Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
voxnix
Oct 5, 2005

A guy walked up to me and said “I'm a teepee, I'm a wigwam, I'm a teepee, I'm a wigwam!” and I said “Relax man, you're too tense!”
FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a single straight white male.

"The initialism LGBT is intended to emphasize a diversity of sexuality and gender identity-based cultures and is sometimes used to refer to anyone who is non-heterosexual or non-cisgender instead of exclusively to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender"

I have a few questions:

Are Ls and Gs okay with being grouped together? I know we call them all "gay", but is that fair?

What about Bs? What about Ts? Are they "gay"?

DID I MISUSE MY APOSTROPHES? OH GOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Boy D&D has a lot of quality threads lately

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
You can't be gay and lesbian at the same time. the grand gay caucus of 2007 Ruled this unanimously and it was confirmed by the Second International Lesbian Alliance. This is basic LGBTQ lore, I don't know why you started a thread if you haven't done you're basic research, op.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
umm its LGBTQIA+ these days op, you should check out the tumblesphere and then get down with the program

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
A) This post was awful

B) The LGBT grouping arose primarily as a political coalition following the Stonewall Riots for more effective advocacy. However there is an obvious solidarity between the groups because of a shared history of oppression and the roots of that oppression being in state and societal policing of conformity in gender and sexuality. A heterosexual trans woman likes the same biological sex as her as much as a gay man does. Many gay men perform gender in a more feminine manner and are discriminated against because of their feminine presentation, not solely because they are attracted to the same sex. However, LGBT is not a fully cohesive group, for instance there is significant bisexual erasure, or denying that bisexuality is actually a thing, in the gay community and historically there has been significant disagreement within the community about what rights or policies to advocate for or what the appropriate tactics are.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Sinding Johansson posted:

umm its LGBTQIA+ these days op, you should check out the tumblesphere and then get down with the program

That's only adopted by a part of post-schism Affirmative Queerdom. The other part of Affirmative Queerdom uses QUILTBAG, while Orthodox Queerdom uses LGBT or LGBTQ.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Or bypass everything and use GSM. (Gender & Sexual Minorities)

voxnix
Oct 5, 2005

A guy walked up to me and said “I'm a teepee, I'm a wigwam, I'm a teepee, I'm a wigwam!” and I said “Relax man, you're too tense!”

7c Nickel posted:

Or bypass everything and use GSM. (Gender & Sexual Minorities)

That's what I'm asking!

Are Lesbian women okay with being associated or grouped with Gay men? Or do they want to be identified separately?

If I call a lesbian a "gay woman", am I being offensive?

SHOULD I CAPITALIZE "LESBIAN" OR "GAY" HELP

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rodatose posted:

That's only adopted by a part of post-schism Affirmative Queerdom. The other part of Affirmative Queerdom uses QUILTBAG, while Orthodox Queerdom uses LGBT or LGBTQ.

Is that Orthodox Queerdom pre-schism of 1997 or post-schism?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

My gay friends and I prefer to use the umbrella term 'queer'.

voxnix
Oct 5, 2005

Raere posted:

Why?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it's pronounced "legbat"

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Pope Guilty posted:

Is that Orthodox Queerdom pre-schism of 1997 or post-schism?

There was no schism. Anyone who even starts to talk about a schism can't be considered orthodox, or even queer, or even a human being who shouldn't be tied to a pole in the public square and executed by garrote

voxnix
Oct 5, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

A) This post was awful

B) The LGBT grouping arose primarily as a political coalition following the Stonewall Riots for more effective advocacy. However there is an obvious solidarity between the groups because of a shared history of oppression and the roots of that oppression being in state and societal policing of conformity in gender and sexuality. A heterosexual trans woman likes the same biological sex as her as much as a gay man does. Many gay men perform gender in a more feminine manner and are discriminated against because of their feminine presentation, not solely because they are attracted to the same sex. However, LGBT is not a fully cohesive group, for instance there is significant bisexual erasure, or denying that bisexuality is actually a thing, in the gay community and historically there has been significant disagreement within the community about what rights or policies to advocate for or what the appropriate tactics are.

A) Fair enough.

B) Should I add that to the OP? That's pretty much what I'd like to discuss!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
You're searching for the word 'intersectionality', OP, and there's like a zillion articles and papers written on it, some of them even good.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

voxnix posted:

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm a single straight white male.

good for you op

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We prefer the term fagnuts actually.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

voxnix posted:

That's what I'm asking!

Are Lesbian women okay with being associated or grouped with Gay men? Or do they want to be identified separately?

If I call a lesbian a "gay woman", am I being offensive?

SHOULD I CAPITALIZE "LESBIAN" OR "GAY" HELP

There are certain things that are particular to one intersection.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

it's pronounced "legbat"

giblet

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
itym quiltbag eqeta

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Raere posted:

i prefer using queer in polite company too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm curious, why did you come out of posting retirement for this OP? Anyway, there are already threads elsewhere on the forums for you to talk about LGBTTIQQ2SAA issues, hopefully in a less insane way haha.

• Locked thread