Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FinalGamer posted:

Isn't there something about a crossbow being kinda bad for short range due to needing the velocity when going through air in order to make it more deadly? Like I dunno, I'm just seeing a guy try to shoot an arrow point blank and having no distance to let it ramp up its lethal point straight into a guy's face enough.

This is p dumb. Like, do you think crossbow bolts continue to accelerate after they leave the bow? Or bullets? Do you think cars accelerate better after you take your foot off the gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
There IS a reason that bows and crossbows are less effective at close range, but only if you miss - in the time it takes you to reload the weapon, your opponent has time to get in close and attack you. Crossbows that can hold multiple bolts and reload automatically would mitigate that, but I have no idea whether those actually exist. I'm pretty sure there's no way to make a bow do that, and even if the crossbow does, it would still require re-drawing the string, which can be done quickly but not instantly. As long as you can be ready to fire again before your opponent closes the gap, closer is better.

I think the projectile DOES increase in speed, and therefore impact force, over the time the string pulls taut, so stopping it before it's left the bow might reduce its effect, but you couldn't really do that by putting your hand in front of it. Weaponized arrows come to very sharp points, so even at slow speed, it would penetrate your flesh easily enough and likely bone as well unless you caught it really quickly. If it misses the bone - well, you probably didn't need that hand anymore.

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

Nidoking posted:

There IS a reason that bows and crossbows are less effective at close range, but only if you miss - in the time it takes you to reload the weapon, your opponent has time to get in close and attack you. Crossbows that can hold multiple bolts and reload automatically would mitigate that, but I have no idea whether those actually exist.

You might be surprised to learn that the repeating crossbow has been around for quite a bit, and a few folks have build modern functioning examples to prove that they are quite capable weapons (if a bit bulky). :eng101:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

rabiddeity posted:

You might be surprised to learn that the repeating crossbow has been around for quite a bit, and a few folks have build modern functioning examples to prove that they are quite capable weapons (if a bit bulky). :eng101:

Yeah, they were in Van Helsing, I remember those.

I was hoping that Youtube like was going to be a link to that scene in the movie.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, they were in Van Helsing, I remember those.

I'm guessing that Van Helsing is not necessarily a great example of a historically accurate movie.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Marle/Lucca smacking something up close is almost purely cosmetic. The most benefit you can derive from it is knowing when they get a critical hit since their critical hits are always shots :eng101:

It is also a nod to realism since at the ranges they do that (about one-person away) it would be more beneficial to go to melee rather than shoot because of reload times.
At least it's not like original CoD where you want to keep things at range because two melee hits will kill you and the enemies melee like a chainsaw.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I'm guessing that Van Helsing is not necessarily a great example of a historically accurate movie.

I refuse to believe this.

:colbert:

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Leavemywife posted:

So, Nuvan, the wonderful poster he is, linked me to a fantastic music thingy on Youtube, where Chrono Trigger tracks were done with a metal flair.

Unfortunately, the video itself contains some spoilers, but I think I found a solution. As we reach the music in question, I'll post up these links of it. I wish I knew the guy who did this, so I could properly credit him, but he's on there as 331Erock.

Anyways, Chrono's Theme, Metalized!

The guy's full name is Eric Calderone, he does a whole bunch of video game covers.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

ultrafilter posted:

The one from Berserk is much more realistic. None of that gas-powered silliness. :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

I never actually beat this game....as I only played the PS1 Port, and I got sick of the loading times. Every fight took a good minute to start up.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

This is p dumb. Like, do you think crossbow bolts continue to accelerate after they leave the bow? Or bullets? Do you think cars accelerate better after you take your foot off the gas?
Wow this is p rude, do you talk like that to all the students in your physics class? Cuz I was just asking something out of curiosity because I took biology instead.

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh

I don't know how you did in physics class, but projectiles don't tend to accelerate on their own while flying through the air. Quite the opposite in fact.

Nidoking posted:

You're probably thinking about blocking a gun barrel. The closest equivalent for a bow of any kind would probably be if someone has their hand on the actual projectile and can hold it in place to prevent the string from snapping taut. The same pressure will still be there, though, and it'll move with just as much force if it moves at all.

