Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how do we wanna do
keep it swiss
shake it up w/ leagues
View Results

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006
week 5 of thunderdome is about to start and my goal is to have the second tournament get going while the top 8 for the first one runs (so the magic never stopssss)

plan right now is to have tdome 2 be vintage, so i wanted to do an interest check to see how many peeps would be up for playin the format. i know there are some but i want to make sure we'll have enough people to make a real tourney out of it

also Zoness has mentioned to me in irc he thinks that a move to a league system might be a better way to do this in terms of scheduling games (still w/ a single elim bracket at the end of the "season"). i've not run or played any league stuff for magic so i need to do some research on what the deets are here but have people in general been enjoying doing swiss or do you want to shake stuff up?

ty for loving pupkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm in. This or something like it.

Edit: I don't care what we do tournament-wise. I don't know how leagues work. Just tell me whose day to ruin and I'll ruin it.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 24, 2015

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I'm all for playing vintage but don't know poo poo about most the decks, would someone who knows more than me post a good list/rundown on some of the more common decks?

Is there any sort of working hatebears style vintage deck?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
vintage is broadly split into 5 deck groups ("pillars") which have some subdivision

blue decks: oath of druids decks, UR delver, grixis control, mindslaver/welder, and now gifts decks are what i can think of here. monastery mentor is seeing some traction. UR delver plays p fair but the other decks have a bunch of unfair kills.
fish decks: probably closest to hatebears if you want the bears side of thing. noble fish is what comes to mind or merfolk. these use null rod/stony silence maybe to hate out artifact mana
bazaar combo: this is pretty much dredge but you could worldgorger too
ritual combo: the perfect storm or any other stereotypical turn one blow-your-load combo
workshops decks: this is the hate half of hatebears, combos a billion artifact lock pieces with some lodestone golems or forgemaster into blightsteel or whatever

e: http://www.themanadrain.com has some deck discussion and mtgtop8 has lists for vintage now

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I have enjoyed TDOME1 and would eagerly play in TDOME2 almost regardless of format. (I will probably play a clunky incorrect shops brew, because when will I get to do THAT again?) Please find out what a league would be like, then tell us, so I can vote meaningfully.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm all for playing vintage but don't know poo poo about most the decks, would someone who knows more than me post a good list/rundown on some of the more common decks?

Is there any sort of working hatebears style vintage deck?

Yeah. I had moderate success playing this . I can recommend cards, help you make changes, etc.

Common vintage decks:

Oath - I'm going to be a little unfair here, but this is the Sneak and Show of Vintage. Combine Oath with your opponent's creatures or your own Forbidden Orchard, get Griselbrand. I'm sure you can figure out how to win from there. Plays the power 8.

Dredge - This is the Dredge of Vintage. Mull until you have a Bazaar in your hand (using Serum Powders if you have them.) Mull to 1 if you have to. Then if you've not whiffed, which you're something like 93% not to, go off. Plays no power, 4 Bazaars.

Delver (UR or URg) - This is the Delver of vintage. There's not much difference from legacy except you're usually the control deck. The green splash is for some combination of Trygon, Grudge, and/or Nature's Claim. Plays Lotus, Recall, Time Walk, UR Moxen.

Shops (Terra Nova and "Normal") - Turn 1 Trinisphere, live the dream. My weapon of choice, and the preferred deck of the most refined (and handsome) wizards. The usual strategy is win the die roll, lock your opponent out of the game on turn 1 with Sphere effects, Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Wastelands, Lodestone Golems, and Revokers. The usual version uses Forgemaster to combo kill with Blightsteel or Sundering Titan. The Terra Nova version uses man lands and has a much lower curve. Plays 5 Moxen and sometimes Lotus.

Storm - count to 9, cast Tendrils Count to whatever, cast Mind's Desire, probably win. Basically the Storm of vintage. Plays the power 9.

Mono-U Belcher - draw 7s, artifact mana, Tolarian Academy, and Belcher. There's the entire deck. Cast Belcher with infinite fast artifact mana, Belch, hope you don't hit your one land before they die. Plays the power 9.

Grixis control - uses countermagic, tutors, and planeswalkers to control the game. Uses cards like Dack Fayden, Jace, and Goblin Welder to control the board, Mana Drain and Force to control the stack. Sometimes plays Mindslaver for Welder recursion. Plays the power 8.

Hatebears - RW, GW, W, and Naya: use disruptive nerds (Teeg, Thalia, Leonin Arbiter, Mindcensor) Aether Vial, Null Rod/Stony Silence, and land destruction to lock your opponent out of all their dumb, greedy vintage plays. Plays on color Moxen, Lotus.

Fish - see hatebears. Replace disruption with speed (and some more power.) Plays Lotus, Sapphire, Recall, Time Walk.

Blue Angels - I love everything about this deck. UW control with flash flyers. Plays Clique, Resto, and Spirit of the Labyrinth to do dirty things to your opponent. Usually plays some combination of Mindcensor, Teferi, Venser, or Jace. Plays the power 8, sometimes minus Time Walk.

I'm sure I've missed some but I'm on the midnight shift this week so my brain isn't highly functional.

And seriously, everyone who's curious or looking for a deck, go back and watch the VSL from the beginning. There are some great decks, and they give you the full decklists. Everything is available on YouTube and probably Twitch.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 24, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'll probably be down for this, but I'd prefer keeping it swiss. Being in a non-US timezone, having one person I need to schedule a match with is much easier than being online all the time and hoping to catch enough people. Also the time commitment for swiss is pretty light, making people play several matches a week would make it feel more like srs bsns.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I'm in! I say keep it swiss. following tdome1, having missed out on entering, some people appear chronically unavailable. If you do a league where you do 1-2-3 matches a week, it won't make those people less chronically unavailable. It just means everyone passes them for the first couple weeks then you arrive at week 4 or 5 or whatever, and suddenly 20 people need to play the same 4 people and then you have to drop those 4 and thats probably the end of the season going into playoffs. Just make a rule in the swiss that if you miss one weeks matches is fine, two you put up a poll and vote to keep/drop the person, (if they don't voluntarily drop) three and they're auto-dropped.

