Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

jonathan posted:

Apparently I don't know the difference between Andy Dick, Pauly or Spade

one of them -- andy dick -- is the biggest trashy rear end in a top hat on the planet. hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

jonathan posted:

Apparently I don't know the difference between Andy Dick, Pauly or Spade

Andy Dick allegedly kicked off the chain of events that led to Phil Hartman's death and plays up the fact that he's extremely trashy and easy to hate in order to keep the spotlight near him. Pauly Shore is just one of those greasy LA weirdos who made some schlock back in the early 90s yet inspires some serious hate from some people. Spade is like the textbook definition of what you'd expect a prick to look/act like, although allegedly he's pretty decent in real life.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

mind the walrus posted:

Andy Dick allegedly kicked off the chain of events that led to Phil Hartman's death

Didn't he give Phil's wife some drugs when she had quit but was still pretty unstable? Something to that effect. Dude needs to be shot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

epsilon posted:

Didn't he give Phil's wife some drugs when she had quit but was still pretty unstable? Something to that effect. Dude needs to be shot.

That's the story, but I don't think there's really hard evidence that he did or that if he did it was the contributing factor for Hartman's wife going off the rails and killing Phil and herself although it certainly would have been a major contributing factor.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i listen to a lot of podcasts at work and it seems like every comedian and celebrity -- no matter how unrelated they may seem -- has an "Andy Dick is a piece of poo poo" story.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

That's the story, but I don't think there's really hard evidence that he did or that if he did it was the contributing factor for Hartman's wife going off the rails and killing Phil and herself although it certainly would have been a major contributing factor.

He's an rear end in a top hat about it though enough for Jon lovitz to beat him up

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

moose face posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat about it though enough for Jon lovitz to beat him up

i love jon lovitz and wish he was in more stuff these days

i heard he was in grownups 2 but i'm not watching that

edit: jon lovits if you are googling your name and see this just know we love you and wish you well. pls work more.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Spade was fine. Just a prototypical goon persona that described the world in with dripping cynicism and snarky sarcasm.

Adam Sandler? Now there is a talentless hack that has been riding his peak wave from the late 90s like a used condom washed up on the beach.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Berk Berkly posted:

Spade was fine. Just a prototypical goon persona that described the world in with dripping cynicism and snarky sarcasm.

Adam Sandler? Now there is a talentless hack that has been riding his peak wave from the late 90s like a used condom washed up on the beach.

that's a very descriptive similie

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
What sucks is Adam Sandler was actually making some decent movies when he started taking on serious roles.

Then he realized he can literally make the same movie over and over under his Happy Madison production company and turn profits with no effort, so that's the end of that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Berk Berkly posted:

A hack? Indisputably. Talentless? Nah. It's deceptively hard to make money off of the Lowest Common Denominator quite as consistently as Sandler has been able to. He definitely hasn't tried to develop himself at all since Punch Drunk Love and probably never will though.

moose face posted:

Yup. That's the strongest proof I know of that Andy Dick gave drugs to Phil's wife, but even then it's just hearsay about what Dick allegedly said to set Lovitz off.

I want a punching bag to blame for Hartman's death and want to believe Lovitz was enacting righteous street justice way more than most people-- like seriously Hartman and Lovitz are two of my comedy heroes and like most so-called 90s kids their work on The Simpsons/The Critic/SNL was hugely influential on my comedic compass--I also don't want to just go around writing libel about something I really don't know the truth about. For the sake of Hartman's memory we should be a bit better than that.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

In the movie Rat Race a series of events lead to Jon Lovitz driving Hitler's car and ends up in the middle of some jewish rally (I think?) screaming incoherently in a way that sounds germanic with a hitler stache. I loving DIED the first time I saw it, tears and everything. Best part of that movie hands down.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
emperors new groove is a good movie but mostly bc of patrick warburton

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

epsilon posted:

In the movie Rat Race a series of events lead to Jon Lovitz driving Hitler's car and ends up in the middle of some jewish rally (I think?) screaming incoherently in a way that sounds germanic with a hitler stache. I loving DIED the first time I saw it, tears and everything. Best part of that movie hands down.

