Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I have no idea why there isn't a thread on this already!

Reassembly (formerly known as Gamma Void) just released on Steam Feb 19th - it was a Kickstarted game. Holy poo poo is it soul crushingly addictive.

Reassembly is a 2d top-down space ship designing and blow-upping faction based roaming Cool Game. You build ships, kill enemy dude ships, harvest resources from blown up ships and space plants, unlock more poo poo and build bigger ships. Right now, It's fairly open ended - the game generates a universe and you can go cut a path of destruction across a bunch of different AI factions until you decide to gently caress off through a wormhole to a new universe. It's all procedurally generated, and you can conquer territory for your faction and build up a massive fleet - I think fleet size caps out at around 100 ships.

When you reach a wormhole, you have two options - continue to a new world or stay in your current one and upload your fleet to the net. Player uploaded fleets appear in your universe as "Agents" that slowly encroach on your territory to wreck your stations.

Here's a twitter feed of uploaded fleets - all these and more are waiting to gently caress you over! http://www.anisopteragames.com/sync/latest.html

You can also make tournaments! Here's one from when the game was still in alpha or w/e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmXXKPvYaM

We need a goon tourny.

It's 15bux go buy it, it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
:siren:Things that aren't immediately clear:siren:

- When you upload a fleet, it's not uploading what is currently flying around with you. It uploads everything from your fleet menu (press "3"). If you want a lot of ships make sure you fill it up with designs, or multiples. If you included ships with factories, you can make your Agent fleet poo poo out more ships.

- YOU CAN CHANGE WHAT FACTORIES PRODUCE! By default, factories will produce designs from the fleet menu. That means delete poo poo you don't want factories making. To edit what a factory makes manually, enter command mode (tab), mouse over the station / ship with the factory, and press "3". Whatever you see in its child spawning interface, it will produce.

- If you get too far from ship followers, they leave your fleet. Backtrack to where they are to reincorporate them. This can get annoying sometimes.

- There are only two resources - C and R. C is used to unlock blocks, increase your P limit (how big of a ship you can build basically), and "hire" allied ships into your fleet. R can either be traded for C by going near any ship or station with a factory, or can be used to produce ships that join your fleet and follow you around. You need a factory block on your ship to do this.

If you follow the objectives in the bottom right it will guide you through all of the game functions. Then you just go around blowing poo poo up, tweaking ships, trying out different playstyles, and uploading nasty fleets to kill other players in new and interesting ways!

~*~Meet The Factions~*~

http://reassembly.wikia.com/wiki/Meet_the_Factions

So, the factions don't really have names, just numbers officially.

Faction 1

Faction 1 used to be the player faction, and is now mostly obsolete.

Faction 2

This is an unlockable faction. They're peaceful plant dudes, and they won't attack you unless you attack them in game. They can generate resources by using the unlockable seed gun, and growing plants that become sweet purple stuff. They also have solar panels that passively generate resource. This means that you can make a space station (or even a mothership) that's a big loving farm, and then poo poo out tons of ships. Their weapons aren't as good as the default player faction, Faction 8, but they have medium and large sized missles, pretty good point defense, and the longest range cannons in the game. From playing them, it seems like they are meant to build up a big swarm quickly, but it doesn't feel like their biggest ships can go toe to toe with a Faction 8 capital. They have some huge space stations. They have several different tiers of shields, but are somewhat lacking in the thruster department. You can build a big armored ship with them, but it'll be slow. Seems like the preference is on heavily shielded ships.

Faction 3

Another unlockable faction. Faction 3 are probably the hardest faction to play and to design ships for. They have poor armor, no shields, and short ranged weapons. They can't scale up their blocks and are limited to parallelogram shaped hull blocks. Because each hull block has a small amount of health, they are VERY weak to explosive and piercing weapons. To make matters worse, they have NO space stations. Ships are only produced from their battleships. However, they do have one upside - they have good drones and some very powerful high tier weapons. A challenge to play as, but I find myself really attracted to their aesthetics. Usually the first faction you'll start picking on when you start your first game.

Faction 4

Faction 4 are another unlockable faction. They have good shields, and most uniquely custom spinal mounted cannons. They get blocks that allow them to modify fire rate, damage, range, and other things for these guns, potentially allowing them to build the most powerful guns in the game. When starting out, you'll them a bitch to kill as pretty much everything has a shield, sometimes multiple ones on even their smallest ships.

Faction 5

Just a placeholder for the plants in the game - these plants grow on structures and debris. When killed or when they die and decay, they leave behind purple biomass which serves as the games primary resource. Once a plant gets big enough, it shoots out seeds to spread. Pretty cool mechanic.

Faction 6

Borg type dudes. They spread white rectangular buildings on structures just like plants do. They only use lasers and laser drones. Not really dangerous as they don't seem to have a big nasty ship yet. Not playable.

