Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Oops, Wz36 - Bofors antitank gun

Done, but keep in mind that this I probably won't allow this in the later, longer campaigns.

E: For clarification: Upgrades will be kept within their respective unit types.

Points Remaining: 225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Fair enough, I can go back to TKS/20 land if that is better.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fair enough, I can go back to TKS/20 land if that is better.

Nah, don't sweat it. It's the last mission in this campaign so its not going to make a difference afterwards.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Oh wow, the most popular overhaul mod for the Men of War series has a Polish faction and I always just assumed some really dedicated Polish person had spent a lot of time modelling a selection of units... But no, the entire thing is models ripped from this game, plus some French stuff which I assume is going to show up identical in this game too. The games have the same publisher so maybe they got permission :confused:
This does seem like a sort of middle ground between those games and something more serious like Achtung Panzer or Combat Mission. I grabbed them all as part of a publisher pack or something on Steam years ago and never got around to trying them. They look like they might have aged fairly poorly compared to newer games in the MoW/AP/CM series though? Interesting that they made a game based on the Korean War though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I don't think I've ever touched any mods for the Men of War games despite liking a few of them. Can't speak for permissions and such, but I assume they just don't care.

As for comparisons between this and other games? It really does fall in the middle of a lot of series. It doesn't require as much micro-management as Men of War does, isn't as complicated as Combat Mission, and has a very clean UI. It also has a lot of depth with its morale system, weapon systems and "RPG" elements.

As for its age, the graphics certainly come across as dated and, as noted earlier in the thread, infantry and some combat is a little lackluster. I still love it to pieces though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

U|I'll go for the T gun from last time.

Glory to Poland!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Points Remaining: 75

With our remaining points, we can only bring in one more infantry squad, or an armored car or tankette.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
New Equipment for Poland Campaign - Mission 03

Here's what the game has to say about the H35:

"Four Hotchkiss H35 tanks arrived into Poland in 1939."

:effort:

Really dropped the ball on the description for that one. Admittedly, that's not the developers faults but the modders who included it under Poland's equipment section.

Only a very small number of H35's ever made it to Poland, with wikipedia stating as low as 3 examples. Poland's location and the start of conflicts made it hard, if not impossible, to send more/better aid to Poland. As for the tank itself, it sported up to 40mm of armor (In-game 45mm for the turret front + mantlet, can't find a corroborating source) and had a 37mm cannon, with a 7.5mm machine gun. The H35s in French hands were in the process of being upgunned at the start of hostilities but only ~50 were so modified when Germany invaded. Out of the three main cavalry tanks available to the French: the H35, R35, and S35; the H35 was probably the least effective tank. It had worse cross-country capability than its competitors and it was rejected by the infantry for it. It was forced upon the cavalry, because it was deemed they didn't require better cross-country performance. Its armor was decent for its time and was relatively safe against most German anti-tank weapons.

Deadline for last pick is 3pm EST today

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
To heck with it. We're defending, so we need infantry. Give me another ATR squad! One of the ones with all the 3 square guys, maybe!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Poland Campaign - Mission 03

We are defending, once again, and we must hold the line lest we lose this war.

Since it's the last mission in the Polish campaign, the results are at the end of the video. I scroll over everyone, so you just have to pause the video as I don't hover over anyone for too long.

And since this is the last mission, a victory gives us a video I like to call Polend. I have no clue why they thought the video made sense, but it was worth a chuckle or two the first time I saw it.

Coming up next: France 1940

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Did that ending video just imply Poland successfully staved off the entire 2nd world war? :psyduck:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Did that ending video just imply Poland successfully staved off the entire 2nd world war? :psyduck:

Yup! :poland:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, uh, good job Poland? gently caress it, let's get Lithuania back in here and get the commonwealth going again.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Poland Wins 2nd World War!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

Well, uh, good job Poland? gently caress it, let's get Lithuania back in here and get the commonwealth going again.

They tried to get us back in, and not in the pleasant way...

Veloxyll posted:

Poland Wins 2nd World War!

