Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

baw posted:

Difficult to say, but maybe something like this:

From Fox News' message board. Fox News is the prominent right-wing news network in the US, and here they attempt to use fashion to make a statement about a person's character.

More pictures are important, since this is a discussion about how things look.

The Chevrolet & Franck Sorbier catwalk at Paris Fashion week 2010. A 1978 Camaro is not practical by today's automotive standards, but still exhibits an important, and possibly timeless, aesthetic appeal.
Are you trying to have us write your report?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Are you trying to have us write your report?

yeah and I'm gonna fail at this rate

Remy is consistently the best-dressed man in the room in House of Cards

Underwood wears a hidden button-down collar shirt. He is the only character wearing this type of collar in these scenes.

For everyday life, clothing choices can be semi-random. Many people just choose things in their closet that don't look like poo poo and call it a day. When it comes to a blockbuster production, however, a decent costume designer will make sure every clothing choice is made for a precise reason.

So, while using spoiler tags when applicable, what do these two stylistic choices say about the characters?

baw fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 28, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

frank is a vulgar motherfucker, or at least likes to keep up appearances of such so as to appear either a) dim (so as to be underestimated) or b) folksy

remy is a complete snob and puts a lot of stock in appearances. he intimidates where frank charms or outright bullies.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

baw posted:

This also highlights something important; everyone makes fashion decisions whether they claim to be fashionable or not. Every thing that you put on your body is a conscious decision based on both practicality (I think that good quality, practical clothing is always fashionable but this breaks our rule of limiting the discussion to the impractical) or aesthetics, some people just put more thought into it than others. While you may want to go without adornment, social and legal standards compel you to make some kind of choices, even if only the minimum of thought is put into them. So then the question is, what goes through the head of a person when they are choosing what to wear, and what does that thought process say about the individual?

Very true. I pretty much exclusively wear Brooks Brothers. It is inoffensively corporate and expensive enough that people don't look down their noses at you. Plus, it comes off really quickly when I get out of public. Happily thoughtless.

I still wish we didn't have to wear them at all.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Clothing should be about comfort and utility before aesthetics. This is why I categorically refuse to wear a tie as it manages to be an affront against both merely in the name of what is thought to be proper due to social conventions. While I understand that fashion can be an outlet for personal identification, I feel that most of the time it's merely another tool of classism, to easily sort out who does and doesn't belong.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

So what kind of thinking goes into your fashion decisions? You consciously choose which clothes to purchase, so there must be some rational thought behind your fashion choices.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

baw posted:

So what kind of thinking goes into your fashion decisions? You consciously choose which clothes to purchase, so there must be some rational thought behind your fashion choices.

I buy lots of argyle sweaters because they look good and make me look good. That is as far as I think it through.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

baw posted:

Mostly comfort, does it match the average temperature of Southern California, does it fit loosely enough to give a lot of freedom of motion while still being tight enough that it's not going to get caught on something. Second is functionality, I have a pretty active lifestyle so I need to know that it can take abrasion and general wear and tear. I'm in the field a lot so generally I like stuff that's thick enough to keep the insects and sharp plants out. Is the color dark enough to keep mud and ash stains from showing up, or even better is it stain resistant?

After this then things like color and stuff comes into play, but it's mostly as a signal to other people. Something bright or with a simple design if I'm thinking I'll be wearing it during social occasions, drab if I think it's just going to be something for work/errands. And price is always a consideration, but not the defining one.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

everything should fit with everything else. so it's mostly piquets and v-sweaters/shirts. colours should preferably match the season and whatever jacket i'll be wearing, which is dictated by weather. long underwear goes with everything (because you can't see it, you see).

baw
Nov 5, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Mostly comfort, does it match the average temperature of Southern California, does it fit loosely enough to give a lot of freedom of motion while still being tight enough that it's not going to get caught on something. Second is functionality, I have a pretty active lifestyle so I need to know that it can take abrasion and general wear and tear. I'm in the field a lot so generally I like stuff that's thick enough to keep the insects and sharp plants out. Is the color dark enough to keep mud and ash stains from showing up, or even better is it stain resistant?

After this then things like color and stuff comes into play, but it's mostly as a signal to other people. Something bright or with a simple design if I'm thinking I'll be wearing it during social occasions, drab if I think it's just going to be something for work/errands. And price is always a consideration, but not the defining one.

So if "drab" is associated with work and "bright" is associated with social gatherings, what does that say about the culture that you live in?

Is this a common standard in other societies?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

baw posted:

So if "drab" is associated with work and "bright" is associated with social gatherings, what does that say about the culture that you live in?

Is this a common standard in other societies?

Nope! Working in Nigeria was like being around a bunch of peacocks. I loved the fashion and employees of both sexes would constantly try to one-up each other.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
"Is it recognizably expensive enough that customers (and to a lesser extent, bosses and co-workers) who care about that sort of thing will appreciate it while being inoffensively corporate enough not to offend potential customers."

Comfort doesn't really factor into it. Clothing is always going to be less comfortable than nakedness. You can minimize the discomfort (and impress people who care about clothing) by having it tailored, so I do that. Once I have a little bit more scratch, I'm just going to a tailor to have some clothes made.

That will also be nice because I won't have to worry how the clothes look, since that is the tailor's job. It's like getting a haircut. I figure the barber/stylist has a better idea what hairstyles are fashionable and look good than I do. So I let them make that decision. Then I have them do a quick primer on teaching me how to style it at home. My recreations don't have the same "eye" that theirs do, so if it is really important I'll wake up early and have them do my hair.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

baw posted:

i just wear what's cheap dude or what someone brought me for my birthday/christmas

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is why I categorically refuse to wear a tie as it manages to be an affront against both merely in the name of what is thought to be proper due to social conventions. While I understand that fashion can be an outlet for personal identification, I feel that most of the time it's merely another tool of classism, to easily sort out who does and doesn't belong.

This is equally a statement of class & personal identification!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sinnlos posted:

I buy lots of argyle sweaters because they look good and make me look good. That is as far as I think it through.

But do they? Perhaps you should think harder on this.

• Locked thread