Faction 7

Self replicating tiny ships. Can be dangerous only when you first start out - if you die to them you'll end up letting them reproduce like mad, and they can tractor beam in destroyed weapons to actually get some firepower. I had a minelaying ship, and they were attaching mines to themselves and ramming me.

Faction 8

The default player faction. Large variety of weapons and hull block shapes, and the most fleshed out faction. Proton Swords own.

Faction 9

Placeholder faction for asteroids.

Faction 10

Identical to Faction 8 in parts - contain ships that were designed by alpha testers, can be pretty nasty.

Faction 11

You'll find these guys near the center of the universe. They are unlockable. They have very strong cannons and very high health hull. Despite having no shields, they're probably the strongest faction in the game.

Faction 12

Their zones are littered with neat looking buildings that sort of look like some sort of cityscape. They have decent drones and HOLYFUCK powerful short ranged lasers. Really deadly early on, but taper off late game. Another unlockable faction. Very light and fast ships.

Faction 13

Sorta like the Flood - they spread aggressive plant life like weeds. Weak ships, but every plant has some kind of weapon, be it lasers or dumbfire "thorn" missles. If you're well shielded they are pushovers, but annoying to clear. Don't have any large ships from what I've seen.

Faction 14

I've never seen these dudes in game - they only have large ships and no factories, so they never produce more ships.

Faction 15

The third type of plant dudes. They can be very strong - no shields, but lot of hull health, high damage, slow firing cannons, piercing lasers, and nukes. They hit hard, but are short ranged. They have special armor blocks that do bonus damage when ramming dudes. The last unlockable faction.

AGENTS

Every time a player uploads a fleet from a wormhole, they go into a database. Every time you generate a universe, you get random Agent spawns that consist of player fleets. They can be seen as red arrows on the map. If you click on them, it will tell you the size and P cost of the most expensive ship in the fleet.

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 25, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game would be more fun if I had any sort of idea what I was doing. Kind of just flying around getting blown up while trying to figure out what all these different resources and how to get them.

EDIT: I meant, I'm still enjoying it, I just feel like I'd be having a lot more fun if I actually knew what to do other than shoot stuff and then blow up.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 25, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
There are only two resources - C and R. C is used to unlock blocks, increase your P limit (how big of a ship you can build basically), and "hire" allied ships into your fleet. R can either be traded for C by going near any ship or station with a factory, or can be used to produce ships that join your fleet and follow you around. You need a factory block on your ship to do this. If you follow the objectives in the bottom right it will guide you through all of the game functions. Then you just go around blowing poo poo up, tweaking ships, trying out different playstyles, and uploading nasty fleets to kill other players in new and interesting ways!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

More people need to play this game. It's pretty amazing. The OP is right about how addictive it is. I have been working 10 hour shifts for 2 weeks now and I am still up till 2 am every night building more ships!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I wasn't really feeling his at first because of how overwhelming trying to figure stuff out at the start is. I started to get the hang of it though so I played a bit more and oh god did I really just spend 4 hours making space squids without even noticing :shepface:

Seems like there's a lot of cool stuff you can make. I'm gonna try and make fleets that are aesthetically interesting rather than just as efficient as possible, even if it means the AI gets confused and spins around in circles because I gave it nothing but angled thrusters.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yeah seriously play this game at your own risk

There's an official tournament running on Sunday if you guys want to submit some designs

http://www.anisopteragames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1254&sid=f4f35e272342bb4a36c6f5b934fd0951

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is there a way to upload/download ship designs? I messed around with it for a little bit yesterday but didn't have time to do an exhaustive search.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
When your building a ship, look at the bottom of the screen. There should be an export option. Ships are exported / imported as .pngs

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I played a bunch of this game last night and I think the closest comparison I can make is to Mount and Blade. It's got the same feeling of fighting and improving and then leading a larger and larger force until you're dashed on the rocks and try again with new and improved forces. In this game though you're not constrained by having preset units, you get to design each and every one and it gives this game a really refreshing take. The AI seems really competent even with my incredibly awful designs. The ambient AI that controls the seeds and neutral factions all act in a really cool sort of ephemeral and natural way. Plants actually growing and spreading in real time is super cool too.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm looking at modding in a hard mode and greater ship variety for the default factions :getin:

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
No dickships in OP?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I'm open to submissions

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
I'm guessing the reason it's not more popular is because it crashes all the time, at least for me. The game rarely runs for 20 minutes at a time before crashing, usually losing the ability to render a display level (usually the blueprints editor, sometimes the main game screen) before finally dying. I'd suspect my graphics card but everything else runs fine, and there doesn't appear to be any graphics card updates. Maybe it's only built for nvidia?

