Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
The Amazing Race is back! After a really solid Season 25, the producers decided -- as they do -- that "good enough" wouldn't do, so they introduced a new gimmick.

Season 26 will be all dating couples. If that idea didn't sound terrible enough, 5 teams will consist of two players who have never met before. Producers are marketing it as "the ultimate blind date."

Here's a description of the show written by SteveVizsla, who was kind enough to let me take over this season:

quote:

If you haven't watched the show before, the premise is quite simple: teams of two race around the world, one "pit stop" to the next, completing tasks and deciphering clues along the way. First team to a pit stop in each episode wins a prize. Last team to a pit stop has a strong chance of being eliminated. Eventually, we get to our final three teams, who finish the race with a leg in the United States, and whoever wins that leg earns the coveted prize of $1,000,000. Expect a lot of laughs, a fair amount of drama, less crying than last season, and for the word 'amazing' to be thrown out way, way too much. Since season 18, this show has been broadcast in HD.

Season 26 begins February 25 9:30/8:30c on CBS! Episode 2 will be two days later, February 27.
:siren: Note that while the premiere is on a Wednesday, the show will continue airing on Friday night thereafter. This "death slot" is good for your DVR, but not so good for ratings. :siren:

Check out the cast page and let us know who you're rooting for.

Previous Threads:
The Amazing Race 25
The Amazing Race 24
The Amazing Race 23
The Amazing Race 22
The Amazing Race 21
The Amazing Race 20
The Amazing Race 19
The Amazing Race 18
The Amazing Race 17
The Amazing Race 16
The Amazing Race 15
The Amazing Race 14

queertea fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

What the gently caress, no lesbian couples? :(

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I wish Blair and Rochelle were on the same team so I could have someone to root for.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've got a feeling I never saw the last half of last season so I might have to track it down if the general consensus was positive.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

xcore posted:

I've got a feeling I never saw the last half of last season so I might have to track it down if the general consensus was positive.
I really liked it, though I understand why a lot of people weren't happy about the final "twist."
Then again, my favorite season is 21, so I may not be the best person to ask. :v:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Aww you forgot the poll. I've decided to not look at the cast at all, I want to watch the first episode and see how I feel.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
What, TWO gay couples this year? Who am I supposed to want to support but then become ashamed of when they crash and burn?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

:siren:

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
ugh

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Steve & Aly are my early pick to win. Pretty ambivalent about most of the contestants so far.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Completely forgot there was another Knight in NKOTB.

Also pageant consultant, ugh.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
:siren: A U-Turn on the first leg! :siren:

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Selfie cam

Really

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

RX is so awkward. He does not like her one bit.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
The pilot guy sounds exactly like Phil

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
This selfie business is getting really old already.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

queertea posted:

This selfie business is getting really old already.

Seems like they really dug in for sponsors this year. I'm surprised they didn't create teams using Match.com profiles or something.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wait is the selfie poo poo actually product placement for something? What terrible work...

ColonelKlink
Apr 17, 2002

"How old are you?"
'GUESS'
"35?"
'NO'
"31?"
'YEAH'
"Okay! Selfie camera!"<frowns>

Wow! What an awesome new season!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Wait is the selfie poo poo actually product placement for something? What terrible work...

Yeah. Half the teams have taken them and they all have the same phone.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Thank God they did away with the Save this year.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

SteveVizsla posted:

Yeah. Half the teams have taken them and they all have the same phone.

I know but you'd think they would be way more obvious, or at least zoom in on the logo for the phone... Like make the teams be like, "Lets take a selfie with this Iphone 6."

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I know but you'd think they would be way more obvious, or at least zoom in on the logo for the phone... Like make the teams be like, "Lets take a selfie with this Iphone 6."

Oh I'm sure it will be soon. There'll be a challenge to get a selfie with these X people in a town or something.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Yeah the Doctor dude sure seems like he'd love to just leave her behind.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Amazing Selfie should just do away with the racing part and just be a show where idiots take selfies of themselves in different parts of the world.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

"Who can lose the most weight... While racing 35 thousand miles around the world!"

"Who can kick their drug addiction... While racing across the globe!"

R to the J
Sep 2, 2004

The biggest e-penis of them all!

iuvian posted:

"Who can lose the most weight... While racing 35 thousand miles around the world!"

"Who can kick their drug addiction... While racing across the globe!"

Did anyone here watch Around the World in 80 Plates? It was this show on Bravo, this weird Top Chef/Amazing Race hybrid. I actually kind of liked it and was disappointed that they didn't seem to go for a second season.

As to the actual show, I came into it about 25 minutes late. Was shocked that nobody tried to switch detours. Have no real opinion about any of the teams just yet.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I actually didn't mind the blind date thing that much, to be honest. I was entertained throughout.

Also, I thought the doctor dude was kind of coming around on his partner by the end of the episode.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

sportsgenius86 posted:

I actually didn't mind the blind date thing that much, to be honest. I was entertained throughout.

Also, I thought the doctor dude was kind of coming around on his partner by the end of the episode.

I bet they get engaged. Someone has to on a season with 11 couples, right?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

The girl is kind of annoying, but that doctor is a loving prick. I've known enough doctors and he seems to be one of the bad ones. I'm hoping NKOTB and his head case boyfriend, lawyers, or the white hetero blind date ones win. They all seemed like decent people. Seeing Genki Sudo on the amazing race was pretty surreal though. I used to watch him beat people up and forgot he was a dancing machine now.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

I dunno, the whole episode screamed producer prodding way more than normal. Lady with the "we're getting married right?" comments every few seconds, the selfies particularly the group one, a few other comments.

Between that and the constant hashtags under team names, swipes across the screen whatever and the death slot I'm fearing that I'm going to be fastforwarding through the show a lot/missing an ep and not coming back just like last season. Do they really think this stuff is going to bring some new viewer in?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I guess they're hoping to rope in the youngins with hashtags and selfies :sigh:

#TruckStopLove would be a better hashtag for a gay couple tbh

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Correctly retrieve one bottle of alcohol or memorize and perform a long and complicated dance routine.

Hmmmm.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
All that selfie nonsense, did they even mention the name of the phone? The only effective product placement that worked on me were Travelocity (years of hammering it in) and Fitbit.

Also, that phone has a GPS on it, cheat you dummies.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The selfie thing is going to get annoying.

I'm amazed no one actually switched detours. Especially since it was almost 4 hours that one team was there.

The more I think about it, a u-turn on the first leg is a bad idea, since almost no one is going to take it until the final few teams. Even though it's blind, there's no strategy coming into play with it.

It'll be interesting to see how the blind dates work out, but it's too early to say much one way or another. It's an obvious play for viewers/ratings, though.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Dr Tran posted:

Also, that phone has a GPS on it, cheat you dummies.

I'm sure it's hard coded to off heh.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
I thought fitbit was an awesome choice for a new sponsor. They should post each team's results for each leg. The black team in second to last was nice because they were rooting for everyone (but not in a six pack way). Truthfully I hate that they feel a need for a gimmicky season, but it could have been worse.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I hate the blind date gimmick but that was still an enjoyable first episode.

Man, don't do the dance on Amazing Race if you can avoid it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I almost want to think that the selfie thing is going to be part of the final memory task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

:siren:

• Locked thread