Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

My Q-Face posted:

http://www.investor.gov/tools/calculators/compound-interest-calculator

http://www.census.gov/prod/2013pubs/acsbr12-02.pdf (Average US income is 51,371, about 8,630 less than what I got from my first google)

I could do a yearly breakdown, but as we had that recession 7 years ago, and Greenspan's obsessive cutting of Interest Rates for almost 20 years before that, I think we can safely conclude that Interest Rates decline over time, so picking the current high and going with that is probably a conservative bet.

My Great Aunt bought me a $25.00 Savings Bond when I was born in 1975. It had 7% interest and matured in 7 years. (I cashed it out at 16 and made $75 on it) Today you could buy a comparable Savings Bond for $25.00 and it will have a 00.10% interest rate.

To put it another way, Interest Rates have been slashed to disincentivize savings and to keep the poors poor, because when poors save their money, they're not spending it and making the rich richer economy grow.

The compound interest BS you were taught as a kid doesn't work with low interest rates, it's a Big Numbers (Ooh, Millions!!!) jazz hands distraction to reinforce the "Just World - Americans Can All Succeed If Only They Try Hard Enough!" myth.

Before Greenspan and the Ayn Rand/Reaganite Economists took over, it did work because you could find savings accounts with 5+% interest rates and you could find Savings Bonds with 7-10% interest.

Hell, before George W. Bush came out and said they were useless in 2001, ten year Treasury Notes were pulling 6-7% interest. Now they're pulling 2%, Maybe, and people CHEER when the Fed slashes interest rates.

In essence, that's what this whole thread is about! "The Stuff you Boomers were taught as kids doesn't work anymore because you hosed up and continue to gently caress up the world!"

bring back lf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
set the interest rate to 100% compounded monthly :monocle:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
"you should focus on getting into grad school or try getting a second bachelors because we don't approve of your degree."

hahaha gently caress no

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
What was that sonny? My ears don't hear so good any more. Did you say I'm pray?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm in a pretty good spot now - no debt, a decent-paying job, and a growing diversified retirement plan - but the boomer obliviousness to today's student loan debt and tuition costs still pisses me off. Most of them, if they needed a college degree for gainful employment at all, relied on Pell grants or their in-state tuition was probably $1000 tops in today's dollars. It's virtually impossible for college grads to save now right out of college, even if they luck out with a good job. Even when you're aggressive about paying off loans, it takes years.

"Don't you disagree with me! I've been there! I did it all myself and came through in the end. These graduates are just getting worthless degrees and have no marketable skills. And don't get me started on all the visible tattoos that just scream, I make bad decisions. They're unhirable, not like me!"

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

You should really look at getting your own house to cut that rent cost of yours. I already had my first house when I was your age you know.

Thanks for driving me to the airport by the way, I will speak to you again after me and your mum have enjoyed our 4 week get away in Turkey.

i hope they get killed by isis

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kitchner posted:

You should really look at getting your own house to cut that rent cost of yours. I already had my first house when I was your age you know.

It's an investment I'll be able to retire from the appreciation on this water-damaged split level

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I've been hearing a lot of talk on the news about home invasion roberies. Have you tried doing that?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You don't try hard enough to get hired, you have to have passion and drive to go after something and see it through regardless of the consequences.

So you are still mowing my lawn this weekend right? Mower is right where you left it last time. Also, your mother needs help with her computer and I want you to take me to my doctors appointment at 2 pm on Tuesday. What do you mean you work? I thought you couldn't find a good job? Well, just take me to my appointment, they won't care. It's on the other side of town and it'll be at least two hours there and I'll need you to cook us dinner afterwards.

What? Don't you love us anymore?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress. I've spent so many years freaking out about dropping out of college because I was miserable and aimless so that I could work for the government.
It's not glamorous work but it's easy, I get paid more than I may be worth and we only have to deal with furlough when congress throws a tantrum or someone unplugs the fax.

Most of my friends have bachelor's/professional degrees and barely keep their head above water with all their debt. I only know one person doing what they went to school for and he's a teacher in some po-dunk town because that's literally the only school hiring full-time.

I have no debt, I'm not very smart and I have (rent) a house that's too big just because I can.
So... American dream?

Growing up, my mom would never shut up about the importance of a college degree yet she's never had a real job. She forced my brother to pay a ton of money for a journalism degree and he's been a bartender forever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kinda wonder how this generation's mature, worldly life advice is gonna wind up out-of-touch and ridiculous in a few decades

Daaad I don't need to send out 400 resumes to get a job tilling for the baron, if you send out that many messages at once the Reaper drones mark you as a terror cell commander!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

glowing-fish posted:

"Sometimes you just gotta keep pounding the pavement!"

God this. I keep hearing variations of this.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Go to PYF and you can see a bunch of goons with too much disposable income buying really stupid crap so what is the promblem??

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Kinda wonder how this generation's mature, worldly life advice is gonna wind up out-of-touch and ridiculous in a few decades

Daaad I don't need to send out 400 resumes to get a job tilling for the baron, if you send out that many messages at once the Reaper drones mark you as a terror cell commander!

I guarantee you none of the people who believe things like that or how investing for retirement is a scam will reproduce.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I guarantee you none of the people who believe things like that or how investing for retirement is a scam will reproduce.

Poor people have kids like all the loving time dude, there's not much else to do when you're broke

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I just find it hard to believe they can figure out rod A into slot B.