The day we all waited for.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
France 1940 - The situation so far

quote:

On May 14th, the Germans broke through near Sedan. Our troops are not able to resist the combined actions of tanks and dive-bombers and Belgian troops are retreating to defense positions in Antwerp. The British 1st and the 2nd Corps are still retaining positions from Wavre to Louvain where the 3rd Division under the command of General Montgomery is engaged in tough combat. The French 7th Army is reeling back on the seaward flank. In almost all the clashing points the power and rage of German offensive have been irresistible. In the Montherme area, Germans cut through the Maas by throwing ahead two Tank Divisions and capturing the fortified defense positions. For us it is vitally important to re-establish the defense line in this area.

Mission 01 - Lines of Defense

Briefing orders posted:

Your orders are to:
-Eliminate the enemy in the vicinity and re-establish our defense line
-Defend the railway bridge

Current deployment

Current reserves

The game starts us with a full list of units and 0 points remaining, although we may choose to replace/remove some units in order to bring in different/better units. We are limited to having only 4 tanks, 2 armoured cars, and 4 eclaireurs. Removing any eclaireurs means we cannot re-add them to the list. Please select your units before Wednesday March 11

New Equipment for France Campaign - Mission 01

Panhard 178

Built from a refinement of an earlier prototype, the Panhard 178 was a very successful design. It incorporated a 25mm automatic cannon in an armoured turret, as well as a 7.5mm machine gun mounted co-axially. The front hull of the vehicle and the turret were both well armoured at the time with 20 and 26 mm, respectively. Compared to other armoured car designs of that period, the Panhard's firepower was only surpassed by the BA series of AC's built by the Russians, however the Panhard had much better cross-country capabilities due to its all-wheel drive chassis. A little over 500 178's were built and it is reported that the Germans were very keen on capturing as many as they could.

Panhard AMC P16

Designed and built in the early to late 20's, the AMC P16 was a pretty impressive vehicle. sporting a 37mm cannon found on French tanks at the time and being a half-track. The vehicle is actually a Citroen design, and only received the Panhard name due to the engine it used, the Panhard 16. Despite it's cannon, top speed of 50km/h and half-track design, it was considered obsolete years before WW2 had begun and the few that remained during that time were usually in states of repair. Interestingly, the AMC P16 had a series of three drum rollers attached to the front of the vehicle in order for it to climb obstacles up to 50cm high.

Renault AMR 35zt

An upgraded AMR 33, the 35zt came about from a need for more anti-tank capabilities from AMR groups. Consequently, the 35zt was fitted with a 13.2mm which could penetrate up to 20mm of steel at 500m. Even that hadn't been enough, and the 35zt was obsolete by 1936, but led to the ZT2 and ZT3 variants using a 25mm gun. Most 35zt's were destroyed before the end of the Battle of France, and those that managed to survive to be captured were used to tow/transport equipment rather than enter a combat role.

Renault R35

The Renault R35 was a direct competitor to the H35, but necessity and a huge increase in defense spending saw both (Among others) being accepted and produced. Like the H35, the Renault-built tank was produced with over 1200 examples and was used everywhere in France, as well as Syria, Switzerland, Hungary, Romania, and so on. Some captured R35's were converted by the Germans into tank destroyers by removing the turret and building a superstructure on top of the hull.

It should be mentioned that both the R35 and H35 used several cast pieces to form the hull, and both, like many French tank designs, had a one-man turret which significantly overburdened the commander who had to act as commander, gunner, loader and, if installed, radioman.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I want so Eclairleurs.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Give me the Panhard 178

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Might I have Eclairleurs. please.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'll take one of our H35s.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Renault AMR 35zt

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Crews

JcDent's Eclaireurs

Our Eclaireurs all seem pretty average, maybe it's due to their lack of experience?

unwantedplatypus' Panhard 178

Cordeau is the odd one out, but at least he's got a decent gunner skill.

