Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Educator
Feb 22, 2015
When I heard that this would be coming out, I actually got a little boner because my body knew that this would turn out great. So far, it's hearsay because my copy is not here yet, but I have word from folk who have managed to suck Satan's dick and get it early that it goes together quite well.

I see that PP put out an Adventure Game Kit as a cheap, crack-like offering to get new players hooked on their miniatures. As I am old and no longer have time to paint, I looked at it and scoffed. Scoffed! The actual book looks up to their usual standard.

Here is what I am interested in doing in Western Immoren:

• Eating my enemies and getting their powers.
  • Cooking up my enemy's MAGIC portion of the brain to gain an insight into their magic missiles.
  • Bathing in the blood and gore of my enemies (not sure if this has an effect, but seems like the kind of thing I would do).

Anyone else out there with a hardon for overthrowing a steampunk civilization with voodoo crocodiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
I'm pretty stoked. and the price point is fantastic! it's sub 40 dollars for a book, maps, minis? That's madness for a game with such high production value. I think it'll revitalise my gaming group's desire to adventure in the Iron Kingdoms, which they kinda burned out on last year.

Educator
Feb 22, 2015

alchahest posted:

I'm pretty stoked. and the price point is fantastic! it's sub 40 dollars for a book, maps, minis? That's madness for a game with such high production value. I think it'll revitalise my gaming group's desire to adventure in the Iron Kingdoms, which they kinda burned out on last year.

Oh, it's a great deal, to be sure.

I am curious about the magic mechanics in this one.

Mailbox Roleplay
Jul 16, 2006

I've been fairly excited for this release, has anyone got to look around in it and see what the new rules and careers are like? Too bad my LGS has had trouble trying to stock it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I glanced through the book. The HUGE book. Man is it big. Didn't check all the special abilities and stuff. Seems Gatormen are at least as strong and tough as Trollkin, well without the Revitalize thing Trollkin get for free, maxing out at 10 PHY and STR, while Trollkin get 10 and 9. Gatormen also get a Bite that uses Unarmed and is POW 5. And they get that Flesh is Steel thing that Allegiant of the Fist gets, which gives them ARM of 2x PHY if unarmored.

Some careers specifically for Male or Female Tharn. A bunch of Trollkin specific Careers, including the Fell Caller but also the Fennblade, the Troll Warlock, and uh I believe something that rides some type of beast, a wolf rider or something. Just about every race in the book has their own type of Warlock, except for the ones that can't be Gifted. I believe only Fell Caller and Sorcerer were reproduced from the first book.

EDIT: This Page has the Spine Ripper beast. Also has the Bog Trog.

Here is a Free Preview that also has the Spine Ripper, the Bone Grinder career, but not the Bog Trog as far as I can tell. It also includes a list of the new careers.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 23, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The Long Rider Trollkin career's also a reprint from the magazine, but I don't think anything else is.

Also looking at that preview, one of the talents is Haruspex, which is great, because everyone needs the power to predict the future by reading entrails.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I ended up picking up the book so could possibly answer some questions if anyone had any. And yeah Haruspex looked like entrail reading, I saw it on the Bokor list I believe.

Mailbox Roleplay
Jul 16, 2006

If Haruspex is in, it's likely the same ability that Thamarite Advocates can take (from Urban Adventures).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

So what's the verdict on power level? I've heard tell that their ultimate plan to balance warlocks and warcasters is "don't."

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
So I've recently been the GM for a quick game of the free Iron Kingdoms intro adventure with my friends, since I bought the main IKRPG book and wanted to try to convince others to play the game. After using little paper cutouts for most enemies and players, i kinda want to get some cheap figures to use as characters and enemies instead.

The IK Unleashed starter box thing looks great, though it contains a bit more pig-men and such than I'd like, I'd rather focus on the civilization half of IK. I have a few Protectorate of Menoth troops from when I was trying to play Warmachine, but my selection isn't great. Just a few flamethrower dudes, some Knights Exemplar Errants, and Feora. Not exactly enough for playing an RPG.

