Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
I'm working on a simple messaging app.
The basic idea is to allow people to send short prefab messages to each other. Kind of like the "Yo" app but with (a little) more flexibility.

It's supposed to be a lighthearted fun app but my partners and I have been arguing about the name so I figured I'd toss it up here and see what sticks.

The current top contenders are:
"Partytime" and
"bokbok" (possibly with a cartoon chicken as the mascot)

Alternate spellings, capitalizations etc. are all on the table.

Tell me what you think about these names.

Do you like one better than the other?
What do these names make you think of? (particularly in the context of the app as described)
Do you have a better name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
weinerchop

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I like bokbok, especially with a chicken. It just sounds better to a person who has no marketing experience (me). Neither really describe what your app does, and partytime evokes images that don't really make me think of a messaging app, so in a way that's worse than bokbok which doesn't evoke any images at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I feel like if there is an app named bokbok with a picture of a chicken, and it's only like .99, probably a lot of people are gonna buy it just based on that alone, regardless of what it actually does.

but I mean it has to be a pretty good picture of a chicken. choose your chicken well.

edit: thinking about it, an app called bokbok with a picture of a chicken, where the whole app is just a button you press to make the "bokbok" sound, would be better and more successful than the actual app you have planned, so do that instead. Maybe with a premium version you get a better variety of "bokbok" sounds including the :doink: as well

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 23, 2015

Mondo Wav
Mar 4, 2004

bokbok is a cool name. Keep the functionality simple. Focus on the UI. Yik Yak has 75 million in funding because of the cute spinning yak animation when you refresh your feed.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Would you be willing to share an example or two of the prefab messages? Is it like candy hearts type things (UR HOT) or catchphrases or something? I'm having a hard time thinking of something I would want to send someone over an app versus a text message, unless the messages or delivery themselves are really cute or funny.

Yo is funny because it's dumb enough to be funny. If there was a chicken on my screen bokking a message at me, would it be like "you're my prized hen" and chicken related stuff? Or just "did you know the biggest ball of twine is in Minnesota?" Bok Bok!

Obviously my vote is for BokBok. It sounds cuter and more fun than Partytime. I would want to look at it and see what it does. With the latter I would feel like it would be a map to all the frat houses hosting parties that night.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
The turkish word for poo poo is bok. Keep that in mind

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

I couldn't get my partners to go for it. But it's not a terrible idea.

This app would give you an convenient way to send someone an animation of a hotdog getting chopped in half by a clever.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Koivunen posted:

Would you be willing to share an example or two of the prefab messages? Is it like candy hearts type things (UR HOT) or catchphrases or something? I'm having a hard time thinking of something I would want to send someone over an app versus a text message, unless the messages or delivery themselves are really cute or funny.

Yo is funny because it's dumb enough to be funny. If there was a chicken on my screen bokking a message at me, would it be like "you're my prized hen" and chicken related stuff? Or just "did you know the biggest ball of twine is in Minnesota?" Bok Bok!

Obviously my vote is for BokBok. It sounds cuter and more fun than Partytime. I would want to look at it and see what it does. With the latter I would feel like it would be a map to all the frat houses hosting parties that night.

Messages would be a short animation (like a few seconds on a loop) and some sound.
Examples might be thing like a bobbing chicken and a bokbok sound.
Or a caveman eating a chicken leg with a sound that say "chowtime".
If I can come up with a good one we'll probably do some sort of SA related one but if we get to the point where it's about to start taking off I'll probably open it up as a contest or something.

We're thinking of it along the lines of animated memes but shrunk down so they fit on mobile devices.

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Partytime really doesn't sound like a simple messaging app for me. More like something I'd see in my spam email folder.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Aix posted:

Interesting.
What sort of connotation does it have?
Is it more clinical?
Is it more like saying that something is bad?
Or is it more like saying "Oh no!".

Would it be something that turkish people would be embarrassed to hear/say or is it the kind of thing you say when you're trying to be a badass? Or would it make people laugh?

Does doubling it have any particular connotation?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Thanks for all the advice so far.

It's easy for my partners and me to get a bit of tunnel vision on stuff like names and it's great to have a fresh perspective.

Pat Fenis
Nov 14, 2013

I'd probably buy an app called bokbok with a heavy chicken theme. Look how well Talking Tom Cat did.

Different application obviously, but people love to spend money on funny animals. And the chicken is up near the top of the funny animal list.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

SeventhUncle posted:

Interesting.
What sort of connotation does it have?
Is it more clinical?
Is it more like saying that something is bad?
Or is it more like saying "Oh no!".

Would it be something that turkish people would be embarrassed to hear/say or is it the kind of thing you say when you're trying to be a badass? Or would it make people laugh?

Does doubling it have any particular connotation?

It is really is the same as the english word poo poo. So you would be calling your app "shitshit"

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Go whole hog and just call it "shitshit"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Aix posted:

I vote for bokbok

EDIT: bukbuk?

buk is also some kind of russian missile. So... make the logo a chicken strapped to a missile or something

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

SwissCM posted:

I vote for bokbok

EDIT: bukbuk?

buk is also some kind of russian missile. So... make the logo a chicken strapped to a missile or something

That's a spelling I've considered too.
Also bawkbawk.
But I like the 3 letter versions better for the sake of simplicity and lazy spelling.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's also easier to look at than bawkbawk

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SeventhUncle posted:

"Partytime"

Who came up with this because they should be fired

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I like bokbok but only if the icon art was a cute chicken yelling at me :3:

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Are you going to have premade video memes? I'm thinking like 3 second videos like Nerds! from Revenge of the Nerds or D'oh! from Simpsons that people would enjoy using. Like forum posting but in real phone life.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Bokbok for sure. Do they even have smartphones in Turkey?

