Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

let me handwave away one of the best movies ever made because there are no women of significance in a 50 year old movie :qqsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

hemophilia posted:

let me handwave away one of the best movies ever made because there are no women of significance in a 50 year old movie :qqsay:

I'm not accusing the filmmakers of sexism. Hell, the movie's editor was a woman and she won an Oscar for it. It's just something that makes it unusual.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's not that unusual, the matrix made a billion dollars and two sequels without any women and that was like fifteen years ago

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hadaka Apron posted:

I'm not accusing the filmmakers of sexism. Hell, the movie's editor was a woman and she won an Oscar for it. It's just something that makes it unusual.

See also: the thing

Movies without women are usually good.makes u think

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mange Mite posted:

See also: the thing

Movies without women are usually good.makes u think

See also:

Das Boot
The French Connection

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

at the date posted:

See also:

Das Boot
The French Connection

The great escape
12 angry men
Reservoir dogs
Glengarry Glenn ross

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ryoshi posted:

it's not that unusual, the matrix made a billion dollars and two sequels without any women and that was like fifteen years ago

um excuse me this was the first scene in which you knew it was gonna be a badass rollercoaster ride through a cyberpunk dystopia

plus the "not like this" chick

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
I'll watch it with you, OP.

Haha, just joking. I don't have the time in my hectic schedule to watch such a long movie, and I wouldn't want to watch even a 15-second commercial with a human being like you anyway.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Hingehead posted:

It's been rebutted by historians that there was never any homosexual encounters. It's a common thing for arab young males to show feminist affections to other males., especially foreigners.

He comes as close to saying that he's gay in the first ten pages of his autobiography as you could have in England at the time without being literally sentenced to prison or castration

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

i remember going "whoa thats the dude from star wars"

It's a whole film of the Tatooine bit from Star Wars.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tujague posted:

He comes as close to saying that he's gay in the first ten pages of his autobiography as you could have in England at the time without being literally sentenced to prison or castration

Yeah I always wondered if I was missing something with that section because to my modern sensibilities it sounded gay as hell

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

That loving Sned posted:

It's a whole film of the Tatooine bit from Star Wars.

george lucas is a serial plagiarist

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

definitely, and cinematography, it was really designed to take advantage of the big screen

it looks ok on a big TV but seeing it in the theatre will blow you away

I saw the 4K digital theater rerelease and it looked better than IMAX. It's great on a 50" plasma, but a huge state of the art theater makes it an awesome experience.

Also, Peter O'Toole was one of the finest screen actors. Even in a crappy film, his presence made it better. I was floored when I realized he voiced the critic in Ratatouille.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 28, 2015

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez

Egbert Souse posted:

3 1/2 hours of loving incredible acting.

It's not bad but it's seriously 3.5 hours

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Hadaka Apron posted:

There are no female characters with any lines at all unless you count a bunch of women making wordless chants.

a movie made in the 50's about tribal saudi arabia didn't have female leads? :eyepop:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
movie was ok but where are the asians, i didnt see one samurai let alone a woman.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i dont like historial chinese epics because there aren't enough african americans in main roles.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ifuckedjesus posted:

It's not bad but it's seriously 3.5 hours

Then watch it in two sittings like I did.

That's no excuse for a lot of films being over three hours long, but at least the older ones had an intermission. Gives you time to reflect on everything that's happened so far.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Intermissions should be required on anything longer than 3 hours.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mange Mite posted:

Yeah I always wondered if I was missing something with that section because to my modern sensibilities it sounded gay as hell

No you did not, and it's wasn't "Historians blah blah well-known that certain people (misused word) farrrrt"

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Lawrence of Arabia is great. I saw it when I was fifteen. My dad was like "Want to watch this three+ hour epic with me?" and I was like "Sorry pops I gotta get back to Yoshi's Island". Then he said, well how bout we have some beers while we watch and I said OK and it was pretty great. I feel like a lot of dads and sons bonded over this movie for some reason.

Also it has an intermission. Intermissions own, I wish more movies had them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Also my dad's still alive, sorry to the guy who wanted the Dead Dad type stories.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Nice to see people appreciating the intermission. I was also glad that there was a bit before it started where there wasn't anything happening on screen and they just let the theme play all the way through before the movie started properly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so hang on did a 50's film actually show him raped by turks or what

that's pretty intense

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

so hang on did a 50's film actually show him raped by turks or what

that's pretty intense

wikipedia posted:

There is considerable evidence that Lawrence was a masochist. In his description of the Dera'a beating, Lawrence wrote "a delicious warmth, probably sexual, was swelling through me", and also included a detailed description of the guards' whip in a style typical of masochists' writing.[72] In later life, Lawrence arranged to pay a military colleague to administer beatings to him,[58] and to be subjected to severe formal tests of fitness and stamina.[73] While John Bruce, who first wrote on this topic, included some other claims which were not credible, Lawrence's biographers regard the beatings as established fact.[74]

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Oh poo poo I just realized that like 70% of my posting is written in a style typical of masochists' writing

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

A misanthrope posted:

good he'll be great in it

It's legitimately inspired casting

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

That loving Sned posted:

Then watch it in two sittings like I did.

That's no excuse for a lot of films being over three hours long, but at least the older ones had an intermission. Gives you time to reflect on everything that's happened so far.

And also to take a piss

I've stopped buying drinks or snacks for movies over 2 hours long. Take note movie theaters, you are losing money because od this

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS LAWRENCE OF ARABIA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, AUDA ABU TAYI. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME TURK BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS DESERT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL.4 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Zippy the Bummer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 1, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harald posted:

I will watch most things Werner Herzog

I thought Hugo Weaving was the real queen of the desert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

"Sergeant MacMullin, I will need your help administering this severe formal test of fitness and stamina. It's going to be mostly cardiovascular with an emphasis on sodomy--wait, where are you going?"

• Locked thread