Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
Hey, listen. There’s no one here, just this. No owner, no one to be old, to be young, to be good or bad, weak or strong. Just this, that’s all; various elements of nature playing themselves out, all empty. No one born and no one to die. Those who speak of death are speaking the language of ignorant children. In the language of the heart, of Dharma, there’s no such thing.

When we carry a burden, it’s heavy. When there’s no one to carry it, there’s not a problem in the world. Do not look for good or bad or for anything at all. Do not be anything. There’s nothing more, just this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax
One: all composite phenomena are impermanent.
Two: all contaminated things and events are unsatisfactory.
Three: all phenomena are empty and selfless.
And four: Nirvana is true peace.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

die kafir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVvLpFbxPE

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
It's a good half of the answer, and I'm glad it happened. Voted 5.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's the best religion if you want to pretend you're a jedi

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's actually a heaven and a hell in buddhism lol take that

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If I was going to practice any religion, it'd be Buddhism.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i just smoked some buddha

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

taking refuge in the triple gem is a pretty cool thing to do

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

a ballsy decision

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I am now a completely different being than that which read the post above this.

I am now a completely different being than that which wrote the line above this.

Yet...I am still gay. Ohhmmmmmm

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Parallax Scroll posted:

i just smoked some buddha

greetings.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
You can show you are no longer enslaved by the material world by joining a buddhist sect and giving the leader all of your money. You will feel so free

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

my favorite buddhism story is when a bodhisatva levitated in front of a guy to prove a point and the guy got so scared that he threw an ant hill on the bodhisatva, who then flew away into space.

chill religion

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

tvayisnihyaami posted:

Don't you mean: 1: life is suffering. 2: the origin of suffering is desire.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

nice i wsa just reading about asceticms right then. wow, some really big ideas here, not sure fi i can take them all in at once. i have heard about people meditationing until they are too hungry to even stay sitt ing up any more. is this something that is expect ed ab out a n ascetic lifestyle because i get sick i f i dont eat at least a couple of times a day. like its rdally bad it feels like im going to throw up if i dont stuff transfats and sugar into my stupid fat gay mouth

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

Don't you mean: 1: life is suffering. 2: the origin of suffering is desire.
p sure buddha said "hope is the first steps on the roads to disappointments"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
aghoris are the new buddhism

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

lonesomedwarf posted:

p sure buddha said "hope is the first steps on the roads to disappointments"

he said "orb tane"

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tvayisnihyaami posted:

nirvana, hir wanna

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

Yivgev posted:

he said "orb tane"

actually that was me i said tane first, and i said orb too if you see someone saying this they copied me, i was the one to sayd it

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

lonesomedwarf posted:

actually that was me i said tane first, and i said orb too if you see someone saying this they copied me, i was the one to sayd it

stop copying yourself fucker rear end bitch

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I love the story where a monk from some bush league religion tried to challenge the Buddha to a debate and buddha was like "no, i don't really care lol." This made the dude want to convert to Buddhism, but he was just told to get out.

This is a legit parable from Buddhism.

Buddha was essentially the first goon.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
When posting is, GBS is.
From the arising of posting comes the arising of GBS.
When posting isn't, GBS isn't.
From the cessation of posting comes the cessation of GBS.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
"Life is suffering" is the most baller thing I've ever heard. But I guess that translation is just too real, so contemporary Buddhists are trying to water the four noble truths down into something that's more palatable for the modern Western bitch-made Buddhist. But these new translations are just more obscurantist and less clear and useful.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Buddhism ruined my live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Buddhism ruined my live

doubt it :D

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
religion of peace

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
i'm white but i'm not that white

thanks anyway op

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
kinky bhudda in female manifestation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTxPlUnDQ1U

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
ex was a nichiren buddhist and took me to one of their services at some buddhist place in manhattan, lots of creepy people with big smiles trying to sell me stuff, the whole thing felt like some kind of eastern twinged scientology or something. this buddhism was not the cool buddhism i was expecting :gbsmith:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
buddhism a religion invented to convince the lower castes not to revolt against their masters for fear of getting an even shittier life next go around, and to justify the wealth and prestige of the higher castes as moral superiority rather than blatant exploitation... gosh... truly a n enlightened religion of peace and good to all people....

taoism better than all other religos imo

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Gatekeeper posted:

ex was a nichiren buddhist and took me to one of their services at some buddhist place in manhattan, lots of creepy people with big smiles trying to sell me stuff, the whole thing felt like some kind of eastern twinged scientology or something. this buddhism was not the cool buddhism i was expecting :gbsmith:

i watched some tibetan buddhist monks create a sand mandala in dallas, this really incredibly ornate picture drawn entirely in colored sand, and then dump it into the river to celebrate the impermanence of all things. it was genuinely amazing.

Oberleutnant posted:

buddhism a religion invented to convince the lower castes not to revolt against their masters for fear of getting an even shittier life next go around, and to justify the wealth and prestige of the higher castes as moral superiority rather than blatant exploitation... gosh... truly a n enlightened religion of peace and good to all people....

did u ever just think like... religion is a tool of social control for the fucktarded masses? haha whoa

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Aauuuummmmmmmm

Aauuuummmmmmmm

Aauuuummmmmmmm

Aauuuummmmmmmm

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

whichi religion gives me the enlightenment perks

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Yivgev posted:

i watched some tibetan buddhist monks create a sand mandala in dallas, this really incredibly ornate picture drawn entirely in colored sand, and then dump it into the river to celebrate the impermanence of all things. it was genuinely amazing.

did u ever just think like... religion is a tool of social control for the fucktarded masses? haha whoa

dont confuse me with some neckbearded angry atheist. i just think buddhism is an incredibly lovely religion that seems to get a pass because white people think its exotic

theres a good book called Into the Silence which is actually mostly about british india, the first world war, and climbing everest, but in the early chapters it touhes on the interactions between british india and tibet with lots of accounts of tibetan society at the same and it was loving brutal as gently caress. we're talking non-stop mutilations and executions of they own people for the smallest of crimes. all this like less than 100 years ago lmao.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Muslims get a lot of poo poo from everybody because of Islamic terrorists and the like, but if you're a Buddhist no one ever mentions the genocide of the Rohingya in Burma or the Sri Lankan fascist movements happening right now. They just go "ooh how spiritual", it owns

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i prefer my religion to be a therapy that makes no ethical demands on me whatsoever.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Dennis System posted:

"Life is suffering" is the most baller thing I've ever heard. But I guess that translation is just too real, so contemporary Buddhists are trying to water the four noble truths down into something that's more palatable for the modern Western bitch-made Buddhist. But these new translations are just more obscurantist and less clear and useful.

Exactly. ive been banned twice in the buddhist thread for saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

i prefer my religion to be a therapy that makes no ethical demands on me whatsoever.

I agree that the modern world needs something new (if I can assume you think that), but right speech, right action, right *faaart*

Oberleutnant posted:

taoism better than all other religos imo

Isnt that hinduism...buddhism was casteless at its inception. Many untouchables convert to buddhism to escape their caste. Saw your next post about the Tibetans though and thats a fair thing to say. But thats centuries after buddhism was created, things always turn to poo poo with time, even the most noble ideas.

• Locked thread