Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
The hipsters have gentrified all the bad areas in the USA.

All the ghettos where the gangs hang out now have Starbucks and other hipster poo poo.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Starbucks is p bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
hipsters are good. gentrification is actually a good thing, i dunno why goons whine about it

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
i think hipster gentrification is great. why?

well, it calls the rappers on their bullshit that life is so hard in the ghetto. that it's so loving dangerous. that you have to be tough to survive these mean streets.

today, skinny white kids live in america's "worst ghettos" with impunity. check mate, tupac. up yours, 50 cent. gently caress you, the game.

we called your bluff. your move.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

they haven't done a very good job on detroit.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

gangs deserve to have lemon pound cake and Arnold Palmers at their convenience, imo

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

well, it calls the rappers on their bullshit that life is so hard in the ghetto. that it's so loving dangerous. that you have to be tough to survive these mean streets.

today, skinny white kids live in america's "worst ghettos" with impunity. check mate, tupac. up yours, 50 cent. gently caress you, the game.

yeah and what about the mexicans

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sweet Tea posted:

they haven't done a very good job on detroit.

they just need to make a detroitlandia staring some ironic comedians who you can identify with

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How dare they raise the value of a bunch of poor people's property.

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
I can almost guarantee you that Baltimore is not even remotely as dangerous as the Wire showed it to be. The hipsters there probably have Starbucks on every corner too.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

this thread was created just for you pretty much, so its good you are already here

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

future cheap white person housing

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

If Detroit is so dangerous, how come pale bearded twinks grow alpacas in the middle of it?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frackie Robinson posted:

How dare they raise the value of a bunch of poor people's property.

don't you get it if we don't raise prices then poor people can continue to live in the same areas and create a real sense of community as the surrounding area continues to economically stagnate into depression

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
If you're white and have a liberal arts degree while living in an urban center then it's mandatory that every day you have to ride piggyback on a homeless person around your put cigarettes out on them.

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
like the maori, anthropologists have determined that social status in urban america is indicative of their bodily modifications

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vNzz2VMWac

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 24, 2015

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
everything's all right when it's all white

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

sexy young infidel posted:

everything's all right when it's all white

unironically this. i love my white gentrified cities. see: europe (which is going to poo poo now that its less than 90% white)

asians are ok too, they're welcome b/c pho, indian and thai is good

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rent controls are a good idea because

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

on the one hand it perpetuates a cycle of exclusion. on the other hand, richmond was the murder capital in 1997, and now we have artisanal donut stores, so i think i like it

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Exactly. That's what I'm saying.

Before going back to school, I worked for several years at a record label in Bed Stuy (As in "bed stuy do or die").

You know what I saw there? Families. Little kids playing in the street. Old men and women walking hand in hand down the boulevard of life.

You know what I didn't see? Wild west shootouts. Gang banging thugs. Wannabe rapper street trash.

It's all made up. A mixture of whiny entitlement (ie, where's our free money, uncle sam?) and fantasy (ie, we need to pretend to be real big boy tough men since we are so pathetic)

lol that you think Bed Stuy is supposed to be scary

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

spooky girlfriend posted:

lol that you think Bed Stuy is supposed to be scary

many a rapper has made a career built upon the illusion that they ran and survived the mean streets of bed stuy.

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax
Gentrification often develops during a combination of crises. Under conditions of social stress, such a movement may form under the leadership of a charismatic figure. This leader may have a "vision" (or "myth-dream") of the future, often linked to a coffee shop thought to be overpriced and actually kinda lovely. This leader may characterize the present state (often imposed by their affluent parents or colonial capitalist regimes) as a dismantling of the old social order, meaning that social hierarchy and ego boundaries have been broken down.

Contact with colonizing groups brought about a considerable transformation in the way indigenous peoples of Detroit have thought about other societies. Early theories of gentrification began from the assumption that practitioners simply failed to understand the ethos of hard work, colonization, or capitalist reform; in this model, gentrification is a misunderstanding of the trade networks involved in resource distribution and an attempt to acquire such goods without having to get a real job. However, many of these practitioners actually focus on the importance of sustaining and creating new social relationships, with the acquisition and operation of overpriced technical baubles being ancillary.

