Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Bregor posted:

Her parents are split so I just asked for her mom's blessing. I knew what she'd say and my wife appreciated it.
Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

My father in law is dead so I thought I'd get out of this
Same but then I had to deal with step-father in law!!! :pusheen:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
My wife's dad is an old school type so yeah I did. Didn't hurt me at all and her parents love me more than their real sons.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

No, but i wish that i had because her dad would've said no

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Frostwerks posted:

thats not how you do dowry. dowry is what you are owed for taking their property off their hands

Its called brideprice ands honestly makes a lot more sense than dowry

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
no my wife is an adult

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

My dad is pretty old fashioned but he would still think this is really loving weird.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

No, because I wasn't buying her. Also no because I don't think I could make it through the conversation without him knowing I don't take him seriously.

I tried my best to maintain my composure when he gave me the "she's my daughter and if you hurt her.." speech at my wedding but I started laughing.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Never even knew it was a thing until relatively recently. Bizarre as gently caress. Most marriage ritual is bizarre as gently caress and it seems like I learn all kinds of things I was "supposed" to have done but never even knew it was a thing.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yeah no i just asked her to marry me and she was like yeah totally and then we told her parents who are super cool and they were like "oh nice, we were wondering when you guys would get around to it" and then they paid for most of our wedding

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

no op i did not and why the hell should i
his daughter and i can make our own decisions, and he is not in any way a respectable man

he has yet to meet his two-and-a-half-year-old granddaughter because he is a petty, self-centered bigot of a prick

why yes i am mad why d'you ask

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Also yeah, and what if he says no? Does it matter? Not really.

If anyone finds the Purity rings and Purity Balls creepy but not the whole "ask the father permission to marry" thing creepy they're dumb.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 22, 2015

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Candiru posted:

Never even knew it was a thing until relatively recently. Bizarre as gently caress. Most marriage ritual is bizarre as gently caress and it seems like I learn all kinds of things I was "supposed" to have done but never even knew it was a thing.

Did you spend most of your life bumping your helmet against a wall because this poo poo is absolutely 100% common knowledge as you can see by this thread and anything else on the subject

What other perfectly normal and widely referenced marriage customs that come up in every movie, sitcom, novel and conversation about marriage are you saying you didn't know about

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
We kind of had a kid before marriage so all traditions were thrown out the window.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001
No because I respect women.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Tujague posted:

Did you spend most of your life bumping your helmet against a wall because this poo poo is absolutely 100% common knowledge as you can see by this thread and anything else on the subject

What other perfectly normal and widely referenced marriage customs that come up in every movie, sitcom, novel and conversation about marriage are you saying you didn't know about

Are you Iranian? Don't forget to show everyone your sheets after your honeymoon, weirdo.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 22, 2015

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Candiru posted:

Are you Iranian?

Yes, me and every other poster in this thread who isn't pretending not to have heard about this wedding custom is Iranian

You're edgy and awesome and we're Iranian

You figured it out

You loving retard

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes, and it was extremely awkward and uncomfortable

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Welcome to America, where no one does this or learns this poo poo outside of some really backwards parts like the south or rural Illinois.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Captain Candiru posted:

Welcome to America, where no one does this or learns this poo poo outside of some really backwards parts like the south or rural Illinois.

Uh I think it's pretty stupid but this is not true. There's probably not one person I know that hasn't heard of this custom.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Go back to Canada you fuckshit. We don't need Sharia law here.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Candiru posted:

Once again, the only person who claims not to have ever heard of this quaint old custom that is widely discussed in every cultural medium on the topic is you

Read the thread again until it sinks in

Everyone else has heard about it an is making jokes about it in a way that shows familiarity through cultural context

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Captain Candiru posted:

It's pretty common knowledge.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I guess Al Quaida won.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pon de Bundy posted:

uhh im muslim so yes you have to loving ask, not only do you have to ask, you have to pay a dowry based on:

1. how hot she is now, and how hot she is likely to be in the future. 2. her career and how much money she is likely to make. 3. her dads status in the community and how good her family is

so if shes a skank you can expect to pay very little, an average woman 5-10,000 dollars, and more depending on who she is.

i.e. if amal alamuddin were muslim, easily 100k plus dowry.

atheists have it too ez

And thus ends Pon de Bundy's mulsim gimmick

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013
yeah, you're kinda hosed Captain Candiru

Fusilli Jerry
Dec 13, 2013

ASSMAN

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

i'm married to the game, human being

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_pqnw_-25o

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

We kind of had a kid before marriage so all traditions were thrown out the window.

Outside of imaginary diamond marketing bullshit that's actually v traditional.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Outside of imaginary diamond marketing bullshit that's actually v traditional.

Diamonds? I'm so cool I never even HEARD of diamonds until like a week ago oh well gently caress it I'm a badass and that poo poo must be for Cambodians

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
It was funnier when I did it. You're starting to sound legit angry. Go on a hike or pray to Allah or whatever.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Lmao at marrying women instead of just loving dudes.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

You can do both u know

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Candiru posted:

It was funnier when I did it. You're starting to sound legit angry. Go on a hike or pray to Allah or whatever.

Funnier? So it was a joke when you said this:

Captain Candiru posted:

??????

Where is the funny joke part? Because it sort of seems like both of these posts are bullshit and you have a teensy-weensy compulsive lying problem

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tujague posted:

Once again, the only person who claims not to have ever heard of this quaint old custom that is widely discussed in every cultural medium on the topic is you

Everyone else has heard about it an is making jokes about it in a way that shows familiarity through cultural context

read his rap sheet until you understand why he probably didnt read the thread at all

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh, snap. I guess the "joke" is on me.

Edit: I don't have kids or autistic relatives or anything so pathological childish bullshit kind of sticks out to me

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

loving lol you dont even know what a dowry is

this fukkin goon has been avoiding getting married all along thinking hes the one who has to pay the dowry lmbo

2 many idiots 2 quote but this isn't a gimmick, are you all retarded?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahr

how stupid can you all be, you dont know anything about islam. the man pays for the woman, its NEVER the other way around.

dowry is the wrong word, it should be bride price. whatev english not my first language

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
despite the fact that CC is trolling i would like to let all Persian women know that they are welcome in the US at any time

also did not ask permission, possibly because I'd already slept over multiple times when she lived at home so i was like, how could it possibly be less morally acceptable to not ask

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 22, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tujague posted:

Diamonds? I'm so cool I never even HEARD of diamonds until like a week ago oh well gently caress it I'm a badass and that poo poo must be for Cambodians

Well it is a tradition completely made up by DeBeers to inflate the perceived value of diamonds, which at the time weren't considered all that great.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Tujague posted:

Where is the funny joke part? Because it sort of seems like both of these posts are bullshit and you have a teensy-weensy compulsive lying problem

Liars in GBS!?! HOLY poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Captain Candiru posted:

Liars in GBS!?! HOLY poo poo.

I dunno I mean people might be fibbing about being married or engaged or telling stories about imaginary in-laws for comedy purposes in this thread but I don't think that's the same as you telling insecurity-fueled kiddie-pool porky pies about how you never heard of this thing and don't give a gently caress about it.

I mean, it was the specific quality of "due to my autism I have no clue what real human beings find credible, I guess I'll haul off with something that makes me sound cool" retarded bullshit in your posting that really caught my attention like a big red flashing light, and trying to pass it off as 'lol I was joking' was even worse.

Thanks for at least getting around to admitting it, though. Just, you know, in the future, remember you ain't got to lie to kick it plus you actually suck at it.

Tujague fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 22, 2015

• Locked thread