Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

redshirt posted:

I don't get it. Reincarnated lives seem permanent, and unique.

Jains have a thing about this. With infinite reincarnations across endless kalpas, you both will be an already have been everything. And you will do and already have done everything. The reincarnations aren't permanent or unique, they are transitory and each inevitably ends. We only think our lives are unique and permanent because we are unenlightened. Or so the story goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Cacator posted:

Are Buddhists OK with people appropriating their symbolism for tattoos? I want this as a tattoo.

You should def get this as a full back piece, as I doubt any Buddhists will be offended and it may even give you magic powers. Businessmen in South China, who are otherwise hyper racist against Tibetans, often get Tibetan thankas and statues for their offices for their ferocious aspect and therefore powerful magic.

Here's a few more, because I love this poo poo.

Mahakala

Yama

And for the wrathful ladies out there, Palden Lhamo

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Agag posted:

And for the wrathful ladies out there, Palden Lhamo

I am very wrathful :twisted: Not sure she's doing such a good job protecting Tibet though

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
So yeah I was thinking: If reincarnation is real, how then to explain the difference in population now compared to in the past? Even just hundred years ago there was like 6 billion less people. Go back thousands of years ago and the difference is even greater.

So where are all these reincarnated people coming from?

tvayisnihyaami
Dec 23, 2012

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

So yeah I was thinking: If reincarnation is real, how then to explain the difference in population now compared to in the past? Even just hundred years ago there was like 6 billion less people. Go back thousands of years ago and the difference is even greater.

buddha actually didn't really teach about reincarnation. i practice buddhism and personally don't believe in reincarnation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

tvayisnihyaami posted:

buddha actually didn't really teach about reincarnation. i practice buddhism and personally don't believe in reincarnation.

I don't believe it either.

If Buddha didn't teach it, how is it a Buddhist belief? Is it the Tibetans?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Oberleutnant posted:

buddhism a religion invented to convince the lower castes not to revolt against their masters for fear of getting an even shittier life next go around, and to justify the wealth and prestige of the higher castes as moral superiority rather than blatant exploitation... gosh... truly a n enlightened religion of peace and good to all people....

taoism better than all other religos imo

That's Hinduism brah(min).

Lmao Tzu
Sep 11, 2014

Oberleutnant posted:

buddhism a religion invented to convince the lower castes not to revolt against their masters for fear of getting an even shittier life next go around, and to justify the wealth and prestige of the higher castes as moral superiority rather than blatant exploitation... gosh... truly a n enlightened religion of peace and good to all people....

taoism better than all other religos imo

Taoism is bullshit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lmao Tzu posted:

Taoism is bullshit.

lol

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
jijimuge? more like jijimuGAY amirite

lol buddhism joeks

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

post more chinese demons im high as fuk

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
There's a room of souls that is only depleted when a 'new' soul is born. Most souls are obviously new souls, going by population numbers. And when at least the chamber of Guf is empty, it's Eva time! WOOOOO! hth.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

check out hungry ghost artwork. dope and creepy as gently caress

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

The Dali Lama walks into a pizza restaurant and says "make me one with everything"

Sorry if this has already been posted.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nathilus posted:

There's a room of souls that is only depleted when a 'new' soul is born. Most souls are obviously new souls, going by population numbers. And when at least the chamber of Guf is empty, it's Eva time! WOOOOO! hth.

Ok so let's say there's the first soul. somehow. Who gets reincarnated, and while doing this makes 3 new souls. And they each make 3 re-incarnated souls - like shivers of the All Soul or Something - and so on, times 3,000 generations.

That first soul would still be reincarnating, and hence be an "Old Soul".

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

redshirt posted:

Ok so let's say there's the first soul. somehow. Who gets reincarnated, and while doing this makes 3 new souls. And they each make 3 re-incarnated souls - like shivers of the All Soul or Something - and so on, times 3,000 generations.

That first soul would still be reincarnating, and hence be an "Old Soul".

