Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArbitraryC posted:

I dunno if it's mainly irony posting or just really dumb people itt. Yeah property values going up isn't a bad thing if you own the place you're living in but in most urban centers where people talk about gentrification everyone is renting so property values increasing just means their rent goes up. I'm from seattle and have a bunch of friends who live there still and it's really sad to see how quickly rent is skyrocketing as the demographics change. Soon the city will be nothing but pasty white dudes in their 20s and 30s.

thats good, more people to play settlers of catan and xbox ones with.

i dont want crackpipes in my bushes

also white people built most of the cities and then left during the 60s-80s, its only fair we get to come back to our homelands like jews and israel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Ancient Mariner posted:

are you saying asian people don't have a soul?

I'm not saying anything about any of that. I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm just making an observation.

What I am saying is that white people who gentrify perceive value "authenticity" and "soul". They then assign values based on race thusly: african american -> black immigrant -> hispanic -> asian (from most to least)

Xaris posted:

also white people built most of the cities and then left during the 60s-80s, its only fair we get to come back to our homelands like jews and israel
this is a good point, and one that is rarely discussed.

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

I'm not saying anything about any of that. I don't have a dog in the fight. I'm just making an observation.

What I am saying is that white people who gentrify perceive value "authenticity" and "soul". They then assign values based on race thusly: african american -> black immigrant -> hispanic -> asian (from most to least)

colonel custer was just gentrifying colorado

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Counterpoint: white people prefer to gentrify mexican neighborhoods over asian neighborhoods b/c mexican neighborhoods are more "authentic" and have more "soul"

Countercounterpoint: white people love talking about pho and passive aggressively correcting each other's pronunciation of pho

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
when the gently caress did the existence of starbucks mean a place wasn't a ghetto anymore? starbucks is poo poo

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

when the gently caress did the existence of starbucks mean a place wasn't a ghetto anymore? starbucks is poo poo

only white people like starbucks, duh

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
THink about this. Poor black people live in cities right. But then white people come in and start jacking up the prices on everything and black people are like :wth: your supposed to be scared to come here, why you comin for

So then where do black people go?? Back to the country to do subsistence farming? They cant. Its been decades since they knew how to do agriculture. They can do low wage service jobs in between checking there phones but they cant milk cows and poo poo. So thats why white people CANT go back to living in cities. They should stay in suburbia.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

i want to live in a white person ghetto. I want to fight other white people and pay cheap rent

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because "Starbucks" is internet shorthand for "white people"

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

Neo_Crimson posted:

stabucks is typically late-stage gentrification anyway. it usually starts with local-sourced, in-house roasted, artisanal coffee places with names like "Roast" or "Lab" or "Joe".

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

gigawhite posted:

i want to live in a white person ghetto. I want to fight other white people and pay cheap rent

They already have these, they're called trailer parks

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You ever notice how the same people who complain about gentrification also complain about white flight? Make up your minds, people!

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the solution is to all move to various chinatowns

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drive the chinese out of chinatown

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Serious post:

I wonder if now that all the cities have been gentrified, white people will have to start moving into smaller cities because they are affordable. Are, say, Peoria and Schectady and Salem, Oregon the new hipster towns?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

THink about this. Poor black people live in cities right. But then white people come in and start jacking up the prices on everything and black people are like :wth: your supposed to be scared to come here, why you comin for

So then where do black people go?? Back to the country to do subsistence farming? They cant. Its been decades since they knew how to do agriculture. They can do low wage service jobs in between checking there phones but they cant milk cows and poo poo. So thats why white people CANT go back to living in cities. They should stay in suburbia.

minorities end up buying the suburban lots that got overbuilt and eventually gain assets

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

moose face posted:

drive the chinese out of chinatown

This is literally happening in Houston.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

ColoradoCleric posted:

minorities end up buying the suburban lots that got overbuilt and eventually gain assets

That's good, and then they can resell it to white people for a profit when they decide to move back out to the "country".

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

boom boom boom posted:

This is literally happening in Houston.

well they're the worst thing to happen to chinatown so i'm glad of it

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

That's good, and then they can resell it to white people for a profit when they decide to move back out to the "country".

and so the cycle continues

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

Serious post:

I wonder if now that all the cities have been gentrified, white people will have to start moving into smaller cities because they are affordable. Are, say, Peoria and Schectady and Salem, Oregon the new hipster towns?

Yes but it's Eugene, OR etc

you bitch idiots can't even phrase that joke right

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
blacks are faggots

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

gently caress da Mods posted:

blacks are faggots

i'm surprised you got the square peg in the square hole for this doozy of a post

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

yeah and what about the mexicans

mexicans cant rap

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

glowing-fish posted:

Serious post:

People talk a lot about how gentrification affects minorities but it does affect poor people in general. My friends that work multiple part time jobs are just kinda moving farther and farther from the spots in the city they want to live and will probably eventually be forced out in general as rent keeps going up. You'll be left with a SV situation where the only people who can afford to live there are upper middle class tech people who are mostly male and incredibly lonely.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bea Nanner posted:

mexicans cant rap

what about cypress hill

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

moose face posted:

what about cypress hill

yeah!

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

i think hipster gentrification is great. why?

well, it calls the rappers on their bullshit that life is so hard in the ghetto. that it's so loving dangerous. that you have to be tough to survive these mean streets.

today, skinny white kids live in america's "worst ghettos" with impunity. check mate, tupac. up yours, 50 cent. gently caress you, the game.

we called your bluff. your move.

why do you talk poo poo about rappers so much dude

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

Cucking Mama posted:

it is literally his only contact with black people

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

Cucking Mama posted:

dude loves rap, ok?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
mods please move this thread to dnd and ban izzyfnstraddlin

Ancient Mariner
Jan 14, 2015

by Lowtax

dad gay. so what posted:

ban izzyfnstraddlin

please don't

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

moose face posted:

what about cypress hill

dudes say nigga a lot I think they black

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

gigawhite posted:

South Boston.

Currently under gentrification.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Frackie Robinson posted:

How dare they raise the value of a bunch of poor people's property.

haha you think poor people own the property they live on

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

redshirt posted:

South Boston.

Currently under gentrification.

oh no its p much nearly finished if you look at apartments

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Gentrification is the poo poo

20 years ago Pittsburgh was a rusted out post-industrial hellscape and now all the factories are bulldozed and the last remnants of industry and rotted out buildings are in the process of being converted to nice offices, apartments, and stores. The people who actually make money and pay taxes are getting to move back into the city and enjoy the prime real estate and short commutes. I'm generally pro social safety net but gently caress you if you think you are entitled to live on the best land while the people funding your benefits have to drive an hour to work.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

glowing-fish posted:

Serious post:

Detroit is now getting people who were priced out of Austin and Williamsburg. There's loving pop up dinners everywhere.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Gentrification is the poo poo

20 years ago Pittsburgh was a rusted out post-industrial hellscape and now all the factories are bulldozed and the last remnants of industry and rotted out buildings are in the process of being converted to nice offices, apartments, and stores. The people who actually make money and pay taxes are getting to move back into the city and enjoy the prime real estate and short commutes. I'm generally pro social safety net but gently caress you if you think you are entitled to live on the best land while the people funding your benefits have to drive an hour to work.

ya pittsburg is getting p rad now. lot of really nice lofts. biggest problem is the weather still sucks dick so not a lot of rich techies want to go there when seattle/sf/sd/portland/etc have way better weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Sweet Tea posted:

they haven't done a very good job on detroit.

you haven't been living near it for the past 25 years, clearly

the hipster takeover in the past decade has been swift

• Locked thread