Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Thanks TMB, I was gonna wait for the new thread to say hi, but since you mentioned me, may as well speak up.

AlleyViper posted:

Wait, is Santa Cruz a new city or did I somehow never notice it?

I haven't played in two years and change, but I'd never seen it before this morning.

Also, I'm probably going to have to push him on a pubbie but if anyone has interest in Stephen Patton, he's probably going to be non-tendered. Other than situations like that, I'm going to be cautious about trades until WIS gives more information on how they plan to screw $0 advance owners. No harm in TC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The whole point of knowing prospects' current ratings is just to infer their ceiling, though. No one gives a poo poo what some prospect's RL stats are gonna look like. The point of knowing their current is so you can ballpark whether they're ML capable independent of what your scouts are telling you about their ceiling. That's exactly what WiS is trying to stop.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Scrotos posted:

Right but what I am saying is make their currents and their ceiling dependent on how well you paid your scouts. So like if you have 0/0 hs/college then not only will you get laughably wrong projections, you will get laughably wrong currents. It makes sense that bad scouts would judge current just as badly as they would judge potential.

I think if you have 0/0 hs/col then you should get no projections at all. No scouting = no draft. Apart from that I agree with you, and that may be where all this ends up in the end. I really think splitting draft scouting into hs/col is too fine of a granularity - just make a bucket for draft scouting and another bucket for international scouting and be done with it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

It's hugely important in the upper half of the first round when deciding how to rank your board matters. I've got two hitters on my Clemens* board right now, a 19 year old projected for 81/74/48/73/88 and a 22 year old projected for 38/74/81/87/91. Pretty similar quality bats despite the shift between splits and contact. But those are pretty high numbers for a 22 year old player to reach. Where is he starting? Are those splits at 50/55 or are they at 65/70? Without current ratings I probably have to just rank the 19 year old guy higher for no other reason than his age makes him less likely to have unrealistically high projections, where before I could get a gauge on how likely either is to reach their projections and rank accordingly.

I guess I misunderstood. I was under the impression that high scouting budgets would increase both current and projected ratings, so that if you had 20M hs scouting, you'd have accurate current and projected numbers for that 19 year old. Since adv scouting doesn't kick in until someone gets signed, what scouting controls draft current ratings?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

Right now, no budget. There are no current ratings for draftees at all.

I guess that makes sense from a programmatic standpoint (hs/col/intl affect projections only, adv handles all currents), but it really seems like an oversight not to be able to see draft currents.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Yep, it'll be active for Dimaggio S32.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Scrotos posted:

Everyone is afraid to join Jeffs, Tavarin and I's division :smug:

I have no problem with the division, that franchise is an EPA Superfund site.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

nasboat posted:

gently caress uublog

It was Art's old team, he had a tradition to uphold.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

The medical budget for this team is now higher than it's ever been in franchise history.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Also this page will give you a rough idea of what the numbers mean. Like everything else, in general higher numbers are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Scrotos posted:

I do not like the idea of targeting what are believed to be bad owners and purposely trying to take them to the cleaners.

You're making no sense. That's not a bad trade.

Edit: Also for the love of God someone make a new thread. I wasn't around last year so I have no idea what happened in S31 (except that arthur didn't pay any attention to minor league usage, plus he somehow ended up with 10 starting pitchers on the ML roster) so I can't fill in that part, but when I go back six seasons from now to try to figure out why certain things happened the way they did, it's a lot more useful if the threads actually match the seasons they were supposed to cover.

saintonan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread