Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Double post for good news: The Amazing Race has been renewed. No info on time-slot or number of seasons (1 or 2) yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I guess that's good news because I love the show, I just hope the next seasons are less gimmicky instead of more. Something tells be its renewed because of how successful the product placement has been, so I expect to see a lot of legs involving driving a Ford.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
THEY BETTER loving FIX THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I guess that's good news because I love the show, I just hope the next seasons are less gimmicky instead of more. Something tells be its renewed because of how successful the product placement has been, so I expect to see a lot of legs involving driving a Ford.

My absolute favorite moment of the last episode was the car breaking down, then it going right into the promo for Ford about them being vehicle to get the racers everywhere and bah blah.

With the final 3 teams all being blind dates, I have a feeling the heads at CBS will demand more gimmicks :(

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Part of me wonders if this elimination mid leg was the plan (admittedly most likely) or if they gave Mike/Rachelle a break cause of the car thing. I can really see their producer/legal folks getting a call from the camera guy saying "this car's brakes are about to explode" and ordering them to stop now.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Toast posted:

Part of me wonders if this elimination mid leg was the plan (admittedly most likely) or if they gave Mike/Rachelle a break cause of the car thing. I can really see their producer/legal folks getting a call from the camera guy saying "this car's brakes are about to explode" and ordering them to stop now.

Yeah, it smells strongly of a production audible. On the other hand, it being a superleg couldn't be adlibbed, but they can adlib a mid-leg elimination.

No speed bump was mentioned, right?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Can they change the rules like that in the middle of a leg? I get confused by all of the laws that we have regarding game shows (if it is considered a game show). I remember a few seasons ago when the team forgot their passports at a gas station, the film crew specifically showed it happening but they couldn't say anything to the team about it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ariza posted:

Can they change the rules like that in the middle of a leg? I get confused by all of the laws that we have regarding game shows (if it is considered a game show). I remember a few seasons ago when the team forgot their passports at a gas station, the film crew specifically showed it happening but they couldn't say anything to the team about it.

When last place is caused by a production error, they will (either it's confirmed or strongly suspected) audible in a non-elimination leg since it would be unfair to eliminate them. I'm not sure how they get around Speedbumps in these cases; it could be that their time is credited.

Since they are designing the race on the fly, they can then kill a non-elim later on. I don't know if this actually happens, as the internal rules are very unknown, but it would make sense, like taking away late holidays in a school year to make up for snow days. Could also explain why so many Speedbumps seem like cheap, last-minute ideas. ("Sit on ice chairs for twenty minutes!")

Leaving your passport behind is not a production error, so that would never count. However, hypothetically, if you were last because your car got towed despite being in the designated area, that does seem like it would count. Or if you were pulled over because the race-supplied car had a tail light out. Or if your cameraman was injured and you had to wait for help. Things like that, I imagine, would count.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Golbez posted:

When last place is caused by a production error, they will (either it's confirmed or strongly suspected) audible in a non-elimination leg since it would be unfair to eliminate them. I'm not sure how they get around Speedbumps in these cases; it could be that their time is credited.

Since they are designing the race on the fly, they can then kill a non-elim later on. I don't know if this actually happens, as the internal rules are very unknown, but it would make sense, like taking away late holidays in a school year to make up for snow days. Could also explain why so many Speedbumps seem like cheap, last-minute ideas. ("Sit on ice chairs for twenty minutes!")

Leaving your passport behind is not a production error, so that would never count. However, hypothetically, if you were last because your car got towed despite being in the designated area, that does seem like it would count. Or if you were pulled over because the race-supplied car had a tail light out. Or if your cameraman was injured and you had to wait for help. Things like that, I imagine, would count.

When the team was not experienced enough to erase all production errors that caused delays to the contestants, they gave teams that suffered from the delays time credits. I'm very doubtful that they would audible in a non-elimination leg to save a team that had some kind of trouble.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Golbez posted:

This notably happened in season 17 when one team got badly screwed over at a Detour because the judge of the task made a lot of bad calls. So they ended up not having to do a Speedbump on the next leg since what happened wasn't their fault. You can read about it here
http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/the-amazing-race-leg-omitted-speed-bump-due-production-issues-11697.php

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
There have been far worse things that have happened to teams in the past and production didn't change it to be a non-elimination leg so I doubt that's the case here, especially since they had a Final 4 last season. The only time that I recall the race being changed in the middle because of production errors, aside from the time credits mentioned, is when one of the clue givers for a task was mistaken on the correct answer. Even then, I'm pretty sure the leg was already predetermined to be a non-elimination, they just added a bunching spot in the next leg and got rid of the speedbump.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I <3 Mike, he's trying so hard. I'd like to see Jenny kick a field goal.