Also, the game has some problems. You can make two sides use the exact same blocks at the exact same latch points, and then it won't be perfectly symmetrical for... reasons. In addition, it's very hard to find parts that fill in, because the game allows no tolerance for over/under sizing

so if you have a space like | |, trying to connect the two sides is EXTREMELY fiddly.

Either way, buyer beware that the game is still a bit... buggy. But
fun! I still keep trying to play it and figure out how to make not bad ships.

EDIT: apparently all of this was fixed on a patch LITERALLY THE DAY I POSTED THIS. Except for the bits that were never true.

Post launch support! :toot:

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 27, 2015

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

BlondRobin posted:

I'm guessing the reason it's not more popular is because it crashes all the time, at least for me. The game rarely runs for 20 minutes at a time before crashing, usually losing the ability to render a display level (usually the blueprints editor, sometimes the main game screen) before finally dying. I'd suspect my graphics card but everything else runs fine, and there doesn't appear to be any graphics card updates. Maybe it's only built for nvidia?

Also, the game has some problems. You can make two sides use the exact same blocks at the exact same latch points, and then it won't be perfectly symmetrical for... reasons. In addition, it's very hard to find parts that fill in, because the game allows no tolerance for over/under sizing

so if you have a space like | |, trying to connect the two sides is EXTREMELY fiddly.

Either way, buyer beware that the game is still a bit... buggy. But fun! I still keep trying to play it and figure out how to make not bad ships.

Yeah I had that crashing thing like every time I died and then I guess maybe an hour in last night it patched and I haven't crashed since. If you haven't played since last night give it a shot it might be fixed.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Weird, I haven't had any crashes at all.

There's always a block that has is 1xsqrt(1) sized or something - it can by upscaled or downscaled and gets around weirdness with octagons and other weird shaped blocks. I'll take a screenshot when I get home to show you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't had any crashes either for what its worth.

Got to a wormhole with the plant dudes. Kind of hated playing them, felt like my weapons were way weaker than every other factions. Having good shields doesn't matter when you do crap damage so you lose anyways. Oh well, maybe one of you will blow up my squad of faceships.

The "worst" part of this game is that almost every player faction I see is just the default ships. Sometimes they've been slightly modified to have 5 layers of shields though and spam a billion drones. Exciting :geno:

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Prokhor posted:

Yeah I had that crashing thing like every time I died and then I guess maybe an hour in last night it patched and I haven't crashed since. If you haven't played since last night give it a shot it might be fixed.

Actually, now that I'm off work I'm playing it a bit and it doesn't seem to be crashing!

Party Alarm, I haven't seen said block, at least for the default faction; if you have an image of what it is, I'd love to see it. Not being able to make my designs link up has been extremely aggravating.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Now I want Warning Forever but multiplayer.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

The block in question and weird octagons

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm really liking faction 15. They don't have many weapons but all of their weapons are actually good, as opposed to the other factions I've played where half the weapons seem to suck and should never be used. Their short range piercing lasers are awesome, albeit hard to use. Plus all their angled blocks results in some pretty ships;

I was trying to think of what this game reminded me of and it actually feels a lot like a fleshed out version of Spore's cell stage. Your designing ships instead of cells but there's that same sense of progression from being a tiny weak little guy that runs from everything and then coming back later to bully everything as a giant. Only you can also tell all your friends to come help you and then die anyways because they're too busy ramming into asteroids.

Oh yeah, how exactly do wormholes work in terms of what ends up in other people's games? Is it exactly what is in your fleet when you touch it or something else? I swear I've seen single player ships flying around with no allies and then huge swarms of them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 27, 2015

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It's what's in your fleet menu aka the 3 menu. Fill up all the slots if you want a full sized fleet. If you have ships with factories you can be really annoying and multiply too. There's some kind of minimum and maximum strength specified in the games params of 10k and 20k respectively. I gotta ask the Dev what it does. I'm assuming its a P cap

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So I decided to play as the plant people, made a shitzillion space dollars with a massive asteroid covered in plants. How do I get my ships to spread out and do things other than manual controlling them?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Drone_Fragger posted:

So I decided to play as the plant people, made a shitzillion space dollars with a massive asteroid covered in plants. How do I get my ships to spread out and do things other than manual controlling them?

AI seems to branch out on its own over time. Tell a station to produce ships and those ships will bring supplies back to the station so it can make more ships. They don't seem to spread very aggressively though. When I played as the plant dudes they all just bunch up together farming plants for eternity. If you want more land you'll probably have to go drag them into a massive fuckoff fleet and go manifest destiny on the galaxy.

Also I discovered that apparently the game website tracks all the fleets uploaded on your profile so you can just see what you've sent out by looking up your name. Its really cool.

