Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

It saddens me that bigfooty is so awful that there's a tiny voice at the back of the head saying that might actually be sincere rather than a really well constructed joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

For those that don't want to subject themselves to a whole thread of Bigfooty

quote:

Personally I found the dance quite terrifying. Don't get me wrong, I am a big supporter of the indigenous round and Aborigines in general. I adore the native styled guernsey, and the pretty dot things. I even collect Aboriginal art from charming artists in remote localities (which I donate to the National Gallery for tax purposes). I like "Adam", though I don't know him personally and think he was a servicible Australian of the year (but not as deserving as Rosie Battie). But when he reacted to someone likening him to an animal I started to doubt whether he was, as his name might suggest, good at all. How would a 13 year old girl even know that it is wrong to be racist? I didn't know until an incident at a party when I was 35. And now the dance. Well, it was just...so...Aboriginal. I mean did he have to do something so cultural? It scared me because I thought I was just watching Australian football, you know, listening to Bruce and Wayne, having a cup of tea, feeling quite safe, and then, all of a sudden there was a real Aboriginal person expressing cultural pride right there in front of me. I thought they were just down and out but good at art and football? It frightens me to think they might actually be proud of their heritage. What does this mean for me?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it considered racist though for people to take the piss out of his dance though? I mean I'm from Philadelphia I'm pretty sure we'd poo poo on the All Blacks doing a Haka (assuming people played Rugby beyond the collegial level in the US), but more for reasons of team pride and us being assholes and (largely) not to be racist shits.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gfanikf posted:

Is it considered racist though for people to take the piss out of his dance though? I mean I'm from Philadelphia I'm pretty sure we'd poo poo on the All Blacks doing a Haka (assuming people played Rugby beyond the collegial level in the US), but more for reasons of team pride and us being assholes and (largely) not to be racist shits.

okay 1) they aren't "taking the piss", they are indignant about him daring to do it in the first place

and 2) philadelphia sports fans are not the shining beacon of racial tolerance we should be aspiring to

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gough Suppressant posted:

okay 1) they aren't "taking the piss", they are indignant about him daring to do it in the first place
No, I'm asking that if people did (not what is currently going on) make fun of the dance would it still be considered racist?

quote:

and 2) philadelphia sports fans are not the shining beacon of racial tolerance we should be aspiring to
Hey we're assholes to everyone regardless of their background.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I tipped carlton to lose by 60 last week and 80 this week :argh:

I tipped them by 60, then thought it was too round a number and changed it to 58 :argh:

Also I saw the Goodes dance on the TV behind the bar getting a drink after seeing Mad Max, first thing I said was "That is awesome", second thing "I bet the I'm not racist BUT people are loving exploding online right now"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Since calling out Philly fans as especially racist I've been schooled by someone way more informed than me about it and turns out I'm a big dumbo

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Went to the pub. A few girls there gave me a bit of attention but nothing amazing, and Dave pulled out some pretty fantastic puns.

Oh and I see Australian's are still racist and Carlton are still poo poo. Good to have my world view confirmed, I give the evening a 6.5/10

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I really can't watch games like that all the way through anymore.

I just feel badly for all involved.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

hiddenmovement posted:

Went to the pub. A few girls there gave me a bit of attention but nothing amazing, and Dave pulled out some pretty fantastic puns.

Oh and I see Australian's are still racist and Carlton are still poo poo. Good to have my world view confirmed, I give the evening a 6.5/10

Jumpers for Goalposts???

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

For all your Philly fan needs, you can't go past The Dollop Podcast!

Here is the fans of Philadelpha

But to be fair, Cleveland also sounds hilarious, check Ten Cent Beer Night which is probably the greatest sports story ever.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Happy to say that the only post I've seen from any of my Facebook friends regarding Adam Goodes, which I saw just now, was to tell all the people calling Goodes a flog that, in fact, they were the flogs.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I can sort of understand the defenders of the girl (they're wrong, but I can see why some would take that stance) and the people that find Goodes a little too 'uppity' (though they are also wrong and pretty racist) but there is no logical reason to be offended by this. An indigenous spokesperson does something indigenous in the indigenous round? Scandal!

The story, or potential story as it didn't turn out to be anything, would have been a connection to the evicted fan, but without that I feel like this is just commentators creating something from nothing and idiots jumping on the bandwagon. I don't know if it's racism so much as susceptibility.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

ewe2 posted:

But to be fair, Cleveland also sounds hilarious, check Ten Cent Beer Night which is probably the greatest sports story ever.

Seconding this. The Dollop is a great podcast and these two episodes are spectacular.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I can only assume that the next time a Kiwi rugby team does the haka, there will be a flood of comments about how they are all flogs doing their gay little dance.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I didn't sleep well at all, after people who are usually pretty progressive got offended by my "white people are the worst" comments on FB.

