Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

daft punk railroad posted:

more like quacktime

more like ur mom gave me a quicktime

haha, 0wn3d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

duTrieux. posted:

i don't really have any strong feelings about calcium oxide. i guess in general i'm in support, it's an important chemical in industry and is where we got the word limelight so i can't complain

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shakespearean Beef posted:

more like slowtime

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
QuickTime is barely tolerable on osx and awful on windows

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

file format has issues because they couldn't have possibly designed it to be forward thinking for video formats 23 years ago. Things like gamma is never correct on half the formats unless it's completely controlled (host software, encoder, decoder, playback software)

The player has never done any kind of gamma correction for Windows, so it's terrible there.

QuickTime X in OS X is good, but it only plays back Mpeg-4 varients. Everyhting is piped through QT 7 framework otherwise and you have all the same suck.

this is also a thing since you need QT 7 to correctly play back files Final Cut spits out that aren't mpeg-4 based:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

more like ur mom gave me a quicktime

haha, 0wn3d

your mom gave me a safari iykwim

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
i just remember how lovely the player has always looked

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPWbadeY5M

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the 2.0 video owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its bad, op. its real real bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
quickytime has been trash since iits inception

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Skylark posted:

With all the fuss these days, I feel like a lot of people forget about good old Quicktime.

QuickTime is awesome because QuickTime is a well-factored API and container format. people who confuse QuickTime with individual CODECs are idiot shitlords.

a QuickTime movie is made up of tracks containing track media. there are a bunch of completely generic API for dealing with this, including the fact that different track media may use different CODECs while still retaining their track type. (e.g. a video track may use Cinepak, H.264, whatever, but it's still a "video" track in the API and all video poo poo can be done to it), time bases, etc. thus it works extremely well not just for capture and playback but also for things like nonlinear editing.

I tried to convince xiphmont this was The Right Thing when he was designing the Ogg APIs but he was all "Ogg is just an output format, not a container format!" and welp.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

idiot shitlords.

idiot shitlords, huh?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eschaton posted:

QuickTime is awesome because QuickTime is a well-factored API and container format. people who confuse QuickTime with individual CODECs are idiot shitlords.

a QuickTime movie is made up of tracks containing track media. there are a bunch of completely generic API for dealing with this, including the fact that different track media may use different CODECs while still retaining their track type. (e.g. a video track may use Cinepak, H.264, whatever, but it's still a "video" track in the API and all video poo poo can be done to it), time bases, etc. thus it works extremely well not just for capture and playback but also for things like nonlinear editing.

I tried to convince xiphmont this was The Right Thing when he was designing the Ogg APIs but he was all "Ogg is just an output format, not a container format!" and welp.

pagancan can i get an assist on this post? good? bad?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pagancow lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

eschaton prob coded part of it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

immanentise the op

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

you mean h.264 vs h.265. it's fairly new, but i think it's considered a standard that has pretty good compatibility

the H.265 video CODEC is supposed to get the same quality with something like 1/4 to 1/2 the data rate of the H.264 video CODEC, which is why it's expected to be the go-to for 4K video.

I gather at least the free encoder implementations aren't quite there yet. I'd listen to the later Melton podcast to see what he has to say.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pagancow is my trusted expert, and i like him. thats worth a lot in "the biz" as they say

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna use my video player to watch animé.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Flat Daddy posted:

haha yea same buy doa5 ryona

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

theadder posted:

eschaton prob coded part of it

I didn't but know some of the folks involved and they're OK

I'm rotor old, but not that old

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i meant x imo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Flat Daddy posted:

it's pronounced "japanimation"

:goonsay:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

eschaton posted:

it's pronounced "japanimation"

:goonsay:

jap animation? Doesn't sound PC.

I'll believe u though because I havent watched any yet. I'm starting tomorrow.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smythe posted:

pagancow is my trusted expert, and i like him. thats worth a lot in "the biz" as they say

yvcpos tgread is past it's prime though please do the needful and end it's misery

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
in the late 90s when cd singles were a thing and when putting music videos on them was also a thing, the ones that used quicktime consistently had both larger filesizes and weirder, more visible artifacting than the ones that used avi or mpg

therefore

Shaggar posted:

its bad, op. its real real bad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

sorenson was rly bad but now it uses h.264 so it's ok i guess

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

eschaton posted:

the H.265 video CODEC is supposed to get the same quality with something like 1/4 to 1/2 the data rate of the H.264 video CODEC, which is why it's expected to be the go-to for 4K video.

I gather at least the free encoder implementations aren't quite there yet. I'd listen to the later Melton podcast to see what he has to say.

yeah i think you can get up to 1/2 the amount of file size for the same quality than if you were using h.264

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

eschaton posted:

this is true that the container was very forward thinking for 1991 but there were many oversights that they couldn't possibly think of for modern codecs that gently caress up quicktime container for todays use. (No standard way to store gamma, real confusing way to set frame rate for audio and video tracks in attempts to sync them up, Third party tools not implementing HOW to read the container metadata in a standard way causes A/V desyncs like in pro tools,no standard way to store multi-channel audio, 32-bit only framework, list goes on)

It would be like saying "When the Sega Genesis launched in 1989 it was awesome, and guess what it's still awesome because it was awesome then!" but it's not a good platform for a lot of things that we do in modern games.

Apple doesn't even deliver quicktime files anymore. Think about that.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 23, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

i rememeber installing quicktime on my macintosh IIsi with system 7.0.1 so I could play sherlock holmes: consulting detective :)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
mov was an amazing format but h264 is clearly superiour, apple was the first big company to fully realize the greatness of the h264 codec. thank you steve (SAW).

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

pagancow posted:

this is true that the container was very forward thinking for 1991 but there were many oversights that they couldn't possibly think of for modern codecs that gently caress up quicktime container for todays use. (No standard way to store gamma, real confusing way to set frame rate for audio and video tracks in attempts to sync them up, Third party tools not implementing HOW to read the container metadata in a standard way causes A/V desyncs like in pro tools,no standard way to store multi-channel audio, 32-bit only framework, list goes on)
does mp4 fix any of these problems?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

mov was an amazing format but h264 is clearly superiour, apple was the first big company to fully realize the greatness of the h264 codec. thank you steve (SAW).

mov is a container and can contain various codecs including h.264 but mp4 is superior

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Thread got bad

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i am pleased that my quicklime post got at least one quote

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

jony ive aces posted:

does mp4 fix any of these problems?

Yes, they solved color space, and they also made it so it can only hold one video codec and one audio codec.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

emptyquote my post if you installed Quicktime to play Myst.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

As a Millennial I posted:

emptyquote my post if you installed Quicktime to play Myst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

only 90's kids will get that.

• Locked thread