Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Captain Candiru posted:

Liars in GBS!?! HOLY poo poo.

just stop dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

No. I don't need to "ask for permission" to take a bride.

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Tujague posted:

Oh, snap. I guess the "joke" is on me.

Edit: I don't have kids or autistic relatives or anything so pathological childish bullshit kind of sticks out to me

ur the only child in the thread, autistic duder

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
so much anger in this thread about love :(

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Lmao no.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
I cuck the dad hope this helps

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

Pon de Bundy posted:

2 many idiots 2 quote but this isn't a gimmick, are you all retarded?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahr

how stupid can you all be, you dont know anything about islam. the man pays for the woman, its NEVER the other way around.

dowry is the wrong word, it should be bride price. whatev english not my first language

lol you didnt even know the word for your own tradition

you are a p good muslim

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
pondebundy as a muslim could you explain how it works: a woman becomes a mans property after marriage(as is right and good in all marriages in all religions) but the brideprice is paid to the wife and becomes her property, not her families? at least thats what the link you posted says, so once you marry her the money is yours again and it doesnt matter at all? sounds like a real trial man, you have to give your wife a fake wedding gift and then take it back right after the wedding night lol

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't need to explain poo poo. I've been robbin' mother fuckers since the slave ships, with the same clip, and the same .45. Two point blank, a mother fucker sure to die.

Also I'm pretty sure he would have laughed at me and suggested I would be happier marrying a man.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol if you're not on great terms with your in-laws going all the way back to when you first started dating

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Robo Reagan posted:

lol if you're not on great terms with your in-laws going all the way back to when you first started dating

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my moms in law is a great lady but pops in law is a terrible drunk whos mind is half demented from chronic alcoholism and he thinks its 1996 so i didnt have to worry too much

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

pondebundy as a muslim could you explain how it works: a woman becomes a mans property after marriage(as is right and good in all marriages in all religions) but the brideprice is paid to the wife and becomes her property, not her families? at least thats what the link you posted says, so once you marry her the money is yours again and it doesnt matter at all? sounds like a real trial man, you have to give your wife a fake wedding gift and then take it back right after the wedding night lol

basically it's their so if you get a divorce , it goes to her as a form of insurance because she's now been married and it'll be hard for her to get remarried . so you usually buy gold and it's kept by her family and then given to her if there is a divorce . That's super old school , usually you just have to buy a bunch of stuff for her now.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
No because my father in law is a loving rear end in a top hat, and even if he said no I'd say "tough poo poo anyway then" and we'd still have gotten married.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Once again, the only person who claims not to have ever heard of this quaint old custom that is widely discussed in every cultural medium on the topic is you

Read the thread again until it sinks in

Everyone else has heard about it an is making jokes about it in a way that shows familiarity through cultural context

Read the thread again until it sinks in

shut the gently caress up

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013

Pon de Bundy posted:

uhh im muslim so yes you have to loving ask, not only do you have to ask, you have to pay a dowry based on:

1. how hot she is now, and how hot she is likely to be in the future. 2. her career and how much money she is likely to make. 3. her dads status in the community and how good her family is

so if shes a skank you can expect to pay very little, an average woman 5-10,000 dollars, and more depending on who she is.

i.e. if amal alamuddin were muslim, easily 100k plus dowry.

atheists have it too ez

Do you have a price list handy? I know there is a price list. Just like for cars. But the price list for cars is for used cars soo.... Do you save money if you pay up with straight cash or i guess gold is worth more? And what about camels. Camels are expensive.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Tujague posted:

I dunno I mean people might be fibbing about being married or engaged or telling stories about imaginary in-laws for comedy purposes in this thread but I don't think that's the same as you telling insecurity-fueled kiddie-pool porky pies about how you never heard of this thing and don't give a gently caress about it.

I mean, it was the specific quality of "due to my autism I have no clue what real human beings find credible, I guess I'll haul off with something that makes me sound cool" retarded bullshit in your posting that really caught my attention like a big red flashing light, and trying to pass it off as 'lol I was joking' was even worse.

Thanks for at least getting around to admitting it, though. Just, you know, in the future, remember you ain't got to lie to kick it plus you actually suck at it.

wow you're 100x more annoying than that other human being

:getout:

Wizzle
Jun 7, 2004

Most
Parochial
Poster

I asked.

I took him to lunch. I think he was a little surprised that I would ask but it was really great to have his blessing. He said she's never been happier. It made her really happy too, even though it's somewhat out of style now. I highly recommend it. It lets the important people in her life know that you're serious.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
This thread rocks

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FunkyFlashman posted:

Do you have a price list handy? I know there is a price list. Just like for cars. But the price list for cars is for used cars soo.... Do you save money if you pay up with straight cash or i guess gold is worth more? And what about camels. Camels are expensive.

it depends on her family and how traditional they are. 10k is the norm. it's why in muslim countries a lot of single guys are very angry because they can't have sex without a very expensive wedding /muhr

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Didn't ask, seems sort of offensive to my wife. She's an adult, not a child or property.

never seen again
Jan 25, 2008
no because he's dead

mom's cool though

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
I didn't ask because her dad is a deadbeat and it is none of her step-dad or mother's business because like many others have said, we are adults.