Sad King Billy's Eclaireurs

SKB's Eclaireurs seem a little brighter than most. Also, each Eclaireur squad has one member that only carrier a pistol. I assume this is to simulate an ammunition carrier for the LMG, but it seems odd that he wouldn't have a rifle at the very least.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR's H35

What is it with French gunners?

Bacarruda's AMR 35zt

The trend continues.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
My LMG'r is a genius, hope he lives long enough to get some leadership skills?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sad King Billy posted:

My LMG'r is a genius, hope he lives long enough to get some leadership skills?

He's also got a great first name.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress me, Carriere is a worthless retard.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress me, Carriere is a worthless retard.

Still not as bad as Perret, who can't shoot for poo poo or think his way out of a brown paper bag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bacarruda posted:

Still not as bad as Perret, who can't shoot for poo poo or think his way out of a brown paper bag.

Perret is at least somewhat more intelligent so he has a chance to not be as poo poo. Carriere has staring contests with stuffed animals.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Perret is at least somewhat more intelligent so he has a chance to not be as poo poo. Carriere has staring contests with stuffed animals.

And in classic interwar French military tradition, he's the highest-ranking member of the outfit. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

EggsAisle posted:

And in classic interwar French military tradition, he's the highest-ranking member of the outfit. :v:

The tradition may have continued, straight into my game :ssh: :france:

Next episode should be up tomorrow with live commentary rather than post.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mission 01 - Lines of Defense

Briefing orders posted:

Your orders are to:
-Eliminate the enemy in the vicinity and re-establish our defense line
-Defend the railway bridge

Mission Video

:siren:SPOILERS BELOW:siren:

Results

JcDent's Eclaireurs

unwantedplatypus' Panhard 178

Sad King Billy's Eclaireurs
:france:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR's H35

Bacarruda's AMR 35zt

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 14, 2015

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
The video is set to private?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ha, my gang of idiots did something! :france:

How does the leadership/medals/ranking thing work again?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Morbidmind posted:

The video is set to private?

So it is! Thought I changed that, should be fixed now. Although, I think its still processing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ha, my gang of idiots did something! :france:

How does the leadership/medals/ranking thing work again?

From an earlier post:

quote:

The ‘Leadership’ parameter:

-The ‘Leadership’ of a commander has effect on himself, all his subordinate soldiers and the soldiers who are within visual contact and belong to the same combat arm (infantry, armor...) as the commander;
-The ‘Leadership’ of soldiers within squads or crews has effect on the soldier himself, and nearby comrades-in-arms (of the same combat arm).
-The ‘Leadership’ of a tank commander has effect on visibility range and spotting of enemies.

The tank commander’s ‘Leadership’ parameter has no influence on the ‘Morale’ of the infantry fighting near the tank and vice versa.

‘Leadership’ only depends on the rank and the combat decorations awarded. Thus, regular soldiers have no ‘Leadership’ whatsoever. The higher the rank, the higher the ‘Leadership’ skill of an officer or NCO. Since a person can only be promoted to a new rank or awarded with decorations after a battle is complete, the ‘Leadership’ parameter cannot change during the battle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks. Let's promote Carriere two ranks and give him a medal. Put the rest to gunnery. Promote Bellerive, give him a medal, and the rest to driving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 13, 2015

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I can't look at the vid for now but please tell me that the demise of my Boys was glorious?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sad King Billy posted:

I can't look at the vid for now but please tell me that the demise of my Boys was glorious?

They were employed in the same French tactics of the day :france:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Video finally up. It only took about 12 hours...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

One of my survivors actually 'damaged' 2. Hooray! Vive la France! Give him ranks. Everything else on everyone is in scouting, yeah? I don't thing gunnery and pilot does anything on infantry.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Survivors/Players please let me know how you want your EXP dolled out before Tuesday, March 17th @ noon EST

Also, starting a vote to see if you guys want to skip to Theatre of War 2 after France (and late war Allies) or play through ToW in its entirety.

The campaign so far

Mission 02: Confrontation

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I say we skip it. I mean, What are the benefits so staying, if any?

• Locked thread