Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

paperchaseguy posted:

4. Jordan K: A question for Blair. What moment did you really have a gut feeling that you and Hayley weren't a match?

Blair: I was overcome by the amount of positive energy Hayley brought to the starting line and it was awesome to know that she worked as a nurse. I think on paper, we seemed like a great match. Hayley is an attractive woman with great qualities. I just knew pretty early on that she is not the right fit for me. I probably came to that realization on the way to LAX on the first leg.

We all did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

On her RHAP exit interview Hayley came across like a nice person and all the other contestants seem to like her a lot.

The post-show stuff makes Laura come across way worse than anyone else. Hayley said Laura & Tyler would make fun of other teams a lot, specifically Mike & Rochelle. Laura seems like a lovely person.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
I was a late starter to the amazing race (season 12 was my first), so have gone back and watched since old seasons in hulu,so far watched seasons 6 and 7

First of all a couple observation, the tasks were a lot more physical and a lot less talent based, there were absolutely no singing or dancing. So I kind of like that as no one gets caught in a task they just can't do.

Second, it's obvious the rest periods were a lot less, simply by the fact of the lack of any makeup on any of the racers. Not sure how Kynt and Vixon would have survived these early years.

The 1 thing I can't stand is the non elimination penalty, I can't stand the begging, especially when it happens in undeveloped countries.

What season did they end the begging aspect of the show? I know speed bumps sometimes are pointless, but it's a lot better then begging. I don't even mind the taking of possessions, but the no money sucks.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

There was a racer named Kynt? Please tell it's pronounced how I think.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Not quite, but he acted like one.

I think the begging for cash thing stopped after the terrible family edition. It was changed to having the last place team in a non-elimination leg having to finish first in the next leg or face a time penalty at the end of the leg. It didn't last long before being changed to the current system where most of the tasks are just a glorified time sink anyway.

The Amazing Race Canada just started last week. It's too early to see if there are any standout teams yet but I'm hoping that the course goes more than a couple of legs outside of Canada since they've pretty much covered the 9 interesting places to go in Canada already.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
I want to say the first superleg was because they were in a country where begging was illegal. I actually really like where the rules have ended with non-elims and double u-turns. I think they've done a great job of refining the race basics. But the seasons haven't been as great because of not enough variety in casting (where's my Gretchen and Meredith?) and poor leg design (not giving as many ways to change the order people finish, not traveling after a non-elimination leg).

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

MrDingleDangle posted:

I was a late starter to the amazing race (season 12 was my first), so have gone back and watched since old seasons in hulu,so far watched seasons 6 and 7

First of all a couple observation, the tasks were a lot more physical and a lot less talent based, there were absolutely no singing or dancing. So I kind of like that as no one gets caught in a task they just can't do.

Second, it's obvious the rest periods were a lot less, simply by the fact of the lack of any makeup on any of the racers. Not sure how Kynt and Vixon would have survived these early years.

The 1 thing I can't stand is the non elimination penalty, I can't stand the begging, especially when it happens in undeveloped countries.

What season did they end the begging aspect of the show? I know speed bumps sometimes are pointless, but it's a lot better then begging. I don't even mind the taking of possessions, but the no money sucks.

The begging penalty was from seasons 5-9. In seasons 1-4 there just straight up wasn't a penalty and in seasons 10/11 there was a 30 minute penalty for not checking in first the following leg.

If you're looking for suggestions of what seasons to watch, I'd recommend 3 and especially 5.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
You're actually recommending the season with Flo?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is there an amazing race canada thread? Cuz I just saw that its back on!

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

There was a racer named Kynt? Please tell it's pronounced how I think.

I've met him in person a few times. He's tiny.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Andorra posted:

The begging penalty was from seasons 5-9. In seasons 1-4 there just straight up wasn't a penalty and in seasons 10/11 there was a 30 minute penalty for not checking in first the following leg.

If you're looking for suggestions of what seasons to watch, I'd recommend 3 and especially 5.

Wasn't there something about having to start the next leg with nothing but the clothes on your backs, or was that part of the begging? I distinctly remember a team who knew they would finish last putting on every single piece of clothing they had.

John-311
Apr 1, 2005

Is there going to be a thread for Amazing Race Season 27? First episode aired on Friday.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Don't see a thread for 27 but the first episode is not too bad, although the teams seem a lot more gimmicky than the previous ones. Green Team sounds like it's gonna have a lot of overzealous enthusiasm/tears if they last, although lol at TMZ which has the potential most bitchy interviews getting kicked out due to loving up a sliding puzzle.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Seriously how do you not practice sliding puzzles before going on the Race or Survivor.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I know it's super cheesy, but I love seeing the teams dress up each leg.

While casting seems to have gotten very lazy ( a lot of media types), the cinematography seems to have improved.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
This is definitely the most uninspired casting I've seen on the show. I liked the idea of the unacquainted teams last season (sans the forced romantic angle) because the heart of the show is really the intra-team conflict and seeing how pairs weather the stress; watching a new take on that angle at least felt fresh.

I'm not sure if it was the (extremely) truncated introductions or the 'type' of people they cast this season, but none of the contestants resonated with me at all. Most teams got a pretty unfavorable edit, to boot.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Andrew_1985 posted:

I know it's super cheesy, but I love seeing the teams dress up each leg.

While casting seems to have gotten very lazy ( a lot of media types), the cinematography seems to have improved.

I took a few season break from the show, but decided to get back into it this season. It's one of the few shows my wife and I both really enjoy.

I agree on all counts -- the casting of news anchors and TMZ types is kind of lame. I like to imagine these are normal every day people who are being run through the ringer and the camera is catching them at their best and worst. The fact that these are seasoned media professionals is annoying. They're used to putting on a fake face for the camera....

