Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
#crowfall on irc.synirc.net

Hi, this will probably be a bad game. You shouldn't buy in unless you are willing to count any money you spend toward it as a complete utter loss. It is yet another game made by devs who did a thing over a decade ago, and now are asking for money to make that same thing, but in 2015.

Crowfall is a procedurally generated MMO made by some of the devs that brought you Star Wars Galaxies and Shadowbane. It is currently in pre-alpha status. You can find the kickstarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo

Crowfall actually uses the same voxel technology that is being used in Everquest Landmark. If nothing else, this is a pretty cool technology and allows for some flexibility most other games do not have, including destructible environments. It features hardcore PvP and looting other player's corpses. The main selling point of the game from the devs is the following quote: "It's like Game of Thrones meets Eve Online" - a new MMO by J Todd Coleman (Shadowbane, Wizard101) and Gordon Walton (UO, SWG, SWTOR) A server will essentially be broken up into worlds that vary in how safe they are. The more dangerous worlds will have better resources and all that jazz.

So yeah, this game is probably going to fail spectacularly. The game has a fairly cartoony style which I kind of like. It seems they have a pretty competent art team and have the engine in at least a somewhat functional state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNhgJ-14Q4M

ok so this is a topic for you guys to talk about this game that may well never come out

eonwe fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
reserved in case i decide to put more effort into an OP later

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I love that they made this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how can we encourage people to fund the game we want so bad? :downs:

im looking forward to the hardcore MMO community eating itself like it always does

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Early supporter of this thread.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
im here to say stupid poo poo, then say i was trolling later

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Carol Pizzamom posted:

im here to say stupid poo poo, then say i was trolling later

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
That $10,000 King/Queen title is very tempting.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

It feels like every month has a new MMO announced that is claiming to be the ~next ultima online~ simply because they don't feature a PVE gear treadmill.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Digital Decay posted:

That $10,000 King/Queen title is very tempting.

no goon better be stupid enough to pay 10k for vapourware

oh wait

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
gotta get in on this one, goons. its gonna be amazing!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's going to be a shame when all those nice-looking art assets are tossed in the dumpster.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

It's going to be a shame when all those nice-looking art assets are tossed in the dumpster.

:agreed:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
This is actually a better investment than all of the bad games they made before because at least you won't have to play this bad game

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
If another goon putting down $30 for a video game bothers you, then you are the bad goon.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Killer Queen posted:

If another goon putting down $30 for a video game bothers you, then you are the bad goon.

being bothered and being amused are different things

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I confess, the Raph Koster involvement has me curious to see the gameplay they come up with. One can only hope.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Does anyone else hear "Procedurally generated" and their mind automatically translates it to "Bland and Generic"?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

I love that they made this

Is Gordon coding from the retirement home? How can he even get online without his AOL discs?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Rhymenoserous posted:

Does anyone else hear "Procedurally generated" and their mind automatically translates it to "Bland and Generic"?

Nah, Love was procedurally generated and that was cool.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If this was a kickstarter for the inevitable goon drama I would buy in

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Byolante posted:

If this was a kickstarter for the inevitable goon drama I would buy in

Dude, just imagine if this was a real game. The splinter guilds, the full loot, the forum posts and the public meltdowns... It's almost worth the price of admission itself.

Credible Cat
Sep 11, 2001

Fuckin' trident.
Already scammed before I even found the thread. Regret will set in soon.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Any game that tries to sell itself by saying "The X is like EVE Online!" has already failed to understand what makes that thing interesting and is doomed to fail. Possibly because emulating EVE doesn't actually make your game good, in fact, it will probably make your game bad, because EVE happens to also be bad.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Backed for $30. I'm ready for the Star Citizen of MMOs. Also the Eve online of fantasy MMOs.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

no goon better be stupid enough to pay 10k for vapourware

oh wait

LMAO

IT BEGINS

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Apparently Crowfall also received $2.35 million in funding in the previous two years and the two leads have invested in it from their own savings. That makes the numbers a little more plausible.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
How does this have so many backers already
How is it already at 500k
How does this poo poo still work
Is there an ocean in this game where you can fish?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Crowfall? More like Crowdfail? Am I right? Eh? Ehhhh?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Killer Queen posted:

how much did you donate

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Something Crowfall

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Baller Time posted:

How does this have so many backers already
How is it already at 500k
How does this poo poo still work
Is there an ocean in this game where you can fish?

Did you read the last thread? Even some of the people who complain loudly about it can't quite let go of their hope and end up putting a couple bucks in.

Like you either get a sweet game eventually or you realize you're out $30 in a couple years. For most people that's pretty inconsequential so it's like "eh gently caress it".

And then there's a couple dumb nerds who dump $10k on it or whatever but maybe when you're rich it's the same thing but bigger numbers?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
to be fair $10k for charity is pretty generous that goon is commendable

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ummm since I didnt put $150 bucks into ArchAge for early access maybe I should do it for this game instead. At least there's a chance that it wont suck, compared to the other one where you should known already that it was going to suck.

Naaah

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Arzachel posted:

Nah, Love was procedurally generated and that was cool.
Love was the first time I heard the word procedurally generated. Its shame no one else has ever done anything cool with it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Love actually released?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

The planets in SWG were 99% procedurally generated (but not randomized) and that was the least of its problems.

Randomly generating new zones for campaigns every three months or whatever seems like it could be a good idea.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I do like that the world resets after an in-game year so people can't get impossibly entrenched.

Ideally.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Love actually released?
Does the word "release" really mean anything anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Eonwe posted:

how can we encourage people to fund the game we want so bad? :downs:

im looking forward to the hardcore MMO community eating itself like it always does

Ahhh the Wildstar method. if only we can see another crash and burn as mighty as that cluster gently caress.

• Locked thread