Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Right. Kick Karol Sienawski to peel potatoes or somethning and get me a decent loader. That Daniel Kowalczyk fellow looks handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

If we're reassunging pixelmans, I'll swap Piotr to Commander then, put Jaropelk on Loader, with August in the Infantry role.

Does Gunner affect the Loader position at all?

Oddly enough, it doesn't. I checked the manual again to see if maybe they had something like "A higher gunnery skill shortens the reload time" but "Loader" comes up once, when describing crew positions. Maybe it does on the backend, but it is never explained :iiam:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Right. Kick Karol Sienawski to peel potatoes or somethning and get me a decent loader. That Daniel Kowalczyk fellow looks handy.

I don't know why, and I don't know how but your crew got renamed. All the stats are the same, and even their portraits stayed the same but the names definitely changed. I feel like I'll be getting a lot of mileage out of :iiam:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'll claim an artillery company, if one's available. The Nine-Gear Crew's reporting for duty, sir! :mil101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Brave men gave their lives for Poland today. :poland:

Also, my god I forgot how the game loves to give you reinforcements. I'm gonna have a lot of images to post...

Would you guys prefer a video that shows off all the crew experience gains or do screenshots work better?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Introduction video

Mission 2: Rising Tide

Results:

Only 1 man from Veloxyll's original crew survived. Surowiec is now very, very experienced and has damaged/killed as many as 10 tanks!

AnilEhilated's crew is still alive, and have started their own kill count.

Sometime during combat, Herp's crew was able to re-christen several members and now they sport new names!

Pierzak lost 5 men in his squad, specifically Ryszard Kaczmarek, Ludwik Fabroski, Karol Praskowski, Ryszard Jachowski and Klemens Dziosek. The rest of the squad earned an average amount of XP.

:poland:
I'm sorry Davin.

Renard Papinski managed to survive his vehicle being knocked out. Stefanciik wasn't so lucky.

Sallyz Krew all assumed new names after today's trial by fire.

Despite the large number of reinforcements we received, neither Ygmir or Bacarruda's tank were called in.

All participants should let me know how they want their crews improved, before Monday, March 2nd 8am EST

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 26, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Renard threw down, that's my boy. Boost the dude's gunnery skills as much as possible.

I need to get back in another retarded TKS/20mm with Renard doing the shooty parts. Please give me a reasonably skilled driver.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Not to get too off topic but, did that intro video really need boobphysics?

Back on point, Do we get to see conventional artillery? I know there are SPGs, but are there towed pieces too? King of battle and all that...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

XxLiveWirexX posted:

Not to get too off topic but, did that intro video really need boobphysics?

Back on point, Do we get to see conventional artillery? I know there are SPGs, but are there towed pieces too? King of battle and all that...

I noticed that when I watched it and I guess they were striving for realism in all things? :shrug: Seriously though, I have no clue.

And we do have artillery. Technically the 75mm guns we have are re-purposed for the anti-tank role but they are first and foremost artillery. Aside from that, there are a handful of actual field artillery in the game that we will eventually come across.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I protest against the use of my TKS as part of a tank formation. It's really a heavily armed reconnaissance vehicle. I really don't want it parked in front of a loving Vickers that everyone is going to shoot at and then hit my guy in the face.

At least Renard threw down. I plan to destroy the entire inventory of TKS/20s by the time this campaign is over.

Edit: The 75mm guns are direct-fire artillery, which is why they are somewhat decent against tanks. We need to get some mortars. Mortars rule.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What do the medals do for my soldiers?

Also, can I requisition a truck to get my tank killer closer to the front before he backs off to try and not get exploded?

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

What do the medals do for my soldiers?

Also, can I requisition a truck to get my tank killer closer to the front before he backs off to try and not get exploded?

Medals and ranks only raise Leadership.

Yeah, it's a little underwhelming.

Edit: High Command will think about your requisition and may bring a truck along if points/placement allows it. Honestly though, we won't have to worry about it too much since the Invasion of Poland is mostly just being defensive. The Polish campaign is also very short. :ssh:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ahh. Okay then.

Jarek is awarded the 400 point Ruby Cross with Pearl Crest and Gold Lightnings for exceptional performance. Remaining XP to gunnery.
Miroslav is awarded the Tin Cross. Remaining points to Gunnery.
Marcin is promoted and awarded the Tin Cross. Remaining points to gunnery

Throw more metal on Jarek if he still has XP left over.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Veloxyll posted:

Ahh. Okay then.

Jarek is awarded the 400 point Ruby Cross with Pearl Crest and Gold Lightnings for exceptional performance. Remaining XP to gunnery.
Miroslav is awarded the Tin Cross. Remaining points to Gunnery.
Marcin is promoted and awarded the Tin Cross. Remaining points to gunnery

Throw more metal on Jarek if he still has XP left over.

