. Most of them, if they needed a college degree for gainful employment at all, relied on Pell grants or their in-state tuition was probably $1000 tops in today's dollars. It's virtually impossible for college grads to save now right out of college, even if they luck out with a good job. Even when you're aggressive about paying off loans, it takes years.

it's a big hoax, same as your healthcare. you're all stupid

• Locked thread