So my point is, aside from buying the IK Unleashed starter set, what's a good source for multiple assorted 30mm base miniatures? I bought a copy of Privateer Press's GRIND, just to get a pile of robots, and that works alright for medium and large size bases.

My internet research has led me to a few things...

Figures by that Malifaux company, to include this starter set of assorted female character bits

Look like they could offer a decent selection of hero character models, also available in dudes. I hear Malifaux stuff can be fiddly to put together though.

Pile of cheapass pre-painted assorted soldier dudes

That includes a pile of pikemen dudes, some assassin guys, some monster-hunter/inquisitory dudes, a mage, and a knight, all on 30mm bases (I'm pretty sure), for like $20. Not a bad deal for cheapass prepainted army, if I wanted to make players fight an army.

Now of course all these minis are more for Iron Kingdoms: Full Metal Fantasy rather than Iron Kingdoms: Unleashed, but I figured I might as well post about it here rather than in the Warmachine thread or whatever. Also I'm mostly just finding sets of humans at the moment, though IKRPG includes elves and dwarves and of course trollkin and other beasts too. Guess I could just look to get Warmachine minis in bundles on eBay or something, but...

So I dunno, halp

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 23, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I don't even have the full book yet, but this is already may favorite "Reason to play a character" quote.

quote:

Choose the Bone Grinder career if you want to play a filth-encrusted meat wizard

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

theironjef posted:

So what's the verdict on power level? I've heard tell that their ultimate plan to balance warlocks and warcasters is "don't."

Still don't have the full book, but from what I'm hearing the main balance issue is that: IKR is sort of built around an assumption that you take one combat career and one non-combat. The careers in Unleashed aren't built around that assumption, and are generally fightier, because the theme is more "Survive in harsh conditions, punch monsters" than "Bum around in cities being vaguely mercenary and pick fights with murderers and ghosts and ghost murderers" (Which is like 75 percent of all the published adventures so far.) They are overall still compatible, but there's basically warning flags for cross-classing between the two because Aristocrat/Duelist is pretty great for an Iron Kingdoms Adventure but might have issues with an Unleashed story.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Man, "you are insufficiently murder-hoboy" is a hell of a situation to get yourself into.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Still don't have the full book, but from what I'm hearing the main balance issue is that: IKR is sort of built around an assumption that you take one combat career and one non-combat. The careers in Unleashed aren't built around that assumption, and are generally fightier, because the theme is more "Survive in harsh conditions, punch monsters" than "Bum around in cities being vaguely mercenary and pick fights with murderers and ghosts and ghost murderers" (Which is like 75 percent of all the published adventures so far.) They are overall still compatible, but there's basically warning flags for cross-classing between the two because Aristocrat/Duelist is pretty great for an Iron Kingdoms Adventure but might have issues with an Unleashed story.

That's good. I had heard at some convention where the developers basically said "Yeah, warlock is way better than warcaster, there just wasn't a way for it not to be" so I was curious if that had borne out. I always figured it was because they were basically going to hand out light beasts at chargen to all warlocks so that Fury would work.

Mailbox Roleplay
Jul 16, 2006

This is an Iron Kingdoms question in general but as soul taker is in Unleashed (and properly nerfed), do souls show up when collected by a character? The fiction for the wargame suggests they do but what about with Shadow Magic?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also warbeast acquisition is very much ?????? mechanically and they are pretty much better than Jacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I think the design choices on some of the warbeasts is odd. Some are easy corrections, like adding back a ROF to the Ironback Spitter. Others are just strange, though. They gave the Brute Boar the Rabid ability? drat, that takes it from a mediocre medium beast to blowing all other mediums away full stop. Throw in the fact that it can wear armor and use cleavers and it's better than most heavies.

I guess what I'm saying is that I need them to give me that thing in the wargame so I can make my Thornfall army into something credible.

• Locked thread