That's not just any Ruby Cross!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_White_Eagle_(Poland)

It's the equivalent of the Medal of Honor (I think)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

10 armoured vehicles while his 3 crewmates died. He's earned it!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Renard Papinski still has a lot of points.

Jarek has even more! The Polish government doesn't seem to appreciate decorating soldiers several times in one day, however.

Miroslaw and Marcin close out Veloxyll's crew

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What does Scouting do for me? Would it help Renard identify targets at longer ranges? If not, just put the remaining points to driving.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What does Scouting do for me? Would it help Renard identify targets at longer ranges? If not, just put the remaining points to driving.

In a TKS, the gunner acts as the Commander as well. This also applies to 1 man turrets, or sometimes 2 man turrets.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, let's see. I got kinda confused in the nameswap so you'll excuse me not remembering who does what, anyway, everyone on my crew gets the medal, gunner everything into gunnery, driver everything into drivery, loader everything into... I don't even know what they benefit from so let's say intelligence.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 27, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

Well, let's see. I got kinda confused in the nameswap so you'll excuse me not remembering who does what, anyway, everyone on my crew gets the medal, gunner everything into gunnery, driver everything into drivery, loader everything into... I don't even know what they benefit from so let's say intelligence.

You can't increase intelligence. All you can do is: Driver, Gunner, Scout, Medal, and Rank.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'll trust your judgement w/r/t Sallyz Krew. They're pretty laid back and chill.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
In that case, Rank for the loader. I'll have a general putting shells into the cannon by the end of this!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Before I forget, anilEhilated's crew is from left to right: Driver, Gunner, Loader.

Sallyz Krew has the driver and gunner focus on their abilities while the loader begins to multitask.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In a TKS, the gunner acts as the Commander as well. This also applies to 1 man turrets, or sometimes 2 man turrets.

Give me a few more points of scouting, then.

I would have done leadership/medals had I known the gunner was commander but had I thought about it for any time at all I would have remembered from other 1-man turret designs so whatever. Next time we gently caress up les boches I'll get some medals.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

drat it Polpol! We're fighting a war here! Give Jarek points in scouting next, I guess.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would have done leadership/medals had I known the gunner was commander but had I thought about it for any time at all I would have remembered from other 1-man turret designs so whatever. Next time we gently caress up les boches I'll get some medals.

Well to be fair it's my fault on that one as I forgot to mention it. The Poland campaign is mostly a warmup exercise, and the same will apply to the next one as well. Just looking at the campaign screen, it's pretty easy to tell that the Germans/Russians are the meat and potatoes of this game.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's not just any Ruby Cross!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_White_Eagle_(Poland)

It's the equivalent of the Medal of Honor (I think)

The Virtuti Militari is more of an equivalent to the Medal of Honor. The Order of the White Eagle can be given for peace-time achievements, too, and the Virtuti Militari is solely for heroism in combat.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

szary posted:

The Virtuti Militari is more of an equivalent to the Medal of Honor. The Order of the White Eagle can be given for peace-time achievements, too, and the Virtuti Militari is solely for heroism in combat.

Ahhh, good to know, thanks!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What kind of anti-tank weapons do your infantry have? (If any, since it's 1939.) I assume ATR squad is Anti-Tank Rifle.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

What kind of anti-tank weapons do your infantry have? (If any, since it's 1939.) I assume ATR squad is Anti-Tank Rifle.

Surprisingly, they actually give Polish troops their proper ATR, the kb ppanc wz.35. I know very little about this gun, but it appears to have had a very interesting method of knocking out its target. Usually, rifle caliber anti-tank ammunition had a tungsten or other hard metal(s) rather than a lead core. The difference affects how the kinetic force is transferred from the round to the target.

With a tungsten/hard core, your round is effectively trying to punch through the armor and remain intact, and hopefully damage components inside. With the lead core the round squishes on impact, transferring its kinetic energy over a large circular area, which attempts to spall the armor. Spalling is when a projectile disintegrates on contact with an object and causing fragments to break up and shoot out the other side.

Like so

The Russians get their own ATR and the Germans should have ATRs, Panzerfausts, and Panzershrecks. I believe we may also see PIATs and American Bazookas.

Edit: I should point out that the lead core anti-tank round required a higher muzzle velocity to achieve the same amount of success as tungsten/other types, according to the wiki article.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 28, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Give Przemysl the medal he's got available (and a gunnery boost), allocate XP/replacements according to your judgement.

Also, Jedrzej's stats make me think of him as the awkward nerd no one listens to even though he's always right :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pierzak posted:

Give Przemysl the medal he's got available (and a gunnery boost), allocate XP/replacements according to your judgement.

Will do, but my judgement may just be "have the AI do it" to see how it distributes XP, or maybe just dump thousands of points into scout.

