Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm reading while listening to random tracks from the soundtrack on youtube, that's really some pretty fine music. Makes me want to pour a whiskey myself. Also, love the .gifs.

I found the cigar, but I filtered out the newspaper as rubbish. On the roof...gently caress that poo poo. I thought it'd be the axe/hammer and the latch or something. Those dots didn't even register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

All the conversations are written from Orlando's perspective. Seeing as how prohibition ended, he is probably completely hammered, constantly, only capable of slurring (racial) insults at passersby and getting into constant fights. His mind translates his speech into what, to his addled brain, sounds like marvelously witty responses. In his drunken stupor he imagines reliving his glory days, stringing multiple booze fueled days and nights into a coherent narrative of solving a non-existent murder mystery. From the drunk tank at the police station, to various bars, stealing money left and right to buy more booze, he finally lands in the city's sewer system, following an imaginary trail on a road paved with empty bottles.

Well, that, or the translation was botched up from already cheesy text.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Perhaps they translated the game by giving Orlando's dialogue to one guy, all the other dialogue to another translator, and never showed either of them the context the dialogue was supposed to happen in. Both translators think they're crafting witty, top-notch dialogue, put them together and it's surrealism.

But that shot with the police ambling off is just too pelfect.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Thank you, this was amazing. I've never been so baffled by a video game before.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

That's actually a pretty common ye olde way of making a lockpick. I can't find any good translation so I'm just going to :eng101:

In German, the thing Orlando made would be called a Dietrich. It's a very simple tool used to unlock equally simple locks like this one. Wikipedia thinks that 'Dietrich' should be translated as 'skeleton key', but that just doesn't fit the bill. It's not so much a blank key to be used on multiple locks, but more a home-made back-up key or burglary device.

Perhaps this is a European or specifically German/Polish thing?

• Locked thread