Here's the last fleet I uploaded. The ship that looks like a huge jaw is really fun to fly because I can just cruise through an enemy fleet and scoop up all the small ships with the jaws while the autoturrets splatter them.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Fun way to get plant dudes to spread like cancer is to poo poo out factory ships with seed guns and structure built on themselves so they cover themselves with money plants. "Sell" the ships out of your fleet and they'll stick around where you left them.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Party Alarm posted:

The block in question and weird octagons

That's great, but I meant problems like this:

That is too small for any existent block. 1x1 is not the smallest space possible, it's merely the smallest block possible, so if I want to make that joinable I have to spend a ton of time, space, and weight fiddling with the polygonal non-90 degree triangle to adjust the angle and space to get it back to whole numbers. As a result, the best blocks to use are just a million blocks and 90-degree triangles- using the polygonal non-90 degree triangle is almost always asking for trouble.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Thats a situation where you need to use multiple of those blocks at the right scale to bridge the gap. Zoom out so I can see what's causing it and I may be able to help

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Party Alarm posted:

Thats a situation where you need to use multiple of those blocks at the right scale to bridge the gap. Zoom out so I can see what's causing it and I may be able to help

It's a quick-and-dirty mod of the Bat for whichever faction number this is- I was having a problem where on approach to enemies they'd usually blow my guns out (because they're frail and exposed) so I shoved some armor in front. I know if I use a bunch of the polygons I can eventually get it back on whole numbers, but at that point I'll probably have to have huge, unwieldy structures dedicated solely to getting the math sane again.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Yea, I think they need to add a block to every design that will just auto-fill the area between two blocks so you can fill spaces like that.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://www.twitch.tv/manylegged

Tournament stream, hasn't started yet. Dev is answering questions

Orv
May 4, 2011

Party Alarm posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/manylegged

Tournament stream, hasn't started yet. Dev is answering questions

So uh, clarify for me, are they running the fake Deadliest Warrior combat simulation with spaceships?

E: Hahah, they totally are, awesome.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 1, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pretty fun getting to play as the giant city devouring monster.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Anyone got any tips on how to make something that can fly good? I am getting wrecked because I can't control myself very good.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Nuebot posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to make something that can fly good? I am getting wrecked because I can't control myself very good.

If you're just getting started, it's hard to go wrong with a spherical laser ball- put a handful of the cheapo lasers (6p for that weapon is hilariously OP early-game), thrusters in each direction, then surround it in random armor bits. Switch to Absolute Direction with the [R] key, and it's the cheapest, easiest way to blitz through early stuff so you can build up points to unlock stuff. Add some shields to flavor.

Aside from that, remember that thrusters can be stacked, so you can do
code:
BBBBB
     T
     T
     T
and try to always have your thrusters at a 90-degree angle. If you make your ship symmetrical, yes, in theory your thrusters should all balance out... but in practice the game seems to get upset if it has to calculate two thrusters pushing you at so-and-so angle vs. another at the opposite yadda yadda.

in other words, try to build like
code:
   T
TTTBBB
   T
not
code:
    T 
     T
      BBB
     T 
    T
or something.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I managed to unlock the factory and made a big nearly indestructible shielded factory. Felt good to be space-god for like half an hour before some plants killed me.

EDIT: not entirely unlike the Gundam franchise, I feel that Bits are entirely over powered.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 1, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

If your ship doesn't have shields, don't leave thrusters or guns exposed. At least for the default player faction their guns and thrusters have garbage health and will blow up the second something bumps against them. Thing is, everything functions just fine even when its surrounded by a layer of armour. So try to put your main movement thrusters inside the ship rather than on the exterior, so if you do get hit your thrusters are less likely to instantly blow up and cost you all your mobility.

In other words, don't do this;

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

why cant i fit my factory on my ship in a symmetrical fashion? holy poo poo i need my ship to be symmetrical

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

If your ship doesn't have shields, don't leave thrusters or guns exposed. At least for the default player faction their guns and thrusters have garbage health and will blow up the second something bumps against them. Thing is, everything functions just fine even when its surrounded by a layer of armour. So try to put your main movement thrusters inside the ship rather than on the exterior, so if you do get hit your thrusters are less likely to instantly blow up and cost you all your mobility.

In other words, don't do this;

The ginormous "asteroid relocation" thrusters are reasonably safe to leave outside. They take up way more space than an equivalent stack of smaller thrusters but it's hard to beat the point cost and durability.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Gay Hitler posted:

why cant i fit my factory on my ship in a symmetrical fashion? holy poo poo i need my ship to be symmetrical

Use the /___\ shaped block. It'll let you convert two points to one for something like the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Take note of the mass of those ginormous thrusters though. They are very heavy. Don't use them on small ships

• Locked thread