Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
Starting yesterday, our Welsh Corgi (about 6 years old) starting throwing up. There is nothing in it but bile. He will drink water, and no more than 30 minutes later throw it all up. We took the water away to give his stomach a chance to settle. We'll give him a little bit every so often, but he throws it up without fail. When we let him outside, all he does is try to eat snow and then will come in and throw it up.

We can't find anything in the house that he could have gotten into, or eaten. The only thing I can think of is if he found something outside, but I don't know what, because we have a foot of snow covering everything.

Any advice? Taking him into the vet tomorrow for sure, but looking for anything that might help. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
If there is an emergency vet in your area, I would go there today.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

What Crooked Booty said. Go to a vet. If there is not an emergency vet, look around locally on google. There is almost always someone who will open their doors for emergencies and they usually have an emergency line. You need a vet now. Not tomorrow.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Vet. Now. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 22, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Vet. Now. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Well the vet probably will. Maybe even more.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Well the vet probably will. Maybe even more.

Yeah, evets are pricy!

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
Thank you for the push everyone.

We took him in to a 24 hour facility. They don't know what's wrong with him without doing a battery of tests. They wanted to keep him for 2 days hooked up to an IV and run tests and X-Rays. I couldn't afford the $1600 for that. :(

So the poor man's choice was to pump a bunch of fluid under the skin in his back to get absorbed and keep him hydrated, pain medication and nausea medication to get him through the night. We are to keep him from fluids and food until morning, and then try introducing a small amount of water. If he keeps it down, we were told to give him some rice and boiled chicken the size of one meatball to see if he can keep that down.

We will also be taking him to the normal vet in the morning to get the tests done at a cheaper price.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I hope the little dude makes it the night. I dunno if you're eligible, but check out carecredit too.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I hope the little dude makes it the night. I dunno if you're eligible, but check out carecredit too.

I didn't think anyone was ineligible?

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
We did apply for CareCredit but were turned down. Not that I blame them, my credit history is garbage.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Caydence posted:

We did apply for CareCredit but were turned down. Not that I blame them, my credit history is garbage.

For the future, it might be a good idea to keep a credit card that is only to be used in emergencies like this.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pixelated Dragon posted:

For the future, it might be a good idea to keep a credit card that is only to be used in emergencies like this.

If their credit is garbage and they can't get care credit, they probably will have trouble with any credit card.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Araenna posted:

If their credit is garbage and they can't get care credit, they probably will have trouble with any credit card.

It's not impossible. My credit was garbage for a while and I was still able to get a credit card during that time. It only had a 4k max but I figured it would still be enough to get me through a pinch.

Also, if the OP's credit is truly down the shitter then maybe he could look into a secured credit card. You do have to be diligent about putting money into savings with a secured credit card.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 24, 2015

catamar
May 23, 2008
How's he doing today? :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

It's not impossible. My credit was garbage for a while and I was still able to get a credit card during that time. It only had a 4k max but I figured it would still be enough to get me through a pinch.

Also, if the OP's credit is truly down the shitter then maybe he could look into a secured credit card. You do have to be diligent about putting money into savings.

Don't tell people with bad credit that This Wouldn't Have Happened If You Only Had A Credit Card because it's as retarded as the "this wouldn't have happened if you only had a gun!" insanity that used to happen in GBS and now runs around all over reddit and stuff.

catamar posted:

How's he doing today? :ohdear:

This.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Yeah, I'm really sorry. Pointing that out here was in poor form because it's the last thing the OP wants to hear right now. I really wasn't trying to be condescending and lectureish about it, I was just trying to throw out a couple options in case poo poo hits the fan again in the future.

Anyway, OP, I hope your dog recovers, please keep us posted!

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 23, 2015

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
After visit with his regular vet today:

Blood test revealed no problems with kidneys or pancreas.
X-Rays and Barium revealed a blockage.

He has been through surgery, where they removed a 1.5 inch piece of corn cob. It made it through his stomach and into his intestine, so the tissue around it is very tender and he is considered to be in critical condition. The doctor is going to call us again at 10pm with his current status.

We don't eat corn on the cob, so he definitely got it from outside, but not sure how it got in the yard. We don't put that up for squirrels or birds or whatever. :( Going to accompany him on his potty breaks until the snow melts and I can search the yard for stuff he might eat.

