Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Barf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is that police siren some new goal horn for the Rags?

:siren: TUUUUUBE :siren:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ugh

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

whew

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

RyJo trying the Mats Zuccarello slow-down special.

Nash! :siren:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

NASHTY!!!!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

NICE ONE CAM!!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

phew

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Rick Nash :siren:

Cam-on-Cam save!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Let's Go Rangers!!!! :D :D :D

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Maybe Cam Atkinson gave us a home town discount :tinfoil:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yeah, that was "Which goalie wanted to be less bad?". Oh well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Come back soon Lundqvist.

Like I said I like Talbot as a backup but he's not great at shutting it down for the win

On the other hand, the Rangers also have struggled to really shut things down in the third period as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm already so loving excited for the 2015-2016 NHL season. Gonna be fun to see Kari get traded ten games in if he isn't gone in the offseason.

I'm aware our backup is playing, mind you. Just saying in general, since the Stars are so done this season I'm done being hopeful ironically.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

I'm already so loving excited for the 2015-2016 NHL season. Gonna be fun to see Kari get traded ten games in if he isn't gone in the offseason.

I'm aware our backup is playing, mind you. Just saying in general, since the Stars are so done this season I'm done being hopeful ironically.

Kari Lehtonen may just be THE most untradeable contract in the NHL right now. Not going to happen.

Our best hope is that the team can somehow get a 2nd goaltender on the cheap who can take over if/when this happens again.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
This is for the Norm Green joke, assholes.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

for the thread's reference the Stars are coming up close to a calendar year now since we won a game started by anyone else than Kari Lehtonen.

And Kari Lehtonen is loving terrible. It's kind of a miracle this team has as many points as they do.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Starsfan posted:

for the thread's reference the Stars are coming up close to a calendar year now since we won a game started by anyone else than Kari Lehtonen.

And Kari Lehtonen is loving terrible.

No offense, but with a stat like that, how are you in the hunt? Like with the revolving door of Kuemper, GOAL

GOAL

GOAL

door of Kuemper and such, how do you not even get one?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

No offense, but with a stat like that, how are you in the hunt? Like with the revolving door of Kuemper, GOAL

GOAL

GOAL

door of Kuemper and such, how do you not even get one?

yeah it's crazy. Lehtonen currently has a .906 save percentage and that's actually after a bit of a hot streak. He's been under .900 for large parts of this season.

His record is 25-13-9. And that's with some terrible luck where we lose every god drat game that goes to OT and shootout.. like those are usually coinflips so with some better luck some of those 9 extra points could be wins..

So basically the take home is that even with goaltending that's way below league average, Dallas is playing at a 103 point pace if you stretch Lehtonen's record over a full 82 game season. They are 0-11-0 with the backups because our backup's average SVP% this year had been down around .850 and not even the Canadian Olympic team could consistently win games with that.

So yeah.. next season, aim for a .905 save percentage and this team will make the playoffs. If the goaltending is actually good they'll contend for the division.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I still maintain our defense should be interesting next season though, since a lot of our young guys are getting some ice time and have flashes of brilliance. Just find a replacement for Jordie Benn (homeless people are cheap, I think) and our D should be a noticeable improvement.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

7 goals in one period.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Something about playing in Dallas makes backup goaltender have a .750 save percentage.. Ever since Mike Smith left town, they haven't had a single guy who wasn't among the worst goaltenders in the league as a backup.

I just have to start telling myself eventually the bad goaltending will end.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Starsfan posted:

Something about playing in Dallas makes backup goaltender have a .750 save percentage.. Ever since Mike Smith left town, they haven't had a single guy who wasn't among the worst goaltenders in the league as a backup.

I just have to start telling myself eventually the bad goaltending will end.

I told myself that and we got Devan Dubnyk.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
Minnesota said gently caress Jhonas Enroth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

People on twitter are saying it's the defense.. in previous years the talent on the team was much worse and they gave up far more scoring chances against and the goaltending was always league average.

For some reason, the goaltenders on the team just got together and said "hey, we're going to have a year where we combine for a sub .890 save percentage". 80's style.

• Locked thread