The opening scene of happiness is awesome and he is perfect

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

someone create a jon lovitz appreciation thread. i wouldn't do it justice.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 250 days!)

FizFashizzle posted:

Just Shoot Me had its moments tbqh

Like when you watched NewsRadio instead. :hfive:

A misanthrope posted:

someone create a jon lovitz appreciation thread. i wouldn't do it justice.

..except for this season that never existed.

Jon Lovitz punched Andy Dick, telling him that he was the reason Phil was dead. Redeemed.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

i thought it was undisputed that he gave her drugs, he just denies knowing that she was crazy and had problems with the stuff

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i thought that take the hit was funny but i havent listened to it since like 1999

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i had to google image search to know who we were talking about

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i thought it was undisputed that he gave her drugs, he just denies knowing that she was crazy and had problems with the stuff

Don't forget that her estate sued Pfizer, because it wasn't all of the coke she did- it was OBVIOUSLY the antidepressant.

E: JFC, did I semiseriouspost in NeuGBS? :psyduck:

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
I remember thinking David Spade was really mean on the Spade Report (or Hollywood Minute or whatever) and it was kind of funny how mean he could be, but it was never like he was *funny* funny. Just mean.

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
david spade is like an american ricky gervais

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Libelous Slander posted:

david spade is like an american ricky gervais

You take that back. Gervais can be kind of funny with the right writers.. and medications.

Hahaha disregard that Im gay.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Gervais can be amazingly funny, but the character he plays most of the time is so obnoxiously annoying it makes me cringe. Yes, that's the point, but sometimes it's just too much.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

You take that back. Gervais can be kind of funny with the right writers.. and medications.

Hahaha disregard that Im gay.

i want them to both google themselves, read that, and get a little peeved.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inevitable posted:

I remember thinking David Spade was really mean on the Spade Report (or Hollywood Minute or whatever) and it was kind of funny how mean he could be, but it was never like he was *funny* funny. Just mean.

That's why Spade needs to be surrounded by people like Farley or the Just Shoot Me Cast to basically vouch for him-- oh we know he's a mean prick but he's our mean prick. Without them or a character like Joe Dirt to hang onto he comes across as mean.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

That's why Spade needs to be surrounded by people like Farley or the Just Shoot Me Cast to basically vouch for him-- oh we know he's a mean prick but he's our mean prick. Without them or a character like Joe Dirt to hang onto he comes across as mean.

Mean and undeservedly arrogant.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Shadow posted:

Gervais can be amazingly funny, but the character he plays most of the time is so obnoxiously annoying it makes me cringe. Yes, that's the point, but sometimes it's just too much.

:dawkins101: ProTip: When you realize he is just being himself, the magic is over.

Libelous Slander posted:

i want them to both google themselves, read that, and get a little peeved.

Me too, friend. Me too.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

West SAAB Story posted:

:dawkins101: ProTip: When you realize he is just being himself, the magic is over.

:(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

West SAAB Story posted:

This is why his constant use of Karl Pilkington quickly started to feel like "HEY I FOUND SOMEONE EVEN MORE EASY TO BULLY THAN I AM WATCH HOW ME AND MY LANKY FRIEND BULLY HIM SEE WE'RE NOT THE PATHETIC ONES," although they did look out for him and Karl was canny enough to get some of his own shows out of the deal.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

So'z mate, its true..

Steve Merchant posted:

It's just, you're so irritating, you're always making the little noises (he does his impression of Ricky's noises, you know the ones), just little sounds, all the time, we were, we were working yesterday, we were working yesterday right, and I was typing all this, and he had an elastic band between his teeth, right, I don't know how he got, you now how he just seems to end up with an elastic band between his teeth, right, and he was flicking it, so it was making a noise, boing-de-boing, boing, boing, what was it, he was just going “the rain on Spain, falls mainly on the plain...the rain on Spain...”