"I'm afraid we disagree significantly on this issue. I'm tired of being stereotyped and being spoken for because I'm white. A vocal majority will always attract more attention because the squeakiest wheel makes the most noise. Riewoldt used to get booed week in and week out 5 years ago but do you think he made a scene about it? No. He dealt with it, like any strong player should. There was no mention of racsism then. Why should there be now?"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm not racist but adam goodes is literally a neanderthal.

I think I'm loving done with the bigfooty demons board, sorry thread but this may mean you cop it a bit more.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gfanikf posted:

Really? I mean calling people with dark skin apes....is kinda top tier racism that doesn't involve kicking the poo poo out of someone.

Thanks!

I meant the people not crazy enough to be posting about it, which I always assume is the majority.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I can't believe how much it got to me. I actually contemplated putting off a visit to my Dad today because I don't have the energy or linguistic skills to be arguing it out with him.

Nod and agree, die a little inside. Just like childhood.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm not racist but adam goodes is literally a neanderthal.

I think I'm loving done with the bigfooty demons board, sorry thread but this may mean you cop it a bit more.

I didn't think that was possible!

luncheon meat posted:

:smith:

My Dad can be that way sometimes, but can be talked around a bit. In his case it's just keeping calm and explaining things in a "how would you feel if...?" Type way.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm just glad that the only friend/family member that I've talked to about it agrees entirely with me about this.

EDIT: I would have been super disappointed if he didn't since he's a teacher and all.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

:australia:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I didn't think that was possible!

anything is possible, you've just got to believe.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

luncheon meat posted:

I can't believe how much it got to me. I actually contemplated putting off a visit to my Dad today because I don't have the energy or linguistic skills to be arguing it out with him.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Gerard Whately posted:

We set up a round to salute aboriginal influence in our game, and an indigenous man shows what is in his heart and at least half the community says "oh no, you can't do that"

sums it up pretty loving well.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just a reminder to everyone that it really is 2015. That is all.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's pathetic really.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Australia has a sickness of the soul

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotXGpd_owg

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Good one.
https://newmatilda.com/2015/05/30/adam-goodes-displays-his-culture-during-indigenous-round-australia-implodes

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Look at these uppity blackfellas
https://youtu.be/HGWK3gVMvWU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ewe2 posted:

Awesome I have to give them both a listen. Thanks!

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Listening to 720 Perth talkback this morning was pretty heartwarming after the cowardly way the Fox Footy panel dealt with it last night. The hosts (Ken Judge and someone else whose name escapes me atm) were blunt in stating that anyone who thought it wasn't racist was kidding themselves.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
This whole thing has just been so depressing. Thankfully my Facebook is free of it. I took a glance at Bigfooty and wanted to claw my eyes out.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Martin Flanagan just made a pretty good point on the ABC. Even people who are not consciously or subconsciously racist, and are booing Adam Goodes because he has slid into people, or played up for free kicks or whatever, are providing cover for racist attitudes, and that alone is a pretty compelling reason to stop loving doing it.

quote:

Channel Seven commentator Denis Cometti seemed to be uneasy with the dance on-air, while Bruce McAvaney joked it was the kind of thing you'd see on Dancing With The Stars.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire, who made an on-air comment in 2013 that Goodes should promote the King Kong musical, called the act "strange". Fox Footy commentator Barry Hall told viewers that his former teammate's actions "weren't great".

"I understand he's very proud of his heritage and where he's from and that's fine. But I really don't like to see this," Hall said.

burn the country to the ground and salt the earth

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 30, 2015

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I like how all the people that claim they are booing Goodes because he plays for frees or trips/slides into people or whatever don't boo other players that do that.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
Update: Dad didn't mention Goodes at all, we just sledged Carlton a bit and talked about the Eagles & Dockers games coming up. Still feel lovely about the whole thing of course but I was pleasantly surprised by that!

There's hope for Australia yet... Right......... riiiiiiiiight? :smith:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
My Facebook is free of it, or at least the people I thought might possibly say something didn't. But I feel like unfollowing any AFL related pages because it's the comments there that are just bigfootyesque. I actually reported a couple, Facebook gets back to me after a review saying they found nothing offensive about them. Ok?

It probably means nothing but I sent Goodes a tweet just as a bit of support and thanked him for doing something cool like he did. Like, the haka is loving awesome. American marching bands are awesome. Irish dancing is awesome. And this was awesome. But it was at least a bit warming seeing a lot of other tweets to Goodes in support. Helps balance out the bigfooty/Facebook stuff. But unfortunately most of them were attacked. Not surprising almost every argument I saw ended with the person who was defending Goodes saying "I just can't explain this to you any simpler".

In other news - "I didn't know your man Franklin was aboriginal. How longs he been that?" - Mum.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
carn the dees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-man-who-sparked-kevin-sheedys-fascination-with-aboriginal-australia-20150529-ghcd2g.html

I hope tonight my faith in sporting Australia is redeemed, that no one is made uncomfortable for the overt display of aboriginalness and rejoices in it. I hope that indigenous commentators soon become a fixture on all programs and that every blackfella does a wardance tonight.

I can't believe that #rubbo is a voice of reason on this.

• Locked thread