Also gently caress TAR for that footage of the guys reaching the top of the stadium, I now have a bad headache and feel like I'm going to barf.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

That's the shittiest cab driver ever.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Hands down the worst finale ever.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
The cherry on top of an incredibly underwhelming season :v:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why do you guys think it was a bad finale? I actually think it was the best recent finale because it was actually exciting and every task had failure potential, the potential to change the lead, and there was a somewhat decent memory challenge.

The bad part of it was the truck stoppers getting hosed 3 times in a row by cabs across two episodes (cab breakdown, cabbie not staying at stadium, and the gasoline thing), but they kind of got an extra life last episode anyway.

I was so pumped that it was Hayley that screwed up spotting the flags. Contrast how much poo poo she would have given Blair had he done that, and how chill and positive he stayed. His attitude was the main reason their team was in contention throughout the race, a lesser person would have gotten mad at her and mailed it in on some earlier leg.

I really really don't understand why Laura told Jenny where the clue was, I would have played it off like "I think it is that thing on the parking garage after all", all's fair on final leg. Sheesh. Good thing that didn't cost them.

I found both the blind date thingy and the selfies to be annoying gimmicks but I at least was glad that the selfies played into the memory challenge.

Edit: On the inevitable high place challenge in the finale there is usually no failure potential, just the team or member's willingness to do it. I was glad there was a significant chance of screwup and that it claimed a team.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
That was a decent finale and the lead changed a number of times which was great. Better than lightbulbs and skydiving to a win.

I was just waiting for the doctor to drop the nurse and have one rant to her at the finish line. Shame it didn't happen. He seemed nice

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I thought it was a fine finale and a decent season. It was a terrible dud of a gimmick, but that wasn't too important to me. I do think that they need to shake things up a bit for next season though.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
They really need to just hire some specific drivers for the final leg at this point. The amount of times teams have been knocked out because of bad cab drivers is pretty crazy.

The leg itself wasn't too bad, as Zwabu said, the challenges at least had some potential for failure and the lead changed multiple times.

The seasons was rather lackluster in general though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I thought it was funny that they didn't actually get the rights to use real Cowboys equipment and jerseys

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Since they showed a shot of the neon sign at Gilley's during the opening photo montage of Dallas, I was really hoping for a mechanical bull riding event. Oh well, next time maybe.

Blind Date/Looking for Love gimmick was lame and awful, and the selfies slightly less so. I'm surprised they didn't promote a specific brand of cellphone camera with the selfie thing.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Zwabu posted:

Since they showed a shot of the neon sign at Gilley's during the opening photo montage of Dallas, I was really hoping for a mechanical bull riding event. Oh well, next time maybe.

Blind Date/Looking for Love gimmick was lame and awful, and the selfies slightly less so. I'm surprised they didn't promote a specific brand of cellphone camera with the selfie thing.

The selfie thing led to a team missing their train while taking a selfie, which justified it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
GOD loving DAMMIT HAYLEY YOU'RE THE WORST :argh: Someone had to say it. Blair is a literal saint. I'd feel really bad about him losing but he is a doctor who apparently lives on a houseboat or something, so I think he's doing ok for himself.

bring them back for an all-star season please

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
My favorite team that weren't assholes and seem grounded won so I'm OK with it. I'm OK with the lawyers and doctors losing. They'll be alright.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
From a couple pages (and a month and a half) ago:

Andorra posted:

Laura & Tyler are so obviously winning I can't even believe it. They've been the only team to have their pictures shown in each episode, several episodes having only their picture and no other team's. Oh yeah, the selfies are bad too.

:golfclap:

I enjoyed the season. I don't know if that makes me a bad person, but I was entertained and I thought the cast was diverse enough (especially with the hated gimmick) to keep things interesting. It was nice to see a season focused on intra-team conflict without using the token horrible "the race is a metaphor for our relationship" dating couple.

