Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i like using shift, ctrl, home, end etc with the arrow keys I can't imagine switching to whatever vi does for selecting text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

my stepdads beer posted:

i like using shift, ctrl, home, end etc with the arrow keys I can't imagine switching to whatever vi does for selecting text

vim is the best when you have to copy/cut one or more lines and then paste them somewhere else. it's very nice. (i wimp out and use the mouse or something in gvim when i have to select less than a line)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

black pete posted:

Listen horse stable fucker, if you

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

prefect posted:

vim is the best when you have to copy/cut one or more lines and then paste them somewhere else. it's very nice. (i wimp out and use the mouse or something in gvim when i have to select less than a line)

did you try using f with visual mode?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Symbolic Butt posted:

did you try using f with visual mode?

i did not, and i should have :downs:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

black pete posted:

Listen dog kennel fucker, if you think half of your code can't be generated then you probably vastly overestimate your ability as a programmer. Either that or you are working on open sores code which is so mind bogglingly awful that generating even a single line is an np hard problem. In the latter then you should probably get a new career anyway.

this or you;re using some lovely language that cant have a proper IDE and teh ctrl space mashign that provudes

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

black pete posted:

Listen dog kennel fucker, if you think half of your code can't be generated then you probably vastly overestimate your ability as a programmer. Either that or you are working on open sores code which is so mind bogglingly awful that generating even a single line is an np hard problem. In the latter then you should probably get a new career anyway.

lol defend your dumb text editor some more except this time be madder about it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

vims good

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I finally met someone who is worse than me at vim :dance:

I mean seriously if you're so bad and use it for years why do you use vim anyway

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I finally met someone who is worse than me at vim :dance:

I mean seriously if you're so bad and use it for years why do you use vim anyway

lot of people at my work just hit i and move around like notepad

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

lol didn't realize atom was written in js. wtf that's like writing a text editor in lisp

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
I don't know what's best, but I know if you like using a mouse when programming I just can't even imagine how broken your brain is.

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

why would you want to program with the ~80 tiny on/off switches of your keyboard, when you could harness the virtually infinite articulation of the human hand by using a mouse?

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
muscle memory?

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
the human eye can move 700 times a second so you should be posting with an on-screen keyboard and a pupil tracker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:nws: https://40.media.tumblr.com/b553b2790d042d771221a4fbcf1f4358/tumblr_nfh6es2V1q1td1aq2o1_r2_1280.jpg

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

thanks

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Finally a good post in this horrid thread

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

well, they're clearly not emacs users, because those definitely aren't stall men!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Marsol0 posted:

lot of people at my work just hit i and move around like notepad

that's fine if you use vim occasionally to make small edits in some file during ssh or whatever

but this guy is like this and vim is his C++ programming station. wtf just use gedit jesus christ

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

I don't know what's best, but I know if you like using a mouse when programming I just can't even imagine how broken your brain is.

i use a trackpad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

well, they're clearly not emacs users, because those definitely aren't stall men!

:cripes:

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Symbolic Butt posted:

that's fine if you use vim occasionally to make small edits in some file during ssh or whatever

but this guy is like this and vim is his C++ programming station. wtf just use gedit jesus christ

the guy at work is a php/python developer, though he says he prefers C

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

heh heh heh

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Symbolic Butt posted:

a shameful c++

but I repeat myself

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
can we talk about emacs in this thtead too

i'm thinking about giving emacs a shot and everyone just keeps saying "org mode!" and i'm looking at org mode and idgi. it's an organizer? who cares??

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'm thinking about giving emacs a shot and everyone just keeps saying "org mode!" and i'm looking at org mode and idgi. it's an organizer? who cares??

Emacs is bad, do not use it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

no. this thread is for discussion of vim. you may create an emacs thread if you like. thanks

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So f and F are for jumping forward backward to a character in the same line, but what about jumping to a character in a previous line?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

emacs is really good.

org mode at its most basic is a way to provide structure to the random crap most people constantly try and keep track of day to day. the stuff that normally ends up on post it notes, or e-mails sent to yourself, or source code snippets with commentary, to-do lists, small spreadsheets, org mode handles all that just by providing a sane place to keep all that poo poo.

i use org mode as an inbox for things to research, an engineering log, my work agenda, meeting notes, etc

it's super good for storing code snippets alongside documentation because you can open the code blocks in the correct mode for the language:

(notice how it exports the results of the code execution to the buffer as well, and is smart enough to turn arrays into tables that the rest of org mode can operate on)

it can export to a variety of doc formats, including publishing entire sets of org files to HTML, it handles images,

it's basically fuckinga wesome and emacs is loving awesome. check out my coc thread if you want help, the community is super nice and emacs lisp is 100000000x better than vimscript

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 29, 2015

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
mods please post the personal information about the individuals in this thread that are making GBS threads the place up regarding loving EMACS, a program that is gay for retards, the epitome of "let's add 'features' instead of functionality" spergs, so i can drive around and show them the light in the form of some hard dick up their EMASSHOLES

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

oh wait hold on, let me just fire up a bloated piece of awful garbage to write code / small notes in

jfc if u r such a douchebag to not use God's Own Text Editor, vi/vim, then :getout: seems to be the only option, maybe to pet island where absolute morons are expected to post

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

Mad About Text Editors

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

du -hast posted:

oh wait hold on, let me just fire up a bloated piece of awful garbage to write code / small notes in

jfc if u r such a douchebag to not use God's Own Text Editor, vi/vim, then :getout: seems to be the only option, maybe to pet island where absolute morons are expected to post

define bloated

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

sorry , what i meant was: you don't know what you're talking about

anytime a "programmer" uses a term like bloated, lightweight, or resource-intensive, it's fairly lol because you know they have no idea what they're talking about and simply have terrible superstitions masking their ignorance

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

horse mans posted:

define bloated

your mom after blowing everyone at EMACScon 2014

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

horse mans posted:

anytime a "programmer" uses a term like bloated, lightweight, or resource-intensive, it's fairly lol because you know they have no idea what they're talking about and simply have terrible superstitions masking their ignorance

a disappointing argument, attack the other person rather than defend the garbage that you use

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

du -hast posted:

a disappointing argument, attack the other person rather than defend the garbage that you use

why would i waste my time defending powerful tools? people who can see that power will be drawn to it, and people who don't will continue banging rocks together, it's no business of mine

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

horse mans posted:

why would i waste my time defending powerful tools? people who can see that power will be drawn to it, and people who don't will continue banging rocks together, it's no business of mine

do use a giant diesel generator to power an electric screwdriver or sth, i mean come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

also as ur post was a High Quality Content Post, i didn't actually intend this tirade at you, but if you insist, bend over

i was more aiming at the male shouegaze type folk, woh wnat to destroy this thread, written about god's own text editor, with their herest

• Locked thread