I think the projectile DOES increase in speed, and therefore impact force, over the time the string pulls taut, so stopping it before it's left the bow might reduce its effect, but you couldn't really do that by putting your hand in front of it. Weaponized arrows come to very sharp points, so even at slow speed, it would penetrate your flesh easily enough and likely bone as well unless you caught it really quickly. If it misses the bone - well, you probably didn't need that hand anymore.
Thank you for replying to my question, I just suck at understanding physics concerning the velocity of a propelled object since I thought there was a certain point you could block the propelled force if you were close enough, or that there was a certain point it DID accelerate, before it decelerated like crazy due to the propulsion or whatever you call it of being shot out from the bow.
Was nice to be educated about stuff and all, I was curious to ask since I had to wonder why well, Marle didn't even bother shooting up close-range but look at me trying to wonder the motivations of videogame sprites. I guess I should have just realised the whole "reloading is a bitch at close-range" someone said which is really obvious now I think about it :v:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

FinalGamer posted:

Wow this is p rude, do you talk like that to all the students in your physics class? Cuz I was just asking something out of curiosity because I took biology instead.

You need to slow down.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Theoretically, if there was a strong enough tailwind and the person was magnetically charged opposite of the bolt and it was toward a gravity well with no friction, then it would presumable speed up after...

Help us, Leave. You're our only hope... :shepicide:

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Presumably they also build their crossbows out of unobtainium, because giving someone a hard smack with one would normally stand a good chance of ruining the thing. Fortunately, indestructible/maintenance-free equipment is a common perk of living in a videogame world. Just don't try this at home, kids!

So I never got very far in this game (the next update will probably overtake where I left off) but Lucca and her dad kinda make me think of unusually articulate and well-mannered 40K orks. Like, they're constantly cobbling poo poo together, they don't seem to really understand how (or even if) it's supposed to work, they're cheerfully oblivious to any hazards... I realize they're pretty clearly mad scientist archetypes (with a dash of vaudeville), I just like the idea of cleverly disguised orks in the game. Because I'm like that.

Really looking forward to the LP, Leave! There are other CT Let's Plays on the archive, but I could never get into them. I've always enjoyed your style, though, so keep up the good work!

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
This LP reminds me that my low level game save file is still hanging in limbo, possibly never to be cleared, in an endgame sidequest dungeon. :(

Some old-timey designs of crossbows had considerable weight to them that would make butting effective -- at the cost of potentially damaging the weapon. But many types were as simple as possible; the weapon was designed such that an unskilled operator (such as in the hands of militiamen or peasants so that they too could contribute to a war effort) could handle it to some effect, and the best way to do that is to keep weight down, which would render butting useless. Considering spoilers that have been foreshadowed already, Marle's weapon is probably specially-made to endure abuse and it conjures images of a crossbow-rifle hybrid-thing. A rifle typically has a good, weight-y feel, so surely butting with a rifle is effective in close quarters rather than trying to maneuver the barrel around to shoot the target instead.
Lucca, an obvious future party member and fellow ranged-weapon user, does something similar, but...it'll happen soon enough so I'm going to avoid a painfully minor spoiler by not just saying it.

As for the physics-storm, the propellant is a string that flings the projectile. There's no way it could conceivably have enough power for the projectile to continue accelerating as it leaves the "barrel" of the weapon. Now, I've heard that something like that misconception above can happen with long-range sniper rifles, where the projectile is propelled with such force that it hasn't yet achieved its maximum speed and continues to accelerate for a distance after it leaves the barrel. I can understand some of the confusion there, but not only would that phenomenon be applicable to firearms and not a crossbow/bowgun, I'm also not an expert and couldn't say with 100% certainty that this is what happens.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

EggsAisle posted:

Presumably they also build their crossbows out of unobtainium, because giving someone a hard smack with one would normally stand a good chance of ruining the thing. Fortunately, indestructible/maintenance-free equipment is a common perk of living in a videogame world. Just don't try this at home, kids!

Medieval crossbow stocks were about as sturdy as modern rifle stocks, for what that's worth.

Seiren posted:

Now, I've heard that something like that misconception above can happen with long-range sniper rifles, where the projectile is propelled with such force that it hasn't yet achieved its maximum speed and continues to accelerate for a distance after it leaves the barrel.

The expanding powder gasses cease to provide any force to the projectile once it leaves the barrel, and it will only decelerate from that point. There are no ballistic firearms for which this is not the case.