If it weren't saddled with Phil trying to get everyone to make out at every single pit stop the "random teams" gimmick would have been a success in my opinion; the results of the race testify to that.

Edit: Also it would have been better if Andorra hadn't ruined it for me, because once I read that post I couldn't unsee their inevitable victory. Thanks, dude.

Tellah fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 17, 2015

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"
Wouldn't the selfies final task be a little uneven in difficulty if one team took all their pictures in front of recognizable landmarks/destinations and the other two, well, didn't? Happy it didn't come down to that, but it would've been odd had Laura and Tyler taken a selfie in a non-descript train and had to piece together which European country it was taken in.

Anyway, yes, Blair will do fine without the million dollars, so I'm not mad that he lost.

An uneven season but enjoyable overall, even though the gimmick was awful and didn't really do anything. There was a stark drop in TAR quality between All-Stars and Unfinished Business, so really anything is better than those doldrum seasons. I am happy that this show keeps chugging along and can now always fall back on its critical acclaim-- that entire year post-S4 was a dark time for everyone.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Tellah posted:

Edit: Also it would have been better if Andorra hadn't ruined it for me, because once I read that post I couldn't unsee their inevitable victory. Thanks, dude.

:smug:

The first thing that set me off was seeing them take a picture with Phil in the season premiere even though they were almost invisible the entire leg and didn't win it either. If I posted that then, man my e-penis would be so big right now.

The second half of the season was significantly better than the first, but given how bad that was it's not saying much. I will say that I enjoyed seeing the show come back to a city I've spent a lot of time in, although if they wanted a task to be more relevant to Dallas they could have had teams search for a specific car on I-35. It's not like it would be moving.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
On another news. This might be a troll or not.

https://instagram.com/p/2xVYjNP84C/

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Nexal posted:

On another news. This might be a troll or not.

https://instagram.com/p/2xVYjNP84C/

https://instagram.com/p/2ymrANP80r/

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

When the team was not experienced enough to erase all production errors that caused delays to the contestants, they gave teams that suffered from the delays time credits. I'm very doubtful that they would audible in a non-elimination leg to save a team that had some kind of trouble.

They have in the past. I forget which season but there was a car safety issue I believe.

They've called audibles at least that big before, and the elimination at the cattle drive would have been easily set up since they would only have planned for 3 anyway. Getting from Trujillo to Dallas is a long enough set of flights that it would have been pretty easy to fudge the rest. Not saying it happened but it's certainly possible.

Also concur with everyone that that was underwhelming finale, it certainly beats the Vegas one though. Really the only thing that redeemed it was Hayley singlehandedly knocking her team out and being unable to blame Blair. I loved her screaming at him to direct the cab driver to something she saw by herself.

Here's hoping watching this she gets some introspection and realizes what a total harpy she was being but my fingers aren't exactly crossed for that.

I've been saying for years though: Give them professional drivers to direct using a map or something the last leg, having things decided by cab drivers for the finale is lame as hell.

Toast fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 18, 2015

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wizardryo posted:

Wouldn't the selfies final task be a little uneven in difficulty if one team took all their pictures in front of recognizable landmarks/destinations and the other two, well, didn't? Happy it didn't come down to that, but it would've been odd had Laura and Tyler taken a selfie in a non-descript train and had to piece together which European country it was taken in.

Anyway, yes, Blair will do fine without the million dollars, so I'm not mad that he lost.

An uneven season but enjoyable overall, even though the gimmick was awful and didn't really do anything. There was a stark drop in TAR quality between All-Stars and Unfinished Business, so really anything is better than those doldrum seasons. I am happy that this show keeps chugging along and can now always fall back on its critical acclaim-- that entire year post-S4 was a dark time for everyone.

It was a little obvious when one of Jelani and Jenny's pictures had them celebrating getting their Express Pass.

I do feel this race dipped compared to the last; Laura and Tyler are a solid team but their competition isn't anything to write home about. Hayley/Blair should have self-destructed long ago, they weren't even fun to root against like Tim and Marie.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

It was a little obvious when one of Jelani and Jenny's pictures had them celebrating getting their Express Pass.

