Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

we use activecollab for our technical and non technical projects. it sucks but can't find anything better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sage 300

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

another vote for excel here, except make sure it is fully distributed and there isn't any sort of old fashioned 'master' spreadsheet

also no one except new hires should even look at the bug tracker

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i do all my gantt charts in glorious MS Project '98 OP

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

bobbilljim posted:

i do all my gantt charts in glorious MS Project '98 OP

i know a construction management company that still to this day uses that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

no joke our pm team track their poo poo in powerpoint. it's hilarious.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

i could say a lot of bad things about asana but i won't because at least it's fast

jira is ent software

why yes i would like to take 5 seconds to contemplate where i'm going, where we're all going, while i wait for the thing i clicked to display any useful information

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
jira agile :barf:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just email me your status reports, I'll compare them to what's on my whiteboard (DO NOT ERASE) and collate a message to the team.

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

i use basecamp op, its p easy to use

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

is producteev any good?

basecamp is good but it seems like its not well Suited to My Needs, i gotta be able to have separate pages and projects for each client and afaik it dont do dat

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
my old company got their PMs from the sales force when they didn't make their target because it was too hard to make them redundant. they used MS Project. good times

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm curious, what's the most enterprise-y of enterprise project management software packages and does it have the words "oracle" or "sap" in its name?

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

we use jira and it seems pretty fine. I mostly just file bugs and tasks in it and the PM who actually knows how to use it buckets things into sprints. I feel like a good reason to hate jira is that its built to suit just about any model of project management and so its really easy to be inconsistent but idk suits my needs

also it is slow

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

we used JIRA at my dumb game job and it was crazy

first of all they had at least 2 different installs of JIRA. apparently they could link together somehow, but one was a different version with different settings and stuff.

it was really slow and we had to set up our dashboards so none of the widgets automatically refreshed cause apparently that really taxed the server. it went down all the time or took 5 minutes to load a page for hours at a time.

they also had zero integrations and everything was through email. so no Slack notifications or GitHub integration, so once you push a change, you have to go manually leave comment, which is usually just "done". as a QA we had not access to their git messages or anything so had no idea if the dev was really done or did the right thing or how they fixed/made it.

i asked them to let us get the web hooks so we could get notifications and things and the answer was flat-out "no", because "it would have to be company wide, we'd have to get everyone to use the same service and pay for it" which makes no sense to me.

apparently they switched from another app years ago. i asked why, assuming some super nerd wanted the 10,000 Power User features and depth that JIRA has but nope, it was just cheaper.

seriously can you imagine not at least integrating your version control thing with it, i mean why not just use a whiteboard at that point.

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

seriously can you imagine not at least integrating your version control thing with it, i mean why not just use a whiteboard at that point.

just realized we attach commits to JIRA tickets using a custom git hook script :negative:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
redmine is far superior to JIRA, at least for what i do

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

redmine is far superior to JIRA, at least for what i do

didn't realize you needed a ticket manager to make lovely posts

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
excel works up until a point until someone like me comes along charged with centralizing your project management and it's revealed you all have your own bespoke loving sheets and half of what happens still relies on stuff you "just know" and it's actually a miracle anything has been getting done.

i have had nightmares about trying to harmonize sheets into a system within single departments, let alone big companies.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

didn't realize you needed a ticket manager to make lovely posts

i don't think you understand the scale of his shitposting operation

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

gant charts and projects but im not in IT

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

libreplan :xd:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im only a poor student, but my weekly meetings with my project supervisor is the most stressful part of the week. and depending on how it goes it can put me in a bad mood for half the week, and then the other half of the week is spent worrying about the next one

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
you don't even know what stress is yet :3:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BooLoo posted:

you don't even know what stress is yet :3:

thankfully, that big bad world is scary

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the project managers at my job are worthless. they always want to put everything in a spreadsheet. all our stuff is in gitlab's issue tracker already, so we are like "hey man, we've given you access to the issue tracker where we log everything we've done and what we're going to do next", and they're like "ok maan tell me the things and I will put it in the spreadsheet." *stereotypical indian head bobbing*. they're completely detached from the whole process.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

The Management posted:

just email me your status reports, I'll compare them to what's on my whiteboard (DO NOT ERASE) and collate a message to the team.

that's how oldjob worked, except also with 3 monitor wide excel sheets

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I use basecamp and set grp calendar checkpoints and poo poo in ms exchange

Basecamp is pretty handy I like it alot

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
the people who work for me are actual professional adults and thus i do not need to babysit them to get projects done. i handle the meetings with the customers and other stakeholders and leave them to do real work

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My company is starting to migrate over to jive now though for some loving reason and they want me running projects through jive by creating creating new grps per project and using the action and task function to assign poo poo to do and track progress. They also want documents n pdfs n forms uploaded so there are like a trillion files floating around a project grp which fuckin sucks but at least they are all synced bc we have jive for ms office now and we can collaborate on documents and stuff and keep everyone on the most updated version of things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

the people who work for me are actual professional adults and thus i do not need to babysit them to get projects done. i handle the meetings with the customers and other stakeholders and leave them to do real work

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Waroduce posted:

My company is starting to migrate over to jive now though for some loving reason and they want me running projects through jive by creating creating new grps per project and using the action and task function to assign poo poo to do and track progress. They also want documents n pdfs n forms uploaded so there are like a trillion files floating around a project grp which fuckin sucks but at least they are all synced bc we have jive for ms office now and we can collaborate on documents and stuff and keep everyone on the most updated version of things

so what's the story behind that redtext

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh you're someone who whines about "sjws" lol out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we use jira (some depts use scrum, we actually use kanban style) and it is not bad. I've used worse.

worst was the in-house that the old dialup ISP rolled. ohgod

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
Are all the people saying excel referring to a file that gets emailed around, or does excel have some kind of functioning cloud storage/collaborative editing thing nowadays?

context: we use gdocs for basically everything. boss still uses excel for tracking whatever he wants personally, but at least he doesn't inflict it on the rest of us.

e: is the jira kanban thing any/wildly different then the sprint board you get with Jira Agile? I've never officially done kanban but from what I can tell it's the same thing?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wells posted:

Are all the people saying excel referring to a file that gets emailed around, or does excel have some kind of functioning cloud storage/collaborative editing thing nowadays?

context: we use gdocs for basically everything. boss still uses excel for tracking whatever he wants personally, but at least he doesn't inflict it on the rest of us.

e: is the jira kanban thing any/wildly different then the sprint board you get with Jira Agile? I've never officially done kanban but from what I can tell it's the same thing?

same

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Wells posted:

cloud sharing through hosted sharepoint is fully integrated into office 2013

no one uses it if they have a choice

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Wells posted:

managers just had a big excel file for each project that they rarely if ever shared with anyone below them, but that was how they tracked things.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

our management excel sheets get thrown into svn along with literally everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
just put every task you want ppl to do into a redmine db

• Locked thread