Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

vim is cool and good when your ide has a shitass built in editor. most embedded ides fall into this category, so i use alot of gvim. post your favorite plugins and vimrcs itt and lets talk about them.

in the past week, i reinstalled youcompleteme and installed ctrl-p and so far they are super needs suiting and i wanted to share how ownage ycm is somewhere even if it is kind of a pain to get working on windows. luckily some dude provides windows builds so its less bad but you still have to like have python installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

http://www.viemu.com/

best hundred bucks i ever spent

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i installed netbeans today op

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

here u go http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/2802/jvi-vi-vim-editor-clone

every free vim clone ide plugin i've tried has been dogshit though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went straight from pico to emacs then quit coding forever which was the best choice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

wish you'd quit posting forever, etc.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

code:
syntax enable
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set expandtab
set number
:unsmigghh:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
excellent thread, op. let's all share some of our best .vimrc snippets so we can learn from each other

quote:

map j gj
map k gk

this makes it so up and down work like they "should" when you turn line wrap on

quote:

set backspace=indent,eol,start
set hidden

this makes vim behave like a text editor. i have no idea why "hidden" is still even an option let alone not the default behavior

quote:

map <C-j> <C-W>j
map <C-k> <C-W>k
map <C-h> <C-W>h
map <C-l> <C-W>l

scoot the cursor around windows by hitting C-<movement key> instead of having to hit C-W first. (i also recommend doing the equivalent with tmux panes)

quote:

com! W w
com! E e
iab breka break
iab frmo from
iab clsas class
iab calss class
iab slef self
iab contorl control
iab cehcked checked
iab constnat constant

i have an apple keyboard at work and it's real easy to gently caress stuff up on an apple keyboard

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

vim is wonderful but it's dumb that its default behavior is to take "out of sight, out of mind" literally

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what does hidden do

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Tiny Bug Child posted:

excellent thread, op. let's all share some of our best .vimrc snippets so we can learn from each other

this makes vim behave like a text editor. i have no idea why "hidden" is still even an option let alone not the default behavior

scoot the cursor around windows by hitting C-<movement key> instead of having to hit C-W first. (i also recommend doing the equivalent with tmux panes)

i have an apple keyboard at work and it's real easy to gently caress stuff up on an apple keyboard

look at all this janitor crap you have to do to make it behave like the default behavior in Notepad.exe

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Bloody posted:

what does hidden do

lets you load a buffer into a window that is already showing a buffer with unsaved changes, without being forced to save the changes

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Dicky B posted:

lets you load a buffer into a window that is already showing a buffer with unsaved changes, without being forced to save the changes

lol @ all this jargon i just wanna type a code and save it with apple+s dawg

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

power botton posted:

lol @ all this jargon i just wanna type a code and save it with apple+s dawg

wrong, you have to form an identity from your text editor

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

oh cool i couldn't remember the command for that

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i get mad about ppl using tools to solve problems

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it should only be used for ssh and git commits. if you use it for anything more than that you are probably autistic. hth op

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

yard salad posted:

wrong, you have to form an identity from your text editor

it's not about that, it's about using professional tools. vim has been refined over like 20 years to be The Programmer's Text Editor. it is very complex but if you master that complexity you will be able to edit text much more efficiently. if you are going to be editing text until you are 70, it is worth your while to learn how to do so as efficiently as you can

if it's your job to type text, then you should use the best tools for typing text. there's nothing wrong with going "lol i just wanna hit apple s and save my file" if you are not a professional developer. if you are a professional developer it is extraordinarily shameful to use some lovely shareware text editor. it's like a carpenter building a house with one of those 9.95 chinese 25-in-one plastic tool sets

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

triple sulk posted:

it should only be used for ssh and git commits. if you use it for anything more than that you are probably autistic. hth op

remember kids, sulk is the guy that a company told they packed up and moved to south america to avoid hiring him. don't be like sulk, who thinks learning how to do your job right is autistic. sulk is a bad example in pretty much every respect.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

it's not about that, it's about using professional tools. vim has been refined over like 20 years to be The Programmer's Text Editor. it is very complex but if you master that complexity you will be able to edit text much more efficiently. if you are going to be editing text until you are 70, it is worth your while to learn how to do so as efficiently as you can

if it's your job to type text, then you should use the best tools for typing text. there's nothing wrong with going "lol i just wanna hit apple s and save my file" if you are not a professional developer. if you are a professional developer it is extraordinarily shameful to use some lovely shareware text editor. it's like a carpenter building a house with one of those 9.95 chinese 25-in-one plastic tool sets

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

sublime text is lovely shareware, fyi

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

vim is powered by Open Source

black man 3
Oct 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Looking forward to the next hundred pages of boring it worker drivel

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pico/nano supremacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bbedit is my favorite text editor ever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why can't i remap <Esc> in insertion mode? im trying to do
:inoremap <Esc> <C-\><C-N>
but it does nothing! it shows up in the list of remaps but does nothing at all. i checked by doin this:
:inoremap <Esc> j<Esc>
which should fart out a j then hit escape but it just hits escape

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

black man 3 posted:

Looking forward to the next hundred pages of boring it worker drivel

what's your favorite text editor, black man 3

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I use MacVim so I get all of the vim goodness and command-s to save (and other standard apple keys)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
after a fresh install and installing https://github.com/skroll/dotvim my .vim dir is 200mb

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Tiny Bug Child posted:

remember kids, sulk is the guy that a company told they packed up and moved to south america to avoid hiring him. don't be like sulk, who thinks learning how to do your job right is autistic. sulk is a bad example in pretty much every respect.

this post cements my theory that TBC is a Graham gimmick account

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The Management posted:

this post cements my theory that TBC is a Graham gimmick account

i reject your theory because graham sucked and that would also mean that tiny bug intern was a fantasy

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

:q!

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

post your favorite "leader" key

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
code:
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
syn on

set foldmethod=indent

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Barnyard Protein posted:

code:
set shitwidth=4

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
folding is one thing that I never figured on vim

idk it just feels inherently awkward

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

z-A or z-R or z-M or something i dont remember

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it was super awesome the week or two that i remembered it existed and figured out how it worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tiny Bug Child posted:

• Locked thread