The gyrojet family used actual rocket-powered projectiles, which did need a certain amount of time/distance to reach useful velocity, and that is about the only place I can possibly think of where you could get that idea.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Mar 1, 2015

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It could work if the propellant (gunpowder, usually) within the bullet continued to burn after it left the barrel, thus providing a continued propulsion force. Otherwise, as Newton said, without force, there can be no acceleration, and the only forces acting on a projectile after it's been launched are gravity and air resistance. And I imagine it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to aim the shot if the bullet propelled itself afterward - that would unpredictably alter its path, especially if the aerodynamics were anything less than perfect and the bullet spun at all other than around the axis of travel. A tiny bit of lateral force would throw it way off course, and I think that would work as a negative feedback loop - the error would compound.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
I suppose if you arced your shot, the velocity on the downward pull, due to gravity, would increase. But you'd have to be pretty drat far (and up high) to arc a crossbow shot, and you could more than likely say goodbye to any accuracy. Crossbows are more for quick, silent killing from a (shorter than bow) distance. In fact, they're basically best for close-range shooting, thus you'd prefer your target to be in a closer range. There were rather looked down on a bit due to their ease of use (in comparison to bows) meaning any old jack could pick it up and fire it, and they are a lot easier to aim than an actual bow.

But yeah, while they may provide more initial thrust than a bow (dependant on the type of bow, of course, and how well the archer using it is) they don't accelerate whilst in flight. The opposite, in fact.

(Uh, I'm talking medieval tech version here, not modern stuff. Modern stuff has a lot of tech put into it to make it more reliable than the older stuff was.)

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 1, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

FinalGamer posted:

No, because this is a comedy forum and none of them ever asked me such a silly question. However, I would often teach them new ideas by asking them to consider analogous processes rather than explicitly telling them the right answer, as its a good habit to get into before making oneself look silly on an Internet forum.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Theoretically, if there was a strong enough tailwind and the person was magnetically charged opposite of the bolt and it was toward a gravity well with no friction, then it would presumable speed up after...

Help us, Leave. You're our only hope... :shepicide:

See this guy would have been a favoured student :v:

Nidoking posted:

It could work if the propellant (gunpowder, usually) within the bullet continued to burn after it left the barrel, thus providing a continued propulsion force. Otherwise, as Newton said, without force, there can be no acceleration, and the only forces acting on a projectile after it's been launched are gravity and air resistance. And I imagine it would be pretty difficult if not impossible to aim the shot if the bullet propelled itself afterward - that would unpredictably alter its path, especially if the aerodynamics were anything less than perfect and the bullet spun at all other than around the axis of travel. A tiny bit of lateral force would throw it way off course, and I think that would work as a negative feedback loop - the error would compound.

No, it couldn't. The propellant only propels the bullet because it's constrained by the barrel and the rapidly expanding gas has nowhere else to go. The minute it's not constrained by the barrel it takes the easier path of blowing around the bullet and provides no further propulsion. As ArcMage said the only way it would work was if there was propellant (like a rocket engine) actually attached to the projectile, which gunpowder typically is not.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

See this guy would have been a favoured student :v:

Don't tell him, but Dooky Dingo is one of my favorites.

And, I suppose, I'll have an update later today. Just to switch the subject from crossbow mechanics and why you shouldn't hit someone with them up close. Or why you should.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Leavemywife posted:

I've the rhyming capabilities of a deaf howler monkey.

If it makes you feel any better, my rhyming capabilities are probably worse than that.

This just reminds me I was doing a run through on the DS version about several months ago, but never finished. I was actually about to do some of the DS extras, but seeing some of the comments on the thread have made me rethink this. Well, I guess that's one less thing for me to do then.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Three: Where The Hell Are We?

Welcome back! Last time, on Chrono Trigger, we saw Marle go into the Warp and we bravely followed her. Today, we're going to figure out just where we are, so let's bounce.

We had been in the Truce Canyon. Hmm.

And the music on the overworld here is loving awesome. For an alternate version, click me!

If you'll recall, the town where Chrono lives was called Truce, but looked nothing like this. Where's his house?

Inside the Inn, we're berated for not knowing where we are.

Wait, the Fiendlord? We've heard something about that, during the Fair.

Actually, no, we didn't.

Perhaps in a manner of speaking. Let's talk to some of the other people here.