Ricky Gervais posted:

The rain in Spain, stays mainly on the plain do-do-do-do...

Steve Merchant posted:

He just kept doing that repetitively, he was flicking the thing, I eventually went, 'what you doing, what you up to?' he went 'oh sorry', tried to rap the elastic band around his face, right, it flipped up hit him in the nose, right, he screamed, cos that hurt obviously, he said to me, he said 'if I can flick this elastic band and hit your glasses...
Ricky screeches.

Steve Merchant posted:

Right, not, not your face, but if I can hit your glasses, can I flick the elastic band at you?' I went 'well, how am I gonna find out if you can hit, you might hit my face', he went 'well why don't you cover up the skin on your face, your nose and everything with some paper...'

------8<------[ CUT HERE ]-------8<------

mind the walrus posted:

This is why his constant use of Karl Pilkington quickly started to feel like "HEY I FOUND SOMEONE EVEN MORE EASY TO BULLY THAN I AM WATCH HOW ME AND MY LANKY FRIEND BULLY HIM SEE WE'RE NOT THE PATHETIC ONES," although they did look out for him and Karl was canny enough to get some of his own shows out of the deal.

True. I listened to quite a bit (of XFM) because I enjoyed Karl, but it gets old, too.

I can't believe the dicksucking everyone gave, er.. mouth service for "Derek." Oh look, he gave Karl a role he can even handle. Oh wow, look, isn't Ricky a lovable little scamp? lovely idea with a lovely plot which makes Gervais' character (hence himself) look like a misunderstood fool. Yeah.

Same poo poo we did with for Spade. Execute them both on televised PPV. We'll get our economies back.

Hello, Ladies deserved more than one season. :smith:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 24, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

West SAAB Story posted:

So'z mate, its true..

Ricky screeches.

------8<------[ CUT HERE ]-------8<------

True. I listened to quite a bit (of XFM) because I enjoyed Karl, but it gets old, too.

I can't believe the dicksucking everyone gave, er.. mouth service for "Derek." Oh look, he gave Karl a role he can even handle. Oh wow, look, isn't Ricky a lovable little scamp? lovely idea with a lovely plot which makes Gervais' character (hence himself) look like a misunderstood fool. Yeah.

Same poo poo we did with for Spade. Execute them both on televised PPV. We'll get our economies back.

Hello, Ladies deserved more than one season. :smith:

Jesus Christ, what was that Merchant interview from?

And while I didn't mind him in Extras, I think I'm growing tired of his formulaic "loser who gets successful and is unhappy in success and happier in modesty." It was basically the same plot of The Invention of Lying. I did enjoy them, but I think I'm starting to get over it.

His standup's funny though. At least that one show I watched years ago.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
He was funny on SNL when he was a no-name dude insulting celebs. Then he was famous for insulting celebs and it wasn't funny.

Sunrise, sunset

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Shadow posted:

Jesus Christ, what was that Merchant interview from?

Straight from their XFM show circa 2002. You can find most of them on YouTubes if you want more of Karl being an idiot, forced laughter, and ganging up on the new idiot.

Gervais is an annoying twat. So is Spade.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

mind the walrus posted:

Laura San Giacomo made her already big tits look comically huge on that show.

God gently caress goons will complain about anything.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

He was funny on SNL when he was a no-name dude insulting celebs. Then he was famous for insulting celebs and it wasn't funny.

Sunrise, sunset

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

poo poo he could have been Ric Ocasek in a tribute band. Someone should have removed his annoying screetchbox 20 some years ago. :(

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

Fishy Joe posted:

uhhh, buhbye

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

im glad i thought of that comparison. the more i think about it the more it's true. take a look at their physical appearances as of 2015. they both have lost/maintained a healthy weight, and clearly take a lot more efforts at their appearances than in their 30s/40s

• Locked thread