My father really pissed me off when he found out about my sister getting engaged. He phoned her up to raise poo poo about how her fiance didn't ask for his permission and he said to her "I know that Mettleramiel had the decency and common courtesy to ask his wife's step-dad first."

Fun fact: we have been together since we were teenagers and got married after something like 15 years. That was three years ago and everyone in my family knows but noone on her side does because we eloped and my wife didn't want to hurt her mom's feelings.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
blessing and permission are very different of course

like yeah permission is kind of antiquated and misogynistic cuz it treats women as property but blessing is basically asking your dad in law "yo are you cool w me marrying your daughter?" where like you're still going to do it regardless of what he says but you are tactfully acknowledging that it would be better overall if he liked you and the fact that you are marrying his daughter

like if your prospective in laws are terrible assholes and/or pieces of human poo poo then yeah no reason to give a gently caress about what they think of your marriage, but if they are good people it seems polite and wise to get some sort of official approval of your joining their family and marrying their daughter

this honestly should apply to women as well.

in fact it should be a new tradition that both parties have a sit down chat with their prospective in-laws prior to an engagement although this is easier for men to do because in western culture men usually propose marriage, not women, so

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Robo Reagan posted:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I've been prepping to ask. I know I have to- he's very traditional and kind of insane so it's better to include him and not make a stir.. But, for a short man he is extremely intimidating.

He is a born North Korean who escaped to the south by himself as an adolescent, went to university and eventually became a successful physicist in the United States. Talking to him about marrying his only daughter is going to be really important to him, he knows it's coming soon, and I just hope he isn't armed when it finally happens.

He's smart, sociopathic, and has a huge ego due to his incredible success against odds and meanwhile I'm just some middle class white dude.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 23, 2015

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin
I had it in reverse. Father in law invited now-wife and me to dinner, then in the middle of eating drops "so you've been dating my daughter for two years. That seems like it should be long enough for you to decide if you're going to marry her. You are going to marry her' right?"

KiddieGrinder posted:

No because my father in law is a loving rear end in a top hat, and even if he said no I'd say "tough poo poo anyway then" and we'd still have gotten married.

Why he gotta be so rude

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
havent tied the knot but i will def not ask for his permission when and if i do, cos why the hell would she need her dads approval? retarded and dated concept congrats op. what if he'd said no? would you have broken up like a pussy and let someone dictate what you or your wife can do?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zippy the Bummer posted:

like yeah permission is kind of antiquated and misogynistic cuz it treats women as property but blessing is basically asking your dad in law "yo are you cool w me marrying your daughter?" where like you're still going to do it regardless of what he says but you are tactfully acknowledging that it would be better overall if he liked you and the fact that you are marrying his daughter

like if your prospective in laws are terrible assholes and/or pieces of human poo poo then yeah no reason to give a gently caress about what they think of your marriage, but if they are good people it seems polite and wise to get some sort of official approval of your joining their family and marrying their daughter
It's always a good idea to consider the interests of key stakeholders before making a major life-changing decision.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
No I didn't. I asked my wife and she said yes and that was the entirety of the transaction.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Zippy the Bummer posted:

this honestly should apply to women as well.

in fact it should be a new tradition that both parties have a sit down chat with their prospective in-laws prior to an engagement although this is easier for men to do because in western culture men usually propose marriage, not women, so

nah man it's a bullshit tradition, a relic of the past that needs to die. ppl won't ask the mother in law b/v it's a chauvinistic bromance thing.

and honestly i couldn't care less about asking anyone permission to do anything. naturally you're gonna tell the in laws you've decided to get married and they can say their mind then, but why the hell should there be a talk before you've decided to do it?

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 23, 2015

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Yeah I asked for his blessing to marry his daughter. It scored me major points since he is old school. Let me drive his souped up 1955 chevy apache after the wedding reception. Just need to become a big game hunter to be in his will to get his classic car collection.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

we were engaged before meeting the folks. her dad probably would have made fun of me for the rest of his life if i had asked, he's a cool guy. moms a total piece of idiot garbage but they're divorced so its all good.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

She asked me

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Korranus posted:

She asked me

did she ask your mother's blessing?

pod6isjerks fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 23, 2015

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

good day sir. here is a quarter oz of some stinky kush and a cooler of freshly caught trout. I would like your blessing to make your curvy gamer daughter my curvy gamer wife

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if muslim girl has been divorced she moves back in with her parents , then her dad is more than happy to give her away. divorced muslim chick =so e z even a goon could do it .

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
People asked permission in the past because they were children.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Zippy the Bummer posted:

That sounds terrible, tbh, unless you're in the tiny minority of people who have good in-laws on both sides of the family. Easier and better to just do away with a tradition that fits very poorly in a modern society, instead of trying to awkwardly make it less sexist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I informed him I was going to ask from the perspective that he's been married to her mom for 35 years and I was seeking insights on what makes a marriage work, seeing if he had any advice or encouragement. Thought it might be a nice moment since we got along well.

He was super super awkward about it and didn't even really look up from his fantasy football website.

Then he didn't tell her mom about it and she got mega butt hurt that we posted our engagement news to Facebook at 11pm (1 am for them) instead of calling her first. what a disaster.

• Locked thread