Hopefully we can avoid this in the next Thunderdome!

LordSaturn posted:

If Pontius Pilate doesn't show up and ask for an extension before the deadline, please consider dropping him. Keeping these guys in the bracket is just dumping byes into the system.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Loving tdome1. And am in for this although have zero interest in vintage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the idea of playing legacy without selling my vital organs. Let's dredge.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I'll play the poo poo out of some mono blue belcher

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
yeah if we did leagues it would be like month rounds or something not weeks. i think the savings would be if you're there one week of the month you can jam all your games then.

i'm on the swiss side of things because it keeps the pace up. it would also be cool if we could set up a feature match each round and get some commentary on it/stream it.

leagues would look like you'd play X best of 3s each month, get points based on your performance. extra matches would net you tiebreaker points but not real points. we'd play however many months and then the top 8 would go to playoffs.

i'm googling around to see if there's a tool to manage that which would probably hammer down some details, i don't want to try to run a league by hand.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm in on this.

I'm playing stone blade, because it looks like it's hey hey, hey hey hey, draw cards errrryday.

my deck

My availability will mostly be Tuesday evenings, and weekends, but I can maybe swing some early evening games through the rest of the week.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
you guys are of course welcome to but you don't need to post decklists i'll put up an official tourney thread to post those in closer to tourney start!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lonely Bridge posted:

I'll play the poo poo out of some mono blue belcher

how does it feel to be a horrible person.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Thanks suicidesteve for posting some lists. I'm a boring rear end that likes hatebears in other formats but I'm interested in the other decks y'all posted. Count me in.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm 110% down. I'll play U/W Flash, but I'm not sure what list yet.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'd be interested, but I would need to find a deck that is suitably jank. Maybe that crazy gush bond deck Bob Maher was playing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
http://vintagesuperleague.com/

Decklists

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I'm in. I missed out on legacy and was super jealous

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

VSL should be on tonight actually for anybody that wants to see what it looks like. They have some really good players in the pool

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

What you're saying is that the vintage meta is 40 percent delver, 20 percent dredge, and 20 percent belcher.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
cool looks like we've def got enough

i'll prob post the thread to officially sign up next week so we can get this poo poo rolling

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm definitely in for this, and I'll play a real deck this time

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

I do like the idea of a league with points or something so we can play freely with each other, even if we sign up times or something like that so that we can play more frequently/missing a week doesn't cause an upset in the system. That said swiss always works fine.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

What you're saying is that the vintage meta is 40 percent delver, 20 percent dredge, and 20 percent belcher.

I don't see most of them keeping their decks for week 2. I know Rich was trying to brew something new - I'm not sure if he ever found something he was happy with.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm totally in but I have no preference between leagues vs. swiss, whichever one lets me jam more games I am in favour of.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
So in.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
I'd do it. Sad i missed legacy, can't wait for this (despite minimal/no experience with vintage)! Disappointed Burn isn't a thing, but it probably won't stop me from trying.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have no idea how to play Vintage but gently caress it I'd be in, only issue is that I'd probably have a hard time carving out time for more than one match each week unless people want to always play me on Sundays.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I'm in as long as my net keeps cooperating. I'll probably be on Noble Fish or Delver but I might run Oathstorm for shits.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

I don't see most of them keeping their decks for week 2. I know Rich was trying to brew something new - I'm not sure if he ever found something he was happy with.

In the VSL they bring 3 decks submitted before it starts. They use one for 3 weeks, then another for 3, then another for the last 3. Then for the finals this time they will bring 3 decks, and have to use them sequentially in best of 5 matches. After match 3 they may freely choose any deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

In the VSL they bring 3 decks submitted before it starts. They use one for 3 weeks, then another for 3, then another for the last 3. Then for the finals this time they will bring 3 decks, and have to use them sequentially in best of 5 matches. After match 3 they may freely choose any deck.

I meant for the 2nd cycle, week 4 (which starts today.) Working midnight to noon does unfortunate things to my brain.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Actually, I was trying to make a joke about the meta being less diverse than standard, based off of a tiny, tiny sample.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kizudarake posted:

Actually, I was trying to make a joke about the meta being less diverse than standard, based off of a tiny, tiny sample.

I know. It is a really undiverse meta for some reason these first few weeks, but I'd bet it'll open up more in these weeks between Gifts and FRF.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

I know. It is a really undiverse meta for some reason these first few weeks, but I'd bet it'll open up more in these weeks between Gifts and FRF.

a bunch of players going to the PT and the format getting the shakeup w/ cruise restricted and gifts unrestricted made them pretty conservative i think

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
I'm in.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

This seems fun. I'm in. I couldn't know less about vintage, so I've got some VSL to watch. Long live the Thunderdome!

Also big thanks to gang sines for being fantastic and setting all of this up. He is a true Road Warrior.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Im down, though my experience with vintage pretty much starts with watching VSL and ends with minimal dabbling on MTGO (I have no idea what I'm doing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Starving Autist posted:

Im down, though my experience with vintage pretty much starts with watching VSL and ends with minimal dabbling on MTGO (I have no idea what I'm doing).

I only watch the VSL. I know two things. 1. whomever play blue belcher is a dick. 2. I won't be that guy.

• Locked thread