With the tests and surgery from the normal vet, it only came to $750, which is a lot better. We are hoping he does well overnight so we can pick him up tomorrow!1

Thank you all for the information and concern.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
That's good to hear they got it out and he's on the mend :)

Don't beat yourself up about where he might've gotten the corn cob, dogs find the weirdest poo poo to eat. Mine required surgery to remove a popcorn kernel that got embedded in his gumline and was pooping whole pieces of popcorn for a few days, I don't even eat popcorn and I have a fenced yard. I don't know WTF. Do go ahead and do a once-over of your yard to make sure there isn't anything else though.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I'm glad they figured him out. Dogs eat the dumbest poo poo.

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
My brother's stupid blockhead lab/pit thing ate a corncob not that long ago. He had like most of the ear in different sized chunks though. A vet tech I work with's dog got into her tack room and her 20lb dog ate over a foot of girth strap. They took 13 inch-long pieces of leather and I forget how much intestine out of him. Dogs are dumb.

Glad you took him in and he's getting taken care of!

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

The dog we had when I was growing up ate a wad of tulle for reasons only she was aware of and it got caught in her GI tract and had to be surgically removed.
Dogs.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 24, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dogs loving love corn cobs and it's a miracle my idiot ridgeback mutt didn't end up dying from a blockage because she used to steal them all the time. We even got a locking lid for the garbage can (as in, literally key-and-lock locking lid) and she still flipped it and chewed through the plastic to eat the corn cob. Bitch was obsessed with them.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if somebody threw it in the yard after they were done eating, or a bird may have even been carrying it and dropped it. I'm glad it sounds like the little pup is doing better and hope you've got your little dude back home soon.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Blockages are always corn cobs.

Always.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I wouldn't at all be surprised if somebody threw it in the yard after they were done eating, or a bird may have even been carrying it and dropped it. I'm glad it sounds like the little pup is doing better and hope you've got your little dude back home soon.

People are mad nasty with their food trash. They will just straight up throw half-eaten food or chicken bones on the ground in lieu of actually putting it in a trash can 20 feet away because they are human garbage. Taking a dog to a park is such a pain in the rear end because they will find every rotten morsel or inedible remnant to make themselves sick on.

Hope your dog is on the up-and-up soon, OP.

catamar
May 23, 2008
I'm glad you were able to get it out of him! I'm 99% sure Gansett is going to die of a condom + chicken bone blockage. The park we visit most often is carpeted in them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
My dog swallowed a whole macadamia nut and cost $2000 to save her stupid life. We cut down the tree while she was recovering.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My other dog ingested part of a bone that splintered (don't buy cheapass bones from tractor supply, kids) and it got stuck but he managed to poop it out after costing me $400+ to keep him at the vet for observation. We refer to it as the world's most expensive poo poo.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Slugworth posted:

Blockages are always corn cobs.

Always.

Not true. Sometimes it's an acorn.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

apparently my local vet gets a dozen macadamia blockages a year and can basically diagnose on sight with 100% accuracy.

Caydence
Sep 3, 2011
Got a call from the vet this morning saying that our dog wasn't doing well, and probably wasn't going to make it. The damage to the intestine was too much for the little guy to recover. I went and picked the kids up from school, but he was gone before we could get there to say goodbye. :(

Been a pretty down day for us, but we spent it together. Went through all our pictures of him, laughing at the ones where my wife made silly hats for him to wear. And this horrible hot dog costume she put him in for Halloween one year. He was a good dog, and he deserved better than we gave him, and he deserved a better way to go. :(

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
OP, that is mega poo poo. Sorry for your little buddy :(

catamar
May 23, 2008
I'm so sorry. :(

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My dumbass dog has, among other things, eaten my mother's checkbook and my brother's entire wallet, minus his license. He also somehow didn't have a blockage after these events. He's uh, a legend of sorts at the vet. :downs:

I'm sorry for your loss though. :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Oh no poor guy :(

You did everything you could for him though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

sorry about your dog Caydence. you gave him the best life you could.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Sorry for you loss man, that's a rough break.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
You did good by him. My condolences

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

I'm sorry. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
You did all you could. So sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
:(

• Locked thread