Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

Warhammer Online, which was p bad, had a budget of nearly 40mil (some sources say 100m but i dont believe it)

Tabula Rasa had a budget of about 100 million dollars

SWTOR was estimated to have cost between 150-200 million dollars to make

Huge budgets will not guarantee a good game (as evidenced above) but I do think they're gonna need a whole lot more than a few million dollars to create an MMO worth buying

It's very possible to have a low-budget MMO work. You don't have to aim for being the next AAA WoW killer mainstream hit to be successful and profitable. Look at EVE. You don't need to break 1 million subscribers for your MMO to be a hit. A MMO could easily persist on 100k players or less as long as it has consistent growth. They're also (obviously) going for further external funding and investors after they've proven there's an installed fanbase for their game, rather than possibly compromising their niche vision with the traditional publisher/developer model. In addition, investors are starkly afraid of big budget MMOs after Wildstar and several other failures in the past few years.

Yeah, Kickstarter is pretty goddamn dumb, but it works in this case. It works quite well.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I like the graphics they are planning. I always found realistic rendered stuff to be slightly creepy because there's always at least one point where they just look "off" to actual humans, especially once you throw quality sliders into the mix.

Additionally, the proceduralness and art style should mean less costs, and possibly more features being implemented easier -- look at game mechanics in AAA MMOs with great graphics and game mechanics in MUDs, it's just that much easier to add more weird things when you don't have to make half a million high res textures and models imo

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

I like the graphics they are planning. I always found realistic rendered stuff to be slightly creepy because there's always at least one point where they just look "off" to actual humans, especially once you throw quality sliders into the mix.

Additionally, the proceduralness and art style should mean less costs, and possibly more features being implemented easier -- look at game mechanics in AAA MMOs with great graphics and game mechanics in MUDs, it's just that much easier to add more weird things when you don't have to make half a million high res textures and models imo

Project Gorgon proves your second point, from what the thread makes it sounds like

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

Project Gorgon proves your second point, from what the thread makes it sounds like

yep

gorgon doesn't have a ton of flashy animations or graphics, but in the first dungeon you can lose a boss fight and be turned into a cow

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Eonwe posted:

yep

gorgon doesn't have a ton of flashy animations or graphics, but in the first dungeon you can lose a boss fight and be turned into a cow

Is that what happened to your mother? :eyepop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wow dude!!!!!!! gohan would never act like that

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Zzulu posted:

I am a poor who cannot afford to drop $30 on entertainment.

Dude, we get it.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Fog Tripper posted:

Dude, we get it.

so leveling fair skepticism at a kickstarter means you're poor? do you know any poors?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Killer Queen posted:

A MMO could easily persist on 100k players or less as long as it has consistent growth.

An MMO can stay small, as long as it keeps getting bigger!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i declare this to be a judgment free zone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
unless stux posts here

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Blazing Zero posted:

so leveling fair skepticism at a kickstarter means you're poor? do you know any poors?

Leveling skepticism over and over is pathetic. (I am counting all of the whiners about spending money in this and last thread, not just Zulu)

I spent unrecalled :10bux: on Shadowbane way back in the days of yore. It was in perpetual broken state, but I still had fun. I imagine that an updated axpanded and improved version might be worth it, with less than I spent on the original iteration.

$30 is chump change in the realm of entertainment. To whine about others spending money on a decent chance of entertainment unsolicited is yes, acting like a poor. If I am entertained for longer than two movies (I will probably enjoy beta much longer than a couple movies), it's a win.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

you didn't read any of the words written by me or zzulu and wrote all those words based on that not-reading :lol:

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
They succeed and produce an entertaining game that's fun to play for a while.

They produce a game that's uninteresting and I get to be smug and say I knew it was doomed to fail.

They produce a game that's so hilariously broken that it's funny like a bad b-movie.

The project implodes in forum drama, libellous tweets and angry blog posts, and no game ever sees the light of day.

Either way it's entertainment value for money.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Biowarfare posted:

They also seem to be focusing on readability, realistic looking stuff tends to turn into a sea of mud. The way that classes are locked to specific races reminds me a lot of how valve emphasized all the classes in TF2 having unique silhouettes.

Looks how well TF2's cartoon art style scales down. Everything is still uniquely identifiable and you don't really lose much in terms of readability.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

An MMO can stay small, as long as it keeps getting bigger!