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Are you going to have premade video memes? I'm thinking like 3 second videos like Nerds! from Revenge of the Nerds or D'oh! from Simpsons that people would enjoy using. Like forum posting but in real phone life.

We weren't thinking of those two in particular but that's the basic idea.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Chatslap, With an animated talking hand instead of a chicken. Maybe a baby hand.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
What about balkbalk instead, you could really corner the baseball market.
BalkBalk

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

Chatslap, With an animated talking hand instead of a chicken. Maybe a baby hand.

The name is pretty cool but it's not really a chat app.
I'm going to keep that in mind if we do end up doing a chat app in the future though.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

brb, buying up all domains related to bokbok.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Astonishing Wang posted:

The name is pretty cool but it's not really a chat app.
I'm going to keep that in mind if we do end up doing a chat app in the future though.

Damnit. I don't know how that happened. I'm gonna go ahead and blame Windows.

SeventhUncle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 27, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
You should make an app to repost the same message to the forums every few hours. ::v:

Seriously, how did you manage a double-post with a multiple hour gap?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

surc posted:

brb, buying up all domains related to bokbok.

diiiiiick....

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007
Google'd BokBok, this was the 5th result

http://www.bokbokapp.com/

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
go with cluckr imo

I liked "bokbok" a lot, but if there's already an app with that name, it's probably wise to pick a different one. Moo, oink, bark, woof, and gobble lend themselves to cute animal icons. Plus gay guys say "woof" and "oink" (but definitely not bark) to compliment each other, because we are gross. A couple of different guys I've hooked up with had all kinds of weird, innocuous pig paraphernalia in their houses. My boyfriend's ex's facebook last name is "Muttz," and basically all his friends have weird doggy variations on their names. I hooked up with a guy who legally changed his name to Wolfer. I've been on large, popular gay hookup sites where the equivalent to a wink was an "oink" or a "woof."

If you want to go "golly gee why is our app so popular with all these promiscuous gay guys," I'd go with some variation on woof or oink.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

kidhash posted:

Google'd BokBok, this was the 5th result

http://www.bokbokapp.com/

Yeah. I saw that.
In theory we're different enough that it doesn't matter.

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

it is posted:

go with cluckr imo

I liked "bokbok" a lot, but if there's already an app with that name, it's probably wise to pick a different one. Moo, oink, bark, woof, and gobble lend themselves to cute animal icons. Plus gay guys say "woof" and "oink" (but definitely not bark) to compliment each other, because we are gross. A couple of different guys I've hooked up with had all kinds of weird, innocuous pig paraphernalia in their houses. My boyfriend's ex's facebook last name is "Muttz," and basically all his friends have weird doggy variations on their names. I hooked up with a guy who legally changed his name to Wolfer. I've been on large, popular gay hookup sites where the equivalent to a wink was an "oink" or a "woof."

If you want to go "golly gee why is our app so popular with all these promiscuous gay guys," I'd go with some variation on woof or oink.

I've never heard anyone (gay or otherwise) say any of those things as a compliment.
Is this part of some super secret language that gay guys keep on the DL around straight guys? Are you going to get in trouble for telling me?

On a more serious note, why not "bark"?

At the very least we're gonna have to add those as messages. Is there a particular image or animation that would go with "woof" or "oink" if you were going to use it as a compliment? Would a silly cartoon dog/pig work?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

SeventhUncle posted:

I've never heard anyone (gay or otherwise) say any of those things as a compliment.
Is this part of some super secret language that gay guys keep on the DL around straight guys? Are you going to get in trouble for telling me?

On a more serious note, why not "bark"?

At the very least we're gonna have to add those as messages. Is there a particular image or animation that would go with "woof" or "oink" if you were going to use it as a compliment? Would a silly cartoon dog/pig work?

Haha it's just ~*~gayworld~*~ I wouldn't worry about it.

"Bark" just isn't a word that means that, really. It would be like if someone tried to say "you're overheating" when they meant "you're hot." It's a synonym that doesn't mean the same thing in that context.

Also nah, just a cute cartoon pig or dog would work. I feel like a pig going "oink" is a much stronger signal than a dog going "woof," but that may be regional/whatever.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Coffee Wolf posted:

What about balkbalk instead, you could really corner the baseball market.
BalkBalk

My brain initially read this as "ballsack." FWIW.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Koivunen posted:

My brain initially read this as "ballsack." FWIW.

Could be a Grindr companion app I guess.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
can you write a message or do you just send meaningless little pictures instead of having a real conversation? It sounds sorta useless.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

zVxTeflon posted:

SeventhUncle posted:

"Partytime" and

Who came up with this because they should be fired

Probably these guys:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014

Nierbo posted:

... It sounds sorta useless.

Then everything is going according to plan.

• Locked thread