Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I wanted a squad, but I'll take Adrian!

Blind Sally posted:

Sallyz Krew may not be the best, but they have heart, damnit! Also, Nowak is like some sort of soldier philosopher with that INT score.

Yet he got saddled with two barely functional guys.

That German attack in mission. Kind of hard to believe that they're a formidable military threat when their tactics were
1) Charge the trenches
2) Heil Hitler

Only the armored car tried to do some flanking, but, well, it's an armored car.

COULD HAVE USED IT TO SCOUT OUT POLISH POSITIONS!

Oh, and I hope you get far enough for us to get to ToW3 to shoot up some Best Koreans.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nuramor posted:

How are the other ToW games anyway? I looked this one up on Steam and saw there are two more, what are the differences or improvements?

No clue, that's why I'm asking. I just know that one of them is about a war that game makers don't want to do: Korea!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What is the staff squad for?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Well, uh, good job Poland? gently caress it, let's get Lithuania back in here and get the commonwealth going again.

They tried to get us back in, and not in the pleasant way...

Veloxyll posted:

Poland Wins 2nd World War!

The day we all waited for.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I want so Eclairleurs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

One of my survivors actually 'damaged' 2. Hooray! Vive la France! Give him ranks. Everything else on everyone is in scouting, yeah? I don't thing gunnery and pilot does anything on infantry.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I say we skip it. I mean, What are the benefits so staying, if any?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Not criticising you, Jobbo, but God-drat does this game look boring in comparison to say Men of War or CoH. Does it get better in the later games?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MoW in general seems more advanced. The ground is a lot less sparse, so the soldiers have more options than just hugging ground (like hugging shrubs). And there usually seems to be a lot more action going at any time.

What both games have in common is reliance of recrewing stuff with soldiers that are in no possible way trained to use it :D

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So,

1x The Truck
Both x Armored Cars
All x Vickers
2 x 25pdrs.
4 x 6 pdrs.
2 x QF 40mm MK IIIs
4 x Leg Infantry
1 x Inf Command 7/7 Lad Squad
1 x Inf Command 13/13 wtf Squad

JcDent
May 13, 2013

GERMAN STEEHL

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Whoops! Forgot to mention that. It's a Panzer III J but upgraded with a longer barrel. It increases its armor-piercing performance with AP shells, but otherwise it is exactly the same as the shorter-barreled version.

Aw yiss, Pz III!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I enjoyed this moment way too much during recording.

Executing Yankee pig-dogs, I see!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How did I miss the contest, I'll never know.

Also, what do the numbers under tanks in the unit selection mean? Why are they there, not names?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, considering your the first (and only) person to mention the contest, and I still have the bundle, it's yours if you want.

Also, the numbers underneath the tanks in the selection is their unit number. Halftracks, trucks, and the rest also have numbers and those are actually their license plate numbers.

German license plates also made it quite easy to identify who "owned" the vehicle in photos because different branches of the armed forces used different prefixes:
WH - Army
WL - Air Force
WM - Navy
SS - Waffen-SS

Consequently, tanks had a series of numbers to identify which tank they were. The system is actually quite elaborate but the general method was a 3-digit number, the first being Company, then Platoon, and finally Individual. So a tank with the number 213 would be the 2nd Company, 1st Platoon, 3rd Tank. Keep in mind there are many, many variations (Like a 4-digit code that goes back to pre-war numbering or added letters) and it usually required in-depth knowledge of even the smallest variations between individual tank divisions/regiments/etc.

For in-game purposes it doesn't matter. It helps keep track of who's who if you bother to remember the numbers, but as with a few other things it becomes a lot more useful in the sequel - Kursk 1943.

Free stuff? Yes please my email is my nickname @ gmail.com. Does it have multiplayer?

Seeing how soldiers are hitting the floor with alarming regularity, I don't know why you'd be bothering with XP or remembering names. Also, writing out the unit numbers in unit selection is so weird.

Also, what does "W" stand for in the license plates?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I thought Wehrmacht was with a V, my bad!

Can't wait to see how 3 sucks!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

AW YEAH, LOOT!

1x Infantry and 1x Sniper in the looted halftrack (130)
1x Infantry in a Hanomag (125)
1x Anti-Tank and 1xHwy Anti-Tank in the other Hanomag (195)
2x PzIV (800)
1x lamer PzIV (345)
1xPzIII (330)
2x Yankee Pig-Dog 105mm guns (400)
1x Heavy Armored Car (120)
1x AA truck (180)

25 points left, if math doesn't fail me.

When I did my horrible, abortive Warfare LP, my goal was to take as much looted stuff as possible.

And, oh, the dramatic, humanizing Russian writing!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So they don't replenish ammo at all, or just don't replenish ammo for the captured guns?

Ah, well, Heavy Recon explodes just as well as light recon does, I think, and AA can always be pressed into an anti-infantry role.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nuramor posted:

Kinda disappointed we still don't get any Tigers.

4 * Pz IV F2
2 * 7.5 cm Artillery
4 * Infantry
1 * Sdkfz. 222

for 2250 Points.