Mummery?

From freedictonary.com:

"mum•mer•y
(ˈmʌm ə ri)

n., pl. -mer•ies.
1. a performance by mummers.
2. any absurd, false, or ostentatious performance or ceremony. "

Maybe not exactly the best term, but it works. Basically, there isn't time around here for that kind of poo poo.

Oh, she's one of those adventurous queens. But what would she be doing where we landed?

One thing I love about this game is that when you're talking to most people, you can move around while their text boxes are on screen. You'll see more than one shot where I'm running around like a fool

That's the only route there? We don't have boats? Does nobody know how to swim?

If you look, you can see someone new has walked into the Inn.

Remember this guy; we'll see him a few more times during our journey. We'll buy him a drink. $10 isn't that much.

: Another mug!

: Well then, a promise is a promise! It's about the missing Queen. My travels have taken me to the Cathedral in the western wood, and there's something most peculiar about that place. It's only a hunch, but --

Perhaps they were, but video games have taught me to distrust most organized religions. There's usually a Pope or something wanting to take over or something. Or else they're all dicks.

We won't stay, but we will run upstairs to see what we can loot.

There's just one thing of interest in here.

A mysterious force seals it shut.

We'll be back for this later. Much later.

Now it's time for the part where we barge into people's homes and interrogate them about whatever the silent protagonist asks about.

: The Queen's vanishing act had me wondering if all this work would be for naught. After all, what's the bell without the Queen, eh? But it seems they found her in the canyon up north. She's back at the castle now, and I'm back to work.

This isn't the only time we'll see Taban's sprite reused. Hell, we already saw it at the Fair; ol' Flattop here is rather popular.

...I've got a theory on why we're here, and perhaps this is more than just a reuse of the Taban sprite.

Well, folks, who among you has put it together? Who knows where we are?

I've got in good authority that it won't be very much longer.

This is the Market, and it's southwest of the house we were just at and north of the other Residence.

This guy has good (if "no poo poo") advice for you, which pops up in a lot of RPGs.

And this fucker is pushy that we spend some of our hard earned cash.

Chrono gets some new duds and a new sword. I shouldn't have bought the armor (I usually never do), but too late now. Besides, it feels good to buy new stuff.

Let's get to the meat of this update.

It's not the forest, even though we'll spend some time here. The forest isn't a proper dungeon, but it's got some goodies hidden around and some new enemies.

Right of the entrance, we encounter a palette swapped Imp already.

And in Chrono Trigger, there aren't random encounters. They're initiated by either running into the enemy or stepping on the proper spot on the map; if you know where you're going and do it right, you can avoid most of the fights in this game. And running around a few fights here and there won't really hurt you in the long run; the game isn't very difficult and it fairly generous with good stuff.

I, however, fight as much as I can. Green Imps here are nothing to write home about, with 32 HP, and they drop 4 exp. They have the same kick the Blue Imps do, and can kick rocks at you for small damage. If your attack doesn't kill them, they'll counter with a small damage kick.

Down and right from that, we find two shinies! However, one of these is a trap.

By going to this one, you trigger another encounter.

Two of these guys pop out of the ground.

But, that's not all! Two Green Imps come over and jump on up.

It's like the Mega-Zord, except they suck and don't fight giant monsters. They've got 30 HP and nothing to set them apart, other than them being two enemies working together. I don't remember any of their attacks, nor did I see any.

The other rock has this treasure for us to enjoy. Strength Capsules (called Tabs in the SNES version) raise a character's Strength by one point when used.

See? A little blue 1 and Chrono is that much stronger. He'll deal a touch more damage now. Most characters benefit from more Strength, but some, like Marle, don't.

While I'm here in the menu, Chrono has another Tech available to learn, but it'll be a while before we learn it. It's also Light elemental, and can hit multiple enemies at once.

And you'll notice that we're no longer listed in the Present. We're now in the Middle Ages.

North of the Strength Capsule is a trapped bush. Three Roundillos pop out and are quickly sent to their graves.

A monster pops out of this bush, too, but it's not a fight.

It runs off, dropping a Shelter for us. At save points and on the world map, we can use one of these to restore our party to full HP and MP.

Chrono gains one level here from the various fights. I also end up using a Potion, since there's quite a few enemies around here if you're trying to get them all for their delicious exp.