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'd like to see an all Survivor cast on the race.

Or just nobodies. No more cheerleaders, paparazzi, nba/nfl/mlb and their wives, etc. Basically no more people in the industry.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It's absurd to have papparazzi AND tmz people in the same season. Thankfully the latter got boned by that puzzle

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
The green dude is like a real life Andre from The League.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
he's real annoying, but not as bad as the dudebros are pretending he is

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
This week's episode was a lesson in reading the whole clue

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I can't believe Mr. I've Seen Every Episode Of The Show Like 5 Times Each thinks that using U-Turns is playing dirty.

Oh wait, yes I can.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of these days I want to really dig into the concept of morality on a reality/game show like this. Big Brother and Survivor get it especially bad, with people getting bent out of shape that their opponents in this game for a huge sum of cash use the mechanics of the game (alliances, backstabs, Vetos, Immunity Idols, U-Turns, etc etc etc) to win.

I mean, seriously, who is honestly expecting to show up to a game and not play to win?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
It makes a certain amount of sense on Big Brother and Survivor where you spend 1-3 months in close quarters with someone and the emotional hothouse causes you to lose perspective. It doesn't make any sense on Amazing Race.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

jivjov posted:

I mean, seriously, who is honestly expecting to show up to a game and not play to win?

Well there are always three or four Big Brother contestants each season that do exactly this.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

LostRook posted:

It doesn't make any sense on Amazing Race.

I don't see why it doesn't. There's no strategy to Amazing Race, but if there's a team consistently placing first, why wouldn't you want to trip them up? It's a fun mechanic and I enjoy seeing it used, but I hate the inevitable whining about how unfair it is. You know it exists coming into the race, you can't act surprised when it happens, so why put other players down for essentially playing the game the producers are telling them to play?

If it's unfair to trip others, it should be unfair to jump over others, too (fast forward). But no one gets upset when a player uses a fast forward and calls them cheaters.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I meant the whining about unfairness and taking things personally doesn't make sense, other than people on reality shows just being terrible.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

To be fair, I'd probably be irrational about it as well if I were competing for a million bucks.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I think this episode secretly required each team to have a stray dog with them at all times

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I don't personally think the U-Turn is "unfair" but I"m more sympathetic to people saying it is than on Big Brother and Survivor. In the early seasons, Amazing Race stood out as the only show of the big 3 where your standing in the game depended entirely on your own efforts. There was no interfering with other teams because there was no mechanic to do so, and the game had a more positive feel than the other two. Then the Yield (and later, U-Turn) were introduced to deliberately undermine that, and I do think that those twists interfere with the underlying spirit of the show where you could survive based on your own actions.

It also doesn't help that the U-Turn almost always ends with one of the U-Turned teams being last and then eliminated, especially in the modern Race where the legs are super short and once you fall behind it's very hard to make up that time within that leg.

That said, it's weird when teams take out their frustrations on other teams just for using the U-Turn when a million dollars is on the line, rather than the producers for leaving an imperfect mechanic in the game.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
They should really introduce that heads-up thing from the Canadian version, where two teams compete in a task against each other and the loser has to compete against the next team arriving etc.

A thing I miss from earlier seasons is involvement from locals. Remember how Boston Rob used to commandeer people to show him around? Maybe I have rose-tinted glasses and stuff like that didn't happen all that often back then, but it doesn't seem to happen at all anymore (unless I'm misremembering the last few seasons).

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Boston Rob managing to get a starstruck local to sit in a cab with them for almost the whole episode is pretty funny and I wish that happened more often

I tried watching the new celebrity Chinese version of Amazing Race but holy crap, the first 30 minutes are devoted to taxi drama and they have yet to leave the loving airport. It really shows how editing is crucial for these shows

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

brocked posted:

I think this episode secretly required each team to have a stray dog with them at all times

Between this and previous seasons in Chile I think South America is actually ruled by dogs

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I loved seeing all those dogs. The formerly homophobic mum is a bit overbearing. They come off a bit Bates together.

Also, hope you all got the memo that Justin is this season's villain. He's pretty annoying. The limping texan guy is pretty hot too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

that express pass/u turn drama is so cringeworthy and long drawn-out, at least Victoria Falls is pretty!

wastedexpresspass.com

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
The inter-team drama sucks and is not why I watch the race, as mancalamania posted, the Amazing Race was originally all about surviving or failing on your own skills, and there really wasn't any big drama or fighting between the teams.

The super leg is pretty great, though. Along with a completely wasted express pass.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah this is not an alliance game and generally it doesn't come into play. I am glad their plan failed, and I don't think the other teams would have even cared if not for the express pass promise. That needs to go away.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014
If the Amazing Race were to go back to its roots with no U-Turn or gifted Express Pass, it would need to also return to a time of better casting and more likeable teams.

The only entertaining part of these episodes is the drama at this point, because I hate every team and can't really root for any of them in good conscience. Most of them look like they're about to devolve into screaming matches at any moment (Paparazzi, Estranged Mom, Chacattack(?)) or are so seriously deficient that they never stood a reasonable chance anyway (Little People, Homeless Dancers, ATHLETE Cheerleaders).

So I encourage them to amp up the rivalry between team God and Country and team I Am An Obsessed Lunatic for now, if they could please re-evaluate their casting choices and reinvigorate this show for the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
oh my god teams, stop whining and whinging about the goddamn uturn. This is for a million loving dollars, if you win and they don't then awesome, and if you won because you uturned them... Then awesome. Don't go on the show if you can't make a minor choice like that.

All this coming from the self-professed expert on the green team. If he really knew anything about the show he'd know that it doesn't loving matter if the uturned team survives, it's not like they have to live and work together on an island, it's not like they have any control over your race whatsoever except by retaliating the uturn, if even possible.

• Locked thread