I mean there was a dude who said interest rates for treasury bonds are low therefore its impossible to save/invest for retirement for fucks sakes.
Its not really practical to ride a unicycle to work therefore its impossible for me to get to work.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

In case it wasn't made clear by my flippant response I don't actually care about whatever home economics poo poo you're raging out about

I was just trying to be polite dude, but no

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
I just want people to be non suicidal and happy

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

my retirement plan's to save up enough to buy a plane ticket to one of those countries with kinda nice prisons like Sweden and knock over a convenience store

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Its not really practical to ride a unicycle to work therefore its impossible for me to get to work.

Welcome to Portland!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"A few days after submitting your resume, go into the office and hand a letter of appreciation to the hiring manager. It'll keep your resume fresh in their mind and show initiative."

I was naive/desperate enough to try this one.

resume writing services offer to write thank you notes for interviews. i think it's weird.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

"Stop sitting on your rear end playing Playstation 8 all day! My $80 social security check came in today and I want to play the new Metal Gear Solid!"

I don't understand why anyone would want to raise a kid now when their kid's life is all but guaranteed to be shittier in nearly every respect than their life was.

Bored posted:

resume writing services offer to write thank you notes for interviews. i think it's weird.

No lie, when I was unemployed I spent a precious $100 on a goon-run resume writing service and got a lot more interviews. Although, good, old fashioned nepotism got my foot in the door at my current job.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 24, 2015

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't understand why anyone would want to raise a kid now when their kid's life is all but guaranteed to be shittier in nearly every respect than their life was.

lol go talk to someone

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"Stop sitting on your rear end playing Playstation 8 all day! My $80 social security check came in today and I want to play the new Metal Gear Solid!"

cos people woulda died out somewhere between knuckle-walking and persistence hunting if folks didn't, get a shrink or a bottle whatever's the shortest path to some perspective you whiny bougie baby

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ill rent until im dead

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn26pEDEhyY

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 24, 2015

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Ivor Biggun posted:

What was that sonny? My ears don't hear so good any more. Did you say I'm pray?

"Can you repeat that?....Oh! Yes I have gone grey. Just a hazard of growing old I'm afraid."

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

I mean there was a dude who said interest rates for treasury bonds are low therefore its impossible to save/invest for retirement for fucks sakes.
i like how youve gradually spun it from you posting about how saving with compound interest is such an easy to understand and effective long-term retirement plan if you just keep at it and got shot down for that to you having been advocating a non-specific (i guess "good" is as specific as youve gotten) investment plan and got attacked by someone saying the concept of investment is a scam

it took all day but you got there

personally im going to use that hot tip you gave about investing in gold some time between now and 50 years ago

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Get some mutual funds you knuckleheads.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"I'm sorry, everything's so different now. After I left my job I had for 35 years I took an entry-level one and they made us sing a song and fired me after I cut my hand on some metal grating. My parents retired and collected SS at 55, I think the minimum is 70 now? Just keep learning, I know that much."

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

gary oldmans diary posted:

i like how youve gradually spun it from you posting about how saving with compound interest is such an easy to understand and effective long-term retirement plan if you just keep at it and got shot down for that to you having been advocating a non-specific (i guess "good" is as specific as youve gotten) investment plan and got attacked by someone saying the concept of investment is a scam

it took all day but you got there

personally im going to use that hot tip you gave about investing in gold some time between now and 50 years ago

It is though. That guy just thinks you are supposed to buy treasury bonds and was whining that the interest rate didnt make 1 million dollars therefore investing is a scam. When no one actually does that or should do that.

this is it vvv pretty simple. If thats too complicated talk to your retirement guy or go to a bank and talk to a planner. If you have a college degree and a job you'll have one million by retirement easy which was the enitre basis of this conversation.

Arian_Samurai posted:

Get some mutual funds you knuckleheads.

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 24, 2015

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
just become a criminal

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Stoic Commie posted:

just become a white collar criminal

Fixed.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
lmao if you think a million dollars will get you anything in 30-40 years

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
poo on ur butt

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How I met your mother has set unrealistic expectations

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

OMFG FURRY posted:

I get your point...

I just ran a 55k salary, without raises, adjusted for 5% inflation annually for 30 years. Roughly 250K per year.

Which is why so many investment people say savings accounts are totally worthless. At the same point, entities need operating capital for all the major and minor scrapes and such that... WHAT IN THE BLUE gently caress AM I DOING?!?!

"Oh still posting on that internet forum son? Not out there making us grand kids and buying a house? Get a job you hippy!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OMFG FURRY posted:

it's kind of dick for savings now, if you need multiple years of medical treatment or assisted living like old folks do and aren't planning to blow it all on one hell of a six-month vacation before topping yourself

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

It is though. That guy just thinks you are supposed to buy treasury bonds and was whining that the interest rate didnt make 1 million dollars therefore investing is a scam. When no one actually does that or should do that.

this is it vvv pretty simple. If thats too complicated talk to your retirement guy or go to a bank and talk to a planner. If you have a college degree and a job you'll have one million by retirement easy which was the enitre basis of this conversation.
you approached a conversation about retiring a millionaire sticking up for the validity of saving with compound interest as a plan for someone to start building a retirement fund
good god man just learn to blow off your mistakes instead of digging in youve got like a dozen posts changing what you said and another dozen about how you totally didnt really lose an internet argument
if that matters at all then not bringing it up would be more effective and a new avatar should be a higher concern anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

gary oldmans diary posted:

you approached a conversation about retiring a millionaire sticking up for the validity of saving with compound interest as a plan for someone to start building a retirement fund
good god man just learn to blow off your mistakes instead of digging in youve got like a dozen posts changing what you said and another dozen about how you totally didnt really lose an internet argument
if that matters at all then a new avatar should be a higher concern

oh word thats what happened?

• Locked thread