Uh, consistent growth means not losing subscribers. If a MMO has 300k players, then it's a healthy game if it gains players relative to losses and sticks around at 300k. It doesn't mean that a small MMO has to gain massive subscribers every quarter and feature millions of players. This is essentially what EVE Online is like. It's a very successful niche title that doesn't boast huge numbers, yet it has pretty solid revenue.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, by that metric alone it's pretty easily justifiable to say EvE is the second most successful MMO ever made. Big numbers don't mean poo poo when they last for a single month.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

Leveling skepticism over and over is pathetic. (I am counting all of the whiners about spending money in this and last thread, not just Zulu)

I spent unrecalled :10bux: on Shadowbane way back in the days of yore. It was in perpetual broken state, but I still had fun. I imagine that an updated axpanded and improved version might be worth it, with less than I spent on the original iteration.

$30 is chump change in the realm of entertainment. To whine about others spending money on a decent chance of entertainment unsolicited is yes, acting like a poor. If I am entertained for longer than two movies (I will probably enjoy beta much longer than a couple movies), it's a win.

this isn't a judgement, but youre retarded

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah, by that metric alone it's pretty easily justifiable to say EvE is the second most successful MMO ever made. Big numbers don't mean poo poo when they last for a single month.

Nah, that's Everquest 1. That game still exists, with a half decent playerbase, and is releasing expansions to this day. There's been 21 expansions and there's been a yearly release since 2007. Nothing comes close for the most successful non-WoW MMO, if you're talking sheer revenue over the years.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Fog Tripper posted:

Well have I got a bridge to sell you. There's even a decent chance you'll get to cross it someday.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When ever someone designs a siege map they have to compare it to what was probably the best siege map ever made.

The basic ideas are here but most games get some not all of them.
3 sides
spots for 3 way fights
choke points
large open areas with terrain you can hide in between the points
neutral area you can level up in inside the pvp zone
Fun classes
ways to channel people to certain zones
rewards for defending besides fun

Warhammer online hosed up by having two sides, pve stuck outside of pvp, and general map design with their gated zones. And that whole armor tier bull poo poo with taking cities.

GW2 corrected most of that and hosed up the rest. Classes got some weird rear end balancing issues. Some keeps were not far enough away from each letting you siege one from the other. Other keeps are too far turning a 3 way fight into only a 2v1. Some keeps are just too big and useless. Some keeps are so close to each other you can siege from one to the next. A lot of choke points are just missing as well. The entire thing has turned into a loot gear train where you avoid fights.

But this game can promise anything since it doesn't exist.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
boy does it ever not exist!!!!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it is weird since the elder scrolls online figured out how to do a siege map but managed to just gently caress up like everything else and not understand issues in computing that have existed since the dawn of computers

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
As long as it doesn't end up like Star Citizen, I think it'll be ok. Guys we just need to raise $325,000 for this exclusive pig spit roast and bespoke fireplace!

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I think I'll buy in for the kickstarter #2 held next year because Shadowbane was amazing.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 26, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The birth of the pvp wildstar mmo.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
to be fair: as bad and scam as this is, this game has already been in the works for 2 years, actual trademarks and corporate entity since 2013, filed by actual lawyers

i figure that's at least better than 99% of kickstarters

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Biowarfare posted:

to be fair: as bad and scam as this is, this game has already been in the works for 2 years, actual trademarks and corporate entity since 2013, filed by actual lawyers

i figure that's at least better than 99% of kickstarters

Nexon should do a kickstarter to fund an innovative new mobile game where you buy anime clothes to dress up your character and,

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
But tell me dear Eonwe -- how is the fishing?

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Icept posted:

As long as it doesn't end up like Star Citizen, I think it'll be ok. Guys we just need to raise $325,000 for this exclusive pig spit roast and bespoke fireplace!

That stuff is especially horrible because the staff will focus on making those rewards instead of a fleshed out game world

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

But tell me dear Eonwe -- how is the fishing?

there must always be a fishing pact

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

We need our 10k goon backers to e-mail the developers and demand the implementation of fishing, while threatening to back out.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
fishing is a part of it

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

fishing is a part of it

Are there boats? I'm kind of hoping there aren't, since features like that make a game much harder to make

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

I love that they made this

This is the redflag that tells you to stay away.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What are you talking about? Boats in Ultima Online worked perfectly fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_i7SNXgeDo
I was trying to find an old video of a boat ripping itself in half but instead I discovered that UO still exists and boats are still broken but in exciting and new ways.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Eonwe you crazy bastard. You finally did it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im a terrible person

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

I love that they made this

I love that half those games are resume embarrassments, yet they are proudly saying they were the greybeards behind such winners like Sims Online (a literal online brothel) and SWTOR (the biggest moneysink to date)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
online brothel = successful

(also wizards101 has a really really creepy amount of adults playing it, for a literal childrens game)

• Locked thread