Can't disagree with that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, and one more thing: I love how soldiers have moral(e) in the game. That's the one thing that fearless comrades in Men of War lack.

After Company of Heroes, I sneer, sneer at any game without morale, cover and squad mechanics.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, true. Fire should be less accurate in game, no?

ToW infantry could use more dynamic AI or something, so that they would go to ground by themselves, and maybe move intelligently.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

3 x Inf at 150
1 x Sniper at 40
2 x Hanomags for Infantry at 180
1 x Small-o-Mag for Sniper at 65
2 x Infantry guns at 360
1 x AA at 150
1 x Small Recon at 90
2 x Tigers (the 811 and 813) at 1800
1 x PzIV at 400
1 x PZ I at 180

Should be 3405

For all its flaws, Tiger is an extremely sexy machine.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Screw it, I want to see 8 million bayonets and dinky tanks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2 x Autoblinda (we only have one of each, right?) 180
4 x M13s
2 x TDs, so Semoventes? 400
2 x Infantry 100
2 x AT infantry 120

...am I bad at maths, or is it almost impossible to hit 2000?

Also, that infantry in trenches would probably survive a lot better if they felt any need to crouch or go prone once the shells start falling.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

With our current equipment, yeah, it's impossible to hit 2000. The AT infantry is just 10 more, and the captured Daimler wouldn't put us in the red either.

As for infantry in trenches, they do crouch but it seems to be random, although they seem more likely to hunker down when under fire.

Oh Italy.

Maybe one day I'll do an LP To The Past of Battle academy, where you whack italians about with Matildas and stuff

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Combat Mission: Fortress Italy :getin:

Hey, I'm not made from money, you know!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2x infantry squads 100
2x AT squads 120
2x Semoventes 400
2x Pak 5cm 220
2x Pak 3.7cm 150
2x The Better Tanks 540

Italy: failing at everything, including points.

Grog game talk: bought Graviteam Tactics yesterday. 53 minutes in, haven't killed any Russian, but "wire communication" has been established whatever that means.

I'd probably try and ford Korea again, but that campaign generator just rubs me wrong.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So just like Theatre of War? :v:

So what game doesn't have lovely infantry modeling?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Triple A posted:

Close Combat?

Well, in all fairness, I picked up Gravitieam for the Cold War DlCs, so I'm kind of hosed, anyways.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So,

4x Semovente (800)
5x Expensive Tank (1350)
4x Infantry (200)
2x Armored Car (180)

And that's all?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Which mission didn't end with 70-90% casualties?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

A Quora effortpost on why Jobbo is having so little fun.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Russians feed on masochism, I guess.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2 x Better tanks 540
2 x Semoventes 400
1 x Flak88 200
1 x Pak38 110
4 x Infantry 200

And points to spare, since Italian missions suck.

We make a good team, Jobbo. I love building lists (tho not thinking very deep about them), you like taking them to the field.

But this game doesn't let you do joke lists, now does it?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Honestly, Africa 1943's biggest downside is that its not Kursk 1943. And it could've used polishing. At least the Polish campaign was short, so any lack of offensive or defensive capabilities was hardly felt; the Italians on the other hand have the longest campaign we've seen to date and a deceptively small selection of equipment to choose from.

As for Kursk, it has so many quality of life improvements that I could be getting swamped by legions of KV-2's and still have a better time than what I'm going through with the Italians. That being said, I believe there will be one glaring issue with Kursk but I don't want to spoil it for myself until we see that game in action.

Italy!

I actually tried playing Heart of Iron 3 as them to see if having me - a guy who has never finished a game of HoI - instead of Mussolini would help Germany. Took over most of the Balkans, Greece and Krete, but then RN and the French pushed my poo poo in, and I got the ol' "I could be doing more worthwhile stuff" instead feeling.

Here's hoping for HoI4

EDIT: I only recently realized that Wargame doesn't have infantry mortars either, but that game doesn't have much in the way of support weapons in general (the USSR somehow get Grenade MG squad for some reason). Of course, if you want tiny manz with all the support option, you play Men of War and lament them going Assault Squad silly instead of actual campaign missions. The Crete/Krete paradrop in the first game is my fav mission by far.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 4, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

With the added bonus of inflated prices and circa 2000 websites!

EDIT:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 4, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2 x lovely Italian tanks 540
4 x Somoventes (I only like them because of StuG bias) 800
2 x Pak38 220
2 x Flak44 400
4 x GroPos... infantry 200

Can you even complete missions if you're not taking the most expensive, top of the line stuff?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

6 x infantry
4 x all our AT guns

I have stopped following the storyline a long time ago. Hell, I barely register this being WWII

JcDent
May 13, 2013

2A cos I'm wehraboo or smth.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cheese it to win seems a part of every mission, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sounds rad, maybe I should actually instal this one!

Also, lol @4 SdKfz 222

Those recon units have no suvivability if this LP and my brief tryst with ToW3 has taught me anything,

• Locked thread