South of that, we wind up to the east of the entrance. We could have gone this way to begin with, to take a bit of a shortcut through the forest, but then we miss out on the Strength Capsule that way.

Blue Eagles, which we saw in Truce Canyon, but not as fightable enemies, have 16 HP and can potentially drop Panaceas.

There's a lot of impressive sprite work in this game, and it really shows; when you get this shot of Chrono critting, you actually see him from a different angle.

North of the Blue Eaglets is the exit to this place. But there's a little more looking around to do before we hit the castle.

Granted, it's about as interesting as toenail clippings right now, but it's still there.

For now, let's head in here. I'm sure nothing bad will happen.

Well, that didn't take long.

"No, please, Toriyama just doesn't know how to dress men!"

In the SNES version, he gives you the advice to go back and play with your stamp collection. He also calls you "son".

I'll only take so much more of this, you--

Uh-oh. Mom noticed us fighting! Act casual!

Is it the hair that's longer than his arms? I bet it's that.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Hey, wait a second, isn't there something familiar about this Queen?

Nah, it can't be. I must be imagining things.

Personally, it's hard for me to dislike someone just doing their job.

I'd bet not even the Queen could save us if we ended up in hot water with the King.

So let's just strut on in there. Surely, we can impress the King with our bravado.

Quick, show of hands, who thinks this guy is going to be a dick?

The Chancellor just walks away from us, but this guy is cool. If we need a free heal, we can go rest in the Knights' Quarters.

:pervert:

Uh, didn't they find her in Truce Canyon? I'm pretty sure we didn't see her there, at all, and we've had no other interactions with her outside of where she got the guards off our backs.

: Might you know what befell Leene? She has been acting rather oddly since her return. And she seems to have lost the coral hairpin she always wore. She always treasured that thing so. Forgive me, you must be tired. Please, rest in the knights' quarters down the stairs to the left. I'll speak to the Commander.

Not that I don't appreciate the offer, King Guardia XXI, but I've got a Queen to see about a horse.

Or something. We're going to see the Queen, is what I'm saying.

We have to trudge up a shitload of stairs to reach where the Queen stays. It makes sense, kind of, since we can see the size of the castle before we enter. It's a nice touch, making the castle seem as big inside as it does outside.

There's a treasure chest there, but we just got here. I don't feel comfortable stealing from the castle quite yet.

Another set of steps (not shown) and we're at the top.

We've still got a layer of security to go through, despite the Queen having given us permission to be here. Another nice touch, since it actually makes it seem like she's a valued Queen and not just some crazy woman in a dress.

Well, some women just age well. They've got repertoires of creams, pills, washes, masks, and blood sacrifices to keep them looking youthful.

I believe my final point above would cover that, ma'am.

And, yeah, I didn't talk to the other maid. I also don't remember what she says.

I'm not going to use the :pervert: here, despite the temptation. Besides, I know you're all not reading what's written here and are just thinking it.

And those two clear out, surely to go gossip about what's (or who's) going down in the Queen's chambers.

And so we do.

: Fooled you, didn't I, Chrono?

I doubted you fooled anyone, Marle.

Oops, I guess I spoiled it in my last comment. But, hey, it's Marle!

zomg

: We were only together for that short time at the fair, but somehow I knew you'd come for me. Thank you, Chrono.

Somebody had to get the plot rolling; you did your part by disappearing and Chrono did his.

Le gasp! It's not going to be as easy as it appears!?

Light begins shooting out of Marle and Chrono ineffectually raises his hands, trying to help. He doesn't know what to do here. He's desperate to help in any way.

...Oh, poo poo, that wasn't good.

Leave fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 25, 2015

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

Light begins shooting out of Marle and Chrono ineffectually raises his hands, trying to help. He doesn't know what to do here. He's desperate to help in any way.

...Oh, poo poo, that wasn't good.