Since the late twentieth century, alternative theories have arisen. For example, some scholars, such as Kaplan and Lindstrom, focus on Europeans' characterization of these movements as a fascination with manufactured goods and what such a focus says about Western commodity fetishism. Others point to the need to see each movement as reflecting a particularized historical context, even eschewing the term "gentrification" for them unless there is an attempt to elicit an exchange relationship with the poor.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
someone called me a hipster not too long ago and it really shook me to the core

open container
Sep 16, 2008
there's always brownsville

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

many a rapper has made a career built upon the illusion that they ran and survived the mean streets of bed stuy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

"heh I went to Bed Stuy 20 years after it was cleaned up, I guess that means black people are faking it"

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
compton ain't poo poo

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Exactly. That's what I'm saying.

Before going back to school, I worked for several years at a record label in Bed Stuy (As in "bed stuy do or die").

You know what I saw there? Families. Little kids playing in the street. Old men and women walking hand in hand down the boulevard of life.

You know what I didn't see? Wild west shootouts. Gang banging thugs. Wannabe rapper street trash.

It's all made up. A mixture of whiny entitlement (ie, where's our free money, uncle sam?) and fantasy (ie, we need to pretend to be real big boy tough men since we are so pathetic)

lol you loving retard

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

Enfield posted:

lol you loving retard

u r

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

White people are more afraid of Mexican supermarkets than Asian supermarkets.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
thank guiliani for the death of hip hop i guess

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

White people are more afraid of Mexican supermarkets than Asian supermarkets.

Counterpoint: white people prefer to gentrify mexican neighborhoods over asian neighborhoods b/c mexican neighborhoods are more "authentic" and have more "soul"

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

small hendren posted:

I can almost guarantee you that Baltimore is not even remotely as dangerous as the Wire showed it to be. The hipsters there probably have Starbucks on every corner too.

It's dangerous, but all us hipsters stay in Hampden. West Baltimore is not gentrified.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I dunno if it's mainly irony posting or just really dumb people itt. Yeah property values going up isn't a bad thing if you own the place you're living in but in most urban centers where people talk about gentrification everyone is renting so property values increasing just means their rent goes up. Pretty much the only thing they get in return for this rent hike is having boring stem majors live nearby and maybe a shorter walk to starbucks. I'm from seattle and have a bunch of friends who live there still and it's really sad to see how quickly rent is skyrocketing as the demographics change. Soon the city will be nothing but pasty white dudes in their 20s and 30s.

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Counterpoint: white people prefer to gentrify mexican neighborhoods over asian neighborhoods b/c mexican neighborhoods are more "authentic" and have more "soul"

are you saying asian people don't have a soul?

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
Honestly, I am all for hipsters putting in nice restaurants and bars where people used to get shot every 30 minutes.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno if it's mainly irony posting or just really dumb people itt. Yeah property values going up isn't a bad thing if you own the place you're living in but in most urban centers where people talk about gentrification everyone is renting so property values increasing just means their rent goes up. I'm from seattle and have a bunch of friends who live there still and it's really sad to see how quickly rent is skyrocketing as the demographics change. Soon the city will be nothing but pasty white dudes in their 20s and 30s.

Yeah, Seattle is basically San Francisco lite and it will suffer the same fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno if it's mainly irony posting or just really dumb people itt. Yeah property values going up isn't a bad thing if you own the place you're living in but in most urban centers where people talk about gentrification everyone is renting so property values increasing just means their rent goes up. I'm from seattle and have a bunch of friends who live there still and it's really sad to see how quickly rent is skyrocketing as the demographics change. Soon the city will be nothing but pasty white dudes in their 20s and 30s.

you should sell them drugs and fleece the rich white tech nerds who don't understand the going rates for weed because they only started smoking a few years ago after they graduated from college

• Locked thread