This is close to what i think might be happening..we're nothing more than fragments of nothing in particular.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle posted:

check out hungry ghost artwork. dope and creepy as gently caress

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

redshirt posted:

About 108 billion people total have lived on Earth. But there are only 7 billion alive right now. But, yeah, the math of reincarnation doesn't work out.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Nice assumption that you get reincarnated as a human right after death.

I can't recall which area/culture the following is from, but as I heard it: reincarnation happens beyond human timescales, with the universe/planet even being reborn; you reincarnate as ants, demons, eels, gods, etc.; all that karma white people preach about can take lifetimes to catch up to you.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im gonna be reincarnated as a virus

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

im far more gay than that.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
zen buddhism is p chill and is basically a way of thinking and a worldview instead of necessarily being a religion

thats my story about zen buddhism i hope u enjoyed

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Dennis System posted:

But, yeah, the math of reincarnation doesn't work out.

Unlike everything else?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I googled buddhist fire and I got this

and I'm okay with that

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Parallax Scroll posted:

i just smoked some buddha

if you find the Buddha, smkoe him

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
the deities are watching all of us mortals live and die and do desperate, idiotic, crazy, silly, poo poo and just laugh at us because we take life so seriously, yet none of us are real.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Bulking up + getting drunk + smoking dope + loving girls is all i need to be happy, gently caress is this buddhism pansy poo poo

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

dk2m posted:

Bulking up + getting drunk + smoking dope + loving girls is all i need to be happy, gently caress is this buddhism pansy poo poo

enjoy your life as a hungry ghost

namaste

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I guess someone should tell the Tamils in Sri Lanka that buddhists are chill people and not to worry about it

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
you have to rape and kill a child or murder your famil or w/e to become a hungry ghost. it takes some effort.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Zzulu posted:

I googled buddhist fire and I got this

and I'm okay with that

Quotin' this if you down with Buddha.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

captainoblivious posted:

I guess someone should tell the Tamils in Sri Lanka that buddhists are chill people and not to worry about it

The tamil tigers are secular marxists..sorry bout ur invective

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

me irl

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Nice assumption that you get reincarnated as a human right after death.

I can't recall which area/culture the following is from, but as I heard it: reincarnation happens beyond human timescales, with the universe/planet even being reborn; you reincarnate as ants, demons, eels, gods, etc.; all that karma white people preach about can take lifetimes to catch up to you.

So could I end karma and the cycle of rebirth if I scorched this planet of all life?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

So could I end karma and the cycle of rebirth if I scorched this planet of all life?

You underestimate life if you think it exists only on this planet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You underestimate life if you think it exists only on this planet.

It's a start towards full enlightenment.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

redshirt posted:

Righteous action

threads gettin p gay

Agag posted:

On that subject, there were a bunch of little Greco-Buddhist kingdoms in Central Asia. Alexandrian successors who were later converted to Buddhism by Silk Road missionaries. Made some nice statues.

Perhaps the Greeks introduced pedophilia to Central Asia, but we'll never know for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
for some reason i fuckin love the idea that hercules and budda where totall fuckin bros

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

for some reason i fuckin love the idea that hercules and budda where totall fuckin bros

Yeah and it's cool and I'd like to learn more about Indian/hindu/buddhist influence back to Greece and thus Rome/Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

Tautologicus posted:

The tamil tigers are secular marxists..sorry bout ur invective

Tamil, not Tamil Tiger, they aren't same thing. Despite their marxist leanings much of the Tiger leadership including Prabhakaran were deeply Hindu privately, and it is ignorant to suggest the civil war had no religious component. Sinhalese buddhist leadership were always the driving force behind oppression of Tamils ever since the British left as they felt the British preferred Hindus to Buddhists. Before the Tigers were even a thing Buddhist leaders were pushing Sri Lankan Tamils to leave Sri Lanka for Tamil India, and were actively a part of creating legislation that removed any agency the Tamil people had over their own farms and plantations. Now that same religious leadership has been promoting serious democratic and human rights violations even after the war ended. Everyone involved in this war was hosed up but I'm not sure why buddhism gets this free pass because a bunch of people decided it was cool before knowing anything about its history.

• Locked thread