It looks like he's jumping with joy at the thought of Marle getting disappeared.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No, because this is a comedy forum and none of them ever asked me such a silly question. However, I would often teach them new ideas by asking them to consider analogous processes rather than explicitly telling them the right answer, as its a good habit to get into before making oneself look silly on an Internet forum.
Fair enough, sorry for thinking I was insulted since I never really explained myself right but the car part made me think "wait really is this an insult or does he really think I don't know that well?" Never really had anyone give analogous processes to me before so that's my fault for taking it the wrong way. :(

Again, didn't explain myself so my bad, HEY NEW UPDATE! I really like how they handle encounters in this game, they're not random but they are sometimes hidden so if you don't know where you're going you usually get ambushed by stepping in the "right" spot. It's a nice way of letting players decide when they return to an area on, whether they want to head TOWARDS the enemies for grinding, or AWAY from them just to move on.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
It's a good thing our money is accepted in all time periods.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy I hope the captain of the guard also doesn't notice our sword when we end up going to trial or execution over this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RareAcumen posted:

Boy I hope the captain of the guard also doesn't notice our sword when we end up going to trial or execution over this.

Who says anyone will ever figure it out before we're long gone?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Who says anyone will ever figure it out before we're long gone?

I'm just assuming that we won't because this game was made back in 95' back when that trope was still fresh. :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm not sure how to feel about the brushed-up localization for this version. Kinda like the one for FF6 -- the new one is probably more thematically accurate, but the goofy SNES-era translations had some charm. For this, they've made the 600 AD people all sound like they came from a post-2006 FF game. But maybe they limit that to this era.

Edit: Dang, all these different spoiler policies in different threads!

Mazed fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 2, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Mazed posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about the brushed-up localization for this version. Kinda like the one for FF6 -- the new one is probably more thematically accurate, but the goofy SNES-era translations had some charm. For this, they've made the 600 AD people all sound like they came from a post-2006 FF game. But maybe they limit that to this era.

Dammit, lol spoilers. :colbert:

Hey, keep the Chrono Trigger spoilers in the FF7 thread where they belong!

George fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 2, 2015

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

George posted:

Hey, keep the Chrono Trigger spoilers in the FF7 thread where they belong!

Please do, yes.

And folks, since I've asked more than once and I have the spoiler policy outlined in the OP, if you keep posting spoilers, even behind tags (which is also prohibited), I WILL lock the thread for a while.

Leave fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 1, 2015

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
Somehow your GIFs are pixel-crisp but your PNGs are a little blurry. Anything you can do about that?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
All I've got to say is that Marle's lucky she got disappeared before the king came upstairs for some reunion lovin'. That'd have been all kinds of awkward.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012

sudonim posted:

Somehow your GIFs are pixel-crisp but your PNGs are a little blurry. Anything you can do about that?

my guess is that he does his gifs in a program that expands it by nearest neighbor but the pics one does by bicubic or something like that...
But it is just a guess

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Waterguy posted:

my guess is that he does his gifs in a program that expands it by nearest neighbor but the pics one does by bicubic or something like that...
But it is just a guess

I wonder if when I do the batch rename in Irfanview if I have it set to resize the shots and that's what's doing it.

That's the only thing I can think of.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Another neat attention to detail thing is that the 'Current Age' popup on the map in this era originally appears as '???' until you talk to enough people to reasonably figure out when it is, and then it updates to 'Middle Ages.'
Also a silent protagonist that says things/asks questions! So rare. :allears:

Mazed posted:

Unfortunately Trigger has even less 'so goofy they're amazing' woolseyism's in it to keep compared to FF6. Overall I like it though simply because it's a bit more cohesive while still being thematic (proper use of 'mirth and mummery' etc.) overall. The middle ages are probably the most-changed though IIRC.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

As best I recall, the original translation stuck with really goofy stereotypes.

Regarding a fairly significant change, though: Does anyone know, whatever the word is in Japanese that they translated as "Mystics" earlier, but they're now just calling the "Fiendlord's army"? Since we're back in the 90s, I'm remembering an anime called Slayers that called the monstrous baddies ("mazoku") something to the effect of either "evil race" or "magic race" but they just changed to "monsters" in some translations, "demons" in others.

Leavemywife posted:

Please do, yes.

Spoiler killed!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'm betting it's Mazoku here too. The Fiendlord is a proper title, which would make his subjects Fiends. Which makes a bit more sense than 'Mystics' considering what they're made of.

It's way better translated than the original where there was a lot of proper noun mis-use going on :pseudo:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
At least the phrasing used in this translation makes it really apparent you're in another time period. The guards teasing you about a stamp collection in the SNES version always seemed weird to me, not to mention being a lame joke in any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

"Fiendlord" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Magus," but other than that I really like this new translation so far.

• Locked thread