On a random note, I can't recall if mines or rocket artillery is in the game. If they do show up, I'll have some interesting posts for them.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Looks like steam got the entire Theatre of War Collection on sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14301/?snr=1_7_7_weeklongdeals_150_2

Decided to buy it, these sort of games have always peaked my interest but I've never really had a chance to get into them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Situation So Far

"Poland 1939" posted:

During the first two weeks of war the Poles had to cover 50-200 kilometers retreating, having left Poznan and Krakow to the enemy. Warsaw was now in direct danger of attack. Poland was desperately defending, counting upon military actions from England and France against Germany. At the same time, on the East, the USSR Army was getting ready, as it was presented by the Soviet propaganda, for a "liberation campaign, aimed at taking the population of Western Ukraine and Western Belarus under protection," but in fact it was for the occupation of Polish territory.

Written directions of the Command stated that the danger of German tank breakthrough made it necessary to organize the defense of Warsaw from the South, develop the defense of bridges and at the same time take necessary measures for their destruction, if required. Two defensive grounds were established in the Central Vistula: norther - from Modlin to Deblin, and southern - further on to Sandomierz.

The second area that the Polish Command considered to be of the utmost importance was to maintain the southern region, adjacent to the Romanian border, where the General Sosnkowski's Army group was holding ground. The Command order stated: "Sosnkowski's Army group must maintain the eastern Lesser Poland and Romanian border. The Piskor Army should maintain along Vistula from Sandomierz to the mouth of the Wieprz River. The direction of possible retreat was toward Tomaszow Lubelski. The retreat from the Vistula line - towards Wieprz - was under separate order. My intent is to have the Army on this line defending until the Kutrzeba's group makes it through Radom towards Krasnik."

On September 15, von Bock ordered the Commander of the 4th Army to organize an offensive closer to the East with the first objective to get to the line of Volkovysk - Grodno. The 19th Motorized Corps was assigned with the objective to "move towards Wlodawa, Kowal with one Motorized and one Tank Division. One Motorized Division, reinforced by a Tank detachment, under the command of the 4th Army had the goal of reaching via Kobryn and Pruzhany, the line of Baranovichi - Slonim." Thus, the 2nd Motorized Division moved towards Kobryn, and the 3rd Tank Division - towards Wlodawa,which occupied it on September 16th. The vanguards reached Lyuboml and detachments of the 22nd Motorized Corps also reached it from the South.

Having arrived at the Vistula River, the German 14th Army Corps of the 10th Army forces managed to fight through and establish bridgeheads at Deblin and Pulawy. The right-flanked 4th Army Corps conducted a forced crossing of the Vistula at Opole and Annopol and, having occupied Krasnik, moved further to Lublin. The 7th Army Corps occupied Sandomierz, conducted a forced crossing of the Vistula and the San and then moved eastwards.

Poland Campaign - Mission 03

A desperate defense - Briefing

Mission Briefing posted:

The German 3rd Army is making a quick dash across Eastern Poland. Their goal is to push past and outflank our Forces in the North. The Polish High Command has decided to concentrate as many forces as possible in the Southeastern regions of the country. German forces must be prevented from breaking through our front lines.

Your orders are as follows:
-Hold and defend your positions in the area specified.

Current Deployment lineup

Points Remaining: 525

Bacarruda and Ygmir get a by and are automatically placed. It should be noted that Bacarruda's original crew disappeared. I have no clue where they went, but we are given a lovely H35 (Info to be posted later). Ygmir's crew was also lost, so he was given the best E dw crewed tank we have.

:siren:
We have a very limited amount of points. First come, first serve - if I can fit you inside the limit. This is also the last mission in the Polish Campaign.
:siren:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
What is the staff squad for?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Wait, the polish campaign only has three missions?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My crew can't not be there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Can I grab a Wz.38 this time out?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

What is the staff squad for?

Wouldn't be able to tell yeah, to be honest. I tried looking at other campaigns to see if they might have a more clearer difference. Seems they have a better/different mix of units :shrug:. The German Staff Squad I was able to find had a sniper in it, though the Polish one does not. Their stats aren't all that much better either so I'm at a loss here.

Nuramor posted:

Wait, the polish campaign only has three missions?

Yeah :sigh: It is deceptively short. The same will apply to the next campaign, France!.

anilEhilated posted:

My crew can't not be there.

Done

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Can I grab a Wz.38 this time out?

What Wz.38?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Wouldn't be able to tell yeah, to be honest. I tried looking at other campaigns to see if they might have a more clearer difference. Seems they have a better/different mix of units :shrug:. The German Staff Squad I was able to find had a sniper in it, though the Polish one does not. Their stats aren't all that much better either so I'm at a loss here.

What Wz.38?

Oops, Wz36 - Bofors antitank gun

• Locked thread