I do feel this race dipped compared to the last; Laura and Tyler are a solid team but their competition isn't anything to write home about. Hayley/Blair should have self-destructed long ago, they weren't even fun to root against like Tim and Marie.

I kept finding myself really really hoping that they'd get in a foot race to stay in the race at some point and Blair would stop just short of the mat and just watch her scream as the other team approached and checked in "Peace out bitch!"

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Toast posted:

I've been saying for years though: Give them professional drivers to direct using a map or something the last leg, having things decided by cab drivers for the finale is lame as hell.

I'd like to see the more of the legs designed to use public transit and foot/bike travel, anything to keep the race from being decided by a taxi. Sure, it's become a part of the race by now and it's a lot more challenging to navigate somewhere by yourself in a foreign city, but if you screw up at least it was probably due to something under your own control. If you need the racers to get into a car, get them outside the city by train or something first, do a challenge and then hop into your new 2016 Ford Focus with voice recognition and backup camera (Available at Ford dealers everywhere now).

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If there's one thing this season was good for it's

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rockzilla posted:

I'd like to see the more of the legs designed to use public transit and foot/bike travel, anything to keep the race from being decided by a taxi. Sure, it's become a part of the race by now and it's a lot more challenging to navigate somewhere by yourself in a foreign city, but if you screw up at least it was probably due to something under your own control. If you need the racers to get into a car, get them outside the city by train or something first, do a challenge and then hop into your new 2016 Ford Focus with voice recognition and backup camera (Available at Ford dealers everywhere now).

My guess is that they use taxis in the final leg to prevent any home turf advantage by any teams who either live in that state or have visited it enough to know their way around.

If a Texan team knew how to drive everywhere and even take local shortcuts then that's a significant advantage.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The only time I can even think of a team having a home advantage was in the first season. Frank & Margarita were from NYC and the last cluebox was only about a few blocks away from their house, so Frank was telling their taxi driver the fastest way to get there that would avoid traffic. Except it was in the early hours of the morning without any traffic so the other team went directly there on the main road and won.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I remember Marcus and Amani's race finishing in their hometown of Atlanta and thinking it would be a huge advantage for them, but instead Marcus spent like three hours trying to land a plane in a flight simulator.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

My guess is that they use taxis in the final leg to prevent any home turf advantage by any teams who either live in that state or have visited it enough to know their way around.

If a Texan team knew how to drive everywhere and even take local shortcuts then that's a significant advantage.

Actually the reason (that my mind is telling me was explained at some point in a behind the scenes interview) is it keeps the teams from being too dangerous while the adrenaline is pumping as they approach the final finish line.

I see absolutely zero problems with providing them a car and a driver who's instructed to only go where they tell him and provide no info. Solves the dumb cabbie problem anyway and the "advantage to people who's lived/visited there a lot" is already there with the cabbies at times anyway in the finales. We've seen people able to shortcut clues/jump ahead before. As long as they don't finish in a city where someone actually permanently lives (not that difficult through casting really) I think it would be a lot less unfair than watching one of the teams be eliminated by cab dunces seemingly every finale the past few years.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Toast posted:

Actually the reason (that my mind is telling me was explained at some point in a behind the scenes interview) is it keeps the teams from being too dangerous while the adrenaline is pumping as they approach the final finish line.

I see absolutely zero problems with providing them a car and a driver who's instructed to only go where they tell him and provide no info.

Letting the teams drive themselves on the last leg is a bad idea, they'll be going 160 mph on the highways and running red lights to get that sweet, sweet million dollars.

Having the production team line up 3 or 4 cab drivers who will stick around for the whole leg and have a full tank of gas and know where everything is, but won't actually go anywhere unless the teams tell them would go a long way towards turning the finale from 2 teams racing to the mat and one team stuck with a bad cabbie to all the teams having an even chance.

Or get Google to sponsor the next season and use self driving cars for the last leg :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
4. Jordan K: A question for Blair. What moment did you really have a gut feeling that you and Hayley weren't a match?

Blair: I was overcome by the amount of positive energy Hayley brought to the starting line and it was awesome to know that she worked as a nurse. I think on paper, we seemed like a great match. Hayley is an attractive woman with great qualities. I just knew pretty early on that she is not the right fit for me. I probably came to that realization on the way to LAX on the first leg.

• Locked thread