Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I dunno if it's mainly irony posting or just really dumb people itt. Yeah property values going up isn't a bad thing if you own the place you're living in but in most urban centers where people talk about gentrification everyone is renting so property values increasing just means their rent goes up. Pretty much the only thing they get in return for this rent hike is having boring stem majors live nearby and maybe a shorter walk to starbucks. I'm from seattle and have a bunch of friends who live there still and it's really sad to see how quickly rent is skyrocketing as the demographics change. Soon the city will be nothing but pasty white dudes in their 20s and 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

glowing-fish posted:

Serious post:

I wonder if now that all the cities have been gentrified, white people will have to start moving into smaller cities because they are affordable. Are, say, Peoria and Schectady and Salem, Oregon the new hipster towns?
People talk a lot about how gentrification affects minorities but it does affect poor people in general. My friends that work multiple part time jobs are just kinda moving farther and farther from the spots in the city they want to live and will probably eventually be forced out in general as rent keeps going up. You'll be left with a SV situation where the only people who can afford to live there are upper middle class tech people who are mostly male and incredibly lonely.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

LethalGeek posted:

I've yet to fully understand the problem with all this outside "rent gets stupid sometimes"
Rent increases to levels where the lower classes can no longer afford it so they basically get kicked out of their homes to make room for wealthier people. Also while white people talk about cities being culture hubs all the time for the most part when wealthy white people take over an area they pave over historical buildings and put in starbucks and poo poo.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 25, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Also you get hilarious poo poo like microhousing (this is becoming a thing in seattle) where people pay way too much money for a room the size of a parking space that has no amenities, that's where your barista lives. They could simply try to rent a house with some friends or people off craigslist and get way more space for way less money but they can't do that anymore either because people are just bulldozing over the houses to build microhousing apartments instead, complete with deregulated parking (the person in charge of this was previously a big guy in building apartments like this and is clearly helping out his cronies) so now you have 10x as many people living on the same street that previously had a reasonable amount of street parking.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

etalian posted:

there are even worse things than a studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU
Lol 700/mo for that. I pay that for a decent sized 1 bedroom with all the amenities you could think of including a gym, rec center, and pool.

• Locked thread